Antara123 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 7 years ago

The Hint from OS: "Waiting" was - 

"By the way, Mr. Dixit, you don't really have a good choice in clothes."

"Where did that come from?" Dev wondered.

Credits to kennashreign, JyotiBThakur, Zaya.hp, Asma-, FanOfCreativity, ishra368, priyanvs, cutie15, .FlyingClouds., fionadsouza, MeDhellsAngel, EJF_Fan, asifiqbalsh for guessing it right. I considered clothes, colour choices and shopping. I guess it was pretty easy and obvious. 👏

OS - The Shopping Date

"Ms. Bose?" Dev called out.

"Yes, Mr. Dixit?" Sonakshi turned, as she was just leaving for home, after completing the day's work.

"I need to do some shopping, and I thought, for once, I should probably, personally go my clothes."

"That's amazing!" Sonakshi, said sarcastically.

Dev ignored the jibe, and continued, "Would you mind accompanying me?"

"When?"

"Tomorrow?" 

"Tomorrow is a week day; I need to be here." Sonakshi said.

"You can bunk." Dev, said with a half smile.

"Mr. Perfect Dixit asking me to do something like that?" Sonakshi's eyes were wide open, in mockery.

"Well, what I meant is, you can take an off. According to your contract, you are allowed, Casual Leave of 12 days in these three months." Dev, said, quite decisively.

"I think I get to decide when I want to take my leave." Sonakshi, said responding as cockily.

"Okay, calm down. Please, would you go with me? Honestly, I don't even know where to shop. I have always chosen the brands, and Teena used to get them from wherever she deemed fit." Dev, said solemnly.

Sonakshi agreed; courtesy gets to people.

The Next Day Afternoon

"Okay, you told me the brands, and quite frankly, I suck at shopping too. I don't buy such expensive stuff, so I have no idea. But, I guess, we can work it out." Sonakshi announced, as they neared a shopping mall.

"It's a good thing, we took the bus, we probably couldn't have found parking here." Dev said, looking at the crowded parking lot. "Isn't everyone at work? How can so many people come out at this time?"

Dev looked at his watch, it read 11.30 am.

"Firstly, its summer. So, people have vacations. Secondly, not everyone is like Mr. Aubhodro Workaholic." Sonakshi said, counting them on her fingers.

"Ms. Bose..." Dev, sighed, rhetorically.

"Its Dr. Bose for you." Sonakshi, said, almost reflexively. Dev just shook his head.

"Honestly, I don't understand why you are just refusing to address me, by my designation." Sonakshi said, as they walked into the shopping mall. "I mean; I did study to get my degree right? It is almost as if you don't even acknowledge all the effort I put in for 5 years. The only recognition we doctors, get, is the respect associated with the term Dr. By living in denial, like you are, we get more insulted. Moreover, doctors are also considered as money minded and cheats, and what not. To top it all, people like..."

"Dr. Bose!" Dev called out a little loudly, with a lot of emphasis on the address, resulting in a few heads turning towards them, in the mall. Sonakshi gave him a look, and he lowered his voice to a few decibels down, "Dr. Bose is just more formal. Earlier, it was just easier to call you Ms. Bose, and now it seems very official to address you as that." Dev said clarifying.

"Your excuses seem, very lame." Sonakshi finished with a flourish, glaring at Dev.

"By the way, continuing from our previous discussion, travelling by bus is easier.." Sonakshi started Dev interrupted her, "Because it reduces pollution. One car less on the road. Less petrol consumed, less carbon dioxide, and we breathe in a little less polluted air. Neel's influence." Dev finished knowingly.

Sonakshi gave him another look, an exasperated one at his knowing stare.

"Honestly, I never imagined, there could be someone who could influence and change your thinking." Dev said.

"Well, you for starters. Come on, my perspective about you, has changed too. A couple of months ago, I wouldn't have imagined, we'd come out shopping for your clothes." Sonakshi said, defending herself.

"True. Very true. But, not being single anymore has definitely helped you." Dev said laughing.

"Let's check out that store there. It's a Raymond store."  Sonakshi pointed out.

Dev and Sonakshi were greeted by the security, and a salesman soon, came to help them.

"What are you looking for, Sir, Ma'am?" He asked politely.

"We are looking for shirts, for him." Sonakshi said.

"Formal or informal?"

Dev and Sonakshi looked at each other, and Dev said, "I guess, informal, but, full sleeves."

"Haan, haan. Janab Antarctica mein rehte hain, summer mein full sleeves." Sonakshi looked down, and murmured, loudly enough for Dev to hear.

Dev just gave her a defeated look.

"Please, come this side.."  The salesman guided them.

"Thank you, we'll look around ourselves. You can carry on. We'll call you if we need anything." Dev told the enthusiastic salesman.

He greeted them again and left.

"Use bhaga diya, so, he doesn't see how poor you are in choosing clothes." Sonakshi taunted, laughing.

"Do you necessarily have to find fault with everything I do?" Dev asked, tired.

"Mr. Dixit, look at this one?" Sonakshi diverted the heavy topic of discussion, to clothes.

She took out, a plain violet shirt, holding it against his torso. "See? It's such a different colour? It will suit you a lot. What's your size?" Sonakshi said, quite enthusiastic and excited. She usually, didn't shop for men's clothes. It was definitely an experience.

"And, I thought you don't shop much. Women and shopping." It was Dev's turn to murmur now. Sonakshi ignored it, and gestured at the shirt in her hand.

Dev took it in his hand, and said, "Isn't it a little too bright? And, when did you start liking purple? I thought you liked orange." Dev was indeed confused.

"Well, I like orange, and it does happen to be my favourite colour. But, iska yeh matlab nahi, ki mein hamesha, santra banke ghumungi." Sonakshi replied.

"I told you, I'll look funny in orange. Did you listen?" Dev said, accusingly.

"I didn't force you to wear it, Mr. Dixit!" Sonakshi clarified, referring to the double date.

"Aap meri dost hain." Dev shrugged, and took the purple shirt, and went towards the trial room.

Sonakshi looked at his retreating figure, with a smile on her face, at his words.

She continued perusing through the collections when she heard Dev's voice, "Dr. Bose?"

Sonakshi turned to find Dev wearing the same plain, violet shirt, but looking ten times more dashing than usual, and, he upped the glamour quotient a little more, by giving a masculine pose, "How bad do I look?"

"Are you kidding me or just fishing for compliments?" Sonakshi asked, surprised and amused.

Dev waited.

"I think you should pick this one." Sonakshi said.

"Okay, Dr. Bose. That's it." Dev said, finally tired.

"What?" Sonakshi asked. "So fast? We didn't even finish, Mr. Dixit!"

"Of course, we finished! I wanted three shirts, and I have bought seven of them, and two pairs of trousers. All thanks to you, and your never dying hunger for shopping. Poor Neel." Dev exaggerated.

"But, Mr.Dixit."

"No ifs and buts please, I am hungry. Let's go for lunch."

Sonakshi made a face, but agreed. "Mexican. Look, Taco Bell!" She said.

"Really? It's so unhealthy. How will you manage?" Dev asked.

"Ek din ke liye chalega, Mr. Dixit. Come on."

"Did I say no?"

In between a sumptuous meal, of Tacos, Chalupa, and Burrito, Sonakshi said, "I don't like the rice Burrito. This bean one, is so much better." She relished each bite of it, while Dev just smiled at her antics and agreed as he chewed on the taco he had bought.

"So you finally, revised your decision of remaining single?" Dev began.
"Who said, I am marrying Neel?" Sonakshi said, focusing on tearing open the sauce sachet.

"You aren't?"

"I told Neel, I am not interested in marriage."

"What do you have against the institution of marriage?" Dev, asked curious.

"Well, what do you have against doctors, engineers, teachers and designers?" Sonakshi asked.

"Nothing, nothing at all. If I had a grudge against doctors, would I be sitting with one?" Dev replied implacably, sitting back on his chair, his hands folded against his chest.

Their meal was nearly over. The shopping bags lay on the empty chair at the table.

"Okay. I pretend to be flattered at that one. But, seriously." Sonakshi continued.

"No, nothing. Topic change mat kijiye, Dr. Bose." Dev warned.
"No, I am not changing the topic. If you don't have anything against them, then why didn't you become an engineer or a doctor or an artist or a teacher or anything else?"

"Well, it is simple. I wanted to do this. I wanted to own my own business. I liked it, and I love my work." Dev, said, not knowing where this was going.

"Exactly. You like this. Similarly, I became a nutritionist. You chose your field. It doesn't mean, you have anything against them, it is just that, you liked being an entrepreneur more than being a doctor or something else."

Dev nodded, urging her to continue.
"In a similar manner, I choose to be single, and don't want to marry."

Dev didn't want to leave the discussion there, and asked, "Okay, let us do this another way. What do you like about bachelorhood that you want to hold onto it?"

"That's a nice question. What isn't not likeable about it? For starters, I don't have to cook and clean for a guy. I don't have to take care of in laws and their extended families and treat them like my own, when they aren't! I can stay with my family or leave them as I please. I don't have to go through nine months of annoying pregnancy, only to take care of babies and change their diapers. I don't have to worry about school and college admissions when they are older."

Dev didn't allow her to continue, but burst into gales of laughter, and said, "Admissions, seriously? You have thought it out, too far, Dr. Bose."

"No seriously. Aren't you reading the papers? The cut off percentages in colleges is touching 94, 96, 99 in some places! Like seriously, what crap? Someone gets a 90% and doesn't manage to get admission in a decent college, the idea itself sounds preposterous. Imagine the disappointment, tension, worry, that their parents go through!"

"I don't want to complicate my life, so much, Mr. Dixit. I don't want to be responsible for anyone. People may find happiness when their kid is born, and it looks like them, when the kids call them, Mom or Dad for the first time, etc etc. But, frankly, all of this is not going to give me any happiness. And, before you say anything, just because I don't want any children, it is unfair to ask another person to remain childless. So. Ya."

Dev seemed, impressed, and he told her, "Your ideas seem, ... bohemian, but make a lot of sense. But, what if your husband doesn't want children too?"

"Well, I told you earlier, I believe if a woman is expected to leave her family, a man should also leave his. It's unfair that a woman, has to accept some strangers as her family. And, rarely is any guy interested in doing that. Will you leave your family for your wife?" Sonakshi asked.

Dev shook his head in denial. "They need me."

"My family needs me too. Being a girl does not mean, she can be given away. In fact, I don't even like Kanya Daan. How can you donate your daughter? According to Shakespeare, you donate only what you don't want."

"Gosh, Dr. Bose. Shakespeare? You are right. But, this is where we stand, where our society is, currently. You don't have to adhere to it, you can do as you please. If you aren't happy with your husband, then, this same society wouldn't come for your help." Dev agreed, amazed with Sonakshi's thought process.

"You seem, impressed." Sonakshi said.

"Who is fishing for compliments?" Dev asked, as they got up to leave.

"No one." Sonakshi replied promptly.

"But, I must admit, you have many hidden shades."

"Well, I have loads of skills and talents that you don't know about still." Sonakshi said, giving Dev a cheeky grin.

"And what are they?"

"That would be telling." Sonakshi replied.

"Singing, dancing toh nahi hai. Definitely not cooking. Ladai mein toh PhD ki hai aapne, but apart from that, I don't think you have any." Dev joked, while Sonakshi playfully hit his arm.

The End

Note - THERE IS A HINT AS USUAL. GUESS IT. I couldn't but help leaving a hint, but, I cannot promise about writing it. I am exceedingly busy, and I, unfortunately have to stop writing for a while. I'll try my best for this one.😕

In the previous one, I mentioned Dev dating Natasha, in this one, to compensate, Sonakshi is dating Neel. I respect the institution of marriage, but everyone is entitled to an independent opinion, and these are Sonakshi's views. 😳

And, I am not in an excellent disposition right now, so, if the OS isn't up to the mark, blame it on that.😆🥱

More of DevAkshi - DevAkshi Index - Flowing Thoughts - My Fiction Index
Edited by najma123 - 7 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

dishadishki thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Nice OS! Your stories have always been amazing :)
aaliyaoberoi thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Beautiful os najma !! Very well written.

Next os will be something on singing or dancing may be.
serendipity. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
reserved
aaj hi edit karungi iA! 😛
ash_devnarshi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Great OS :-)
Nxt one myt b abt dev finding more skills of sonakshi
kennashreign thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Super fun read! Very enjoyable. I am not sure but  It'll be a story where Dev wears the purple shirt. 😕 I am very sure that my guess is incorrect. But I'll wait for the next os, cheers!
asifiqbalsh thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Nice OS dear
Loved it
Thanks for pm
I think so next hint was different shades of Sonakshi personality.
priyanvs thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
nice os dear 
loved it 
BunnyObodhro368 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Loved the OS
I think the hint is abt Dev discovering sonakshi's other talents
Vaddy thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Next up: Something on shades/colour schemes? *res* re-reading the OS.
Damn that was good. Like I said, been stalking the forum for weeks now! Sometimes I feel like I should detach myself from watching the show and stalking the forum and then binge watch/stalk so that I feel satisfied and uncurious.
Purple, Shakespeare and marriage :') Santra ban ke tho nahi ghumungi xD Loved this one too <3

I wish your busy schedule wears off quickly so that you can write more often :3