Account of Victory of Peshwa Bajirao over Nasir Jung

history_geek thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 7 years ago

An account of the Victory of Peshwa Bajirao over Nasir Jung
With Allusions to Mastani, Chimaji , Nana Saheb & Brahm Swami

There are over half a dozen letters translated from Marathi into English, quoted in this post.

This post also includes detailed description of Bajirao's stay in Delhi in 1737 when he was contemplating burning Delhi to teach a lesson to the Mughal Emperor, as he was angry with him over an issue. This post explains the reasons of his anger too.

Few days back i came across a FB post which had quoted a book by a historian, describing how Peshwa was defeated by Nasir Jung. The book had quoted some references to support the claim. In this post, the references given in that book have been examined. After proving those references incorrect, more original contemporary references are provided which actually prove the victory of Bajirao over Nasir Jung in the last battle of his life, fought in 1740. Lot of original Marathi documents are quoted in this post. So, this post is also a rebuttal to what was written by that author.

This post also throws light on the close bond which the two brothers - Bajirao and Chimaji shared. Both of them, even after staying away on different campaigns used to keep each other updated about their actions, and were always ready to help one another when ever required. Especially, Chimaji's importance in life of Bajirao & his son Nana Saheb is explained in this post.

Along with Chimaji, there is a mention of Mastani also. Those who have seen the movie Bajirao Mastani may remember the last war which the Peshwa made with Nasir Jung while Mastani was under imprisonment. This post lists the sad state of mind of the Peshwa during that time.

Some lines are also present for the teacher of Peshwa and Chimaji - Brahm Swami. I wrote about Brahm Swami in my last thread too, during the discussions. :)

In addition to the above things, the post is a demonstration of the solid character, wit & sharp brain possessed by the fighting Peshwa. There is a very long letter written by him to his brother Chimaji in 1737. The translation of entire letter is present in this post. Thanks is due to Maddy who has beautifully translated all these Marathi letters for me & to Radhika for enriching the contents of this post.

In this letter we get a glimpse of his personality. If you remember the first thread (this is 2nd) which i made in this forum, i had listed his personality traits. If you keep that post in mind and read the present post, you will see it all coming in front of eyes.

For example :

i. In the letter in the present post, the Peshwa talks with great respect about his enemy Khan Dauran (as was mentioned in the last post, that out of respect for the old age of Nizam, the Peshwa agreed to leave him at peace for some time!)

ii. The Peshwa wanted to burn Delhi but ultimately he did not burn it saying that Delhi is a great city and what will he gain by destroying such a city ? His anger is with the Mughal Emperor and not the city of Delhi or its inhabitants.

iii. The Peshwa keeps a close eye on his enemies' movements. He writes such minute details about his enemies to his brother in the letter that one thinks that he was watching his enemies through his own eyes!!

iv. The letter demonstrates the fearless and no nonsense approach of Rau. He writes to his brother that- " He will harass his enemy, hoodwink them, and if they come to fight him he will destroy them. There is no need to worry about him (his life)." A strong belief in himself.

v. The Peshwa's strong belief was accompanied with his confidence. There is a very fine line between idiocy and confidence. The Peshwa knew this line well. In this letter, he tells his brother of the reasons why he did not attack his enemy at Agra and chose to attack them near Delhi. As i wrote in the last post, he not only knew when to fight, but also knew when NOT to fight. And he brought the enemy out of its srong hold to a position he decided to carry the battle. These are some of his traits which can not be missed.

There are more such character traits of the Peshwa which come out in open after going through the letter. I leave it to you all to read the post and pick up your favorite parts. :D

There are also references to Nadir Shah's plunder and destruction of Delhi ; and the Peshwa, in a a letter written to Chimaji says that he wanted to go to Delhi to get rid of that 'monster' - as the presence of a "foreigner" in Hindustan was not a good omen. How history would have been if Bajirao had gone and routed Nadir Shah ? He was confident of repulsing Nadir!

Note :
Peshwa considered the territory till the Fort of Attock (now in Pakistan) as Hindustan and that it belonged to the natives of this land.

Without further wait -
Here is the link to the present post. Let the action unfold :

https://mariam-uz-zamani.blogspot.in/2017/02/victory-of-peshwa-bajirao-on-nizam-nasir-jung-and-allusions-to-mastani-chimaji-brahmendra-swami.html#.WKROWjh2m1t

Last Thread Link :

Shrimant Peshwa Bajirao Ballal | Life of a Genius and his Feats
https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4790301

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

history_geek thumbnail

----- Reserved to share link of updates (to be) made in this thread -----

This painting of 1790 shows the Peshwa signing a treaty with the British, as a consequence of the Anglo Maratha War.

This is the scene of the Ganesh Mahal, inside the Shaniwarwaada.
The actual size of this painting is aprrox. 7 feet X 11 feet.

Note the BIG murtee of Lord Ganesh and Lord Vishnu on the left. Also, do not forget to admire the beautiful ceiling whose sides contain some extremely beautiful paintings of various Hindu Gods describing their actions. Ex : Killing of various demons.

One can ONLY imagine, how beautiful this would have looked like in its hey days!

This is now in the British Museum.

Inverted Image for a better detailing :

history_geek thumbnail

----- Reserved -----

Painting of Balaji Vishwanath

Shared on my last thread
By Shruti

history_geek thumbnail

----- Reserved -----

Here is an artistic impression of the Shanivarwada which i found last year. This has been drawn keeping in mind the literary sources of that time which explain how grand this 7 storeyed building appeared that time.

In fact, the Shaniwarwada of Bajirao Mastani movie looked similar to what i imagined after viewing these designs / pictures.
This one is not of a great quality. But gives an idea of the grandeur it once had.

It was made using pure Teak (pest resistant)- the best of the quality available, with best possible oiling done. This appears like the Panch Mahal of Fatehpur to some extent. Some parts was burnt in the 1830s and remaining were consumed by the "mysterious fires" during the reign of Britishers.

Lots of Maratha monuments disappeared like this. It is said these mysterious fires were 'properly planned ones' ; for systematic erasing of the symbols / legacy of the previous rulers (Marathas) by the new masters (British).

RadhikaS0 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Res
Unres

Wonderful post Abhay! Quite interesting for me because of the link to Hyderabad. :)

History is said to be a subjective field, open to interpretation and as in the present case, often, historians look for evidence that supports their pre-conceived notions of the past and overlook the inconvenient details. Recently there is talk of rewriting history books to "prove" that MP won the battle of Haldighati. 

Pity that multiple versions of history are allowed to be propagated freely esp on the internet but even at the level of academic books. Our kids grow up believing distorted facts to be true.

Coming back to the post, Baji Rao defeated Nasir Jung decisively and even reached the doorstep of the Mughal empire. It's a pity that while he could scare the living daylights out of the Mughals with his sudden appearance amidst them, he could not or did not build on this success and confront them for control of north India. Perhaps if he had lived a few years more, he might have been able to further his cause in this direction. History is full of such if's and but's.

Abhay, let me confess, I am not a die-hard fan of Baji Rao (as yet). To me with my limited knowledge, he seems like a regular person with his strengths and weaknesses, his quirks and his charisma. Neither to be put on a pedestal for his war skills nor to be denounced for his personal life. 

We cannot separate the personal life of a warrior from his battles because invariably they have an influence on his mindset and reactions. Mastani was one such volatile factor in the Peshwa's life who had a catalystic effect on his temperament. This would be different from the effect, say Kashibai or Radha bai would have on him because they were steady factors and would have been a solid source of quiet strength for him. 

I wonder how Baji Rao was able to maintain his relations with Chimaji with such equanimity during the last battle when the latter was involved in the house arrest (?) of Mastani for various reasons. The knowledge that Mastani was in a difficult position in a hostile family / society might have weighed heavily on his mind and added to his frustration at not being able to set things right. While it is melodramatic to imagine he pined away for her, emotional stress can negatively impact a person's chances of recovery from serious illness. 

I just wonder if his family ever felt any guilt that they might have contributed to his distress during his last days. 

Apart from being an invincible warrior, Baji Rao was quite mature enough to be able to balance his relations with his family (as seen in his correspondence with his brother) and his second wife.

Another thing that I am curious about - Baji Rao chose his battles - where and when to fight. If the conditions were not amenable, he slipped away from confrontation, as we saw in this post during his retreat from Delhi.  What would the result have been if he had been attacked by surprise when he was unprepared for it? Did this ever happen? Or did he take steps to ensure that he was never caught by surprise? 

Another interesting thing i observed in Baji Rao's story is that the Peshwa-ship became a dynastic fiefdom and overtook the rulers in valour and strategy. 

Do you think the Marathas were influenced by the guerrilla tactics of MP during his later years? 

Many questions, LOL - hopefully they will be answered in discussions on your threads. 

Will start reading the old PB thread soon. :) Keep posting 👍🏼

Edited by RadhikaS0 - 7 years ago
RisingPhoenix thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Thanks a lot for sharing 
Just finished reading the blog post.
I had previously read about Nasir's death by Pathan so I always wondered about the 'last campaign' of Bajirao against Nasir
All I knew was Peshwa won the fight and got jagirs
The details in letters were pretty new to me
The letter shows how skilled and wise Rau was even under crucial circumstances. I'm getting those books this vacation. It will be an amazing read
Thanks once again to everyone
The pictures are awesome. Tfs👍🏼
MaddyO thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Abhay wonderful post 👏 
Kudos to you for taking such active interest and so much effort to bring out the reality of Bajirao's victories. 
So much research for compiling all the evidences in support.  It is incredible how you linked those different letters.  As you told me there are 400+ such letters!  These letters ARE history.

I got goosebumps thinking of Bajirao Peshwe and his army riding through Delhi!
The days when Mugals used to send massive armies to Deccan and it was Bajirao who turned this into Marathas attacking and conquering Mugals.

It was such a special feeling to read the letters.  To peek into the mind of such a great man, his confidence his bravery his military acumen his fierce pride his towering personality.  The details in the letters, the planning, the reasoning behind planning any campaign, the logic and practicality in altering those plans, at all times thinking of victory and keeping Maratha honor high.

Chimaji Appa, in history littered with backstabbing murdering blood relatives - a rock for Bajirao and Nanasaheb.  The love, respect, trust for each other shines thru in those letters.

Reading your post 2 things occurred
Shivaji Maharaj, Bajirao Peshwe, Akbar - all warriors who fought so many wars and all of them did not die on war field.

PB serial is making so much of Bajirao's being alpayushi, but Chimaji Appa died in less than 1 year after Bajirao and he was the younger brother.  So he must be have been less than 40 then.

Why did Shivaji Maharaj and Bajirao Peshwe had such short lives?  How different India's history would have been if they had lived 20 years more?!

Edited by MaddyO - 7 years ago
MaddyO thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: history_geek

----- Reserved -----

Painting of Balaji Vishwanath

Shared on my last thread
By Shruti

Thanks Shruti for sharing this 😊

Wonderful painting.  He has such typical bramhin looks, the fair skin, straight nose, light eyes. 
Abhay you had mentioned in your previous post that Bajirao was very handsome man.  Is there any such painting available of Bajirao?

The.Lannister thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Why a new thread? 😕 I totally missed out on this thread. 
Will read everything & comment😳 And like Maddy said above, if possible do share pics of Bajirao if possible😳 I would love to see the man over whom the women of the Nizam showered pearls😉😆
The.Lannister thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: MaddyO

PB serial is making so much of Bajirao's being alpayushi, but Chimaji Appa died in less than 1 year after Bajirao and he was the younger brother.  So he must be have been less than 40 then. (Chimaji was 6-7 yrs younger than Baji. So when he died he must have been just 33-34. Imagine the pain this family must have gone through, losing two sons in a year, and sons as these😭)

Why did Shivaji Maharaj and Bajirao Peshwe had such short lives?  How different India's history would have been if they had lived 20 years more?! (This is a often repeated question in my house as well. Why are all the corrupt, treacherous losers blessed with a long life while the patriots die so young.)

Edited by The.Lannister - 7 years ago