Awards Don't Come with a Promise of Giving More Work: Manoj Bajpai

awesomegurti thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 7 years ago

Manoj Bajpai says awards don't come with a promise of giving more work - watch video

Manoj Bajpai feels that rather than having industry-based award shows, there is a need to have an award show in the country which recognises talent from across Asia...

In his career spanning nearly two decades, Manoj Bajpayee has bagged several awards but the actor says they don't come with a promise of giving more work but to recognise true talent. At the 10th Asia Pacific Screen Awards (APSA) held recently, Manoj bagged the Best Performance award for his role as Professor Siras in Hansal Mehta's Aligarh. The actor says more than having an industry-based award show, there is a need to have an award show in the country which recognises talent from across Asia.

"We should have an award show like this in India where films from Asia are watched and rewarded. Awards don't give you work, but its a moment where you recognise (talent). Even getting a nomination at a platform like this is nothing short of an award," Manoj told reporters last night. ALSO READ - Aligarh's Manoj Bajpai thinks Bollywood awards are unabashedly UNFAIR - watch video!

The 47-year-old actor was speaking at a special party hosted to celebrate many accolades for Aligarh, including his latest award. Directed by Hansal Mehta, the film is set in the city of Aligarh and revolves around professor Shrinivas Ramchandra Siras, a sensitive Marathi language professor, who loses his job and is ostracised for his sexual orientation. Manoj sunk his teeth into the role of a gay, lonely man, who finds himself defenceless in the face of prejudice.

The actor says he is grateful to Mehta for giving him the film which is still touring several festival circuits. "We never thought the journey of Aligarh, which began in February, will continue for so long. It is still being shown at several countries and being praised. It was Hansal's vision and I can't tell you how thankful I am to Hansal for giving me this role." ALSO READ - Manoj Bajpai, Rajkummar Rao and team Aligarh urge you to come out against Section 377 - watch video!

On the work front, Manoj is excited to team up with his Satya director Ram Gopal Varma after nearly 14 years in the forthcoming Sarkaar 3. "I have a special appearance in Naam Shabana. Apart from this, I have Ramu's film, in which he has directed me after many years. I am very happy for that. I have a special appearance in Sarkaar 3," the actor said. Check out Manoj's whole conversation with the media in the video right here: