Views

Users

Frequent Posters

aries_sakshi thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Farewell Siddhanth

Saumit Singh
Tuesday, November 08, 2005  20:14 IST

It's the end of a dream debut season for Siddhanth which bagged the best serial award (drama) at the Indian Television Academy Awards this season. But Pawan 'Siddhanth' Shankar says he has no immediate plans to jump into any new project. "I'm going to take a 15 day break first and just enjoy myself." On the beaches of Goa? "Not really," he laughs, "I'll just be spending some time with my family."

But why take the serial off the air when it was going great guns? "  Star One has taken a conscious decision to follow a season schedule which allows enough time to get a good team and script together. This makes more sense than just dragging on with 'chalu' work. The show will be back in a revamped avatar," assures the actor, whose brooding looks and impeccable Hindi have won him a considerable fan following. In fact, he's been invited by the Hindustani Prachar Sabha to deliver a lecture on Hindi next month. "It's truly an honour to be invited to share the platform with someone like Hasan Kamal," says Pawan, who incidentally, is a gold medalist from Allahabad University.

Life is looking up for Pawan, a qualified MBA, who quit his job at Essar Cellphones in Delhi to try his luck in Mumbai. He has recently modelled with childhood idol and fellow Allahabadi Amitabh Bachchan for a Reid and Taylor commercial. He is also in a position to now choose the roles he wants to play. "It has to be something different from the character I play in 'Siddhanth'. I'm even open to grey roles. I had been offered a part in 'Virasat' but it was a black character.  I was not ready for it at such an early stage in my career. It was a big film, and I sometimes wonder if I made a mistake."

Currently considering four projects, the actor says his first preference would be to Star Plus serials. But he's open to offers from other channels as well. "I'm not bound by any contract, but I guess it's a sense of loyalty. Like, I share a great bond with BAG Films' Anuradha Prasad and MP Rajeev Shukla, the producers of 'Siddhanth', who believed in me despite me being a newcomer."

aries_sakshi thumbnail
Scare series on small screen
BE AFRAID: Rajesh Tandon and Rajeshwari in Total Dhamaal, the first story of Darna Mana Hai

It's the mother of all screen switches. In a first of its kind for Indian viewership, a TV series is being inspired by a feature film. The bizarre Ram Gopal Varma 2004 production Darna Mana Hai, starring everyone from Sameera Reddy and Vivek Oberoi to Saif Ali Khan and Shilpa Shetty, has sparked a new series on the small screen.

To air on STAR One from next Monday, the new TV series, also called Darna Mana Hai, will feature a gripping new horror story every week, beginning on Monday and climaxing on Thursday, at 10 pm.

Interestingly, the entire series is being produced by K Sera Sera, the same team that co-produced the six-episode film along with Varma's Factory.

"We want to spread the brand called Darna," Kacon Sethi, CEO of K Sera Sera, tells Metro. "We started with the big screen and will now move on to television, then the broadband and finally wireless."

So what exactly is Brand Darna? "Darna is the philosophy of fear," explains Sethi. "Day-to-day fear is something which is bigger than any scare. That's what we are trying to show through all the episodes. We are also making the sequel to the film, called Darna Zaroori Hai."

While Darna Zaroori Hai has some of the biggest names in the TV and film industry — Ram Gopal Varma himself, Prawaal Raman (who directed all the six episodes of the first film), actor-turned-director Sajid Khan — directing the six episodes, the TV series too has known names calling the shots.

Everybody from Saurabh Shukla to Sourabh Narang (Vaastu Shastra) to Rajat Mukherjee (Road) will be directing the four-episode stories of Darna Mana Hai.

STAR One hopes that Darna Mana Hai will cash in on the prime-time popularity of the channel with hit shows like Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai, The Great Indian Comedy Show, Remix and the recent rage Nach Baliye.

Says Sameer Nair, COO of STAR TV: "The two new shows, along with India Calling, will be woven into the exciting line-up of programmes that will make prime-time viewing a whole new experience."

The series will kickstart with a story called Total Dhamaal. Directed by Sourabh Narang, it delves into the fear within parents Radhika (Rajeshwari Sachdev) and Mohit (Rajesh Tandon) when seven-year-old son Yash is ready to jump from their seventh-floor apartment under the influence of a friend.

ashiandyuvirock thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Remix, with new avatars

Remix, the hip show on Star One has entered its new season with fresh faces. Catch up on who they are, and what they are here for…

The new season of this High School Drama, that takes us back to the blissful days of school life, makes way for some new characters to add more life in their already happening life.

Character: Shyla Oberoi
Profile: She is as hoity-toity as Tia Ahuja. Definitely a prospective rival for Tia, especially, when she sets her eyes on Ranvir!

Character: Raghu Deshpande
Profile: He is a scholarship kid who hates everything about the rich. He hates the elite gang in the college, and wants to get back at them, for just being rich.

Character: Professor Debashish Mitra
Profile: He has no time for the scholarship students and believes that the elite class should not mingle with the 'lower' class. Manav Gohil, with a complete new look, will play this character.

Professor Mitra goes all out to make life hell for the scholarship students at Maurya High College. To catch the excitement brought about by these new characters keep watching Remix on your favourite entertainment channel Star One.

The end of Siddhanth

One of the most popular serials on STAR One, Siddhanth ends today.

It's no longer news that Siddhanth, the popular show on STAR One will soon be coming to an end. In this week's grand finale, Siddhanth proposes marriage to Anamika. Though Anamika is doubtful about her decision, she accepts his proposal. On the other hand, Navya expresses her love for Siddhanth, but he does not reciprocate her feelings.

There is a rumor about Sanjay Chauhan being given a death sentence for killing an old woman. The whole country is for the death sentence including Arekar and his firm. However, to everyone's disbelief, Siddhanth decides to fight for Sanjay Chauhan.

Anamika is shocked and advises Siddhant not to take up the case. Arekar is livid with Siddhanth for playing havoc in Anamika's life. With the whole firm against him, Siddhanth is compelled to leave the firm.

Siddhanth is now all alone in his race against time to save Sanjay's life. In his bid to save Sanjay, Siddhanth fails to reach his wedding venue in time. In a rage of anger, Anamika returns her engagement ring.

Will Siddhanth's decision be right this time or will he pay for it, both professionally and personally?

Don't forget to tune in tonight for the Grand Finale!
The Diwali that was

With the spirit of festivity all over, indya.com spoke to some of the Nach Baliye couples and asked them how they celebrated their Diwali.

For the couple who have been married for more than two decades, Sachin and Supriya, the celebrations were like any other Maharashtrian family. The day started with traditional Laxmi pooja, which was followed by distributing gifts amongst family, friends, under-privileged and those who have been serving them. However, the couple is strictly against bursting crackers, as it not only gives rise to noise pollution but it also leads to increased child labour.

Apoorva-Shilpa and Archana-Parmeet had a joyous Diwali as they celebrated the festival by playing cards and bursting crackers, together. For them Diwali was all about having fun and being safe.

The "very much in love couple" - Neeru and Amit - celebrated the festival by going on a binge, eating a variety of sweets and a lavish meal, they enjoyed every bit of the festival. Apart from having fun, they also spent some time distributing goodies amongst the not-so-privileged section of the society.

For Maninee and Mihir, this Diwali was filled with excitement, as they were busy looking out for a bigger house. Maninee, in a spirit of Diwali good wishes, gave a message to all her fans: "This Diwali, go wild and crazy. Burst crackers and spread light. Let the light cheer your spirits and not dampen it."

When we spoke to Poonam and Manish, they sounded excited as their child turns a year old this Diwali. This year, they have one more reason to celebrate as they have shifted to a new house. Poonam's Diwali message to all her fans: "Don't burst crackers, they lead to pollution. Have the auspicious Laxmi pooja, so that goddess Laxmi showers her blessings over you."

Just as these couples enjoyed the festival of glitter and shine, we hope all our readers had a happy and a safe Diwali and a prosperous New Year.
aries_sakshi thumbnail

Out with the old, in with the new
(Posted on 16 November 2005)

Star One has suddenly become a happening channel. Nach Baliye continues to do the dance of the damn cool. The TV stars have never looked or danced better.

The Great Indian Laughter Challenge and now Nach Baliye have turned around the fortunes of Star's newest channel. The ratings on Star One are attractive, and now the channel in collaboration with the irrepressible Ekta Kapoor, is hell-bent on swarming the fledgling channel with goodies.

The first one to benefit from this season of harvest on Star One is Amarr Upadhyay. He's been finalised to play the lead — the role of a singer — in Balaji Telefilms' Krimson Sky.

"It's a very young very hip very now serial, and I'm very excited about it," says Amarr who's also been finalised to be in Ravi Chopra's Virasat, which goes on air on Star Plus after Kaun Banega Crorepati ends its current innings.

Says Amarr, "It's been a long haul for me. I started on TV, got my fame on Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, then tried my hand at films. Now I'm back. I realise television is where I belong. I made wrong decisions about my career because of lack of guidance. Now I want to build on my career on television."

Amarr started his second innings on television with a brief appearances on Ekta Kapoor's Kasauti Zindagi Kay and Kkusum. Krimson Sky will be his real comeback vehicle on television.

Star One has several new serials coming up. Says Star India COO Samir Nair, "Ekta is doing a number of new serials for Star One. Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka is a Cinderella–like daily. Then there's Karbon Kopy, which will be on the lines of X Files."

But right now it's Star One's two new shows that have me all keyed. India Calling treads the same territory as Star Plus' Shanno Ki Shaadi. Full-blooded lassi-and-paratha tale with a blithe-spirited Punjabi ambience that seeps into the very core of the characters.

The first episode had the whole cast flying kites with the boisterous matriarch (Himani Shivpuri) leading the 'brag' pack. This joyous event was followed by a sagaai where the characters danced so hard you wondered when tragedy would fall on the proceedings. Sure enough the bride of the wedding decided to play truant.

"I'm not coming," she announces to her horrified sister who tried hard to look… er, horrified. And succeeded only partially.

The problem with these serials is they try to cast a smell…. and I don't mean spell. The aroma of the sarso kA khet just spreads across the horizon. Take it or leave it

aries_sakshi thumbnail
Nach Baliye gets its share of trouble

Mihir and Maninee Misra were the third couple to get ousted from the show Nach Baliye on Star One. We all saw how their choreographer Darren Das commented on Malaika Arora Khan's judgement and how upset he was with the points given to Rajeshwari and Varun Badola when compared to his couple's points.

Well, there is more to the story. Apparently, Darren had a major showdown with Malaika where he criticised her judging abilities and the way she was allotting points to couples whose performances were not up to the mark. Saroj Khan jumped to Malaika's defence and this led to a big fight between the judges and Darren. All this was chopped on the editing table before screening the episode. Seems like Nach Baliye's cup of controversies runneth over
aries_sakshi thumbnail
Major fire averted in Rajesh's home on Diwali

The festival of lights could have spelled doom for Rajesh Kumar, who plays Rosesh in Star One's Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai. Apparently, Rajesh and his wife Madhvi Chopra had gone for dinner to a restaurant, leaving the diyas burning inside their house. A gush of wind caused the curtains to fall on the diyas leading to the curtains catching fire. Thankfully, a neighbour saw smoke coming out of the house and alerted the maidservant who possessed the house keys. This averted a major fire that could have proven to be disastrous for the talented actor.
aries_sakshi thumbnail
New kids on the block

Sohan Master and Rujuta Shah enter Remix as new students at Maurya High

Sapana Patil

Looks like Star One's campus drama Remix is having its cast remixed. Manav Gohil, who is slated to play the stern professor Mitra will enter the soap on Monday. And accompanying him are two new students, played by Sohan Master and Rujuta Shah.

Master says, "I play a character called Raghuram Deshpande. He enters Maurya High but finds it difficult to mingle with his classmates because of the inferiority complex he nurses, owing to a low social class. He is as good a student as the rest are but he can't handle the cool dudes of the college with their long hair."

Talking about his looks and style on the show he says, "I will appear a simpleton. But Shrishti (Arya, the producer of the show) wants me to speak in a typical Maharashtrian accent, which I am trying to adopt."

"The story then develops to show him forming a gang against Ranvir, Tia, and the others. He picks fights with them, and this will then portray his negative side," he continues.

Surprisingly, Master had participated in Zee Cinestars Ki Khoj. "People used to recognise me then. Now with my entry into Remix I hope to be noticed again. I have been told that my character is very strong, I hope to perform well," he says.

Master can currently be seen on Zee's Paalkhi as Jimit and will also act in Asha Parekh's Akhanda Saubhagyavati. He will enter Remix after a few weeks.

The other actor who is slated to make an entry on the show is Rujuta Shah, who has also made a few serials earlier. She says, "I play Shyla Seth. She is a combination of beauty, brains and attitude. My opening scene will create a boom on the show. My entry will make the boys go gaga over me. In the coming days, I will start liking Ranvir and this creates a rift between Ranvir and Tia. I will be shown to be good to others but rude to Tia. That will reflect my negative side. As for the way I am to look – very hip."

Shrishti Arya summarises the track saying, "The new term has just begun at Maurya High. So we have these students coming in. We have conducted extensive auditions for these characters. Raghuram Deshpande is a scholarship student and Shyla Seth is the rich girl." Can't wait to get back to school…
aries_sakshi thumbnail
Star to seriously think about regional strategy in India
(Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 - 07:00 pm)
Televisionpoint.com Team
In an interview to Media Partners Asia (MPA), Star Group CEO Michelle Guthrie said the company needed "to seriously think about a regional strategy in India ... we are looking at strategies based around our existing content."

Talking specific of some channels within the Star bouquet, she said that Star One, a general entertainment chanrnel targeted at younger audiences is "starting to work and build on the leadership position we have with Star Plus, but it still has a long way to go". Star One is beginning to challenge rivals Zee TV and Sony in terms of audience share, and in certain metros, has surpassed both, she said.

Driven by the success of shows such as "The Great Indian Laughter Challenge", Star One has grown its market share from 7 per cent in 2004 to 27 per cent in Q3 2005, versus 42 per cent for Sony and 31 per cent for Zee. The channel aims to overtake both Sony and Zee by end-2005, she said.

As for Star Gold, Guthrie said that the channel was "gaining strength in India" with the shifting of Hindi movies from Plus to Gold, resulting in re-branding of the channel as a destination for premium Hindi films.

But, Guthrie said, Star is a bit "wary about the lack of advertising in the regional markets (in India)" as pricing power is limited and the overall pie remains small. "We are still constrained by the fact that TV ad spend (in India) is only 0.20 per cent of GDP," she explained. We're still constrained by the fact that TV ad spend (in India) is only 0.20 per cent of GDP," she explained.

Though Guthrie said that there "should be at least some level of exclusivity, otherwise it (would) seriously distort the market for programming" when asked about the must-provide clause in India, she also indicated negotiations have been going on with Dish TV, 20 per cent owned by Zee Telefilms, for providing Star's channels.

"We've been negotiating with Dish TV for a long time. The issue is not about first mover advantage (in other words, we sign an agreement for our channels only when Tata Sky launches), but more about our concerns over their conditional access and subscriber management systems and piracy," Guthrie said.

As already reported by Televisionpoint.com, Star Group's turnover during Q1 FY 2006 ending September grew by 22 per cent year-on-year (y-o-y), driven primarily by advertising revenue of Kaun Banega Crorepati-2 in Star Plus.

According to Hong Kongbased publishing and research firm Media Partners Asia's estimates for Q1 FY 2006 showed that Star India turnover could grow by 26 per cent y-o-y to $378 million.