Ardhika SS - Someone Like You Updated 24/04/16 (CH 9, Pg 32)

esprit_00 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
Someone Like You

Ardhika Short Story by Esprit

This story will be a short one - at least I will try and keep it short. It will also go back and forth in time - so that is why I have written a little background on our main characters.

Arjun Mehra - He is 32 years old, single, keeps to himself and lives in Mumbai in present day. Partner at Bird Song & Marketing Executive (International Portfolio)

History:

At age 17, his father (in the Indian army) died tragically in the earthquake search & rescue mission. A year after his father's demise, while he was pursuing his undergrad at St Xavier's University, his mom was diagnosed with cancer (third stage). His mother was a partner at the Advertising firm Bird Song, which she had co-founded with her friend Piyali. Due to the rarity of cancer, his Aunt Nandini (mom's sister) living in Montreal, Canada had decided it was best for them to move in with her so her sister received the right medical attention and familial help, and at the same time Arjun could continue with his studies at McGill. Arjun had been an all-rounder student, good in sports and extra-curricular activities as well as in maintaining ace grades, so his admission to McGill University happened with much ease. Since he applied mid-term, he had to wait till the next quarter for his credits to transfer at the university to continue with his degree in management. While his mother received treatment, to keep him busy and away from morbid thoughts, Arjun worked as a ski instructor at the Olympic park (part time). The initial treatments had worked and his mom seemed to be recovering, but with cancer there is always a chance for relapse so she was under the watchful eye. After completing his undergrad, Arjun started working with his Aunt, who owned and managed an Event Management Company. It was a thriving business and the major plus point was the vast network contacts that he made during his tenure: from political events to fashion runways to corporate parties, it was a great experience for him. While still working with his Aunt, he decided to pursue his MBA with a focus on marketing, also at McGill.

Radhika Mishra - She is 27 years old, single, a very warm and charming person, and comes from a very close-knit family. She resides in New York City currently working as the Assistant Global Brand Manager (Marketing) for Lancome. 

History:

Radhika grew up in Montreal, Canada in a very sheltered environment. She has always been very focused in life, concentrating on studies and career, staying away from all sorts of distraction. Her family is supportive of her knowing they raised a good kid who held on to their instilled values. Her father works as an auditor for Revenue Canada and her mother used to be a school teacher until she had kids. Radhika is the youngest sibling and sometimes pampered more than her sister Ridhima & brother Ankush - mainly by her dada-ji. She completed her undergrad at McGill when she was 21 years old, and upon graduation started working at Loreal Canada as Digital and Brand Marketing Analyst. After five years of work at Loreal, Radhika successfully applied to an internal opening of Assistant Global Brand Manager Lancome (Marketing and Advertisement) in New York City working under the very cool and suave Neil Malhotra. This career step made her move away from home for the first time in life. It was a difficult transition for her, being away from family, but luckily her mom and Dada-ji had tagged along to stay with her for the initial few weeks to make things easier for Radhika. Through work, she is pursuing her executive MBA from NYU with a focus in Marketing.

Neil Malhotra

He is 31 years old, and the global brand manager for Lancome, dealing with various company subsidiaries including Loreal and Maybelline. His father is Caucasian and mother of Indian descent; his parents divorced when he was young, and was raised single-handedly by his mother. Malhotra is his maiden name. An optimist by nature, he is the most sought after bachelor in the company. A very jovial and suave fellow, Neil has taken Radhika under his wing guiding her in marketing world and helping her reach the potential he knows she is capable of. 

Samaira Khanna (Sam)

Sam is 30 years old and the eldest daughter of Piyali. She works as the Creative Director at Bird Song. A little bit self-absorbed, she still is a gentle person and caring friend. She has known Arjun since they were young, and used to have a crush on him. But all that faded with time as she could never truly read or understand him. Now she shares a cordial relationship with him, particularly since he is the boss, but can never connect with him on a personal level.

---------------------------------------------

Chapter 8 - Hiding My HeartEdited by esprit_00 - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

iheartChai thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Love It! 
So when's the first chapter? 😆
Ramyagirish thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Hi it's nice and interesting character sketch. Would love to know more abt d idea.  Would love to know how all r going 2 meet. Am excited. Please update  asap and as time permits u. Plz tc.
esprit_00 thumbnail
Hehee ... I shall try and post it tomorrow 😊
lovv thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
k...truly not expecting anything wen logged in...so seeing a new ss ...feels good...great gng...
nice to know arjun's father z  army man...(personally i think arjun can suit army, navy  officer well too...lol..even doc...scientist...if u leave me..i like to read dukes n dutchess type too...n .i vl go vth vampires n werewolf too..lol)

hmm...cancer...hmm..

i totally liked d set up n character sketch...

so totally canada n NY...good...

so radhika n arjun studied at same college but different years r8...nice...

liked neil n sam too... 

looking forward to d update...

Edited by lovv - 8 years ago
-GayathriK- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Wow that sounds really interesting!! 
Now that all the four are quite established with their careers and from quite different backgrounds i am really looking forward to seeing how this shapes up! 
Continue soon
--geny-- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Wow...Finally u writing something *Happy*
Nice character sketch...Will be waiting for true meaning behind "Someone like you"!

Please cont.Esprit.
esprit_00 thumbnail

Chapter 1 - A Memory

The thunder crackled jarring Arjun from his thoughts. He looked over to the window in his study noticing the raindrops trickle down. It had been pouring continuously since last night, reminding him he wasn't alone in shedding these silent tears. Exactly seven years ago, his mother had succumbed in her fight against cancer. The relapse after chemotherapy happened within two years of her recovery, and sadly the second time she wasn't strong enough to battle it out.

Life for him was never truly the same after his father's untimely death. It kept throwing one curveball after another, at the end leaving him with nothing. Arjun felt betrayed by God, by life, and by circumstances in general. He had moved back to India after completing his MBA, taking over the position at Bird Song his mother once held, hoping to live in the shadows of his parents' memory. 

He looked back at his desk noticing the piles of paper around his laptop. The entire weekend he had been going through various slogans and digital art for a major international contract. The brand executives from Lancome USA were due to arrive in Mumbai in a week's time to launch their new skincare line, and they had chosen Bird Song as one of the account contenders. Arjun knew how important this contract was for his company. A huge market existed within the Lancome brand, as it owned many different subsidiaries including Maybelline, L'Oreal, and Kiehls. They had already provided the Lancome Brand Manager in New York with preliminary presentations, and his team had appreciated their work, so Arjun knew Bird Song was definitely a front runner.

A new message window popped up on his laptop screen, and Arjun returned to his desk checking his email. It was from Neil's assistant on details of their trip and proposed meeting dates. "Radhika Mishra," he spoke softly. That name was very familiar to him, and he wondered if it was in fact the same girl from Montreal.

-------------------------------------------

Year 2006

"Excuse me... ummm, Mr. TA ... excuse me, hello?!" Radhika ran up behind the person who graded her term paper before he disappeared out of the building.  

"Me?!"

"Well, you are the TA for Marketing & Management 201 module right?"

"Yeah"

"I don't understand... I answered everything correctly in my paper. But you gave me a B-? I have never had a B anything... can you please tell me the reason why you didn't think this deserved an A?"

Radhika handed over her paper to the TA - he seemed mostly unapproachable but that was not going to deter her from getting answers. She knew he was enrolled in the MBA program and that he was part of the Indian Student Association here at McGill, but he hardly ever socialized with anyone. Not that she expected him to socialize with the undergrads considering he was much senior and it wasn't like she was part of that association, yet still there was no reason to be so cold and aloof all the time.

"Look I don't have time, but I stand by the grade I gave you... Ms. Radhika Mishra."

"Ok you don't understand... maybe we got off on the wrong foot. I am sorry if I was rude... but I don't want you to change the grade... just tell me my mistake so I don't repeat the same error in future."

"It's too clinical."

"Pardon me?!"

"Your paper... it's too bookish. Yes, you answered everything in the case studies correctly but that just tells me you've read all the books and listened to the lecture. It was a very safe answer. What I didn't see were your thoughts on various issues, neither did I see any 'out of the box' ideas. While what you wrote was good, I feel it could have been great had you let go of the calculated approach. I have marked your other assignments too, so I will offer you an advice... you are smart, just let go of your inhibitions and be confident with your own ideas and thoughts."

"Oh."

"So, now can I leave?!"

"Umm yeah ... thank you!"

Arjun handed her the paper back, and walked past her to the exit door.

"By the way, what's your name?" Radhika asked, turning towards the door.

"Arjun" he replied giving a slight smile as he left the building.

--------------------------------------------

"Arjun Mehra," she said to herself. Ever since she had seen the presentation submission from Bird Song, Radhika couldn't get the nagging thought out of her head that perhaps this Mr. Arjun Mehra was in fact Arjun the TA from McGill. The presentations he had submitted from Bird Song were very impressive, and between Neil and her, it was decided that he would get the contract, but they had to play fair and see if the other party could step up their game.

"What has you in such deep contemplation?" Neil was at the door noticing Radhika staring blankly at the empty sofa in her office.

"Umm, just this presentation from Bird Song"

"It was put together very nicely by this Arjun fellow. Have you forwarded our trip details and meeting times to him?"

"Yeah, I just emailed him; CC-ed you on it too."

"Please don't tell me you will take your mom or Dada-ji on this office trip?! I know we are allowed to take a spouse or relative for longer trips but I seriously suggest you learn to live a little independently."

Smiling at that comment, she simply replied "I really wish I could take my mom ... considering how neither of us has ever been to India, but she is busy with my sister's wedding preps."

"Oh yeah it's coming up in a few months' time, right. Desi weddings, I tell ya!"

"Well, you are invited to my Di's big fat desi wedding in Montreal!"

"Hmm, I'd love to attend. I have already marked it on the calendar - even bringing my gorgeous date, you know, my mom!" he added with his million dollar smile.

"Yeah, I have asked Maa to add you both to the guest list."

"But seriously Radhika, I know you must be a little apprehensive about the trip, taking in the fact that you have never set foot in India. You needn't worry about anything - I will be by your side all the time, and the company is providing us with security and chauffer so it should be ok! Personally, I think it's a great career move and you will learn a lot. Just make sure you have had all your travel shots before getting on that flight."

"Already got the shots... got them right after I received my visa stamped passport in mail."

"I can't believe they took over a month to issue you a visa"

"It's ok ... I figured it would take time after all the detailed questions about my family history.
The stickler was my parents' birthplace to be Karachi, Pakistan."

"Oh well, it's all settled now."

"Yeah"

--------------------------------------------

After replying to Lancome executives with the confirmation email, Arjun had retired early to bed for the night. As a welcomed distraction from his usual sullen thoughts, his mind kept drifting to the young girl back in Montreal with the most innocent and expressive brown eyes. The first time he had met her was while working at the Olympic park as a ski instructor. She was probably in her early teens back then, accompanying her brother on the ski hill. Clearly she was a novice, as she couldn't handle the jump slopes. Arjun remembered rushing to her side in panic when he saw her crash land after the ski jump. Radhika was unconscious for some time and her brother had quickly come to her aid as well. Fortunately, she just had a mild concussion and no other injuries. She was very lucky albeit a horrible skier. He couldn't help but smile at that memory.

-------------------------------

Year 2002

"Hey... are you ok?" Arjun gently cupped the young girl's face making sure she was still conscious.

"Yeah, I think so. Am I alive?" she replied faintly, with her eyes closed.

Chuckling to himself, he asked "Do you feel any pain?"

"My head hurts."

"The medic should be here shortly, but just stay with me, ok! Tell me, what's your name?"

"Radhika Mishra"

"Do you go to school?"

"Yes... at Rosemount"

"What's your father's name?"

"Umm... Dilip Mishra"

"Radhika... Radhika ... Are you ok?"

Arjun turned around and looked towards the voice. He saw a guy about his age running hurriedly in his snow gear, closing in the distance between them.

"Ankush Bhaiyya?" she meekly cried.

"Is she ok?! She was right behind me... I shouldn't have forced her to jump. Radhu, are you ok?"

"I think she will be alright - seems like a concussion. The medic is on their way, so just try and talk to her in the meantime. Don't let her drift to sleep, and don't move her."

Arjun got up and moved away slightly, letting the girl's brother take over. Soon the medic arrived taking her vitals, making sure Radhika was not seriously injured. Just as he had suspected, it was a minor concussion but they were taking her down to the Park Clinic to be completely sure.

"Hey ... uhh ... thanks!"

"I didn't do anything."

"Still ... she's my baby sister, and just helping her out until I got here."

"It's no problem, really."

"Well, thanks anyway."

Arjun simply nodded at that and watched them leave with the paramedics.

---------------------------

Never in a lifetime, had Arjun thought would he see that girl again. It was during the time he was working with his Aunt in Montreal and pursuing his Master's degree that he came across her again.  Radhika became a bit of mystery to him, and in a way she intrigued him. He had seen her initially with a friend at a few fashion events, organized by Aunt Nandini's company. Mostly she seemed uninterested in everything happening around. But, he wasn't sure at the time if she was the same kid from skiing accident all grown up. It was only when he came across her name during his TA tenure at McGill and saw her in some of the classes; he knew she was in fact the very same Radhika Mishra.

Even at university, unlike other students her age, she hardly ever participated in social events hosted by Indian Student Association. It was mostly at charity galas and fundraisers; he would see her actively participating.  For a girl who talked a lot and could befriend any random person walking on the roadside, she was mostly reserved and didn't have many close friends.

Arjun really wondered if this Lancome Assistant Manager visiting India next week was the same girl he had crossed paths with in his younger years. Fate always had a way of introducing and re-introducing her in his life when he seemed to be drowning in an abyss of darkness.

-------------------------------

Radhika was closing down her computer as she was done with work for the day. She and Neil were meeting up with his mom for dinner at an Italian restaurant nearby. Contrary to a few rumors circulating at work, they weren't dating nor did they like each other in that sense. It was a relationship beyond friendship or mentorship, neither could label it. Whatever it was, they enjoyed each other's company immensely and were very protective of one other.

"Umm... Neil?"

"Yeah..."

"What do you know about this Arjun person at Bird Song?"

"Hmm... Why so curious?"

"It's just that I knew one Arjun in university... and I had this feeling that perhaps the Mumbai Arjun Mehra is in fact the Montreal Arjun."

"Interesting... you do realize that Arjun is a really common name? But tell me, was this McGill Arjun cute?"

"Well, yeah... I mean no ... I am serious, Neil."

"Were you two 'friends' who lost contact with each other when you moved to the Big Apple?!" added Neil in amusement.

"No... I have only spoken to him maybe 5-6 times in total... but there was something very different about him. His eyes were always so earnest - there was a certain sadness that I could see in them at times but then he would mask it perfectly."

"Oh my God! You had a crush on him!"

"I did not!"

"Oh really?!"

"Yes, really... you know I never had a boyfriend or dated for that matter. I am just not tuned that way. And yes, I am straight!"

Laughing hysterically, Neil added "Calm down, Chashni!! I was only kidding. I have briefly met this Arjun fellow a couple months ago and he seemed very prim-proper. A bit stoic in his appearance and dealings, but that's just a personality issue. Other than that, he is really good at his job."

"See, that's why I think my Arjun could be your Arjun!"

Neil raised an eyebrow at that, "So it's your Arjun now?!"

"You know what I mean", she said in annoyance.

"Good Lord ... you are killing me right now ... I haven't laughed so hard in a long time."

Ignoring her boss come friend's hysterical laughter, Radhika continued, "The thing is he was really smart - in fact on a couple occasions that we did speak, he actually gave me sound advice. In a way, he helped me understand my creative side more. I just respect him, you know."

"That's very sweet... I just became diabetic listening to you go on about him. So tell me, what if he does turn out to be the same Arjun?!"

"Hmm... I don't know. But you are probably right. It's not like there is only one Arjun on this planet."

"Just relax Radz ... I think you are stressing too much over this office trip. I told you it will be fine."

"Yeah, you are probably right."

-------------------------

Prerna Aunty was a very hardworking and gentle lady. Radhika had taken a liking to her instantly when they first met almost two years ago. Neil and his mom were family away from home for her, and she was very grateful to them for including her in their everyday affairs. They were at the restaurant for the past hour trying various items from the authentic Italian menu. Dinner so far had been delicious, thus Neil and Radhika had decided to try the tiramisu for dessert.

"Chashni, I think your phone is buzzing."

"Oh it must be Maa."

Radhika answered the phone excusing her from the table.

"Radhu, how are you doing? Hope I didn't disturb you."

"I am fine, Maa ... just having dinner with Neil and Aunty."

"I know you will be travelling next weekend so please be careful... you got all your travel shots right!? Make sure you take a first aid kit... with all the basic medicines and ointments. Just be careful of what you drink and eat too. And don't go out alone!"

"Maa ... don't worry, I bought most of over-the-counter medicines to take with me, and I told you already that I got my travel shots a month ago. And I won't be alone ... Neil will be there too."

"Beta, he is even more angrez than you. At least you speak complete Hindi and Urdu, unaccented. Don't get me wrong - I am happy that is he accompanying you, but you both are too simple and straightforward."

"I think you are underestimating us."

"Perhaps... but you have never travelled so far away on your own before. I am just tense."

"It will be ok."

"You are right... ummm, can I talk to Neil?!"

"Yeah, hold on."

Radhika returned to the table, handing over her cell to Neil, "Maa wants to talk to you."

"Hello Aunty, how are you?!"

"Hi Beta, I am fine ... and yourself?"

"Simply awesome"

"Beta, please take care of Radhika - it's her first time travelling such a long distance on her own. And I am just worried about her."

"Don't worry Aunty! Trust me; your Radhika is in safe hands."

"Thank you - just remind her to pack the medicines and aid kit too."

"I shall."

"And give my regards to your mom."

"For sure"

"Thanks again, Beta. I'll talk to you later."

"Bye Aunty."

"Here you go Radhika," said Neil returning her cellphone "And please don't forget to pack your travel first aid kit". He then burst into laughter shaking his head at his very sheltered friend. "Mom, Aunty sends her regards to you."

"Stop it, Neil. Mala-ji has every right to worry. On a serious note, Radhika, I am sure you will be fine. I hope you two have some time off to actually tour and explore the city."

"Yeah, we were planning it, considering we are there for almost a month" added Radhika.

"Good."

--------------------------------------

Preview: Chapter 2 - Welcome to Mumbai

Edited by esprit_00 - 8 years ago
iheartChai thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
First to reply!  I hope ⭐️
What a lovely start to this SS.

So Arjun and Radhika have met in the past?  Really like the line "Fate always had a way of introducing and re-introducing her in his life when he seemed to be drowning in an abyss of darkness."

Totally enjoying the friendship/bond of Neil and Radhika.

Cannot wait for Arjun and Radhika to met in Mumbai 😃
esprit_00 thumbnail

Originally posted by: iheartChai

First to reply!  I hope ⭐️

What a lovely start to this SS.

So Arjun and Radhika have met in the past?  Really like the line "Fate always had a way of introducing and re-introducing her in his life when he seemed to be drowning in an abyss of darkness."

Totally enjoying the friendship/bond of Neil and Radhika.

Cannot wait for Arjun and Radhika to met in Mumbai 😃

It was taking me some time to edit it ... the site was giving me grief.

Thanks 😃 ! I am glad you liked that line.

Yes, Arjun and Radhika have crossed paths with each other in the past. It wasn't love / like at first sight or anything, but the brief encounters left them wanting to know more about one another. As I said Arjun was intrigued by her and it was the same for her. That air of mystery left them wanting to know more. But neither actually tried,  they had other things to focus on in life during that phase. However, their short meetings were enough to leave a permanent mark in their memory. 😊

Hope I made sense ... it will all unfold as the story progresses.