doc.sam thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
'What One Heard in 1980s was Not Music, Melody is Now Returning' - Singer KK

By Richie Lasrado, Resident Editor, Daijiword.com

A Kandid Konversation with KK

Pics by Ganesh S Perla

November 25, 2006

In the first place it was his very first visit and concert in Mangalore. So he had to be in his elements.

But, what with the bad throat that nagged him during the earlier few days and a minor, yet inconvenient, headache that bothered him after travelling from Pune to Mumbai as part of the concert circuit on behalf of Seagram Imperial Blue, he would have loved not to be disturbed.

Yet, as agreed with us through the firm's public relations personnel on the previous day, Krishnakumar Kunnath would stick to the arrangement.

As we walk into his hotel suite soon after he addressed the press conference at the Taj Manjarun in the city a few hours before the concert on Thursday, November 23, KK appears as fresh as ever. 'Please try to wind up as early as possible,' - the team members' inhibitive caution greets us.

'So, here we go,' we said.

Excerpts from the conversation:

Tell us about KK.

KK stands for Krishnakumar Kunnath and my parents' names are C S Nair and Kanakavalli.  My family roots are in Kerala and Kunnath is my mother's house name.  I am a Malayali but I was born and educated in Delhi.

In spite of it, you seem to speak Malayalam so fluently. How did you manage it?

Probably I learnt it by conversing with my grandmother regularly at home.

You married your childhood friend Jyothy. Tell us about your family.

You are right. We know each other for 26 years, since 1980. We have a son and a daughter.

You have sung in different languages like Telugu, Tamil and Kannada. How did you manage with the different dictions?

Having the south Indian background has helped me the diction in different languages. Morever, I really take time to ensure that I get the diction and  the song perfectly.

Your very first stage performance was the rendition of that ABBA hit, "Fernando", when you were studying in Class IX. How come you steadily pursued Hindi music?

English albums made in India may have a limited appeal and reach.

How did you discover yourself as a song-writer?

Honestly, I have had no formal training in music. Somehow I have been born with this musical flair. Tunes just flow out.     

Tell us about your musical career and how it progressed.

It was 1992. I was in Delhi. I started with jingles and first one - Usha the number one. Then I realized that Mumbai was the place to build a career. So I moved over. I had submitted the tracks to Louis Banks, Ranjit Barot, Shiv Mathur and Leslie Lewis and given my contact number. Those days there were no mobiles. I would call my aunt every now and then just to find out if any music director had called. I got into film playback with 'Chhod aaye hum' which I sang for 'Maachis' and then I am into concerts and playback by turns. 

You have been a keen Kishore Kumar fan. Some thirty years ago, there were some greats like Mohammed Rafi saab, Mukeshji, Kishore-da, not forgetting others like Hemant Kumar, Manna Dey and Mahendra Kapoor. Each of them had a class of his own, making it difficult for music connoisseurs to try a comparison between any two of them. We do not find the same class and quality now. Any explanation?

It's true. That was a great era. (Laughs) Kya karen? Now you have to be contented with the likes of KK and others. I agree the music has lost its quality over the years. I remember the music of the 1980's. We used to get angry when we heard that brand of music. Now later the trend has changed a lot thereafter. The melody has returned to some extent.

Maybe with '1942 - A Love Story'?

Yes, that was part of the change. But perhaps 'Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak' marked the real turning point.

There have been Rafi clones and Kishore clones over the past years. Have you tried to mould yourself on the lines of any role model of yours?

The originals are always originals. They can never be matched. I have always tried to have my own identity.

What is your opinion about remixes? Musical experts say that remixes ruin the beauty and sanctity of the originals

It's become part of the industry. Everyone knows any copy cannot match the original. You got to live with it.

A lawyer specialized in intellectual property rights says that the rights of the owner of the intellectual property are paramount. Accordingly, even public performance of another's song amounts to violation of the copyright.

It is difficult to keep track of violations in a vast country like India. Personally I feel that once you release your music on sale and circulation, you may have to accept it as public property. You can do nothing about it. If one is so possessive of his music, he has to create a CD of his own, keep it in his pocket or listen to it all alone at home.

Your own hit - the title song of your first album - 'Pal' was re-done by the Indian Idol finalists. Do you feel that full justice has been done to the original by the novices?

It was all right. I am happy that my song became popular again after a gap of full six years.

The song 'Pal' is so inspiring and touching. Did you write the lyrics?

No, the score was mine. But Mehboob wrote the lyrics. He is writing the lyrics for my second album expected to come out soon.

This is our farmaaish: Will you sing it for us tonight?

If you are present at the show, I will certainly sing it for you.

Any most memorable incident during your shows which could share with us?

There are many. But the one that has touched me most was when a senior gentleman of about 65 came to see me after a show and said when he heard me he missed Kishore a little less. That was a great moment for me.

How do you expect your very first concert here in Mangalore to go on?

It was to happen much earlier and was planned on two or three occasions, but somehow it did not work out. Now that we are here finally, we will go all out to entertain the gathering. There is only one worry about a possible shower.

Our prayers are with you, not to be troubled by rain.

Great. We will do full justice to your wishes.

Mangalore is a music-crazy city. What is your message to your fans and music-lovers of the city?

Wonderful. Let's all go crazy together !

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

CaLiiZ*DiiMe thumbnail
gracias for sharingg sammyyyyy 😛
qazi_luv thumbnail
OMG He looks disgusting in the pics! 😕