Saturday is the new reality check: Riteish Deshmukh

touch_of_pink thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 8 years ago

Saturday is the new reality check

Riteish Deshmukh on the trade, changing trends, being on a career high as an actor and producer

Sarita A Tanwar

Riteish Deshmukh started off his career as a solo hero in Tujhe Meri Kasam in 2003. and followed it up with Out Of Control. After just two films, he realised that perhaps his career needs a different path to success. He found his space in films with a multi star-cast like Masti, Maalamaal Weekly, Bluffmaster!, Cash, Apna Sapna Money..!, Kyaa Super Kool Hain Hum and Aladin to name a few.

Unlike many heroes who start off with solo careers and stubbornly continue doing those till they are forced to retire, Riteish made the most of what was available to him. He came from an affluent background and could have continued making films mainlining him, but he didn't let his ego get in the way of his dream. Today, he in the position to pick and choose films. I don't know if success is always sweeter when it comes after a struggle, but it's got to be lot more satisfying. Today he has earned the position he is at, along with respect. In the last two years, he has come into his own. He is flying high professionally and personally, but remains the same grounded guy I'd met during an interaction during the release of his first film. Here he talks about being on a high, career-wise, about changing attitudes in the trade and the way ahead.

The last two years have been rather significant for you in terms of your career. What do you attribute that to?

I think there are two things. I felt that the growth of the industry in terms of approach towards actors and not trying to cast them in the same roles, trying offbeat casting and people also being excited to see someone new in that role. Probably that has helped. I was lucky enough to have that opportunity be it, acting in Ek Villain, producing Balak Palak or doing a film like Lai Bhaari. Eventually, all these things timed out well for me. Thanks to them, I got Bangistan and YRF's Bank Chor, which are not the typical comedies that I am associated with.

Grand Masti and Ek Villain took you to a different level, both crossing '100 crores. In Marathi, it was Lai Bhaari that created new records. Is there a feeling of vindication?

One thing I learnt in the last ten years is that once the Friday is over, it's the past. You have to let go. I have seen a lot of people who are living on Fridays that have really gone back. Saturday is a new day, Saturday is the reality check, you have to move on. As an actor, I feel the only day you should enjoy or be sad about is a Friday. Saturday you have to go out and start work again.

That's easier said than done, no?

I know, but I have been a part of films that have not worked and of films that have been successes, but I don't carry either forward. All that matters is the experience that you had while working on the films. Yes, it's easier said than done, but I consciously try to work towards that, because everyone is on top of the game, everyone is doing great. There is so much to learn from female actors as well as from male co-stars. I saw Ranveer in Dil Dhadakne Do, and he was incredible, the way he did it. It was so easy and so nice, he was so wonderful. So it's not about, Oh, if I would have done the role would I do the same thing?" It's about... he did it so differently so what I can do in my next film, that will be so refreshing? I got a chance in Ek Villain and I tried my best, I did my best but the film is done. What next?

You've always been a hero of the masses. With Bangistan, are you trying to reach out to a different set of people.

No. Till the time Ritesh Sidhwani called me for Bangistan I never thought that I would be the actor that Excel would approach or Yashraj would want me for a lead for Bank Chor, but I was glad they had thought of me.

Bangistan looks too similar to Welcome to Karachi.

They are two different films. But it's about two people caught in two different situations about India-Pakistan so in that way they are alike, but nothing else.

The director of Bangistan used to be a film critic. And he has always voiced his dissent at the kind of films you have done throughout your career. When your director shows contempt for the kind of films you have done, how do you relate to him?

That's a very interesting question. For many years, I'd stopped reading reviews. So when I was told Karan Anshuman was directing, I was like Okay.' I don't hold it against anyone if they dont like any film of mine. I am like you didn't like the film, everyone's choice is different, so it's okay.' During a conversation much later, I mentioned to him that I had not read any reviews and at the time Grand Masti had released and Genelia told me he reviewed it. Karan said, "Read my review, I have in fact praised Grand Masti". That's the time I read the review.

He had praised it?

Yes, he had praised Grand Masti. More than anything, what I like about Karan or any director for that matter is when they narrate the film with a conviction. And it's important how much a director understands cinema. I go with that feeling. And when Karan narrated it, it was wonderful. I didn't know and I am not against any director who has had a flop film, no film, successful film...

As a hero, do you find attitude towards you changing after recent successes?

Whose attitude?

The film industry, in terms of the films that are being offered to you?

Yes. For sure. The films that have been offered to me now are different. Also, there are certain roles that people thought I would have done earlier, I like the fact that they now say, "Nahi, nahi... Riteish yeh role nahi karega". In a way I'm glad they have decided to not approach me with certain kinds of roles.

You refused Kya Kool sequel because you consciously wanted to move away from that genre, but you are doing Grand Masti 2 due to the emotional pressure from Indra Kumar. True?

I didn't do Kya Kool... 3 because I wasn't doing any adult comedies. Let me just say that I am doing GM2 only for Indra Kumar. The only multi-starrer that I am doing right now are Great Grand Masti and Housefull 3.

You've emerged as a star in your own right now. Does it then become difficult to do films like Housefull 3 where you are sharing attention?

No. I am doing Housefull 3 because it's my franchise. I feel it's my film and I have grown with it, my career has grown with it and above all it has Akshay Kumar, Abhishek Bachchan, so I am working with my friends. There is no competition in terms of, there will never be a time when I am trying to do outdo Akshay or he is trying to outdo Abhishek. Everyone is comfortable and confident about their space.

One hears that now you are rather firm on the choice of heroine opposite you. She has to be of a certain stature. Is that correct?

No, no, not at all. I have never ever got into the casting of a heroine.

Has this change in your stance of doing a certain kind of cinema happened because of fatherhood?

In a way, yes. Marriage and fatherhood are two big life changing things. When you are single, your responsibility is for the day or for the week. When you become a husband then you start planning for the next one year or two years. But when you become a father, your life view suddenly shoots up and extends to the next ten or next fifteen years. And it's great because I am looking forward to this responsibility.

Lai Bhaari has also given you a lot of responsibility towards Marathi cinema. One hears that you are getting the entire Marathi industry under your wings now.

Lai Bhaari was an attempt to do something more commercial within Marathi space and I'm glad it was received the way it was, and I think I am trying to just be a small contributor in this big wheel.

But suddenly, everyone is looking at you as the new hope of Marathi cinema.

I know I think it's their bigness (sic) to look at me that way, and I will always try to live upto that. But there have been, and there are legends in Marathi cinema right now, who are doing their best and everyone is contributing towards success of the industry. There are so many advantages in Marathi cinema with regard to the kind of films you can make within limited budget and appreciation that you look forward to because those cinemas won't be even attempted in the Hindi formats, unfortunately. Marathi cinema is the second choice in the State of Maharashtra, the first choice is always Hindi and we are struggling but hoping that changes. There are a lot of things happening. Hopefully, there is some film that will come and break the '50 crore barrier. We have just broken 40. Hopefully 50 and 60, and Marathi cinema becomes stronger.

Lastly, most actors shield their children from the media. You have set a trend by coming out in the public with the baby pictures on social media. What was the thought behind that?

I wanted him to be part of my father's birthday. It was my father's 70th birth anniversary, and it coincided with Riaan's six months, so we wanted to make that day special. Also, we have travelled with him and are going to travel in the future too. So why all the hiding and telling people, Don't click pictures'? It's pointless. Especially, in this day of mobile phones, everyone is a paparazzi. So, we decided to put his pics out there and now I am not bothered. Whoever wants to click can click, but that was a special day and we wanted to make it extra special.

Published Date:  Jul 14, 2015

Copyright restricted. For reprint rights click here

http://epaper.dnaindia.com/story.aspx?id=80619&boxid=35311&ed_date=2015-07-14&ed_code=820004&ed_page=1

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Swetha-Sai thumbnail
^ Lovely interview by Riteish D! :D
Tfs! :)   
hamzanuha thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
TFS. Nice interview ðŸ˜Š
zaniax thumbnail
Nice interview..Ritesh is one of my fav in BW.