Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

notfadedaway thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 17 years ago
heyyy...i m waiting karan and yash chopra to direct a new moviee with srkkkk šŸ˜† šŸ˜† šŸ˜†
notfadedaway thumbnail
The Dream Merchants: Karan & Barjatiya

CNN-IBN Entertainment Editor Rajeev Masand spoke to the dream merchants of this make-believe world, the craftsmen who add colour to our humble imagination ā‚¬" Sooraj Barjatya and Karan Johar, two of Indiaā‚¬ā„¢s biggest filmmakers who are as different as chalk and cheese.

But despite their obvious dissimilarities there is much that they have in common.

Sooraj Barjatyaā‚¬ā„¢s ultimate family drama Hum Aapke Hain Kaun was the one film that broke Sholayā‚¬ā„¢s box office record crossing a Rs 100 crore collection in the country for the first time.

And Karan Joharā‚¬ā„¢s Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna emerged as unquestionably the most widely discussed film of the year.

He moved away from his own tried and tested formula and ventured into areas he had never tackled before with this film.

Rajeev Masand: The two of you know each other well, yet you people donā‚¬ā„¢t meet often. Why is that?

Karan Johar: I think Sooraj ji is not like me. I am very largely a page three person. But I think Sooraj ji is quite introverted in that respect.

Rajeev Masand: Many months ago we asked Karan Johar about the one film that changed his life. And the answer he gave was completely surprising.

He said, "After seeing Hum Aapke Hain Kaun I realized Indian cinema is about values, tradition, subtlety, romance. There is so much soul in it. After watching this film I got the answers to all the questions I had in my mind. I decided to go ahead and be a filmmaker only after watching this film." What do you have to say to that?

Sooraj Barjatya: It feels really great to know that I have been a part of Karan Joharā‚¬ā„¢s success. I admire Karan for his simplicity. I remember he came to me after writing the script of Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham.

He sat next to me and narrated me the entire three-hour long script. I was filled with tears at the end. Though we donā‚¬ā„¢t meet often, the very fact that he came to me to narrate his script, makes me feel proud.

Rajeev Masand: A couple of days ago we spoke to Sooraj Barjatya and asked about his favourite film.

And he said, "I liked Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna because there was a rare honesty in that film. A lot of people criticized the film. But I think it has portrayed everything in a pious manner. It really amazes me that without even going through the problems of married life, Karan has been able to portray every scene in a most realistic manner."

Karan Johar: This is going to be an episode of all love and reverence and affection. I just want to say that Iā‚¬ā„¢m a filmmaker because I witnessed Hum Aapke Hain Kaun. Seeing it made a huge difference to my life.

I remember Sooraj ji sent me an SMS after watching Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna congratulating me. I still have that message. I know this sounds mushy but despite the fact that Sooraj ji has not trained me as a filmmaker, he is like a guru to me.

Rajeev Masand: You just said that Sooraj ji liked Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna despite the fact that the film shows a married Shah Rukh Khan and Rani Mukhrjee getting intimate with each other. A lot of people would want to know if they would ever see things like extra marital affair or pre-marital sex in a Sooraj Barjatya film?

Sooraj Barjatya: Of course, if the subject requires such a thing to be shown or tomorrow as a filmmaker if I see it being a part of the general society, it might feature in my film as well. If something is a part of the society, it could be a part of my film too. Iā‚¬ā„¢m sure Karan must have studied his characters before he came out with a story like this.

Generally my films and the characters are traditional. If I had conceived KANK, itā‚¬ā„¢s setting would not have been New York but perhaps somewhere in Delhi.

Perhaps Amit ji's character would have been someone from Haridwar or Jhansi who dons a holy ganji. I think itā‚¬ā„¢s just the way we look at characters.

But for the moment, my latest film Vivah, does not talks of any such subject.

Rajeev Masand:I would like to ask Karan what is his least favourite Sooraj Barjatyaā‚¬ā„¢s film?

Karan Johar: That is not a very nice question to ask really. It would be unfair to answer this question. I am only going to say that Hum Aapke Hain Kaun is my favourite Sooraj Barjatya film.

I think Maine Pyar Kiya and Hum Aapke Hain Kaun will remain in everyoneā‚¬ā„¢s memory as exceptionally brilliant and beautiful films. There are some extremely beautiful moments in Hum Saath Saath Hain as well.

Rajeev Masand: We talked about how different the two of you are. We also talked about Sooraj jiā‚¬ā„¢s traditional films and Karan Joharā‚¬ā„¢s school of western characters. But if you really come to think, in a way, arenā‚¬ā„¢t the root ideologies that inspires your films are pretty much the same?

Karan Johar: As I said, my films and moments are derivative of Sooraj Barjatyaā‚¬ā„¢s school of filmmaking. There will always be certain tradition running right through.

I believe even Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna is a traditional film. It just depends how you look at it. I have grown up on Indian cinema. I have grown up watching Raj Kapoor and Yash Chopra film songs. So what if the saris fly, the heroines wear tight clothes, and hero spreads his arms ā‚¬" I just love the quintessential Indian cinema and would always stick to it.

Sooraj Barjatya: I think the films that I or Karan make have got a lot to do with the kind of lives that we have led. We are far away from the harsh truths of life. We have only seen the beautiful aspect of life and thatā‚¬ā„¢s what we depict in our films. People often say that my films are way too nice and sweet and far away from reality. But the truth is that what we are depicting on-screen what we have seen in real life.

None of us have actually seen what poverty is. We donā‚¬ā„¢t know what is it like getting slapped on the roads when you have not done anything wrong.

We have seen life, as something very sweet and nice and that is what gets reflected on-screen.

Rajeev Masand: So are you saying that you would never make a sad film or something which shows a little more realistic characters?

Sooraj Barjatya: Perhaps not. Even if we want to make such a film, we will not do so because we donā‚¬ā„¢t want to see or depict the ā‚¬Ėœblackā‚¬ā„¢ side the world.

Rajeev Masand: Are you intrigued by grey characters and different genres?

Karan Johar: I think grey characters certainly intrigue me because we all live with the grey characters in real life. If we were black, we would be in prison, and if we were white we would have wings and polished hallows. I think most of us actually operate with the grey.

I completely endorse grey characters and will portray them in my own way. But I completely agree with Sooraj ji when he says that depicting certain realities that you havenā‚¬ā„¢t felt or seen around, would be synthetic and artificial.

Rajeev Masand: Finally, we are going to ask each of you five different questions that will tell how much the two of you know each others films. There is no prize in the end because of course we cannot match up with Karan Joharā‚¬ā„¢s coffee hamper. My first question is for Sooraj Barjatya.

Who were the two stars who made special appearances in two different song of Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna?

Sooraj Barjatya:Kajol and John (Abraham).

Karan Johar: That is the correct answer.

Rajeev Masand: We know that Kirron Kher hails from Chandigarh in the film. How does Amitabh Bachchan know where she hails from in the film?

Karan Johar: How can you ask such a question? Iā‚¬ā„¢m sure Sooraj ji knows the answer so lets give it to him.

Rajeev Masand: Okay, we give this to Sooraj ji for free. What is the name of the magazine that Preity Zinta works for in the film?

Sooraj Barjatya: Is it Diva?

Karan Johar: That is the correct answer.

Rajeev Masand: Which city does Rani Mukherji moves to after her divorce from Abhishek in the film?

Sooraj Barjatya: I think she moves to Philadelphia.

Karan Johar: Iā‚¬ā„¢m sure not many people would have remembered that really. I am worried now and hope that I remember all things about Sooraj jiā‚¬ā„¢s film.

Rajeev Masand: That was a five out of five for Sooraj Barjatya and now the focus is on Karan. Five questions about Hum Aapke Hain Kaun, now for Karan Johar.

Karan Johar: I really have a bad memory.

Rajeev Masand: What has Madhuri (Dixit) studied in Hum Aapke Hain Kaun?

Karan Johar: Computers.

Sooraj Barjatya: That is the correct answer.

Rajeev Masand: Which old Hindi film song is playing in the recorder while the family is playing the pillow game in the film?

Karan Johar: I think it was Hasta hua noorani chehra. Was it?

Sooraj Barjatya: Yes, that is correct.

Rajeev Masand: What colour were the ā‚¬Ėœmojarisā‚¬ā„¢ that were hidden in the film?

Karan Johar: The mojaris were cream coloured.

Rajeev Masand: Seems like you two really know each others movies. Tell me, when exactly does Madhuri use the phrase Hum aapke hain kaun in the film?

Karan Johar: I remember that one. I think she speaks that over the phone, isnā‚¬ā„¢t it? How can I not know this? Give me some time for that question, I would rather answer that later.

Rajeev Masand: Okay, never mind that. Tell me what kind of sign language does Madhuri and Salman use to tease each other in the film?

Karan Johar: They cough to tease each other. But I lost out on the earlier question. When does she really say that phrase Hum aapke hain kaun in the film?

Sooraj Barjatya: She says it at the pool side in the film.

Rajeev Masand: So the two of you really proved that you know each others films well. Before we wind up, I have one final question for both of you.

Your movies have made a lot of money. There are fans across the world that embrace the films that you make. But perhaps there is also a set of people that doesnā‚¬ā„¢t relate to happy and sweet films. What do you have to tell the people who do not relate to your films?

Karan Johar: They donā‚¬ā„¢t have to relate to our films. Not everyone has to love everything that you do. If you have 100 per cent acceptance of your creativity, you will never grow. It is important to be criticised, so that you enjoy the praise. I love criticism and Iā‚¬ā„¢m saying this with all my earnestness.

I hear criticism much more clearly than I hear my praise. I know that every piece of art will always find all kinds of opinions. You have to listen to people and then do things that you believe. You canā‚¬ā„¢t borrow creativity at all. It has to come from within.

Sooraj Barjatya: I absolutely agree with Karan. The day a filmmaker decides to make only the kind of film that the audience wants; he loses all his credibility and audiences.

Rajeev Masand: Lets hope that you always make films that you believe in. We would be looking forward to seeing all the movies that you two are going to make. Thank you so much for talking to us.

Sooraj Barjatya: Thank you, too.
notfadedaway thumbnail
Yash chopras website

www.yashrajfilms.com

Karan johars website

dharma-production.com
notfadedaway thumbnail
Ta Ra Rum Pum (2007) (filming) (producer)
Fanaa (2006) (producer)
Neal 'N' Nikki (2005) (producer)
Salaam Namaste (2005) (producer)
Bunty Aur Babli (2005) (producer)
Veer-Zaara (2004) (producer)
... aka Yash Chopra's Veer-Zaara (India: English title: complete title)
Dhoom (2004) (producer)
... aka Blast (International: English title)
Hum Tum (2004) (producer)
Saathiya (2002) (producer)
Mujhse Dosti Karoge! (2002) (producer)
... aka Let's Be Friends! (informal literal English title)
Mere Yaar Ki Shaadi Hai (2002) (producer)
... aka My Friend's Wedding (International: English title)
Mohabbatein (2000) (producer)
... aka Love Stories (Europe: English title)

Humko Ishq Ne Mara (1997) (TV) (producer)
... aka Love Is Gonna Get Us (India: English title)
Dil To Pagal Hai (1997) (producer)
... aka The Heart Is Crazy (International: English title)
Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995) (producer)
... aka DDLJ (India: Hindi title: informal short title)
... aka Lovers Will Walk Off with the Bride (UK: informal English title)
... aka The Big-Hearted Will Win the Bride (USA: informal English title)
... aka The Brave Heart Will Take the Bride (USA: informal literal title)
Yeh Dillagi (1994) (producer)
... aka The Game of Love (India: English title)
Darr (1993) (producer)
... aka Fear
Lamhe (1991) (producer)
... aka Lamhen
... aka Lamhey
... aka Moments

Chandni (1989) (producer)
Vijay (1988) (producer)
Faasle (1985) (producer)
... aka Distances (India: English title)
Mashaal (1984) (producer)
... aka The Torch (India: English title)
... aka Torch (International: English title)
Sawaal (1982) (producer)
... aka The Question (India: English title)
Silsila (1981) (producer)
... aka The Affair (India: English title)
Nakhuda (1981) (producer)

Kaala Patthar (1979) (producer)
... aka Black Stone (India: English title)
... aka Coal Mine (India: English title)
Noorie (1979) (producer)
... aka A Girl Called Noorie (India: English title)
Doosra Aadmi (1977) (producer)
... aka The Other Man (India: English title)
Kabhi Kabhie - Love Is Life (1976) (producer)
... aka Sometimes
Daag: A Poem of Love (1973) (producer)
... aka The Stain
... aka The Stigma

Filmography as: Producer, Director, Miscellaneous Crew, Writer, Actor, Soundtrack, Second Unit Director or Assistant Director, Self

Director - filmography
(2000s) (1990s) (1980s) (1970s) (1960s) (1950s)

Veer-Zaara (2004)

Dil To Pagal Hai (1997)
Darr (1993)
... aka Fear
Parampara (1992)
... aka Tradition
Lamhe (1991)
... aka Lamhen
... aka Lamhey
... aka Moments

Chandni (1989)
Vijay (1988)
Faasle (1985)
... aka Distances (India: English title)
Mashaal (1984)
... aka The Torch (India: English title)
... aka Torch (International: English title)
Silsila (1981)

Kaala Patthar (1979)
... aka Black Stone (India: English title)
... aka Coal Mine (India: English title)
Trishul (1978)
... aka Trident (International: English title)
Kabhi Kabhie - Love Is Life (1976)
... aka Sometimes
Deewaar (1975)
... aka I'll Die for Mama
... aka Wall
Joshila (1973)
... aka Zesty
Daag: A Poem of Love (1973)
... aka The Stain
... aka The Stigma

Ittefaq (1969)
... aka Coincidence
Aadmi Aur Insaan (1969)
... aka Man and Humanity
Waqt (1965)
... aka Time
Dharmputra (1961)

Dhool Ka Phool (1959)
... aka Blossom of Dust
... aka Flowers of the Dust

Filmography as: Producer, Director, Miscellaneous Crew, Writer, Actor, Soundtrack, Second Unit Director or Assistant Director, Self

Miscellaneous Crew - filmography
(In Production) (1990s) (1980s) (1960s)

Dhoom 2 (2006) (post-production) (presenter)
... aka D:2 - Back in Action (India: English title: informal English alternative title)

Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998) (thanks) (as Yash Uncle)
... aka KKHH (India: Hindi title: informal short title)
... aka Something Is Happening (UK)
Yeh Dillagi (1994) (presenter)
... aka The Game of Love (India: English title)
Aaina (1993) (presenter)
... aka The Mirror
Rudaali (1993) (acknowledgment: member N.F.D.C.) (as Shri Yash Chopra)
... aka The Mourner (India: English title)

Lorie (1984) (grateful acknowledgment)

Kanoon (1960) (associate director)
... aka The Law

Writer - filmography
(1990s) (1980s)

Dil To Pagal Hai (1997) (screenplay)

Silsila (1981) (screenplay)

Actor - filmography

Veer-Zaara (2004) (uncredited) .... Narrator

Soundtrack - filmography

Veer-Zaara (2004) ("Kyon Hawa")

Second Unit Director or Assistant Director - filmography

Naya Daur (1957) (assistant director) (as Yash)
... aka The New Age

Self - filmography
(2000s) (1990s)

There Is No Direction (2005) .... Himself
Bollywood im Alpenrausch (2000) (TV) .... Himself

Dil To Pagal Hai (1997) (uncredited) .... Himself (opening credits seqence)

notfadedaway thumbnail

Karan Johar (born May 25, 1972 in India) is a son of the late Yash Johar and a popular Indian film director, producer, and TV celebrity. Karan studied at the Greenlawns High School and attended H.R.College in Mumbai, India. Karan has also received a Masters degree in French. Dharma Productions, founded by his father, is his production company.

Career

Karan Johar was first seen as an actor: he played Shahrukh Khan's close friend, Rocky, in the movie Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge (1995). He was also assistant director on this film and helped Aditya Chopra in writing the screenplay. In addition, he selected Shahrukh Khan's costumes, something he continued to do for Shahrukh Khan's other movies like Dil To Pagal Hai (1997), Duplicate (1998), Mohabbatein (2000), Main Hoon Na and Veer-Zaara (2004).

He made his directorial debut in 1998 with Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, which roughly translates to Something Something Happens. The film was a major box office hit. Kuch Kuch Hota Hai won eight Filmfare Awards in 1998 including Best Movie, Best Director and all four Best Actor awards for both leading and supporting roles. The film, commonly abbreviated KKHH, starred Shahrukh Khan, Kajol, Rani Mukerji, Salman Khan and Anupam Kher.

His second directorial effort, the multi-starrer family drama Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, which roughly translates to Sometimes Happiness Sometimes Sadness, was released in 2001. It was also highly successful. K3G, as the film is commonly abbreviated, went on to win five Filmfare Awards.

Karan Johar's signatureIn 2003, he produced and wrote the script for Kal Ho Naa Ho, which was directed by Nikhil Advani, his assistant director from Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. Kal Ho Naa Ho, which roughly translates to Tomorrow May Never Come, starred Jaya Bachchan, Shahrukh Khan, Saif Ali Khan and Preity Zinta. It too was a hit.

In early 2005, he produced another movie, Kaal, directed by Soham Shah, Johar's assistant director from Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham. Johar did not write the script to Kaal.

In September 2005, after taking a four-year break from directing, he began working on his third film as a director and fourth film as writer, Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna, which roughly translates to Never Say Goodbye. It stars Amitabh Bachchan, Shahrukh Khan, Rani Mukerji, Preity Zinta, Abhishek Bachchan, Kiron Kher and Arjun Rampal. KANK, as the film is commonly abbreviated, released on August 11, 2006.

Karan Johar among fans and journalists on October 7th, 2006 at the Frankfurt Book FairJohar has also hosted a television chat show called Koffee with Karan commissioned by Star World, in which he interviewed renowned celebrities from Bollywood and India's glamor world. Johar describes his show as being "casual, cooler and hipper" and aiming to appeal to Indian yuppiedom. With the first season of the show ending in 2005, Karan will begin the second season in the second half of 2006. The second season is also said to include interviews with prominent industrialists.

He was the host for the 2006 Zee Cine Awards on March 4th in Mauritius.

Filmography

Writer

Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (2006)
Kal Ho Naa Ho (2003)
Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham (2001)
Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998)

Director

Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham (2001)

Producer

Untitled Tarun Mansukhani Project (2007)
Untitled Soham Shah Project (2007)
Kaal (2005) (co-producer)
Kal Ho Naa Ho (2003)
Duplicate (1998)

Actor

Alag (2006) in song Sabse Alag
Home Delivery: Aapko... Ghar Tak (2005) ... As himself
Indian Idol (2004) ... Guest judge
Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995) ... Rocky

Directorial Style

Karan Johar's movies, generally classified as emotional melodramas, find a wide appeal among audiences in India and abroad. His movies tend to glorify the traditions and values of Indian people, and focus on the urban sections of India in particular. Inspired by Yash Chopra's style of filmmaking, almost all of Johar's films rank high in the "feel good" and "glamorous realism" factor. Karan Johar movies consistently celebrate material luxuries and are characterized by elaborate sets, exquisite costumes and picturesque songs.

diyafah thumbnail
thanx ayesha for the wonderflul articles..
answer the question..so that it trails u into another question! šŸ˜³
srk_kadz thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Count me in... Phew I am crazy abt KJ... šŸ˜³
diyafah thumbnail

Originally posted by: srk_kadz

Count me in... Phew I am crazy abt KJ... šŸ˜³

sure..y not..afterall..even he loves srk-kajol chemistry!šŸ˜³
Celina7 thumbnail
hey i wanna join anureet!!! šŸ˜³ n happy halloween every1!
diyafah thumbnail

Originally posted by: Celina7

hey i wanna join anureet!!! šŸ˜³ n happy halloween every1!

sure celina!welcum!šŸ‘ ..happy halloween to u to!šŸ˜ƒEdited by diyafah - 17 years ago