TOI Interview of Karuna Pandey!!

vyoman thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 7 years ago

Karuna Pandey: Kusum Sundari's character is not just intriguing but also powerful

TNN | Oct 3, 2016, 01.00 AM IST
Karuna Pandey and Kashvi Kothari in 'Devanshi'Karuna Pandey and Kashvi Kothari in 'Devanshi'
All set to depict a powerful godwoman on television, Karuna Pandey is on cloud nine about her upcoming show, 'Devanshi', which will premiere tonight at 7 pm on Colors and will air every Monday to Friday. It is a classic good-versus-evil story weaved around a cunning godwoman and a seven-year-old child, Devanshi. We caught up with Karuna to know more about the concept...

What prompted you to take up Kusum Sundari's role?
The concept and the character are novel, something that has never been showcased on television so far. 'Devanshi' sheds light on the false faiths and beliefs surrounding godmen and godwomen in our country. Kusum Sundari's character is not only intriguing, but also very powerful with many layers. As an actor, I was looking forward to essaying an interesting and challenging role.

What kind of preparation went into this?
Since the show is based in Haryana, I took up a few diction classes for fluency in Haryanvi accent. I have even worked on my expressions, gestures and body language to give the character more authenticity. I read about the nitty-gritties and behaviour of godwomen extensively and used those inputs to further develop the character.

Your costume and look in the show are quite elaborate. Did you have any apprehensions?

Draping a red sari and bedecking oneself with gold ornaments and red sindoor is symbolic of power, wealth and sovereignty. Since Kusum Sundari's character is that of a godwoman, it was imperative for my look to incorporate all these elements.

Have you ever crossed paths with a godwoman? If yes, how was your experience?

Personally, I do not believe in the concept of godmen or godwomen. So, I have not had any interface with such personalities. However, during the course of my research, I heard and read a lot about them through different mediums.

What was your equation with the other actors on the show?

The title role of Devanshi is played by youngKashvi Kothari. She is an amazing performer with extraordinary energy and spirit. She enlivens Devanshi's character tremendously. Other pivotal characters include Aamir Dalvi as Mohan (Kusum Sundari's aide), Ankita Sharma as Sarla (Devanshi's stepmother) and Pankaj Bhatia as Omi (Devanshi's stepfather). All of them are extremely talented and it's been a pleasure working with them. Every character in the show brings an element of intrigue which adds to the storyline.