AA:Comedians and actors extend their support to Kiku Sharda

Sutapasima thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago

The actor was arrested from the sets of Comedy Nights with Kapil on Wednesday.

Mumbai: News of comedian Kiku Sharda's arrest has shaken the entire television industry. Fellow Comedians and actors who know the artiste personally have come in support of the noted comedian calling the arrest unfair'. Kiku was arrested from the sets of Comedy Nights with Kapil on Wednesday. Post arrest, the comedian was produced in a local court in Haryana which remaded him to a judicial custody of 14 days.

Reacting on the incident, Stand up comedian Gaurav Gera, a close friend of Kiku and hostof the show Jashne Ummed where the whole controversy started says, "I was part of the show where Kiku mimicked the Dera Sach Sauda chief Baba Gurmeet Ram Rahim in one of his act. Even though I did not see Kiku's performance, I can clearly tell you its not his fault. He was only mouthing lines given to him by the channel how can he alone be blamed. We do so many gags on politicians and other actors what if they also start getting offended. The whole thing is pretty scary. What happened to Kiku is very unfair. Besides whats the point in blowing a small matter out of proportion. Don't the baba's followers have better things to do ".

Echoing Gera's sentiments are well known comedians Sunil Pal and VIP who have performed with Kiku couple of times on the sets of Comedy Nights with Kapil. "Comedy is the biggest religion and the best act of kindness is making people laugh. How can they arrest people like us who are spreading cheer. This is harassment. Baba Ram Rahim is an artiste himself . Its so strange he got offended by a fellow actor's performance. I think his followers are unnecessarily making a non issue into one. Its indeed sad" says Pal. " We say so many things to make people smile. At times we even make fun of ourselves. How can what we say or do to make people laugh be taken as an offence" adds VIP.

Actor Ritvick Dhanjani who has done stand up comedy a number of times while hosting reality shows too empathises with Kiku and is absolutely unapologetic about venting his anger. "Whatever is happening is bullshit. Many have made fun of personalities like Shah rukh Khan and Radhe Maa. Did they ever complain. We are being caged for being creative. An actor does not perform on his own. If they have arrested Kiku they should arrest all the people responsible for that particular act" says Ritvick.

Kapil, the host and producer of Comedy Nights with Kapil has finally broken his silence on the issue. "I appeal to Gurmeet Ram Raheem Singh ji "INSAAN" to come in front of the media in regard to this matter and present a beautiful example of kindness by defending an actor, who only spreads happiness through his acting. Let's work for peace and happiness together" said Kapil on Twitter in support of his co star.

Meanwhile when contacted, Kiku's wife Priyanka Sharda said, "I am grateful to the team of Comedy Nights and all his industry friends who are standing by him and supporting him in this difficult time. Ever since i broke the news to our kids they have been crying and i have been consoling them. Which religion tells you to do all this. what has happened is very unfair. A person cannot exercise his right to freedom of expression. They have taken his phone. since his arrest i have had no conversation with him. I don't wish to say anything more on this."

Jan 14, 2016 | SAMEENA RAZZAQ | Mumbai