Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 8 years ago

Originally posted by: daydreamers

Kuch rang me kya hua kal?

Once again she tries to confess to dev but fails n he leaves for meeting
He is quite nervous to meeting he is desperate for the deal n all focused on it
Later in the day when he returns sona abt to leave he offers driver will drop u
She agrees w/o any argument he is surprised
At home Elena asks about confession sona says he has so many things to do at home
Plus it so difficult Elena gets a brainstorm of sending them to dinner where
They get the right mahual for confession sona says not possible
Elena next day comes with sona and when the taxi guy doesn't charge the regular
SonA is adamant to pay right fare he shows her a brochure saying that it's
Promotion n if they regularly use their service he will charge only 1/4
Later he calls Tina n updates her that Dr Bose initially didn't accept the deal
Yet thanks to her he had the brochure n now she is convinced
Elena invite dev for dinner initially he refused
But later on insistence agrees at office guzral invites him for a dinner he politely
Refuses and says has another commitment guzral instantly comes I know ur not married
He says nor do I have a gf it's just some other commitment
Ranvir had proposed neha n at home she reasons with ria n decides to refuse him
Last scene sona n dev on dinner.. Cliffhanger
daydreamers thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Loveforlife

Jhan...🤣

Btw Kawach is getting postponed kya?? Naagin got extension.. 😆

🤣 bagh na rav maza doka ch firla.. Acche shows ko forum ranking bhi nahi and aise BOKWAS ko trps.. 

CNWK was good but now kapil fails to recreate that magic.. 

I ges whenever behind the camera ke jhagade saamne Aate hai am thrown back.. Same happened with bhabhiji ghar par hai.. The tussle started and I left it.. Again kapil ka kissa didn't watch CNL and CNB and now TKSS is another mother sister of intellect.. It doesn't come across as witty as CNWK was. Only shoiting, running, some lame takdhinadin, falling, ladki to ladka, ladka to ladki and celebrities ki beizzati.. 

I mean comedy is a vast field. Kitna explore kar sakte hai.. They could have brought a fresh concept.. The show resembles CNWK, CNL and CNB.. 

Kavach will be postponed till the tym naagin ki pyaas bujhti nahi... 

daydreamers thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Thanks jhalak... 😃
Congo shongo naseem. Best wishes to ur sis.. 

Rav kidhar waheeda rehman kidhar DT. 😆

Ek ore bolne ka "we celebrities shouldn't be dictated what to wear and what not to wear" and dusri ore try to get attention on khud pe even for a nose pin.. Hattt!!! Pagal 😡 chali waheeda rehman ban ne.. To be like waheeda rehman natural hona maangta hai, only the heavy rani necklaces won't be enough.  Wo to lens daal ke ghumti hai.. And expects She'll be like waheeda.. Hopeless creature!!!!! 
Fantasia. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Spoilt Modern Film Reviews: Kahaani 

Image: deccanchronicle.com

The following was submitted by SMIW reader Damini Kulkarni to our section Spoilt Modern Film Reviews.

Released in 2012, Kahaani is an unforgettable film. It is impossible not to remember it for Vidvya Balan's feisty presence, the menacing Bob Biswas, the unobtrusive shots of the city of Kolkata; which almost becomes a character within the film, the ever-adorable Satyuki and, of course, that spellbinding climax.

Kahaani was feted almost universally as a triumph for women in mainstream Hindi cinema. The film after all, is about Vidya Baghchi, who deftly upstages all the men in the story and accomplishes her goal with intensity and courage.

It is a woman-centric mystery thriller.

For the Hindi film industry, the two terms are almost paradoxical. It is perhaps this incongruity that seeps through - in the baffling, contradictory way with which the film depicts its female protagonist.

**Spoilers ahead**

Recapping Kahaani 

Kahaani is about a pregnant woman who is out to seek her missing husband in Kolkata. She meets people who she believes will help her and discovers that her husband's face resembles that of Milan Damji - a man trained by the IB who has now gone rogue and engineered the metro attacks. As she follows clues that will lead her, ostensibly, to her missing husband, she uncovers a particularly nefarious plot. She teams up with a cop to snare Damji. Vidya finally kills Damji, but it turns out that she faked her pregnancy.

In a flashback, it is revealed that a pregnant Vidya's husband died trying to stop the metro attacks. This tragedy, coupled with the loss of her baby, devastated her. However, she was urged by her husband's commanding officer to find the man within the system who is protecting Damji and eventually eliminate him. She cooks up the story of a missing husband to set the wheels in motion.

Kahaani addresses a multitude of feminist issues within its 122 minute run, including pregnancy, freedom, female single-hood and motherhood. It steers around these issues in ways that are sometimes subtly moving (Vidya's expression when she is told she will make a good mother) and sometimes gorgeously fierce (her self-assuredness as she speaks to the hotel owner). But its portrayal of women in general and of the protagonist specifically, is more layered than it may appear.

The Pregnant Woman

Kahaani's navigation around pregnancy is replete with social commentary. The first half of the film cements the idea that pregnancy need not be associated with debilitation or incompetence. As the pregnant Ms. Baghchi eats up the streets of Kolkata with her decisive strides, she comes across as stubborn, strong and endearingly vulnerable. She is able to tackle software with casual confidence, hack into computers and websites and follow clues in a way that even leaves policemen impressed.

She attracts the attention of a rookie cop and not one reference is made in the movie to any pregnant lady glow' or hormones in general.

So it may come as a disappointment to the feminist in the theater when it turns out that she is not pregnant after all. As the stereotype-subscribing cynic would say:

Of course she did all those thingsshe was not pregnant at all.

That little twist in the climax does not take away from the fact that Kahaani exposes a number of (generally male) assumptions about pregnancy. But it does complicate the premise that the film shatters the pregnant lady stereotype; especially as it explicitly stokes patriarchal ideas around pregnancy in the narrative that help Vidya accomplish her goals.

The Manipulative Woman 

Ms. Baghchi employs her pregnancy as a way to keep herself from being implicated (when she pretends to faint at the police station), coax a reluctant police informer to divulge details and get policemen to cooperate. In the words of Inspector Khan (played brilliantly by Nawazuddin Siddique) who plans to use Vidya to get to Damji, "No one suspects a pregnant woman". She appears vulnerable and stubborn by turns, arousing the protective instincts of the men whom she meets. This cements, strangely, that the woman must manipulate men to finally get she wants.

Researchers Glick and Fiske use the term benevolent sexism to describe attitudes towards women that appear positive and chivalrous but are actually harmful to gender equality. The head-patting condescension by some men in the film towards Vidya is reminiscent of this phenomenon. However, Vidya uses their benevolent sexism to eventually get what she wants from them.

Her manipulation of the men around her, thus, is also replete with contradictions. While it panders to an old stereotype, it also uses patriarchal ideas to finally lead to the accomplishment of the woman's goal.

The Unaccompanied Woman 

The film consistently depicts Vidya navigating around an alien city. As one reviewer observes, the manner in which she reclaims public spaces is particularly inspiring from a feminist standpoint. Her state of un-accompaniment is constantly remarkable to men who view it as a reason to protect or pity her. At one point, a cop also states: Some man got her pregnant and ran away. Ask her to give up and go back to London. What is the point in looking for him alone in an unknown city?'

The statement is wonderfully illustrative of attitudes towards single women or women whose husbands are not with them - they are either unsafe or abandoned.

The Avenging Woman 

While Vidya Baghchi comes across as a competent, fierce and courageous woman who finally ensures that justice is served, her motives are somewhat complicated. She is a wife and a mother who, on some level, is avenging the deaths of her husband and her unborn child. The depth of her need for revenge is reflected in her final interaction with Damji when she poses the question: can you bring back my husband?

The film also tacitly endorses the idea that a female's absolute wrath and fierce power are unlocked with the man or child in her life are threatened or killed. Thus limiting her agency to the role of a wife and then, a mother.

The Goddess 

What is perhaps, most stark of all, is the parallel drawn between Vidya and the Hindu deity, Durga.  Her menacing appearance as she looms over a dying Damji is reminiscent of the conventional portrayal of a Goddess within Hindu mythology - free flowing hair and ferocious eyes. However, the implication that she is like the goddess is not stark (by Hindi film standards). As reviewer Anna Vetticad notes, we are not subject to a tiring image of her as Durga.

Although, it does appear as a side note at the end of the film. Scenes of Durga visarjan are inter-cut with scenes of relatives of those killed in the metro attack as the narrator says: "Every year, Mother Durga appears. Eliminates evil. And goes away."

This is meant to refer to both, the Goddess and Vidya, disturbingly echoing a dominant, inherently Indian mindset towards women. If they are extraordinary, strong and unique, women must be equated to Goddesses. They must be permanently robbed of the everyday-ness of their femininity. In fact, the very idea that every (or indeed, any) woman is powerful is so threatening that the male narrator (relaying popular Hindu mythology) is compelled to add: "Gods created Goddess Durga."

Feminist theorist Kaja Silverman, in her book The Acoustic Voice, comments on how an omniscient narrator in cinema, who speaks from a position of power outside the story, is always male. As Amitabh Bachchan's signature baritone resolves the story, one cannot help but ask the question - would it have been more powerful and fitting to have female narration in the end? Kahaani is certainly not the only film that steers clear of using a female as a narrator who speaks from outside the story. In a film that places the female at the center of the story, adherence to the norm of a male narrator appears incongruous.

Despite its woman-centricity, Kahaani does not prominently portray the perspective of the female. The camera never zooms into her body, it shows her point of view repeatedly (which is more than can be said about a majority of Hindi cinema), but it does showcases the male gaze in the form of Satyoki's attraction towards Vidya.

Kahaani is replete with contradictions. And it is flawed.  

Perhaps, readers might shake their heads at these observations and think: These feminist types are never satisfied. On the contrary, it is these flaws and contradictions that are most likely to satisfy feminists. They are revelatory. An examination of these contradictions would tell us more about the million conflicting ideas in women's lives than resolving them ever would.

Kahaani defies a label; as do most Indian women. And that's what makes it real

HIDEnSEEK06 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Iqbal toh bilkul chamak raha hai  😉
Kya lagaya hai sahab ne?😛
HIDEnSEEK06 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
TKSS is as same as CNWK, nothing new.
Same repetitive jokes, set style & all...
Kapil should do something new & creative.
Whatever, TKSS is working for Kapil & Sony.
Let's see how much they can run like this... 
Fantasia. thumbnail
am i the only one who never saw CNWK and neither did i see TKSS .. 🤔 .. dont take me wrong but men dressing as women for humour has always repelled me .. if u want a female character .. why cant u hire a female? men dressing as women is like .. i just dont get it .. 😕 .. so was never attracted to either of these shows ever .. 

and yes rifuuu!! chamak raha hai Iqbal .. and he look so lean too .. weight loss main tu kamal kar diya! plus this man can even carry a turban! 😲 😆 
Edited by Fantasia. - 8 years ago
Fantasia. thumbnail
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR8wXykb2d4[/YOUTUBE]
Ibqla is so sweet .. he made akshay so comfortable! aww!! 😳
EEEKKSS...I SO LOVE THIS LOOK OF IQBAL...AND DUDE WHAT IN CHARACTER...
THIS GUY ...FEELS SO  PROUD TO BE HIS FAN...

Aarti is so Jhalli (she reminded me of Mona)...and the team seems well gelled too...Mutual Admiration school like Aakash-IQ pointed out ...haha

=================================

Did someone called DT Constipated...??🤣
Uske fans write Thesis on her Expressions . Call her Queen of Expression...
and You called her QUEEN OF EXPRESSION ERRR  CONSTIPATION...😲🤣 .

===========================================

I saw that YHM DDLJ Ad...yest when Rav mentioned abt it , I thought They have met and all is Good but had I had the question , why this song..?? and now after watching the ad I still have the same question...🤣 
Like they ar estill separated ...bt the song is Na jaane mere dil ko kyaa ho gaya ...errmmm Its more like pehle pyaar ka pehla ehsaas...and so does no go with these two's current scenario...
Makers seems like took SRK-Kajol thingy seriously...
waana be SRK and Constipated Queen ...aur SRK-Kajol...GHANTA...!!!

on a side nore , I also saw that Zee ka show Jamai Raja ad...that show too seems like have taken Leap and they played taht Saans song in the promo...Its soo well contructed Promo , that It could feel the emotions...
And on the contrary  in YHM ad...DT is all decked up ...Same OTT Expressions..and even Karan looks disinterested...:P
and if DT thinks she could try to be Waheeda Rehman...again GHANTA...🤣 

================================

I even saw Waaris ka Promo ...A boy is made to stand out of class and all the students are launghing in him . Passing by Teachers says ...you did it again , we hv called your mom..
MOther comes and its revealed that the Boy has pissed off in his Pants...He says Mom you only told naa not to go to Boy's Loo...
It was an Interesting Promo...⭐️

============================================

Reg CNWK, I used to watch it earlier...enjoyed it too..
but later It got way to repeatative...and most times Uncomfortable too..
The Tharki daadi's harkatein ...kissing everyone...got 🤢. and Piddhu singh was another Shot...
But I really liked Sunil Grover's Gutthi...😆

================================================

MAHPH ...has started to Bore me...

This is that Jamai Raja serial Promo..

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhLRlzzwXtU[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by RollingStones - 8 years ago