Views

Users

Frequent Posters

aparnauma thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 8 years ago

Originally posted by: blushing

😳😳

Song was Cheeey on icing ... Suhag raat hain ghoongat utha raha hunn main ...

I saw the promo - It was that song Kabhie kabhie mere dil mein😆
Muktchand thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Yah same song Aparna ...kabhi kabhi mere dil khayal aata hain

I wrote antara ... Anyways hilirious promo ... Bharti is mad so us her dreams
aparnauma thumbnail
When my bhabhi turned into a 'naagin'

My relationship with television has evolved over the years. As a young girl, I grew on a balanced diet of Ekta Kapoor fare and watched in rapt attention as Prerna yo-yoed between Mr. Bajaj (I don't think anyone called him by his first name) and Anurag.

Anurag, on the other hand, was doing a round robin of his own, marrying and sleeping eventually with all his four wives, but evidently remaining in love with Prerna. But I am going on a tangent here. After a dangerously co dependant relationship with television that lasted almost a decade, I decided that it was time to say, "We are on a break!!!"

However, like the proverbial bad boy or that last slice of chocolate cake, the yards of shimmering chiffons and the trails of blow dried hair that stays in place through a day of cooking and sasuma sycophancy got the better of my resistance. I started flipping television channels again and lo behold I found myself in familiar comforting territory. Like Vladimir and Estragon, the poor characters who keep waiting for Godot, nothing seems to have really changed for the women in television. I saw the soothing streaks of sindoor (vermillion), the joyful sadism of the dark women, the blinding glitter of unrealistic homes and the willing suspension of creativity of the costume and production design teams. But what really caught my idle eyes was the sudden interest in animals and to quote JK Rowling animaguses on Indian TV. Particularly intriguing was the saga of the reptilian sister in law on the delightfully over the top 'Sasural Simar Ka'.

I must admit I had watched with great interest how Simar and her precious pet Roli broke down a wall to rescue their family, overcame a ravan-esque character, battled a ghost, and have basically decided that the world revolves around the Bharadwaj parivar (family). Its only befitting that the bahus of a halwai family are so one dimensionally ideal that they make a box of pedhas (sweets) seem interesting. Suddenly I was intrigued. After her unceremonious exit from Bidaai, the tale of, wait for it, two sisters, Sara Khan was going on about some red door in what can be best described as Sridevi's hand-me-downs from Chandni. How no one has seen this door in their house before is a question I am putting all my energy into not asking.

Anyhow, Sara slytherines, as it turns out is actually a snake!!! An Ichadhari dhari nagin to be more specific, the creation of a fertile patriarchal mind. The brief is pretty simple. An Ichadhari nagin, can take any form she wants as per her icha (wish). However, like the lady helpfully hisses, she is incomplete without her husband. In true ichadhaari nagin tradition she has come to take revenge for the death of her husband and is scheming to kill Roli's cradle snatching husband Siddhant. I watched both amused and spell bound, as the two women debated on whether the Bharadwaj parivar would rise like the ripped men of 300 to save Roli's pati.😆

It's interesting how we have over several decades we have projected human insecurities and compulsions on our friends with fangs. There was an entire soap on snake family politics called 'Naggin, Vaadon ki agni pariksha', where the otherwise attractive Sayantani Ghosh played a Nagin torn between her promise of revenge, and the love she has for her human husband. No Male Nags (snakes) are ever shown pining for their cold blooded counterparts. As if one far-fetched reptilian saga wasn't enough, I had the joy of watching of a promo for an upcoming show on Colours, called, wait for it... NAGIN. Wow! Really? Nagin, again? I am sure there is a manual now on Nagin related stories. Words to be used- Intekaam (revenge), Ishq (love), gaatha (tale), kahaani (story), dastaan (epic), Mera Nag (my snake). SIGHisss !

Over several television programs across the entire GEC spectrum, we have seen supposedly 'strong' female characters build their lives around their husbands. Irritatingly eligible, they aspire for nothing more than a certificate of domestic proficiency. They never pause to see if there was something more they wanted from life apart from planning the next halwa (sweets) eating seminar.

A woman's fate as the show on Zee helpfully explains is linked to her kumkum (vermillion), in other words her marriage and husband. Without him she has no identity or personality of her own, nor does she feel the need for one. When humans have no sense of self can the snakes be far behind? I didn't know whether to laugh out loud or cry in despair as Sara Khan went on about how her husband was the purpose of her existence. But what about your own life woman? If you are creating a part fantasy character, why not spare her the stereotypical sob song of oedipal mothers and spineless husbands?

I never did end up seeing what finally happened to the Snake vs Simar + Bharadwaj family saga. Or how they got her out of their syrupy home back into her snake pit. It saddens me to see that after all these years, like poor Sisyphus rolling that stone up and down the hill, women on television seem to be stuck in kitchen battle grounds and living room politics. Colours is still barbequing kids for a cannibalistic audience. Chakor suffers to get an education, Anandi's daughter is a suffering child-bride, Swaragini has a (you don't say!!) combination of a seeta aur geeta sister pair, where the one with vocal chords gets to wear western clothes and actually dares to have an opinion. Ram Kapoor is still fat and devoted, while Sony is seeking an 'epic' intervention by resurrecting Hanuman and Karan from the ever reliable Ramayan and Mahabharat.

The only glimmer of hope seems to be a new show coming up on Star where the heroine blasphemously declares that she does not want to get married, but instead spend some time finding her own identity instead. Kya Kya Kya??? Can this really be possible? Or will be tricked into watching yet another love story of a girl leaning in to a love story with her masochistic boss? Well we can wait and watch. Or not. Watch, or not. Sigh... Where is the remote?

[This is Part-2 of a series of articles that has a funny take on the current state of affairs of Indian Television. The author's opinion are her own. Liked this article? Read: No Sex in the City - the crisis of consummation in Indian TV. Share your opinion in the comments section below]
MaxMayfield thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
^^ 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
there would be a manual for nagin stories..OMG! LMAOOO!
MaxMayfield thumbnail

Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 8: Sanaya Irani, Vivian DSena, Radhika Madan, Raftaar - Final list of contestants

After weeks and months of speculation, we finally have the full list of contestants

Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa the desi version of Dancing with the Stars is finally going on air this July. Several names were floating in the media circuit and now we finally have their names. Here's a list of all the final 12 contestants of JDJ season 8...

Sanaya Irani: A well known television star from telly land. Sanaya was part of the reality show for the last two seasons. She came in as Ashish Sharma and Drashti Dhami's supporter. She was even part of the show as the host in one season. Colors has been trying to get Sanaya on board for the longest time and finally it has happened this year

Ashish Chowdhry: From doing multi-starrer films, Ashish jumped television two years ago and it was a phenomenal success for the actor. Early 2015, the actor was seen in Khatron Ke Khiladi where he walked away with the trophy. Ever since Ashish has been the channel's favourite boy and in order to continue the streak they roped him again for their reality show - JDJ. Guess if not dancing the actor will keep us entertained with his comic timing

Vivian DSena: After Madhubala Ek Ishq Ek Junoon, Vivian has been completely off the radar and spending quality time with his family and wife. While Vivian claims that he is no dancer, there's one thing that no one can beat him at and that it commitment. The actor knows to work hard and that's his aim on the dancing show.

Kavita Kaushik: Playing Chandramukhi Chautala in Sab TV's popular show FIR put her on the map. She's done several other roles in daily soaps, but none have come close to FIR. Kavita is great with comedy, however, not much is known about her dancing skills.

Subhreet: She is a little wonder and can give all these television star a run for their money. She was seen on India's Got Talent as a contestant. Subhreet is star wonder who can do the most difficult of step with just one foot. Her courage and talent is boundless and will definitely prove as a tough competitor.

Radhika Madan: Dancing is her first passion and then comes acting. On show wonder Radhika is the lead actress of Meri Aashiqui Tum Se Hi opposite Arjun Bijlani and Shakti Arora. Radhika is pretty, graceful and like we told you a dancer in her own right.

Deepika Samson: Again a popular Colors show's lead actress. We wonder how the actress will manage her daily soap Sasural Simar Ka and the dance reality show. Being the child of Colors, we are the actress has worked out something out with the makers of her show. From what we hear, Deepika has some experience with dancing; maybe this show will help her learn some new forms.

Raftaar: This is the first time Raftaar is doing something that doesn't involve rapping. From the looks of the promo, there's one thing for sure, he's a man of many talents. With Raftaar in the show, we are sure Manish Paul will definitely not have any trouble keeping everyone entertained.

Mohit MalikThe actor quit his daily soap to be a part of Jhalak. After playing a boy next door, Mohit played a negative character in Doli Armaano Ki and trust us when we say, wowed everyone with his performance. This will be the first time we'll get to see the dancer side of Mohit

Faisal Khan: This little star is a self made celebrity. He started off with Dance India Dance Li'l Masters, where he walked away with the prestigious award. Then for over a year or two, Faisal played the character of Maharana Pratap. And now he is back what he loves doing the most- dancing. Will he walk away with the trophy again? Who knows

Scarlett Wilson: Now this is going to be tough to compete with. She has been dancing since the age of one from what we hear. Scarlett is trained is jazz and ballet and was last seen on Dare 2 Dance. Scarlett has assisted Bosco-Ceaser in several films too.

Muktchand thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
all Actors ...thet shd have choose some other profession people

anyways who will add as Wild card...
MaxMayfield thumbnail

Originally posted by: blushing

all Actors ...thet shd have choose some other profession people

anyways who will add as Wild card...

yeah its an all actors club this time!🤔 its still better than last time, where there were like really blaah performances and boring everything for most part😕 literally dint know who to support..not even shakti aashish was more deserving than the winners of all previous seasons..but still what a waste of a season last one!

VD ka promo I saw😆 he is better than gurmeet ("I THINK") in dance😆😆😆 but still very robotic

deepika literally looks uncomfortable I dono..cannot picture her like this at all😕😆 

and who is this ballet dancer? she might be one awesome dancer too!
MaxMayfield thumbnail
 🤣 sorry I just read, upen-karishma's jodi name is UPMA!🤣🤣🤣
Thats staple food in breakfast for some people mahn, like me😆😆
Mithi_vani thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
JDJ...well My only interest in Faisu😳... Aww he is one of the best dancer... Love him from DID days❤️... I will watch only for him...  all other contestant 🥱🥱...
aparnauma thumbnail

Originally posted by: Hiral_Halwa

yeah its an all actors club this time!🤔 its still better than last time, where there were like really blaah performances and boring everything for most part😕 literally dint know who to support..not even shakti aashish was more deserving than the winners of all previous seasons..but still what a waste of a season last one!

VD ka promo I saw😆 he is better than gurmeet ("I THINK") in dance😆😆😆 but still very robotic

deepika literally looks uncomfortable I dono..cannot picture her like this at all😕😆 

and who is this ballet dancer? she might be one awesome dancer too!

Some 11 names are included here.
The others Sargun, Shamita that makes 13
Two more names are yet to be confirmed I guess.