History of Nandas | From Alexander 2 arrival of CGM | Update Pg-3 Wars

history_geek thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 7 years ago

Hey all.

I have posted some information about the Nanda rulers. An attempt has been made to cover everything about the Nandas in brief. Made mention of important points.

Here is the summary of the post :

- Around the 6th century BC, the territories of 16 Mahajanapadas
- Fast forward to the assassination of Shishunaga King.

- A Conspiracy of Shishunaga's Perfidious Queen with Nanda Barber

- Origin of the Nandas
- Mahapadma Nanda

- Who was Dhana Nanda  - Mahapadma Nanda's brother or a son ?
- Were There Two separate Nanda Dynasties?

- Early Life of the Nandas | Robberers ?
- The First Nanda Ruler Destroys All the Kshatriya Kingdoms

- Nature of the Nanda Empire : A Loose Federation or Consolidated Empire?
- Reign of Dhana Nanda

- Estimate of the great fighting machinery of Nandas but hated by people
- Wealth Accumulated by the Nandas

- Invasion of Alexander and arrival of Chandragupta Maurya

The highlight is the pictures of various artifacts of the ancient period, related to war, women, dressing, the culture, etc. ; which was collected from various Museum visits.

Do share your views about the topic / details from your reading too.

Link : History of Nanda Rulers | Mahapadma Nanda and Dhana Nanda | Pre - Mauryan Magadha Empire before arrival of Alexander and rise of Chandragupta Maurya I With ancient sculptures

Edited by history_geek - 7 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

history_geek thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5

Thanks for the great response to the last post on Chandragupta Maurya :

Forum Thread Link:
https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4730845

Direct Post Link:
An Introduction to Chandragupta Maurya | The Builder of an Empire & Protector of Bharat

sharmacatty thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Thankyou for the pm,abhay.
I have to read your last 2 posts too. Will read soon!!

harshu27 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
thnx fr d pm abhay will read ur post and come up wid d comments if i have any doubts...😃
ErisedWitch45 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 5
Very informative. Thanks for the links
chahat4u thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Thanks for this post. Much needed; was searching for info. Since I had heard it was Dhananda and not Padmanand who Chandragupta had overthrown.
Nonie12345 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Wonderful post Abhay😃
Manzz thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3
😃 Thanks   ðŸ˜ƒ  ðŸ˜ƒ

😃  ðŸ˜ƒ  ðŸ˜ƒ  ðŸ˜³  ðŸ˜³ ðŸ˜ƒ ðŸ˜ƒ ðŸ˜³ Good Job  ! !  ðŸ˜³ ðŸ˜ƒ  Nice  ! ! ðŸ˜‰ ðŸ˜†  ðŸ˜³ ðŸ˜†  ðŸ˜ƒ   ðŸ˜‰ ðŸ˜†  ðŸ˜† ! ! ðŸ˜‰ ðŸ˜³  ðŸ˜³ ðŸ˜³  ðŸ˜³ ðŸ˜ƒ ðŸ˜ƒ  ðŸ˜ƒ ðŸ˜‰ ðŸ˜† ðŸ˜† ðŸ˜‰ ðŸ˜† ðŸ˜† ðŸ˜†

ðŸ˜ƒ ðŸ˜³   ðŸ˜ƒ  ðŸ˜ƒ ðŸ˜ƒ
mandy001 thumbnail
Will read it soon, but plz pm me when u ll post anything
RadhikaS0 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Abhay

Thanks for an informative and in-depth post on the Nandas. I am sure that most people who are interested in ancient history as well as those who are looking for more background info to the new show on Chandragupta Maurya on TV will find the article educative and relevant. Esp as it's difficult to come across a compilation of most of the known info about the Nandas at one place.

You started your post with the Dancing Girl of Mohenjodaro. I want to share something about her.

Though it can't be established with certainty that she was indeed freeze-framed in a dancing pose, there is an interesting story behind how she got the nomenclature of Dancing Girl. The politics surrounding the abolition of the Devadasi tradition in India of the 1920s had much to do with this. 

When this impudent young teen was discovered around the time, she got enmeshed in the Devadasi debate with classical dance revivalists citing her to claim that dance as a cultural tradition in India was 5,000 years old and should not be shunned as something dishonourable in a "decent" society. 

This entrancing story was revealed by H.D. Sankalia, one of the archaeologists associated with the excavation of Mohenjodaro.

This charming, very typically a modern, brash teen in her body language, is now at the limelight again as a Pakistani lawyer has demanded that she be returned "home" to the Lahore Museum. Remains to be seen if we lose the "face" of the Indus Valley civilization from our own National Museum.