Nagesh Kukunoor's Dhanak movie reviews/discussion

ZestyZeniaZetas thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago

Dhanak movie review: Nagesh Kukunoor's heart warming film is a must watch for everyone, including Salman and Shah Rukh Khan!

Dhanak is one film which is recommended not just for you but for Salman and Shah Rukh as well.

Wed, June 15, 2016 7:09pm IST by moumita bhattacharje

Dhanak movie review: Nagesh Kukunoor's heart warming film is a must watch for everyone, including Salman and Shah Rukh Khan!

A smile will be pasted on your face throughout the runtime of the film, I bet!

It's not easy to love one actor between Salman Khan and Shah Rukh Khan. If you are a Bhai admirer, SRK aficionados will look at you begrudgingly and vice versa. They hardly care but there is a distinct rivalry between the fans of these two Khans and at times, they cry foul as well. But what if you don't have to pull down one for the other? Nagesh Kukunoor's Dhanak weaves the most heart warming story around the rivalry between the fans of these two Khans who happen to be siblings. This is one film which is recommended not just for you but for Salman and Shah Rukh as well.

What's it about: 

Pari (Hetal Gada) and her blind brother Chotu (Krrish Chabbria) are happy kids despite life's hardships. She is his best companion; someone who understands him very well. Chotu despite losing his eyesight, hasn't lost the zest for life. He loves Salman while Pari is a SRK fan. He is witty, gets into brawls, is brave and doesn't feel the need to be dishonest. While Pari loves and protects her brother, she also wants Chotu to get his eyesight back so that he can see rainbow (Dhanak) with her. She is so convinced he will be able to see again that she refuses to let him learn braille in school. But how? That's when she chances upon an advert which has Shah Rukh Khan requesting people to donate their eyes. Her hope gets fuelled further and she starts writing him a letter everyday seeking his help for Chotu's treatment. She receives no answer and then suddenly she finds out Shah Rukh is shooting in Jaisalmer for his film. But when nobody agrees to take her there, she decides to take matter into her hands. Whether she manages to help her brother or not forms the rest of the plo
Recommendations

What's hot! 

Everything about this film is touching. The narrative has been so beautifully pieced together that Nagesh Kukunoor doesn't take much time to get to the point. No attempts have been made to show one star better than the other and it is so refreshing. Pari and Chotu's love for their screen idols have been showed with so much sincerity that every fan will relate to them. Even if you aren't a fan of any, you might become one. Nothing in the film is exaggerated. Many would say it's too convenient... life isn't so easy. But what if it is? What if innocence still gets a chance to win over everyone? There are moments in the film which will even make SRK and Salman proud of themselves. For instance, a coin toss decides who's story the two siblings will narrate during their walk to school. And every bit of those emotion will reach you. Or the time when incessant SRK praise makes Chotu scream for Salman bhai'.

No drama or melodrama has been ingested in the film for effect given the fact that Chotu has a disability. In fact, he is the lifeline of the film. Without him, Dhanak would have fallen flat. Krrish Chabbria is the best child actor you have seen in recent times. The mischief in his eyes and innocence of his dialogue delivery will make you applaud for him. Hetal Gada is brilliant as Pari whose only aim is to see her brother happy.

Kukunoor's storytelling ways have always made us rejoice be it Iqbal or Dor. Dhanak is on the same lines which is based only on human emotions and no gimmicks. I am ready to bet a smile will be pasted on your face throughout the runtime of the film!

What's not 

There is hardly anything wrong with the film except perhaps for the second half which drags a bit. The psychic bit might come across as far-fetched too but that doesn't dilute the fun. Again, there will be some who would call it a convenient turn of events but then life is not always cruel. At times, it surprises too. But in a bit to keep it as real as possible, the filmmaker has incorporated a few human vices in it which threaten to derail the proceedings. Thankfully, it doesn't.

What to do

Doesn't matter if you aren't free this weekend, you have to watch this film or you will miss one of the best movies of this year! Confirm your date with Dhanak NOW!

@angrybread you were asking why the kid is wearing similar bracelet to salman.hope you get the answer.kid happens to be a salman fan😉his sister is srk fan..

Edited by MiniRulz - 7 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BIackSwan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
The little boy is so cute in the trailer. I wanna watch this one

Originally posted by: Curlylocks

The little boy is so cute in the trailer. I wanna watch this one

me too.I think this movie will be great⭐️
BIackSwan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
^ Hey Mini! I have to wait till it's available on Torrents cuz I doubt it'll be released in my country
Pirated_Fun thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
The trailer looked amazing 
rimi2983 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I want to watch it but it's not releasing here !!

Honestly, SRK-Salman fan rivalry has been there for ages. Me and my sister have been Salman-SRK rivals and our entire cousins gang is divided in these two groups . Occasional boring cousins are Aamir or HR fans, but clear fan group is Salman- SRK 😆
BullsEye777 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
This sounds really good. Nagesh has the ability to touch those real aspects in everyday life and though he meanders a bit, overall his products are good
raj80 thumbnail
liked the trailer of this movie...
Filmfare review

Director: Nagesh Kukunoor

Cast: 
Hetal Gadda, Krrish Chhabria, Vipin Sharma, Gulfam Khan, Vibha Chibber, Vijay Maurya

There's something irresistible about a road movie with small children. Ask fans of Majid Majidi. Nagesh Kukunoor's Dhanak is nearly the same genre as a Majidi movie and best of all, it even has the same kind of magic. It's a movie with a large golden heart. Its intentions are pitch perfect. The writing could've been a lot better. But end of the day, this movie has enough goodness and sweetness to warm the cockles of your heart. It leaves you feeling like sunshine on a summer day in Switzerland. Warm and happy.

The story deals with a brother and sister duo in a remote village in Rajasthan. The boy is called Chhotu and he's blind. The girl called Pari is the elder sibling and she's the mother figure to Chhotu. Pari is a sworn fan of Shah Rukh Khan and Chhotu is a worshipper of Salman Khan. They have a cute superstar fan rivalry too. She's the one who holds his hand and makes him feel secure. They're orphans but live with their uncle and aunt. As cliches go, the aunt is the veritable avatar of a cruel stepmother, who doesn't even feed the children, even when there's enough dry rotis to go around. All that Pari wants is to have Chhotu get his eyesight back. So when she sees SRK's 'donate your eyes' poster she decides to write him letters so SRK can help Chhotu get his surgery. When the adults refuse to send out her letters and when the cruel aunt's diktats get too tough, Pari and Chhotu decide to runaway from home. They make a beeline for Jaisalmer, 300-odd kilometers away, because that's where SRK is shooting for his new film.

While there's nothing new on offer in terms of story or characterisation, even the whole Rajasthan set-up gets a little too obvious with countless poverty, desert, ghevar and folk song references, the movie manages to keep your faith alive because of its earnestness. That comes from the two child actors - Hetal Gadda playing Pari and Krrish Chhabria portraying Chhotu. They're irresistibly adorable and their genuine smiles can make you feel fuzzy. So with these two kids fending for themselves out in the big bad world, you're emotions are instantly invested in their adventure. Their journey though predictable, is still invigorating because you want them to succeed. It helps that the kids have self-critical dialogues where they're constantly embarassed by the ludicrous nature of their quest. They're looking for SRK in a desert after all. So when adults enquire about their motives the kids spell out the outlandish but honest nature of their task. And surprisingly, almost everyone they meet lend out a helping hand. Is the world full of eagerly helpful people as shown in Dhanak? No, but going with the positive theme of this movie, you want the children to succeed and you want them to steer clear of an Anurag Kashyap sense of stark reality, so that's exactly what Kukunoor and his team serve up. The way things keep falling into place is almost too convenient. But that's what drives the goodness of this adventure.

This is definitely not Kukunoor's best film. Movies like Iqbal, Dor and Hyderabad Blues were leagues ahead in their scope for storytelling. But Dhanak does make good on the premise of being an honest children's adventure. At one point, you do feel like you're watching an Indian culture catalog for the Americans, they even throw in a Hippie from California walking the Earth for love and peace. But the movie never gets over-the-top or annoying. It let's the children take center stage throughout and their honest banter always keeps your mood upbeat. There are plenty of sweet performances by adult actors like Vipin Sharma, Bharati Achrekar, Ninad Kamat and Raghu Ram (MTV Roadies fame) to get the story to chug along as well.

If you believe in inspirational Instagram posts and the power of positivity, Dhanak is the film for you. The cynics might find the lack of gritty realism a bit too much, but even the most hardcore realists will agree that this little road movie ticks all the boxes when it comes to ending on a happy note. This is no award winning material, but it is well worth a watch. It proves that the happily ever after notion may be overused and old, but it still gets the job done.

angrybread thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
I really loved the trailer and definitely watching it as and when its available to watch via any medium .
Thanks Mini for reminding about this movie and answering my query 😳 Atleast someone made a movie keeping in mind SRK and Salman fandom 😉😆