durdhara or nandani

swriter thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 7 years ago
Chandra Nandni: 5 Reasons Why Nandini Cannot be durdhara

After watching Chakravartin Ashoka Samrat on TV, we will now get to witness the story of his grandfather, the founder of the Mauryan Empire - Mahaan Samrat Chandragupt. Besides, the fact that Rajjat Tokas is essaying the character of Chandragupta Maurya simply increases our happiness by twofold. No wonder, we know what a brilliant actor he is. And now that another talented actor Shweta Basu Prasad is giving him company as his partner, we are sure the serial Chandra Nandni will be a chartbuster.

Though everything looks great, there are few questions that are troubling almost everybody - Who was Nandini? Was She Durdhara? Or whether Nandni and Durdhara are two different people? If you too are wondering the same, do look into the analysis of why Nandni cannot be Durdhara.

(1) Nandni of Chandra Nandni is Fictional

The name of Chandragupta Maurya's wife was not Nandni but Durdhara. Though the role of Nandini has been inspired from Durdhara, there are no such documents and/or texts that can hint any connection between the two.

Basically, Nandni is just a fictional character created with a motive to ascend the curiosity amongst the historical fictional lovers. Moreover, not naming the character as Durdhara gives the writers some creative advantage.

(2) Nandni is Dhana Nanda's Daughter Whereas Durdhara was Chandragupta Maurya's Cousin

In the serial Chandra Nandni, the makers have shown Nandni (Shweta Basu Prasad) as King Dhana Nanda's daughter. Now Dhana Nanda is the same king of the Nanda Dynasty whom Chandragupta Maurya had defeated with the help of Chanakya to build the very foundation of the Mauryan Empire.

On the contrary, Durdhara wasn't Dhana Nanda's daughter. She, in fact, was Chandragupta's cousin - the daughter of his eldest uncle (mother's brother).

(3) Nandni of Chandra Nandni is a War Princess, Durdhara Wasn't!

The makers of Chandra Nandni are emphasizing that Nandini was fearless, courageous, brave and a warrior princess. Obviously, we will see her with training with swords and other weapons in the serial.

However, if Chandragupta Maurya's wife would have been a warrior princess, we would have known. There would have been some instances in the chronicles that would have been her testimony. But now that we have nothing concrete, it is sure that Durdhara wasn't a warrior princess. In fact, as mentioned above she was not even a princes.

(4) Durdhara Wasn't a Spoil of the War

There are some theories that state that Durdhara was Dhana Nanda's daughter and that Chandragupta Maurya took her as the spoiler of the war and later even married her, looks like the story of Nandini is inspired from this assumption. However, Chandragupt's wife Durdhara wasn't a spoil of the war unlike assumed. She wasn't even a princess but a common girl.

(5) Chandra Nandni is the Story of Hatred Turning into Love

There are no records stating that Chandragupta Maurya hated his wife Durdhara or vice-versa. In fact, he loved her dearly. This is the reason why he didn't marry even though she died early. Nandini isn't even Helena - Chandragupta Maurya's greek wife because he married Helena in his 40s post defeating her father Selecus Nicator.

PS:     According to Mahavamsa-tika,Durdhara was the daughter of chandragupta's maternal uncle and thus it can be said that she was his first cousin who later became his wife. while, according to the Nanda dynasty lineage, it is clearly mentioned that Durdhara was the daughter of Dhana Nanda, Who was killed by Chandragupta Maurya, the founder of the Mauryan Empire, after the latter captured Pataliputra, the capital of Nandas.

Edited by swriter - 7 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Shinning_Stuti thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
There are too many contradictory historical sources depicting the era of Chandragupta Maurya. Even the historians have doubts and different opinions... It's not possible to understand from our place which one is authentic and which one is not. Besides none can prove whether CGM, in 300 BC, had loved his wife or had hated her once upon a time, whether his wife was skillful in war or only a normal girl etc etc by reading the documents. In historical lovestories I feel imagination takes a greater part than historical authenticity... And this show is clearly a historical fiction.
I don't care if Durdhara and Nandni are same, or Nandini is fictional or whatever... I am okay with the show and going to enjoy it till they keep the standard and refrain themselves from introducing bhoot, witches, icchadhari naagins, bramrakkhases and kala-jadu.πŸ˜•πŸ˜†
swriter thumbnail

Originally posted by: Shinning_Stuti

There are too many contradictory historical sources depicting the era of Chandragupta Maurya. Even the historians have doubts and different opinions... It's not possible to understand from our place which one is authentic and which one is not. Besides none can prove whether CGM, in 300 BC, had loved his wife or had hated her once upon a time, whether his wife was skillful in war or only a normal girl etc etc by reading the documents. In historical lovestories I feel imagination takes a greater part than historical authenticity... And this show is clearly a historical fiction.

I don't care if Durdhara and Nandni are same, or Nandini is fictional or whatever... I am okay with the show and going to enjoy it till they keep the standard and refrain themselves from introducing bhoot, witches, icchadhari naagins, bramrakkhases and kala-jadu.πŸ˜•πŸ˜†

I only tried to give right facts dear.
I also know that it is historical fiction show.
But when they are going to introduce durdhara separately then
I only want to say one thing that.
Chahe USS ko maghadh ki princess dikhalo yaaa Chandra ki cousin
Vo ek hi durdhara not a nandani.
Ek hi girl ko two places par dikhane ka try maar rahe hain
πŸ˜†

All stories are going to mixed up by ekta mata.

U r right no one care about real facts then enjoy your journey.
All the best 😊
swriter thumbnail

It is really wowww 😳
Abinaya_24 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Tanq for sharing yaarπŸ˜ƒ
  I am tired of discussing abt who is nandhini and Durdara,  so decided to sit back and watch after all it is ekta's showπŸ˜†
  Anyways this information is really interesting
 Thanks for the pm πŸ˜Š
Shall I ask ur name??πŸ˜›
OmkaraKiParvati thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
When the articles regarding the shoe came on air, I read through the entire history of The Mauryans to check as to who was Nandini. And I found no one.
Why Ekta wants to show the love story of a King and a fictional Princess is beyond my comprehension. I mean, why cnt she show what is already there ?? She can show the story of Chandra and Durdhra. And she made Helena(Cordelia) a vamp. 

Sigh... But I love the actors playing the roles. They are too good..
bunny_LeoLan thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Hmmm thanks for sharing this..  
Although i will go with the other members that I, too,  am tired of pulling my poor hair while trying to find out the real history behind cgm's love life.. and that no one really knows what had happened such a long time back during the mauryan era.. 
But after reading all these discussions in the forum and the article shared by you,  i think that nandini is a fictional character- this fact has got the more weightage and no matter how much difficult it is for the audiences to accept a love story of a real king with an imaginary heroine,  we shall have to come in terms with it and admit that ekta show dekhni ho toh dimaag toh phenk doπŸ˜† 
There is no need of the organ called brainπŸ˜†

We can still enjoy the show..  Considering every other show in the tv world having only imaginary stories,  why cant we have another fiction based serial?? πŸ˜›
Yeh dharawahik bhi kisi bhi aitihasik ta ka dawa nahin karti hai..  πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
Edited by Barbie_KK9629 - 7 years ago
.FemmeFatale. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
actually there is a lot of confusing stories regarding durdhara being the cousin. And another story supported Durdhara being Dhananand's daughter. But in Imagine's CGM,durdhara was shown as Dhanananda's daughter and she was a warrior princess there too I think. And she was smart and feisty. There was a lot to like about that character imo. 
What I can make out of this big khichdi is this-Ekta expects this show to be a big hit and to run for ages,therefore,she expects some time leaps,and thus Durdhara will have to die and there can't be a love story with a corpse. So they brought in Nandini. 

swriter thumbnail

Originally posted by: abiariel

Tanq for sharing yaarπŸ˜ƒ

I am tired of discussing abt who is nandhini and Durdara, so decided to sit back and watch after all it is ekta's showπŸ˜†
Anyways this information is really interesting
Thanks for the pm😊
Shall I ask ur name??πŸ˜›

Sure dear this janki and u?
swriter thumbnail

Originally posted by: Barbie_KK9629

Hmmm thanks for sharing this..

Although i will go with the other members that I, too, am tired of pulling my poor hair while trying to find out the real history behind cgm's love life.. and that no one really knows what had happened such a long time back during the mauryan era..
But after reading all these discussions in the forum and the article shared by you, i think that nandini is a fictional character- this fact has got the more weightage and no matter how much difficult it is for the audiences to accept a love story of a real king with an imaginary heroine, we shall have to come in terms with it and admit that ekta show dekhni ho toh dimaag toh phenk doπŸ˜†
There is no need of the organ called brainπŸ˜†

We can still enjoy the show.. Considering every other show in the tv world having only imaginary stories, why cant we have another fiction based serial??πŸ˜›
Yeh dharawahik bhi kisi bhi aitihasik ta ka dawa nahin karti hai.. πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Yaaa u r right buddy , we can enjoy it as fictional love story.
I only wanted to clear the air, that there was not any nandani.
There was only durdhara in every story.
Ekta has only mixed up all stories.