Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RadhikaS0 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 7 years ago
Abhay,

Sharing something about the confluence of the Indian and Greek cultures - how Indo-Greek coins started being minted and how much the Indian culture was valued by the Greeks. 

Based on available evidence, it appears that the notion of money as coins was conceived by three different civilizations independently and almost simultaneously. Coins were introduced as a means to trade things of daily usage in Asia Minor, India and China in the 6th century BC. Most historians agree that the first coins of world were issued by Greeks living in Lydia and Ionia, located on the western coast of modern Turkey. These first coins were made in about 650 BC of Electrum, a naturally occurring alloy of gold and silver. They had definite weight and were stamped with punches issued by the local authorities.

Both literary and archaeological evidence confirm that the Indians invented coinage somewhere between the 5th and 6th centuries BC. A hoard of coins discovered at Chaman Huzuri in 1933 AD contained 43 silver punch-marked coins (the earliest coins of India) mixed with Athenian coins and Achaemenid (Persian) coins. The Bhir (Taxila in modern Pakistan) hoard discovered in 1924 AD contained 1,055 punch-marked coins in very worn-out condition and two coins of Alexander in mint condition. This archaeological evidence clearly indicates that the coins were minted in India long before the 4th century BC, i.e. before the Greeks advanced towards India. 

Panini wrote his Ashtadhyayi in the 4th or 5th  century BC in which he mentioned Satamana, Nishkas, Sana, Vimastika, Karshapana and its various sub-divisions to be used in financial transactions. Thus, coins were known in ancient Indian literature from 500 BC. There is also a strong belief that silver, which was not available in Vedic India (pre 600 BC), became abundantly available by 500-600 BC. Most of the silver came from Afghanistan and Persia as a result of international trade.

The first Greek coins to be minted in India, those of Menander I and Appolodotus I bear the mention "Saviour king" (BASILEOS SOTHROS), a title with high value in the Greek world. Menander and Apollodotus may have been seen as saviours to the Greek populations residing in India. The title was also inscribed in Pali (the Kharohi script) as Tratarasa on the reverse of the coins. Most of the coins of the Greek kings in India were thus bilingual, written in Greek on the front and in Pali on the back, an unprecedented concession to another culture in the Hellenic world! 

From the reign of Apollodotus II, around 80 BC, Kharoshthi letters started to be used as mintmarks on coins in combination with Greek monograms and mintmarks. Possibly local technicians started getting involved in the minting process. Incidentally, these Indo-Greek bilingual coins were the key to decipher the Kharohi script by James Prinsep (1799 -1840).

The coinage of the Indo-Greeks remained influential for several centuries throughout the Indian subcontinent:

The Indo-Greek weight and size standard for silver drachms was adopted by the contemporary Buddhist kingdom of the Kunindas in Punjab, the first attempt by an Indian kingdom to produce coins that could compare with those of the Indo-Greeks.

In central India, the Satavahanas (2nd century BC- 2nd century AD) adopted the practice of representing their kings in profile, within circular legends.

The direct successors of the Indo-Greeks in the northwest, the Indo-Scythians and Indo-Parthians, continued displaying their kings within a legend in Greek, and on the obverse, Greek deities.

To the south, the Western Kshatrapas (1st-4th century AD) represented their kings in profile with circular legends in corrupted Greek.

The Kushans (1st-4th century AD) used the Greek language on their coinage until the first few years of the reign of Kanishka, when they adopted the Bactrian language, written with the Greek script.

The Guptas (4th-6th century AD) also showed their rulers in profile, within a legend in corrupted Greek, in the coinage of their western territories.

The latest use of the Greek script on coins corresponds to the rule of the Turkish Shahi of Kabul, around 850 AD.
Durgeshnandini thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Thanks a lot for sharing this! 

I wanted to sit back and read with patience, not just understanding but evaluating the treasure trove of information that your blogs invariably are. The first two mighty Emperors mentioned in the blog article, Bimbisara and Ajatshatru, are the only names I was aware of - this post only surprised one to think the heights of fortunes to which our country had risen owing to the huge wealth assembled by the various rulers. 

A special mention of the numerous terracotta artefacts included in this article, it must be painstaking to figure out the people and events - I could hardly make out the human forms in a few. One question, most of these terracotta plaques have holes pierced into them, is there any special reason for that? Or is it so that they can be hung up on the walls like paintings? 

Also the appliques and the extensive usage of burnt clay, in the making must be a descent from the Indus Valley Civilisation, which is famous for the terracotta artefacts excavated?

Thanks for the pm.
Antara123 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I will read this one. xD Thanks for the links, bro. 
Love
Naj
Kalgi22 thumbnail
Abhay
Thank you so much for this informative post and the collective pictures of plaque and terracotta, is really helpful to know about life style of that era. Really a great reading about Nanda dynasty. So that means this show also not that much deviated from the history. It's really interesting to know that Puranas stated Nanda as second Parasurama... The destroyer  of kshatriya. 

Thanks again. 
history_geek thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5

Thanks everyone, for the response. Some very interesting points, which make up for a good discussion. I will be responding, at length, as soon as time permits. :)

Wars

For now, i wanted to share few points about the mention of involvement of Indians in the ancient wars before the arrival of Alexander. I plan to cover the battle of Alexander and Porus in detail, if time permits. Till then, lets see this.

There is an account by the Greek historian Herodotus who was writing in the 5th century BCE. This was the time many years before Chandragupta Maurya came to the throne! We are going way too back in time.

Since, India was the province of the Ancient Persian Empire (which i mentioned in the earlier post on CGM), hence, Indian troops were sent to fight the battle of the ancient Persian empire in Europe mainland, under the son of Darius the first at Macedon and at the legendary Thermopylae.

He says that the forces of Gandhara kingdom carried bows and spears capable of fighting in a close combat.

While the Indian soldiers who came from beyond Gandhara were dressed in cotton clothes and were armed with reed bows, spears and arrows of cane, tipped with iron. These were used in long range combat.

India supplied --

-cavalry
-chariot
-riding horses
-horses to draw the chariots
-large number of (war) dogs(?)

2nd Description

A physician of the Achaemenid empire in early 5th century BCE (about whom was mentioned in the first post on Chandragupta Maurya) explains about something which -

" in each jaw, has 3 rows of teeth and at the tip of its nail it is armed with stings by which it defends itself in close fight and which it  discharges against distant foes, just like an arrow shot by an archer. "

Another interesting observation :

Megasthenes who lived in the court of Chandragupta Maurya, says that the king/s does not harms the farmers of his enemies, while fighting wars with them!

Perhaps, this was a part of what some historians call the establishment of "Dharma" or the establishment of righteousness !

Edited by history_geek - 7 years ago
Lifeis_mistake thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Thank you so much ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
As I am collecting the info regarding this particular part,you helped me a lot.
mandy001 thumbnail
Thank u so much for ds info Edited by mandy001 - 7 years ago
SenAnu thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Thank you Abhay for this post.. It gives a detailed and comprehendable idea of the dynasty.. :) 
history_geek thumbnail

Originally posted by: abiariel

Awesome and needed post๐Ÿ‘

Thank you. :)

history_geek thumbnail

Originally posted by: ErisedWitch45

Very informative. Thanks for the links

You're welcome. :)