Kaya OS: One Night at the Office

paradigm thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago

Riots had broken out in Mumbai. The entire KKN team was working round the clock to provide authentic and sensitive coverage of the issue. Ananya's sensitive nature was having a hard time seeing the horrors around. With all the pressures of work Kabir was unable to support her as much as he'd have liked.

It was 9.30 pm at the KKN office. Kabir had been reviewing the raw footage that had been deemed too provocative to be aired. By the time he got through reviewing the footage curfew had already been imposed. He knew it was going to be a night in the office for him.

He went to the pantry to get something to eat. Suddenly he heard a noise. It sounded like someone sobbing. He turned around to see Ananya sitting on the ground her face burrowed in her knees. He went over to her and placed his hand on her shoulder.  She looked startled and bewildered. But as she realized it was Kabir, she clung on to him and began weeping.

He held her closely and tried calming her down.

Kabir: Bad day on the field?

Ananya: Kabir I cant imagine what we are seeing on a day-to-day basis is the reality. Human beings are running around like blood-thirsty hounds. People are killing each other as if it's child's play.

I can't take it. I just can't. I know we are supposed to be objective and neutral. But I can't..

Kabir: Events like riots often bring out the worst in humanity. But they also bring out the best, Remember the couple we met yesterday. The one that's sheltering the orphan putting their own life at risk?

Ananya nodded.

Kabir: I know it's hard. But media gives us the power to show the world a true reflection of events and hope and prey that people understand the mistake of her ways.

Ananya: But Kabir... I don't think I can ever become a good journalist. I get emotionally vested and ...

Kabir : You can channelize your innate empathy and making it your biggest strength. Now, please don't cry any more...

Have you eaten anything all day? No? Ananya you aren't a baby!  Especially while working on the field you HAVE to eat properly!

Ananya: Kabir, I don't think I can...

Kabir: I am not giving you an option.

After coaxing her to eat a decent meal, he insisted that she get some sleep.

Kabir: Let's go to my office. The couch is quite comfortable.

Ananya (teasingly): How do you know? Do you sleep here quite often?

Kabir replied in a matter-of-fact way.

Yes I do!

Ananya: Kabir if you don't mind why are you so ill at ease in your own home? It's such a lovely apartment but you...

Kabir: It is a lovely apartment. But it isn't home.

Ananya: Kabir...

Kabir: Ananya don't worry about me. I know I have promised to open up about my past to you. But I still need more time.

Ananya: You have all the time in the world. This friendship is for life.

Ananya lay down on the couch while Kabir sat next to her. Though she fell asleep she was restless. He could guess that the images from the day were haunting her. Slowly he placed his hand on her shoulder and he could feel her becoming less tense. In her sleep she held onto his hands and went back to a sound sleep.

Kabir (thinks): I have lost many things in my life. But I will never let anything touch you or your innocence or out friendship.

Next morning Kabir woke up startled by the sound of conversation. They had overslept and people had come into office. Malika was fuming at him. Khalid looked worried. Ananya's gang looked concerned.

Kabir: Good morning everyone!

He gently woke Ananya up.

Kabir: Ananya wake up! I hope you slept well.

Ananya looked a bit startled with everyone staring at them. Kabir tried to diffuse the tension in the air.

Khalid and Malvika called Kabir for a chat in the conference room.

Malvika: Kabir, what are you up to?

Kabir: What am I up to? Ananya and I had stayed back in office after the curfew time. She was completely broken and...

Malvika: Kabir, it's going to raise questions on your character and hers...

Kabir finally began understanding what Malika was saying,

Kabir: How dare you?

Malvika: Come on Kabir. Everyone can see what you have been up to. Kabir lots of women would gladly sleep with you. You don't need to woo a junior into such a relationship...

Khalid: Plus Ananya doesn't seem like the kind who'd take a casual fling well. She is just too invested in emotions.

Kabir: You don't need to tell me who Ananya is. I know her better than all of you. Malvika, Khalid how long have you known me? A year? And yet you choose to only believe the stories you had hear about me.

Contrary to veeryone's beliefs I am not interested in casual relationships, least of all with Ananya. She is the only serious and genuine relationship in my life! The only one who understands me, cares for me and accepts me.

Malvika: If you are really that concerned for her, you need to start maintaining a distance from her. People are already gossiping...

Kabir: Thanks for the advice Malvika. But that's for me and Ananya to decide. But knowing her she won't let random gossip her. My Ananya will always prioritize our friendship over everything else.

Saying this he stormed,

Khalid smiled to himself.

Khlaid (thinks): Kabir Sharma you may not admit it. But you are head over heels in love with Ms. Kashyap. I am glad my Raj has founf his Simran. I will be the Anupam Kher in your relationship and protect it from all the Amrish Puris

He looked at Malvika and smirked.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Zannat18 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Loved it 😳
You wrote it beautifully 👏
Please write more 😉
TurnThePage thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Wow we have the whole DDLJ cast in KKN 🤣

Great OS!! 👍🏼
ssss97 thumbnail
Lovey . I just love khalid here. Loved the Raj n simran line a lot.
Please do continue to write u write very well
Sagi97 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
It was great. You know Di,'I had always dreamt about this situation. 
The situation which is quite possible with the profession.
And the outcome is quite but natural.

Thanks for the OS
InkAndFable thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
Great work.
Awesome writing skills.
Fabulous..
Khalid was amazing.
I was Laughing out loud.
😆
🤣
Lavi_dovey thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
fantastic piece...
really sweet and little emotional too.
aww...
kabir was really protective for ananya.
and cherry on the cake was KHALID.
he was amazing. anupam kher... 😃
loved it.
plz pm me when u write more
yoginisahakari thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Wow
Love and prayer
Yogini
Shweta13 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Tooo cute of the last part 👍🏼
Gouri_Joshi thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Awesome dear
This was too good 
" Khlaid (thinks): Kabir Sharma you may not admit it. But you are head over heels in love with Ms. Kashyap. I am glad my Raj has founf his Simran. I will be the Anupam Kher in your relationship and protect it from all the Amrish Puri "