Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DanmeiLover thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 7 years ago
Great post as usual Abhay . Full of interesting tidbits and informations.
Just one correction, there's no mistake as of now, because it was clearly mentioned that it's a 7 year leap, so Rau is not 12 year old, but just 7 yr old , and therefore we're in 1707 , so Auranzeb is still alive ( I bet he'll die soon. ) and Shahu ji is still in captivity . The time line is intact.
history_geek thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Lady_Macbeth

Great post as usual Abhay . Full of interesting tidbits and informations.

Just one correction, there's no mistake as of now, because it was clearly mentioned that it's a 7 year leap, so Rau is not 12 year old, but just 7 yr old , and therefore we're in 1707 , so Auranzeb is still alive ( I bet he'll die soon. ) and Shahu ji is still in captivity . The time line is intact.

Thanks for pointing it, Garu.
That means the core political setup is intact.

goofyCat thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 2 Thumbnail
Really appreciate your informative posts with every minute detail paid attention too 👏

First point, I was wondering who that hermit is, thanks for clearing the doubt.

Second point, are you referring to the man who was with the horse? Balaji addressed him as 'Vithoji' and Dhanaji had already told him about this spy who was working in Mughal camp for quite a long time. I don't remember Balaji talking to anyone else, please correct me if I am wrong.

Coming to third point.
Shivaji never expressed any desire that his kingdom should be inherited by Rajaram, and not by Sambhaji. Shivaji was very well aware of capabilities of his both sons, and believed that Sambhaji (even with his weaknesses) was the right person to lead Marathas in the battle against Aurangzeb, something that he had foreseen before his death. Sambhaji was deliberately kept away from the happenings at Raigad at the time of Shivaji's death, but soon after that he claimed everything rightfully (This is quite a well known fact).

Yes, Tarabai's reasoning looks believable at first sight. But not to forget that when Sambhaji was in power, the war had just started, and Aurangzeb was with his full force with his army in multiples of that of Marathas which made the fight much tougher. During Rajaram's era, Santaji Ghorpade and Dhanaji Jadhav actively led all the battles and were the major reason behind many of the victories against Aurangzeb.

I also read one more interesting thing recently. Yesubai was still help captive by Mughals even after Shahu's release, to make sure that Shahu doesn't go against the conditions on which they released him. So that may also be the reason behind Tarabai's initial resistance to believe in Shahu and give away all powers to him!!

PS: You can address me by my name, Rashmi 😊
Edited by _goofyCat_ - 7 years ago
MaddyO thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Hi Abhay 😃 long long time..your thread ⭐️
Seeing some of my favorite authors like you, Radhika Diksha Aayushi here brought back memories of JA. 

I have not watched all the episodes yet but I checked out forum reading your thread and comments about episodes seems like great start to serial.

I read some comments especially about Sambhaji Raje and Rajaram Raje and their relations here.  I think it might help to know a little bit of the background.

Shivaji Maharaj's first wife Saibai died sometime after Sambhaji's birth leaving the infant Sambhaji to be raised by Jijamata (Shivaji Maharaj's mother for those who don't know).
She was very emotional about Sambhaji being a motherless child.  Shivaji Maharaj had felt she was not being the tough disciplinarian with Sambhaji like she was when raising Shivaji Maharaj.  Jijamata had replied Shivaji Maharaj had his mother Sambhaji does not.

After Shivaji Maharaj started living on Raigad, Jijamata could not stand the cold chilly weather on fort so she stayed in wada in Pachad below Raigad.  Sambhaji Maharaj mostly stayed with her.

Soyarabai - Rajaram's mother took over some of the administration from Jijabai as she grew older and completely after Jijabai moved away to Pachad.  Shivaji Maharaj being away a lot it used to be Soyarabai and some of the Ashta Pradhans who used to wield all the power.

Sambhaji and Rajaram shared a great fondness for each other and there wasn't any rivalry that I have read between them.
Soyarabai was the one who was fiercely ambitious and wanted to see Rajaram succeed the throne. 

Sambhaji Raje was a brave warrior, he was away a lot and it is said that the Ashta Pradhans were closer to and under influence of Soyarabai a lot more.  Sambhaji was usually not on Raigad.

Tarabai was the daughter of Prataprao Gujar Shivaji Maharaj's ex-senapati (Chief of his army) who was killed just sometime before Shivaji Maharaj's coronation.  When Rajaram's marriage was fixed, Shivaji Maharaj wanted to invite Sambhaji Raje for the marriage and to mend the family relations but Soyarabai had refused to let the marriage happen if Sambhaji was invited.

After Rajaram's marriage, news had reached Raigad about Aurangzeb himself entering into Dakkhhan (or south as Shivaji Maharaj's kingdom used to be referred by Mugals) for the final battle.  Shivaji Maharaj had predicted Aurangzeb will not win this war.  After getting this news, he had sent emissary to bring back Sambhaji Raje to Raigad and wanted to consolidate the army.

Unfortunately Shivaji Maharaj passed away soon after.  Soyarabai had kept the fort doors locked during his last illness and so Sambhaji Raje could not come to meet him.  Shivaji Raje wanted Sambhaji to succeed him.  Soyarabai had support of some important ministers but the army supported Sambhaji Raje totally.

It is said that Sambhaji Raje had Soyaraibai killed as it was suspected she had poisoned Shivaji Maharaj after she learnt about Sambhaji Raje invited to Raigad.  I don't know how far this is true.

Rajaram was a sickly child and he was cosseted too much by Soyrabai.  Sambhaji Raje was a brave fierce warrior and I have never heard Rajaram referred to as such.

Similarly I have never read about any great discord between Sambhaji and Rajaram.  Even Yesubai (Sambhaji's wife) was very fond of Rajaram and vice versa.

They showed Rajaram's dying wish was to see Shahu (Sambhaji's son) succeed after him, this shows that Rajaram had great love for Sambhaji.  Whatever tussle or rivalry over the throne it was between Soyrabai and Sambhaji Raje. 
I think more from her side since it was assumed that Sambhaji Raje would be the successor to Shivaji Maharaj.

PS : I read in a book - Jijamata referred to Sambhaji and Rajaram as Sun and Moon born to Shivaji.  Sambhaji fiery brave but temperamental impulsive and Rajaram gentle calm affectionate.

Edited by MaddyO - 7 years ago
MaddyO thumbnail
I find Tarabai's character very interesting the way they have shown her. 

She was daughter of Prataprao (Kudatoji) Gujar the senapati of Shivaji Maharaj.  She was a brave fiery lady who
had taken over the duties and responsibilities of the Rajya after Sambhaji Raje was brutally tortured and killed and with Rajaram sickly. 

I find great logic in her character when she said that throne cannot be kept empty awaiting Shahu's unknown arrival.

Her points about if Shahu is even alive or if he is alive whether he is not influenced by Aurangzeb in his thinking, whether he retains the same love for Rajya is also bang on.

Seen from her view point - her son and Shahu were of the same standing as they both were grandsons of Shivaji Maharaj.

I love her character so far.  I really wish they retain the human imperfect sides of the characters and do not turn them into total white or total black.  It becomes so much more interesting to watch such characters.  Pallavi Joshi is doing a wonderful job.

MaddyO thumbnail

Originally posted by: _goofyCat_

Really appreciate your informative posts with every minute detail paid attention too 👏

First point, I was wondering who that hermit is, thanks for clearing the doubt.

Second point, are you referring to the man who was with the horse? Balaji addressed him as 'Vithoji' and Dhanaji had already told him about this spy who was working in Mughal camp for quite a long time. I don't remember Balaji talking to anyone else, please correct me if I am wrong.

Coming to third point.
Shivaji never expressed any desire that his kingdom should be inherited by Rajaram, and not by Sambhaji. Shivaji was very well aware of capabilities of his both sons, and believed that Sambhaji (even with his weaknesses) was the right person to lead Marathas in the battle against Aurangzeb, something that he had foreseen before his death. Sambhaji was deliberately kept away from the happenings at Raigad at the time of Shivaji's death, but soon after that he claimed everything rightfully (This is quite a well known fact).

I agree.  Sambhaji Raje's bravery was never in doubt.  It was his lack of judgement in choosing his advisors that was the issue.  Soyrabai being on Raigad cultivated the Ashta Pradhans to her side while Sambhaji Raje never much bothered to play this politics.

Army was on his side totally.

Yes, Tarabai's reasoning looks believable at first sight. But not to forget that when Sambhaji was in power, the war had just started, and Aurangzeb was with his full force with his army in multiples of that of Marathas which made the fight much tougher. During Rajaram's era, Santaji Ghorpade and Dhanaji Jadhav actively led all the battles and were the major reason behind many of the victories against Aurangzeb.

This is a good point 👏 Shivaji Maharaj died with the biggest war of his life on the thresh-hold of his kingdom.  Sambhaji Raje did not even have full support of all the Ashta Pradhans.  Anaji Datto was against him and Moropant Pingle the Prime Minister also had reservations.  Sambhaji Raje also won some important wars.  Aurangzeb had vowed he will not go back to Agra till he won the battle and took over Maratha kingdom, which he never managed to do.  Aurangzeb won lot of wars but not the full battle.

I also read one more interesting thing recently. Yesubai was still help captive by Mughals even after Shahu's release, to make sure that Shahu doesn't go against the conditions on which they released him. So that may also be the reason behind Tarabai's initial resistance to believe in Shahu and give away all powers to him!!

PS: You can address me by my name, Rashmi 😊

filtered_chaos thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
This thread is so awesome. I love reading all the posts here. Makes me realize that I know so less about the glory of Maratha Empire and other lesser know rulers

Can anybody suggest me a good book in English describing the Maratha Empire or even Bajirao's story? I've never been this curious 😆
The.Lannister thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: Mental_Manadhil

This thread is so awesome. I love reading all the posts here. Makes me realize that I know so less about the glory of Maratha Empire and other lesser know rulers

Can anybody suggest me a good book in English describing the Maratha Empire or even Bajirao's story? I've never been this curious 😆

I am reading "The Era of Baji Rao" by Uday Kulkarni at the moment. That was the only one I could find in English  After this I plan to read the Marathi ones but I take time reading Marathi so that will be a long term project 😆
filtered_chaos thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: The.Lannister

I am reading "The Era of Baji Rao" by Uday Kulkarni at the moment. That was the only one I could find in English  After this I plan to read the Marathi ones but I take time reading Marathi so that will be a long term project 😆

Thank you. One of my friends who's a history buff recommended me the same book. Going to place the order on Amazon asap 😆😆
fatssrilanka thumbnail
Love reading your posts. This show is very interesting and hope it stays this way. Tara bai's character has many shades. Pallavi Joshi is apt for this role. Uptil now all the actors were awesome. Let's see what's in store next wek.