Views

Users

Frequent Posters

history_geek thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 7 years ago

Originally posted by: devkidmd

Got it, thanks!

I am just trying to read the one that is available on google books. Don't know if it is 1 or 4.😳

Did read about Porus and was surprised about that. I always thought Porus was a king of some small kingdom on the frontier.😕

I don't know about the Indika on google. Normally, before starting a section / or at the end of it, they make it clear that the upcoming segment is of which category. :D

Yes, Porus was a ruler of smaller kingdom in comparison to Chandragupta. But we do not know why Megasthenese called him "greater". There could be many reasons. Normally, the ruler with a larger area under his command need not be called greater. There could be other factors too. Who knows Megasthenese was impressed with the manner in which Porus gave a tough fight to Alexander ? :)

Shah67 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
The one I am trying to read online is called:
                                              ANCIENT INDIA
                                               as described by 
                                         Megasthenes and Arrian

being

A translation of the the fragments of Indika of Megasthenes 
                    collected by Dr Schwanbeck and the first part of Indika of Arrian 

By JW McCrindle, MA

It is on archive.org not Google books, like I mistakenly said in the previous post. Take a look if you get a chance.
history_geek thumbnail

Thanks Devki,

I checked it. I had read a different one. The book contents are more or less same. The only difference being it was edited by a professor from the University of Pennsylvania. There is a paper too ; published in the Journal of American Oriental Society. And those 4 categories were mentioned. Rest, no difference. :D

history_geek thumbnail

Since, we have started the discussion on Megasthenes are Porus etc ; it came to my mind that a brief description about the war with Alexander is given in the Indika too.

Chariots formed the most important part of the army of Porus. But that particular day chariots strength went against the Indian forces.

Here is a model of Chariot.
From the 3rd - 2nd century BCE.

Clicked at Allahabad.

The headless figure of the warrior in armor can be seen.
2 wheels are also intact.
The bottom part of armor resembles the wings of a bird.

history_geek thumbnail

More thoughts on war ethics in ancient India :

{
With respect to my comment here :
https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/138863800
}

Killing all the male members to attain victory in war is a modern construct, and was not a "rule". During some discussions here i have seen - our modern thought takes over the code prescribed for ancient warfare. This should not be done.

Our very own ruthless - Chanakya prefers reinstating the defeated king on the throne or in the case of death of king the relative of king should be reinstated on terms of subordinate alliance. This is the same thing which is prescribed by Manu, and the same which was practiced by the Gupta ruler Samudragupta -> defeat the kings, make them prisoners, then set them free, and make them the vassal.

Chanakya freed all the captive soldiers of the Nanda army, according to Mudra Rakshasha. Chanakya also adds that the victorious king should not interfere in the customs of the local people in the area of the defeated ruler, as that can lead to a mass revolt which can not be quelled easily. Similarly, we have example of Senguttuvan, given in Silappadikaram, who had set free the defeated rulers of the North. 

Kaana thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
It was a treat to read this. Thanks very much Abhay. 
I have quote a few querie's to the expert. Will keep posting them. 
Is the chakra (MauRyan seal) from the days of CGM? We hear it as Ashoka chakra, so wonder. 
Kaana thumbnail
I am yet to read it all. But I can't help asking this, which has been going on in my mind for sometime. 
I personally feel CGM is a greater glory of India - the true "the great" than Ashoka and Akbar.  Why were they called great - this needs to be understood first. Please throw some light here when you get time.
Kaana thumbnail
If my history knowledge is right no king has ruled from Kashmir to Kanyakumari. Even the greatest empires stopped mid way into South India. What was the reason? 
I understand the cholas were powerful. Was it because of this. But could it be a reason across all empires?  Also if I am right Pallavas won over Kalinga sometime. I do not remember the timelines.  Please bear with my gross ignorance here.
history_geek thumbnail

In addition to the update on page 7, about the clothing.
Here is another post about the kind of fabrics used in Mauryan era.

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4747538?pn=4

history_geek thumbnail

Originally posted by: Kaana

It was a treat to read this. Thanks very much Abhay. 

I have quote a few querie's to the expert. Will keep posting them. 
Is the chakra (MauRyan seal) from the days of CGM? We hear it as Ashoka chakra, so wonder. 

Kaana,
Its great to see you here. Long long time.

Just when i had made my mind to stop posting in CN Forum, you are here.

Are you talking of the Mauryan seal which i have posted in the blog post ? If yes, then that's dated to late 4th century BCE - and it corresponds to time of Chandragupta Maurya. That is present in the National Museum now.

You are right in comparing it with the Asoka Chakra because this seal matches with the Chakra of Asoka.