Will you kill or Will you die -Iman Khan

Posted: 7 years ago
If you ask me whom I loved the most in the show I would say Iman. Yes Sid intrigued the analyst in me, but the man I enjoyed watching was Iman and Satyadeep did full justice to this role. 
If you ask me among the POWs who had the most desire to live, I would say that person was Iman. He loved life. He loved everything about life. Please note that before going for Kargil war he was a happily married man with a loving wife, adorable daughter and expecting his second bundle of joy. He had a loving brother and a dotting mother. If you ask me he was the man who is cup of joy was full and overflowing. 
But the most interesting thing about Iman was also this beautiful perceptions. It was the perceptions he created for the audience and it was also about the perceptions he lived in. If you ask me the journey of Iman Khan was from perceptions to reality. A bitter reality that is summed up there is not a man who is as alone as him, there is not a man who has lost as much as him. Yes the life he so very much wanted finally becomes a lone battle for him. A second chance which only he has got among the 3 POWs. So let me trace the journey of Iman. 

So this guy Iman comes back home after 17 years of prison. A prison in which he was tortured in such a way, no one can come and tell let us behave normal. If you see Sartaj his behaviour was the real normal after such a torture and what happened with them in the prison. If you see Marega ya Marega doesnt come much to Iman, it comes mostly to Sartaj. Reason is the action was done by Sartaj and beneficiary was Iman. Between Sid and Iman, Sartaj chose Iman. Iman was the observer of that action than the one doing the action himself. So he just wants to put behind the fact that one soldier has killed another soldier to save a fellow soldier. 

But somewhere it did linger in Iman that yes they did something which is not very right, something which they dont want the world to know. It reflected in his body language which Vikram caught on as something anti -Indian plot. 

As we progress what we see is each of the perceptions of this man coming down. First his daughter who gives him a rough shake up telling she cant see him as her father. Iman when faced with reality doesnt run away. He stands and fights, and finally wins over his daughter's love. 

Once again Iman is bought back to the perceived normal. He is happy. Everyone arranges for the second nikah of him and Naz. Then breaks his another perception. One Naz has accepted him after reading the letter he has left for her, another Naz is still in love with him. It was a very hard truth for Iman to know that his brother and wife has fallen in love. Again a difficult choice is kept on him. But Iman takes it. He leaves his wife telling a lie he wanted to divorce her so that in front of the society her choice to move ahead with Salim is not questioned. But Naz is shocked at all levels. She let go of both men, talks about divorce. Iman moves away from the perfect family. But still this man believes another perfect will come. His kids are there and if his brother gets his love well and fine. 
But that perception of Iman is also short lived. his past come calling in the form of Lala where Salim suffers an accident and he is asked to do anti India operation. Once again this man is asked to choose between family and nation. Seeing the terrible condition of his brother he chooses family and goes to betray nation. But then his family comes to him telling him they are there with him and he shouldnt take any wrong decision. Iman comes back from making a wrong choice. He talks to Vikram avert the disaster with the help of Sartaj. But then Sartaj tells him they are not yet free. Finally Iman makes the choice of telling the truth. They tell Vikram about Sid, meet Shobha and once again the perceived normal comes. 

Then comes the most shocking perception breaking. Sid is alive. I loved the scene where Iman reacts to this news. Reason is it is that time Iman realizes the impact of Sid being alive. As he was the real beneficiary of Sid's death. Without doing any action, without making any difficult choice he got a second chance. Again it is Vikram asks Iman can Sid change. Iman tells he cannot. Now what follows for Iman is a series of events where this perception is broken at multiple level ending with the line from Sid " Who told you escaped, I made your release possible". It was correct metaphorically, symbolically and physically.  It was below the belt for Iman. It was like telling him you got everything without actually doing anything. So what Iman gets in the end, a truth that his life is a gift which he got where his one brother died a soldier and other brother died a terrorist. What is he going to do about this second chance. Actually Sid tells the way forward for Iman indirectly. Army men are dying. What is happening to their families. When people die for you, are you looking at their families. You are a man who is a soldier, who is also a family man. You are a person who has seen and practiced the ethos of your motherland, yet you are a man who also knows how the people use the good things written in your Holy Book to brain wash people and use them for selfish purpose. In short you have seen lot, you have experienced lot, you have risen above perceptions. Life is a gift that involves sacrifices, freedom is not absolute, use it the right way. Knowledge has come through difficult experience, use it to light the path of others. Never squander away the chance that you got at the cost of other lives. Be a Karma yogi. Make a choice. Fight. Become a light.  It is not just to Iman, but it is to each one of us who is living. If you are living that means you have to do actions. Someone bought you till here, it is time you take next generation to something better. Life is normal is only a perception. It is full of choices, rise above perceptions and make them.
Beautifully written!! 👏

Though i love each and every character of this show, be it Imaan, Naaz, Vikram, Shobha. But Imaan has always been my favorite.

Among the three guys, Imaan had the most will to live. Sartaj and Sid both gave up at one point, but not Imaan. He willed to think that one day they will be free from the clutches of their torturers and go home.

When he came home, he tried his level best to get back into the new normal. He did everything he could to make up for lost time. But as Benjamin Franklin said "Lost Time Is Never Found Again". The life he perceived to be his after his return was a lie, because things had changed beyond repair. Naazneen and Salim were in love and his daughter Shaira was not ready to let him in.

Even after coming to know the truth about his brother and Naaz, he chose the honorable way and let her go. He chose to let them be happy instead of binding her in the prison of their marriage forever. 

Finally after so long Shaira accepted him and he gained her love.

I'm so glad that Naazneen called him when she did and that stopped him from planting that RDX, she saved him from being imprisoned in regret a second time. I shudder to think what could have been if she hadn't called 😭. 

His panic attacks, his scars, his fears and wounds, he tried his level best to ignore them and get back to the perceived normal, but nothing was normal! I believe after losing Salim everything worsened, Salim was like his anchor and when he lost him a part of him broke.

Vikram's words during yesterday's episode were true, there is nobody who has lost more than Imaan, and there is nobody who's as a lone as Imaan. This man lost all his brothers, his wife, he lost everything. Yet he manages to get up every morning and strive hard to live another day without faltering. If that's not strength, I don't know what is!

That last scene of Imaan and Naaz was brilliant, their love for each other is so beautiful, their relationship does not need a name.

A few lines for these two:

"Hamne Dekhi Hai Un Aankhon Ki Mehekti Khushboo, 
Haath se Chu Ke Isse Rishton Ka Ilzaam Na do, 
Sirf Ehsaas Hai Ye Rooh Se Mehsoos Karo, 
Pyaar Ko Pyaar Hi Rehne Do koi Naam Na Do"
Edited by sehar mehrotra - 7 years ago
Beautifully written Shruthi 👏

@sehar Iman is a man who knows the price of freedom. He has experienced it. He wanted to live, live with all. But then that was not to be. Still every moment he fights, he chooses and he takes another step. He displays exemplary strength in deciding to live than die. To make a difference. If you see he did make a difference to some army families by getting them compensation. He bought back Sartaj to normal. He wanted to bring back Sid too. But Sid had gone far away. I always say he took the burdens others put on him making choices. Choices that didnt destroy, but choices that preserved, choices that will sustain life. 
Thanks sp
I actually loved and related to Iman Khan the most. If you see Iman actually lost his brothers and wife in some 3-4 months. Like loosing 4 people in this short time is the worst thing that could happen to anyone. He wanted life. He wanted to live . He wanted to makeup for the lost 17 years but look what life he got. He didn't deserve it . This man lost everything. He deserves happiness and I hope that the last NazIm scene meant him getting the happiness .Sid's comments were both below the belt and Rude(Squadron Leader Iman Khan sahab) ... Satyadeep Mishra is the best thing that happened to this show according to me. I seriously love this show for giving me Satyadeep Mishra.
@Rushkara life is a tough thing, death comparatively is easy and I would say Iman chose the tough optionEdited by shruthiravi - 7 years ago
Originally posted by shruthiravi

@Rushkara life is a tough thing, death comparatively is easy and I would say Iman chose the tough option
If you listen to the song Dhaage ... There is a stanza that truly stands only and only for Iman
Jeene ki khwaaishe jeete jee pighal Rahi
Jaise Bawri si baarish dhup me hai jal Rahi
Jeene ki khwaaishe jeete jee pighal Rahi Jaise Bawri si baarish dhup me hai jal Rahi
Tootega Kaise ye bikhra aasman 
Behta hai baadal jo thairega kahan...
Iman when he came back was able to handle stress better then Sartaj because he was happy when he saw nazneen & assumed that she waitd for him all along . He had his share of troubles & adjustments to make but he strived to succeed . He has faced many hiccups as well as he knew it better then anyone else that it was difficult for his kids & family to just accept him someday which reflected in shaira's behaviour as she kept on testing him but he handled everything patiently . He loved being near his family . If you remember the epsiode when he is a guest with Naaz in her show , he looked so lively . He didn't deserved that 17 years of torture as Vikram said but still he had to endure that. Despit the physical ,mental trauma he was strong enough . With time he was accepted by his kids as well & just when he thought he has everything now wit the second chance he received his past comes & stands in front of him. The moment that happens iman feels immensely guilty which only increases when he realises that Naaz doesn't know about any of it . Then the truth is unfolded before him by his mother about Naaz moving on with Salim & iman realises the blunder he committed by coming between them unknowingly . But iman always cared for his family & even then he stepped aside for Naaz & salims happiness .iman always was mentally stronger then Sartaj but situations changed him. Salim's death , Lala's threats got the better of him & he would have committed the same crime which sid did if it wasn't for Naaz. His stress & depression increased after the incident & only time he found himself calm was when he was on duty. Even though he separated from Naaz but still they remained friends & cared for each other deeply which was shown during Naaz' stay in Karachi . How concerned he was. He always thought of others before himself. His reaction on knowing sid is alive proves how shocked he was at that moment & he was happy to see him on screen & when he returned back from Pakistan. He was happy that finally The burden he & Sartaj carried was gone . He was smart enough to catch Vikram when he was put under surveillance. He had found brothers in sid & Sartaj because they shared pain & hope together in that cell. He was lonely today because he actually doesn't have any one with him. The fact he tried to talk sid out of the madness he put himself in sho s how badly he wanted sid to make the most of his second chance. He has been a perfect father , brother, friend & soldier. Sartaj'a death literally broke him but he continued for the love of his country despite pain . Iman lost ppl who were close to him the most . Still I am hoping he would find some happiness down the line .as Naaz said he always cared for others but himself & never blamed anyone for his suffering .Edited by MS-meghasharma - 7 years ago

@sehar Iman is a man who knows the price of freedom. He has experienced it. He wanted to live, live with all. But then that was not to be. Still every moment he fights, he chooses and he takes another step. He displays exemplary strength in deciding to live than die. To make a difference. If you see he did make a difference to some army families by getting them compensation. He bought back Sartaj to normal. He wanted to bring back Sid too. But Sid had gone far away. I always say he took the burdens others put on him making choices. Choices that didnt destroy, but choices that preserved, choices that will sustain life. 
Thanks sp
Beautifully expressed by you
Originally posted by sehar mehrotra

Beautifully written!! 👏

Though i love each and every character of this show, be it Imaan, Naaz, Vikram, Shobha. But Imaan has always been my favorite.

Among the three guys, Imaan had the most will to live. Sartaj and Sid both gave up at one point, but not Imaan. He willed to think that one day they will be free from the clutches of their torturers and go home.

When he came home, he tried his level best to get back into the new normal. He did everything he could to make up for lost time. But as Benjamin Franklin said "Lost Time Is Never Found Again". The life he perceived to be his after his return was a lie, because things had changed beyond repair. Naazneen and Salim were in love and his daughter Shaira was not ready to let him in.

Even after coming to know the truth about his brother and Naaz, he chose the honorable way and let her go. He chose to let them be happy instead of binding her in the prison of their marriage forever. 

Finally after so long Shaira accepted him and he gained her love.

I'm so glad that Naazneen called him when she did and that stopped him from planting that RDX, she saved him from being imprisoned in regret a second time. I shudder to think what could have been if she hadn't called 😭. 

His panic attacks, his scars, his fears and wounds, he tried his level best to ignore them and get back to the perceived normal, but nothing was normal! I believe after losing Salim everything worsened, Salim was like his anchor and when he lost him a part of him broke.

Vikram's words during yesterday's episode were true, there is nobody who has lost more than Imaan, and there is nobody who's as a lone as Imaan. This man lost all his brothers, his wife, he lost everything. Yet he manages to get up every morning and strive hard to live another day without faltering. If that's not strength, I don't know what is!

That last scene of Imaan and Naaz was brilliant, their love for each other is so beautiful, their relationship does not need a name.

A few lines for these two:

"Hamne Dekhi Hai Un Aankhon Ki Mehekti Khushboo, 
Haath se Chu Ke Isse Rishton Ka Ilzaam Na do, 
Sirf Ehsaas Hai Ye Rooh Se Mehsoos Karo, 
Pyaar Ko Pyaar Hi Rehne Do koi Naam Na Do"

Thanks sp

These are such beautiful posts on Imaan... 👏 ❤️ 

Come what may and he would never complain.. Blaming destiny was never Iman Khan's style.. His inner strength was truly God gifted.. Life was never fair to him as well but the biggest virtue he had was that of gratitude .. Whatever he had, little or more, he always thrived to make the best of it.. Whatever opportunities life gave him he welcomed with his open arms, even if within those opportunities also, there were struggles associated .. He has always been a great fighter and kept fighting every extra year, every extra day, every extra hour... He represented tremendous will power.. 

A brave soldier and a wonderful human being... He was a very strong character.. A very very strong person.. 👏