For girls- Why crop tops r seen as vulgar wen saree is seen as decent?

OriginalJuhi_04 thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 7 years ago
Both d types of clothes show same or little more or little less amount of belly skin but saree is seen as decent just because its an Indian outfit while crop top is seen as vulgar for being a western outfit. Women wearing sarees will never be questioned but women wearing crop tops will be stared as if they are wearing a bikini. Wat u all think of dis? Edited by angel_juhi04 - 7 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Radhika13_ thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
I have myself experienced it in my school. For a cultural event we were not allowed to wear short tops..they were not even crop tops.. because it showed our waist a little bit during our dance movements and on the other hand the teacher made it a compulsion for us to either wear long tops which covered your back completely or just withdraw your names from the event.
This is just one event.. many people stop and stare when they see a girl wearing crop top and some aunties even talk behind our backs abt our family values and stuff.. that we were inappropriate clothes.

On the other hand these same aunties praise our looks when we wear sarees.
Lianaa thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 5
I too think so. I would never wear any sarees or cropped tops. Both are same to me.
maha2us thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
This is one point which comes to my mind.

In tribal societies, women move around with no covering of their boobs. No comments on them and no one sees that as vulgar. But in a college or in the office, certainly a woman wearing a crop top is noticed and she could even be warned. But a woman wearing a saree is not warned. Why could it be so? In tribal societies, everyone has the same dress. When no one covers up, everyone is the same. No one makes a conspicuous presence. And so no one is being commented. Saree also happens to be the traditional dress in India and men are used to seeing their own mother wearing saree. So women wearing saree are not commented. The crop top dress really makes a woman conspicuous as we have other suites which fully cover a woman and most women would come to office or college with fully covered suites which are more convenient also than the sarees. As the crop top is seen in a conspicuous way in the male dominated society, women are being commented when they wear this type of dress. We can't say what the society does isn't all perfect. Only those persons who follow God's laws can break the norms of the society as they give importance to God's purpose.
life_is_fun thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
U never know... ðŸ˜†

Some Girls are stared for wearing crop tops by the people who think its clothes that speak about the character of a woman ...

Some are bullied for wearing Salwar suits by so called modern people who think modernization comes only from clothes ..

Some are eve teased even though they are wearing a saree which is considered to be the most decent dress...

Friend, Its not about saree, jeans- top, mini skirts, crop tops or salwar suits... Its all in the mind of the people... ðŸ˜†
Edited by life_is_fun - 7 years ago
Badala thumbnail
It's just a norm for judgemental people and society. It has nothing to do with logic. A generation ago, salwars suits were considered indecent because that was different from the norm. There is nothing logical about the whole thing
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Sarees are way too conservative and cover most significant parts of the body. Crop tops are meant to show off the body.. So not sure where is the parallel. Sarrees looks decent. whereas crop tops dont look indecent.. they are meant to be what they are.. expose the mid-riff. and based on style either plunging neck lines.. or in general show off more skin!!.. and i am not calling them bad.. at all..its the comparison thats out of whack
OriginalJuhi_04 thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9
Most crop tops in India I mean 70-80 percent crop tops show only 1-2 inches of belly while sarees at least show 6-7 inches of belly but still crop tops r seen as vulgar. 
Sugar9.00 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: angel_juhi04

Most crop tops in India I mean 70-80 percent crop tops show only 1-2 inches of belly while sarees at least show 6-7 inches of belly but still crop tops r seen as vulgar. 

exactly.. nowadays saris are see-through and don't even have a proper blouse it's more like a bra only.. It does look good though 
still a sari looks more decent not vulgar somehow maybe it's designed that way.. the pallu on shoulder no matter how transparent it is does the trick maybe.. 
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
All in cultural perceptions.