Ok Jaanu song Humma Humma: Anu Malik Fara Khan and Sonu Nigam reaction

iambest thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago

Ok Jaanu song Humma Humma: Indian Idol 9 judges Anu Malik, Farah Khan and Sonu Nigam review AR Rahman's song and its SHOCKING!

Indian Idol judges Farah Khan, Sonu Nigam and Anu Malik in disagreement with AR Rahman's Humma Humma remix for Ok Jaanu

By Soumyata Chauhan | Updated: December 21, 2016 3:51 pm
2SHARES
  • Facebook share
  • Twitter share
  • Share on Google+
comments
Ok Jaanu song Humma Humma: Indian Idol 9 judges Anu Malik, Farah Khan and Sonu Nigam review AR Rahman's song and its SHOCKING!

Post the success of Super Dancer, Sony Entertainment Television is all set to entertain us with Indian Idol. The 9th season of the popular singing reality show, which is going to premiere on 24th December 2016, marks the comeback of its original trio of judges, Farah Khan, Sonu Nigam and Anu Malik, who have come together on the platform after 12 years! The channel launched the show in a grand ceremony in Mumbai last night in the attendance of all the three judges.

While there were questions being asked about their camaraderie and their on-screen fights, I chose to ask them something which was really close to my heart. When Ok Jaanu's song Humma Humma released a few days back, it erupted a volcano of emotions in my mind. I had a few questions like "How dare they touch a classic like Humma Humma ?", "What happened to originality ?", etc, etc. And because Sonu, Anu and Farah have been associated with Bollywood music for so long, I decided to address my angst and ask them what's their take on the remixes of old songs. Here are few excerpts from the interview  -

2016 has been an year of remixes. We saw classics like Haseeno Ka Deewana, Lailo O Laila, Humma Humma and many more getting remixed. Remo Fernandes, the orginal singer of Humma Humma, recently expressed his displeasure over the remake. What do you have to say on this ?

Sonu Nigam said,"It will be very easy to criticize and look down upon what's happening in the present but I instead look down upon you, you are younger to me, you are from this generation. Human beings have this very sick trait of always looking down present and glorifying the past. I don't believe in that thing. I have seen films happening in my times too, I have seen some really trashy work happening in my times too. I would not like to look at life with such tainted glasses and look down upon and say what's happening is trash. I would see the brighter side. There are a lot of good things that are happening, good singers are coming. There are good songs being made. The business has definitely changed. Music companies have now become artist managerial companies. So they own singers. They would not work with someone who is not their singer, they will only approach me for a specialized song. Doing remixes is also a part of business. They own those songs and they want the new generation to reconnect with it."

But don't you think that this advent of remixes projects a dearth of originality and creativity in the current generation ?

Sonu added, "We are making enough original content too!"

Farah, Anu, you both have seen Bollywood grow over the years. What's your take on this ?

Anu said, "You know what, why are these people going back to old songs. All the big films (that released this year) have taken old songs and remixed it. Why don't they take the music composers, we are sitting right here. We are the ones who are creating the songs. They have taken our songs and remixed it. It's very important for you to compose a song, to create a song."

Farah added, "Can I tell you, it is happening world over. It's not only a Indian phenomena.World over people are,whether it's in television or in films, people are taking old movies and remaking them. People are taking old books and remaking them. Old television series are being made into webseries. So, I think nobody is really finding the time to write the original work because it's so much faster and quicker and easier to just buy an old thing and do it. Because to do a new thing, you have to sit and only do that. The sad thing is that the youngsters don't know about the old songs and they think that this is a new song. When I listen (remixes of) old 70s song, I want to run."

When particularly asked about Humma Humma, Farah said, "It's my friend's movie so I can't say anything. But there are good remixes. Bachna Hai Haseeno was a very good remix."

Anu added, "There is no harm in remixing a song if you want to enhance the song. I like one remix very much - Maine hoton se lagayin jo hungama ho gaya from Queen."

However, Farah corrected him soon and said it was not a remix they used the original song. To which Anu said, "Oh really! Then I don't know. But frankly, I think when the original is there and there are people who want to create why don't you go to them and ask anybody  to create a song."