If a student's ability cant be understood it is a teacher's failure

shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 8 years ago
What a beautiful line from Hanuman today. Yes parents put the burdens of their dream on their child. But what about teachers. What stops them from understanding their students. A good teacher is able to gauge not only his best student, but every student.
When my 10th result came everyone except my Malayalam teacher had asked me you are taking 1st group, why not second group with maths. You can write both medical and engineering entrance. You have such good marks.
All my teachers only looked at the total marks in front of them, but it was only my Malayalam teacher who noticed I was not among the first 15 ranks at the state level only because of 2 subjects biology and geography if my English paper was valued properly. Even my English teacher was not surprised seeing my marks for English 2nd paper, but my Malayalam teacher was surprised.

She knew biology was not my cup of tea so me taking second group was out of question. The only question she asked me was are you sure for taking B-Tech, you don't want to go for law. I said yes I have decided B-Tech. I always remember her. She was such a nice teacher.

Then there was my mom's colleague's husband who was a professor who didn't know me as a person but when he knew I was crying because I didn't get the expected marks for English he only told me one thing. Writing is in your blood. This mark cannot measure your talent and is not even the reflection of what you are. You can improve writing any time you want. Forget this mark. Once you get admission to pre-degree it holds no water and your total marks will give you what you want.

Another instance. My fifth sem lab. Seeing the question I didn't know what to do. I went to my internal examiner and told I am leaving, I don't know, I will write supply. She told me assertively. You are not going anywhere. Stand there and think. I know you. You can do it. And yes I did it. Though not full, but atleast most of it. I will never forget the trust that teacher kept on me that day. Maybe that trust made me do it.

Teachers they can make or break a student. Parents can have ambitions. But if a teacher can direct the student right way, convince the parents with the proof of the child's talent many children life can be changed.

I have loved the movie " Taare Zammen Par" exactly for that reason. Aamir's character who finds out the problem and talent of the child and make him confident. Another movie in the same league is " Manikkyakallu" in Malayalam. A nice beautiful story.

Teaching is transforming. It is a big duty. It is a service to the society at large. Unfortunately in rot studying we lose out on the talent of so many students as teachers also have no time as they just want to finish portions
Edited by shruthiravi - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

FAMS thumbnail
Shruthi agreed with you totally, teachers can make or break . . .
But with above 90 students in single class with only one teacher how much attention can a teacher give to each student (this is the case in most schools in Mumbai). . . 

shruthiravi thumbnail
I know Fouzia. I have reading lack of good teachers in schools. Actually my generation should take the blame for it. As most of us went to IT field and lucrative jobs abroad. Only people who didn't get any other jobs took up teaching as an option.
So teaching became a job than a passion. Today the limelight is back on this profession as people are understanding the value of this profession.
FAMS thumbnail
Yes Shruthi teaching as profession has taken a back seat due to materialistic world. . .
And lack of teachers is causing havoc in the life of kids. . . 
My nephew goes to school where each class has about 95 + students and one teacher, there the teacher doesn't know the name of students properly how is she going to guide them if she doesn't even know them. . . 
It is a big challenge of school now to maintain good teachers. . . 
deejagi thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Shruthi it is not just the lack of interest in teacher to analyze the students and mend their interest but also the pressure on them to teach the students to excel in getting good marks in their given subject. Neither the management not the parents will spare the teacher if he tries to divert the kids mind from the set goal of achieving marks. Now a days the kids who are in class 2 or 3 will say either they want to be an astronaut or an aerospace Engineer or a cardiologist or at the least a software engineer. All thanks to movies and video games.

When I opted for Electronics, people asked me why not commerce or medical? But when my daughter choose Electronics, people asked why she is opting for Electronics when her scores are so good (95.5% gross and 98% in PCM), she could have opted for Computers Science or Information science which will fetch high remuneration than Basic electronics. But yes, they were not wrong as well because when it comes to campus selection IT guys will fetch creamy jobs while the others who worked hard will get peanuts.

So some times I do suggest people study for career interest and keep your interested field as your hobby. No body stops you from reading books on history or archeology or Mythology but taking history as a main subject may not make you to meet the ends.

I love history and mythology and I read books on them from my childhood and I will not spare a paper cover also if it has something to deal with history. I have collections of books on Karnataka history (historical as well as fictional) but they are as a entertainer. When it comes to profession, I am an engineer who is now doing marketing for a PCB manufacturing company.
attubaby thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Great post Shruthi...
Sometimes parents are not able to find out what is the right subject for their children. The situatn gets worse if on top of that, they try to fulfill their dreams through their child while not understanding what the interest of child is. Here, teacher's role become vital. As a neutral person, he or she can advice not only the child but parents as well. Somehow I feel, children are not able to take the crucial decision of selecting a subject that is gonna shape their career just after 10th...dats hard for them to decide. if parents know the child well, they can definitely help in selecting the right stream for him/her. 

Teachers who know their students from some time like those who have taught them for many classes can give apt advice on career selection. 

The famous quote that i came across recently and is doing rounds on social media for some time "everybody is a genius. But ifyou judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid". 
Or may be who knows the same fish can even think of ending life too😲. The quote describes describes the entire jadmati/sumati track beautifully. 

shruthiravi thumbnail
@Jaya I know you have to make ends meet also. But there are cases where B-Tech is not possible for a child. See now many engineers going for government jobs, banks etc. Reason they got into B-Tech because now in South India if you sit for entrance you will get engineering seat. They are not equipped to handle the pressure of IT industry.

We could handle it, because we struggled to get a seat itself. We had to sweat it out, so sweating it out in the profession was not a big deal.
I have seen dreams breaking when people come to IT. It is complaint , complaint and more complaint. Because from outside they saw a rosy life. Inside they cant take the night outs, last minute changes, weekend working as per demand and well understanding that we have only salary and onsite as perks. Nothing else which government job has.
So even if IT pays you need to have aptitude it is like that for every job. My husband struggled 8 years to clear his CA. And his cousin's son has almost given up after 2nd attempt.
That's the difference I am highlighting. You will get marks if you like the subject, if you have an inclination towards it.
As Hanuman says to Gandharava king if you want you can make Sugreeva a warrior, but how will you teach ruma to love Jayanth.
If given support a child can excel in the chosen field, but how will you make a child fall in love with a subject he or she doesn't like or doesn't understand.

Plus people have half knowledge of all these so called money minting fields. They enter with big big expectation , then go broken heart. Have been seeing it everyday in IT. Hence telling 😃