We need to come out of star kids culture: Kay Kay Menon

S_H_Y thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 7 years ago

By: PTI | Mumbai | Published:June 19, 2016 7:08 pm
 Kay Kay Menon, Hindi film industry, Bollywood news, culture, entertainment news, latest news, India news, news, Haider, Shahid, Black Friday, Sarkar, Naseeruddin Shah, San Pachhatar 75 Kay Kay Menon thinks the Hindi film industry can do better and needs to stop giving preference to star kids.
Actor Kay Kay Menon believes the Hindi film industry can produce better cinema only when it grows out of the culture of preferring star kids over outsiders.
Time and again, many actors and directors from non-film background have spoken about Bollywood's bias towards artists belonging to stars' families and Kay Kay says this dynasty system needs to be uprooted from the industry.
"We have dynasty as a part of our culture. From politics to cinema, there is a dynasty culture, unlike sports, which has a perfect yardstick. Nobody's son can become a star unless and until you perform in the field.
"In cinema, everybody's sons, daughters, nephews, nieces have the first right on films. That's a part of our culture. We are yet to come out of this culture. The moment we do, we will have better cinema," Menon told PTI in an interview.

The actor, known for his powerpacked performances in films like "Haider", "Shahid", "Black Friday" and "Sarkar", is also of the view that the Rs 100 crore club, sought after by every producer, is just a facade and nowhere a testament to quality cinema.
"It's a marketing gimmick. It has been inculcated in the audience's mind that 100 crore' means something. It just means money and nothing else, it doesn't mean good cinema. It doesn't make any sense. I always say that if I find a 100 crore club, I'll go and play tennis there."
Menon thinks real success of a film lies in its recall value and referring to his own filmography, the 49-year-old actor said he is happy that he has given at least 10 memorable movies in his career so far.
"Among my 80-odd films, there are 13-14 (films) which are memorable. I think the percentage (of my good films) is 10, which is not bad," he said.
"I know these films can be on the shelf even after I die, they have hot posterity. I have always believed films should be beyond the weekend. You can't make cinema that way and if you are making, it is not cinema, it is some packaging."
Bollywood may have been backing story-oriented films lately, but Menon says there is still a long way to go before lines between commercial and realistic cinema get blurred.
"The industry always threatens to do this but it never happens. I am quite sceptic in that sense. Even during the Naseeruddin Shah era we had the parallel cinema which we thought will take over. Nothing happened. It's a good feeling of hope," he said.
The actor will be next seen in period thriller film "San Pachhatar 75". The Navneet Behal-directed film revolves around a deal of the first mobile phone (prototype) being brought in India with (imposition of) Emergency in the background.
Edited by Shy_ - 7 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

UglyDuckling. thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
That is never happening unfortunately.
Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
More than 3 millennium and we could not wipe out caste system, BW toh sirf 100 saal ki hain.Edited by Love_Katty_24-7 - 7 years ago
BanBB thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Expressionist (October 2021) 1 Thumbnail + 8
this is never happening
Thanks to tv world that outsiders are able to get opportunity to showcase their talent
ibnbattuta thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Love Kay Kay Menon. Unfortunately the star kids seem to be consolidating their position with many supporters here too. As standards keep falling, beggars will dress up as kings.
Atomicbomb thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
If a star kid is talented that is fine.
The problem is these production houses spend quite a lot promoting these star kids. When an outsider enters they don't seem to get much exposure in the media. They mostly depute with smaller films which don't get much exposure.  

Take Sooraj Pancholi. He had a lot of promotion, Salman helped promote his movie. Even though he has no films now he is put in magazines. 

For what exactly. Can he act. I have not seen his film but heard he can not.

If an outsider got that much hype and he could actually act wouldn't that have been better and the film would not have flopped. 
pallavi25 thumbnail
BW will never come out of this, in fact its getting worse with time! 
Nepotism is so firmly entrenched in Indian culture that they dont even think its wrong to unfairly promote a relative or a friend's son/daughter when there are more deserving candidates, whether its for a film role in BW or a job in corporate world. Thats the mentality of all people! 

Its really horrible to see some untalented star kids/ actor kids being promoted and launched with great fanfare and expense and when they fall flat on their faces, still they get roles again. But outsiders struggle for every role, no matter how well they have done in their earlier films.