Never forget your roots

shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 7 years ago
Guys this is not directly connected with SKR, but Ramayan is a book that is very much connected to India's culture, India's roots, I thought of sharing this experience in this forum

Couple of days I was fortunate enough to meet Her Highness Aswathi Thirunal Gowri Lakshmi Bai of Travancore Royal Family. She had come to inaugurate the CSR programme of my organization which was anchored by me.
The speech she gave to the students in the school was so touching. And at each pause I could see the students were clapping collectively. Reason she addressed them. She addressed their issues. The fact that why a student has to learn about Tamilnadu even before understanding Kerala. Why a student should know China and US even before understanding India. Without understanding their birth place, the culture of their birth place kids are growing up. And getting a Green Card becomes their biggest ambition. Being a US citizen gives them a credibility which being an Indian citizen they does not get.

I was touched and it started a thought process in me too. Without respecting yourself can you respect someone. Without respecting your culture can you respect some other culture. If you see yourself, your culture inferior will others respect your culture.

Why US is on top. Because most of the citizens there respect their culture. Good or bad. They respect. When will we start respecting our culture, our roots. Yes I write in English. I respect the global language and the opportunities it has given me. But my mother tongue is Konkani I do not have any qualms talking it in any public place even if people say what are you talking, we don't understand. I say it is a language and it is my mother tongue.
To a friend I feel the most comfortable talking in Malayalam. I love Malayalam poetries. It has a beauty associated with it.

I love to wear jeans and top. I love to wear salwars. But for me nothing looks more beautiful on a Kerala Bride than the traditional off white set saree. I wear sarees for all traditional functions. Because saree is part of my culture and other cultures have to understand it is the part of my culture.
If we understand our roots, stand up for it, the world will respect us more. Before understanding the  world, understand yourself, your family, your culture, your place.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

deejagi thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Shruthi,a thought provoking post. I completely agree with you in this front. And that is one reason I have no qualms to follow the dress code certain temple imposes on the devotees. Yes it is bit uncomfortable to wear saree and wait in queue for some hours or sit for pooja for long hours like 4 - 5 hours because we are used to wearing comfortable salwars. But in no reason I will feel comfortable to sit for a pooja (like Lakshmi pooja or Kalyanothsav in my slwar suite but prefer to be in saree (either Mysore silk or Kanjeevaram) and for regular temple visits, I am in cotton sarees. yes I do visit temples in salwars but that is only during trips where I will not be able to change from saree to salwar and salwar to saree.

And also we have a common understanding that at home we speak Kannada which is our mother tongue and we do watch Kannada shows and news and I love to read novels in Kannada as it bonds well with out psyche (mother tongue) than any other adopted language. Shruthi I had been Padmanabha temple in Trivendrum last month and I loved the fact there is dress code for both men and women. So normally before visiting temples  (for the first time or may be after a long time, like few years) I make it a point to check on net about the dress code so that I am prepared for the eventuality. This was the first time I visited Trivendrum and I was too eager to visit the palace museum as I wanted to compare them with Mysore palace and derive the  similarities and differentiations. It was worth visit.
Mano.M thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
U mirrored my thoughts
It's so unfortunate to see Indians
Ignoring their language, imitating the west and not valuing their our culture
Just tell me how many kids at home address their Parents in their own language
It's "Mummy" Daddy" and I don't blame the kids for this but the parents
If we feed our children with a foreign language what would be the fruit of it
How many even name their children in their own language
Before just by name we could Identify the person is from which state 
U represent ur land, ur language, ur culture

Knowledge has no limits no boundaries
Learn Hindi,Learn English,learn whatever u want 
But learn ur mother tongue first 
Please don't say it proudly that "I can't read or write in my mother tongue"
It's a thing to be ashamed of
Celebrate our own festivals before Valentine's day,English new year etc etc
Be sure to know ur countries History at-least at a basic level 

By this in no way I mean that we should avoid other cultures
Good things can be adapted from anywhere
But hold on to ur roots
Many countries long for a deep history and culture
which fortunately India has in abundance
But we don't preserve our monuments,architecture,culture,languages

The thing that irks me is
People mostly adapt only the  outside glitter of the west
But not their good practices
if ur really want to adapt something
why don't u keep ur country clean like they do
In fact we Indians are known for cleanliness
People wake up early morning and clean their street and 
decorate it before they do anything else
But now it has become a mere formality
Edited by -Mano- - 7 years ago
shruthiravi thumbnail
@jaya nice to know you have visited Padmanabhaswamy temple. Being in TVM I rarely visit the temple. Reason is wearing saree. Yes you can put a dhoti over salwar and enter. But I dont like it. If I am going there I prefer to go in saree itself. So only when I have time I visit the temple. It is a beautiful temple. Mysore Palace and Padmanabhapuram are different. Padmanabhapuram Palace has Kerala style architecture of Naaluketu. I also like visiting places. I have come to Mysore, Bangalore and all in Karnataka. I love to enjoy local cuisine also. 
@Mano India has rich cultural heritage. And our cultural heritage is not even marketed properly. I am very happy actually I could meet many youngsters like you in SKR forum. Because somewhere the culture is there. We have survived this much because our ancestors tried a lot to preserve our culture. It is our responsibility as the present generation we do our bit to conserve it and promote it.
Mano.M thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
Shruti, each state of India has wonderful history and culture in itself
which many counties combined don't possess   
It's a shame, if we let it die
Root of our culture lies in our family structure 
If we let go of it
we let go of everything

Same here
So happy to have met all of you
Though I rarely take part in these discussions but I do follow all
Have learnt so much from this forum
Specially your post
Keep posting😛

Edited by -Mano- - 7 years ago
vipraja26 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Absolutely agree with each one of your views ! It is indeed a dire need of the day to instil the pride and respect for the culture and heritage of our country in the minds of each citizen .
Just as Shruti mentioned , it is also a great pleasure to know such values do exist in some of the younger generation of the day too ! 
This is some kind of a ray of hope which we hope can be taken forward to a larger percentage through such shows like SKR , MB , CMG and so on ..

shruthiravi thumbnail
@vipraja we need more good movies, more good shows based on our culture, our heritage to attract viewers and make youngsters connect with our culture.
If you look US all the major events in American or European history is made into movies.  We have not delved much into that realm. Only recently movies like Airlift which showed Air India's Kuwait Evacuation which is in Guniess book of World Records and Neerja about a PanAm air hostess. I am sure there are many such stories lying there to be discovered, to be bought in celluloid. 
vipraja26 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Sure Shruti  more movies of such kind will be great ! Just hope it is now time for these as some of the actors too seem to be doing their bit !hope and pray for the same. 
Wishing for a day soon when we will see the pride of our nation and culture in every citizen !

But  for this , the society has to have a collective mindset where more connectivity among people are formed , developed to improve  concern and care towards every other individual . These measures might bring down selfishness ,uncaring attitude towards neighbours  and so on . With these kind of interactions , the national pride can also be built on  . Maybe like minded people should try and start getting together to plan such activities at many levels in the society with a deliberate motive of building a better society  - conscious and concerned one rather than  selfish and self centred .
But happy that atleast such things are taking offshoot with many thinking on these terms .
Edited by vipraja26 - 7 years ago
Siya-Ram thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

The thing that irks me is
People mostly adapt only the  outside glitter of the west
But not their good practices
if ur really want to adapt something
why don't u keep ur country clean like they do
In fact we Indians are known for cleanliness
People wake up early morning and clean their street and 
decorate it before they do anything else
But now it has become a mere formality

This is the biggest fault Mano di it nice to Learn and adapt to change but the right things and people think it is gethu to be westernised but I don't know if that's what they really feel inside