Latest Rating Report: Colors ahead of all Pakistani channels.

Usman. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 7 years ago

Ratings report: Indian channel Colors beats Pakistani channels

If you thought the craze for Indian soaps died with 'Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu thi' then think again
Rozina Bhutto about 23 hours ago

Have you ever come across a village or a town during a hot summer afternoon, or even a cool wintery one for that matter? If not, then let us tell you what majority of the female population is up to during those hours. They're watching Indian soaps. And to give company to this loyal lot, we have our urban housewives, who get done with their everyday household chores by noon to start binge-watching an array of Indian drama serials on their television screens.

As a result, Indian channel, Colors, has left leading Pakistani channels far behind in terms of ratings and secures the top spot on the Top Entertainment Channels list'. Interestingly, none of Colors' shows have made it to the top programs list.

Next up on this list is Filmazia, which again airs Indian content most of the time. Filmazia's popularity can be credited to the Indian soap, Naagin, which is one of the most-watched shows in the country. The particular Indian soap also beat Mann Mayal - a highly popular show - from May 1 to May 16.

Third spot is captured by Hum TV which is known for its quality drama serials and popularity amongst the female population. The channel aired five of the 10 highly rated shows in the month of May which include Mann Mayal, Udaari, Aabro, Zara Yaad Kar, and Servis 4th Hum Awards. Moreover, Jago Pakistan Jago - HUM TV's morning show - remained the most watched morning show in May.

Fourth up is ARY Digital, and rightly so, as it has produced some highly popular drama serials in recent times such as Guzaarish and Dil Lagi - both of which are in the top 10 highly rated shows list.

In addition to their drama serials; ARY Digital's game show, Jeeto Pakistan, and sitcom Bulbulay have also carved a niche for themselves. The channel's morning show, Good Morning Pakistan, was the second most popular morning show after JPJ, hence, contributing to ARY Digital's high ratings.

Urdu1 since its launch has grown leaps and bounds to grab the fifth spot in the top entertainment channels list. Although drama serials such as Tum Kon Piya, Indian soaps like Ye Hai Mohabbatein and Turkish soaps such as, Kala Paisa Pyaar and Aashiana Meri Mohabbat Ka didn't make it to the top ten most watched shows; they do contribute to the hybrid channel's popularity.

While Geo was the most watched channel in Pakistan once upon a time, the channel falls back on the sixth spot when it comes to entertainment channel. Geo Entertainment revamped itself after the ban with structural changes, but it still hasn't managed to enter the top five. The channel has produced some popular drama serials like Ishqa Way and game shows such as Inaam Ghar, but its morning show and lack of meaty content in drama serials, probably lets the channel down.

APlus, ATV and Geo Kahani grab the eighth, ninth and tenth position respectively. While Geo Kahani had created a loyal audience when it was first launched with shows like Mera Sultan, Kumkum Bhagya (which reportedly beat the then popular drama serial Diyar-e-Dil), and Inteqaam, but the channel seems to have lost its loyal fan base after the ban.

Most Popular channel overall

We know where we stand in terms of most popular entertainment channels, but now let's discuss which channel do Pakistanis love overall. They love to watch PTV. Yes, the terrestrial channel won the race in terms of the most popular channel across Pakistan in all genres (news, entertainment, music, morning shows, and so on).

ATV, another terrestrial channel, was ranked second while Colors, Filmazia, and HUM TV grabbed the third, fourth, and fifth spot respectively. Although news channels enjoy more commercial airtime as compared to entertainment shows, and other genres; entertainment channels seem to have taken the cake in overall ratings.

The top five channels are all entertainment channels while the sixth rank goes to the children-centric Disney Channel.

The first news channel to appear on the list is Samaa and that too on tenth spot while Geo News and PTV News are down below. This goes on to make us wonder if audiences are finally looking to escape the depression which news channels tend to cause more often than not?

Who rules the metros?

We are probably turning out to be huge fans of Indian content as Colors is the most popular choice among the urban population of Pakistan. And here we were under the belief that Mannu and Sallu were ruling the hearts of urban dwellers. Next up is Filmazia and understandably so since it airs the most popular Indian soap, Naagin, in Pakistan.

Udaari, Mann Mayal, Zara Yaad Kar, and Aabro have enabled HUM TV to become the third most-watched channel. Disney, ARY Digital, Urdu 1 and PTV Home were close behind. It was surprising to see ARY Digital ranked fifth despite its game show, Jeeto Pakistan, and sitcom, Bulbulay, being two of the most watched shows on television.

And the winner in the suburban and rural areas is...

Not Colors, but Filmazia which is surprising because rural population is known to be a huge fan of Indian soaps which are found in abundance on former. Don't feel bad for Colors yet because the channel was close behind on second spot.

As expected, terrestrial channels, PTV and ATV, enter the mix in non metros along with another channel that is known for its children based programming: Disney channel. The terrestrial channel, PTV, was ahead of HUM TV and ARY Digital in rural areas.

Hello Karachi

Once again, Colors rules the charts, but good news is that it is closely followed by HUM TV - a channel which is known to produce quality drama serials. Although, the ratings are debatable; it is heartening to see channels - HUM TV, ARY Digital, and Geo Entertainment - which only air Pakistani content ranked second, third, and fourth respectively.

This doesn't mean that Karachi-ites don't have their dose of Naagin; they do, and that's why Filmazia is the fifth most watched channel in the metropolis.

Lahore is...unique

The city is obsessed with Disney Channel. Yes, that's the most popular channel in Lahore, or at least in the homes that have the peoples meter. They do watch their share of drama serials on Colors, ARY Digital, Filmazia, and HUM TV; but they don't forget to listen to their Bollywood beats. 8XM is the sixth most popular channel with the zinda dilane Lahore and guess what; Lahoris like to keep themselves updated unlike the Karachi-ites who don't watch news channels enough to bring them into the 'Top 7 Channels' list.

The Twin Cities' enjoy their Turkish and Indian soaps

You'd expect people living in the capital city to watch news all the time, but apparently they enjoy watching films and Indian soaps. Yes, the most popular channel in Rawalpindi and Islamabad is Filmazia. Urdu1 is ranked second. Okay, so they love their Turkish soaps too. Third up is Geo Kahani which again is known for its Turkish and Indian soaps.

Finally, on number four and five we have channels that show Pakistani content - PTV and ATV. They're the only cities that give importance to our good old terrestrial channels and don't pay much heed to the Mann Mayals and Udaris of the world.

Most of us tend to believe that the ratings obtained through peoples meter are not a true representation of the population. Some channels are accused of bribing households with meters while the audience and industry experts are forever in doubt of the sample population in which the meters are distributed. Despite our doubts, this is the only way to judge the popularity of a show, channel or genre in Pakistan.

http://www.hipinpakistan.com/news/1149942/ratings-report-indian-channel-colors-beats-pakistani-channels

Edited by Usman. - 7 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

khamosshhh thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Majority ppl take sadistic pleasure in moribund content and with soaps like Naagin and dramas like Mann Mayal being on top of charts, it's unlikely that the content will improve, but in fact will only get worse.
Really sad, coz after years I went back to TV watching with Zindagi channel airing Pak dramas, but unfortunately many of the recent and currently airing Pak dramas have been disappointing.🤢
-Izna- thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Wow m really sad reading this! Its not that all indian serials are bad and you shouldnt watch them at all NO .. but I can not believe whats on top Naagin for real I can not comprehend how that show is on top in Pak I cant even comprehend how its so popular in India but fine but in Pak aswell I'm quit shocked to find this out.. I myself havnt seen more than 5 mins and promos of that show while switching the channelsand those few mins were really cringeworthy. Not even my mom who usually watches all indian serials does watch Naagin. Cant believe a supernatural show about Naagins and Kachuas or whatever Rajat turns into is on top in a muslim country.
And even the 2 and 4 are depressing me MannMayal and Thapki for real I wont comment on Mann Mayal since you all very well know what a dissapintment that is but believe me my mama watches Thapki and I can assure y'all its equally bad if not worse. Its so regressive and pathetic I really cringe at every scene.

Edited by -Izna- - 7 years ago
MakhannMalaai thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Disney and aise saare channels ko TRP tumhare hi ghar se jaati hai.. Doraemon and Shizukaa.. Edited by -MakhanMalaai- - 7 years ago
Usman. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: -MakhanMalaai-

Disney and aise saare channels ko TRP tumhare hi ghar se jaati hai.. Doraemon and Shizukaa..

😆😆

and Colors/Filmazia ki TRP Mary k ghar se jaati hai.. Naagin effect😆😆

WabalMunni thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Zahid Ahmed

It might be a silly question but is online viewing included in TRP?
WabalMunni thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Zahid Ahmed

I think I have skimmed through the article but are these ratings according to the timeslot?
MakhannMalaai thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
No, online viewing is not a part of trps.. 
Usman.. Chor do Doraemon.. Apne walon ko trp do
canuck-umz thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Are they serious? Naagin of all shows? I would understand if it was a decent show like YHM or KRPKAB. I am surprised though that Pakistani dramas did not come out on top considering that (after a long time) there were a lot of good dramas on air on pretty much all channels during the quarter they looked at. 
WabalMunni thumbnail

Zahid Ahmed

Ok so in order to understand this phenomenon I did some digging and apparently Nagin airs at Saturday and Sunday at 9:10 PM.

https://www.facebook.com/Filmaziatv/photos/a.407925855905573.96259.172817982749696/1104353139596171/?type=3&theater

So the problem with this comparison is that you are not taking into account the time slot and cannibalism effect.

1. First none of the Pakistani channels air their main shows at this time slot.

2. Secondly the most rated show airs only once a week. 

Suppose on Monday Hum airs Manmayal and Ary airs MYMD at 8:00 PM. In simple numbers suppose 8  people watch Pakistani dramas but 5 watch ManMayal and 3 watch MYMD. Out of those 8,  6 people watch Nagin at 9:10 pm on Saturday and Sunday. So even though total viewership was less but it was still more than Manmayal. What do Pakistani channels air at 9:10 pm on Saturday, Sunday? I have no idea. It might be possible that there is no competition or terrible competition. On Saturday  and Sunday people usually have time, they like to watch TV and they might consider only worth watching thing on TV at that time to be Naagin, so all the viewership that was divided at 8:00 PM slot was focused on one channel in 9:10 PM slot.

Now take point 2. Suppose a channel airs a hit drama everyday and a channel airs their hit dramas 2 days (Let's take for example Hum - Manmayal and Udaari). So everyday a channel would be getting viewership (Example Filmazia - Naagin Sat-Sun and Thapki Pyar ki Mon-Sun means every day) so there is a high possibility that average of every day would be greater than average of 2 days and this may the reason for overall channel rating.

https://www.facebook.com/Filmaziatv/photos/a.407925855905573.96259.172817982749696/1104352772929541/?type=3&theater

But having said all this I do agree that Pakistani content needs to improve but when I see people viewing Naagin should I say the quality of Pakistani content should deteriorate?

Edit: I also think Pakistani channels need to change their strategy.
Edited by Jaan-Jee - 7 years ago