~*|| Happy Birthday Satyajit Ray - The Versatile Genius ||*~

Sukanya_Datta thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 8 years ago

"Satyajit Ray, I salute you. The greatest of our poets of the cinema. "
~
Ben Kingsley

The day Satyajit Ray was born, the definition of cinema was rewritten in the history of Indian cinema. He is that man whose magic behind the camera has never failed to mesmerize our eyes with every shot, every light, every action and every film.
Satyajit Ray's films are those films, which touch our hearts and stay with us forever. Time has not been able to bring any difference in its appeal. His books, his characters, his sketches and Ray as a man has touched the hearts of not only Bengali's but people universally.
He is one magnificent man, a legend, whose works are timeless classic, and will always remain so. 2nd May, on his birth anniversary, let us all celebrate the birth of this legend, Satyajit Ray by taking a tour in his magical world...

Edited by Sukanya_Datta - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

CaptainSpark thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
undefined

"I think he (Ray) has it in his blood. Though he is very young still, he is the father of Indian cinema.''
~ Jean Renoir

undefined

Ray was born in a Bengali family in Calcutta on 2nd May, 1921. His ancestors were known to be involved in the world of Bengali art and literature. Ray's grandfather, Upendrakishore Roychoudhury was a writer. Ray's father, Sukumar Ray was also a writer, known to be the creator of heart winning characters like Pagladashu, Kumro Potash, HashJaru, Hukomukho Hyangla and Ram Gorurer Chhana. Sukumar Ray was pioneering writer of Bengali nonsense rhyme and humorous prause. Satyajit Ray is said to be greatly influenced by his father's nonsense verse and rhyme.
He studied in Ballygunge Government High School in Kolkata and completed his graduation from Presidency College. Since childhood, Ray's interest was in fine arts. During his stay in Shantiniketan he developed a liking for Oriental art. Painters like Nandalal Bose and Benode Behari Mukherjee inspired him to study more on art. He produced a documentary film on Benode Behari Mukherjee called "The Inner Eye". It is after watching the Vittorio De Sica's timeless Italian classic Bicycle Thieves, that Ray was more influenced in becoming a film maker. Later in his early career, Satyajit Ray worked in Signet Press, and came across "Aam Aatir Bhepu" by Bibhutibhushan Bandopadhyay, and was deeply influenced by the illustrations and used it as the substance of his first film. 
Satyajit Ray's struggle for becoming a film maker is less put light upon in most cases. Ray suffered immensely due to the lack of producers. While making his first directorial debut film, Pather Panchali,based on Bibhutibhushan Bandopadhyay's novel with the same name, Ray hardly had any money left. The producers were not willing to take risks to produce a film like Pather Panchali with no ailment of commercial cinema. After long and hard struggle, and support from West Bengali Government, Pather Panchaali was released. The verdict is known to us. Pather Panchaali became a classic and created history in the box office after its release. It is still one of the best films ever made in Indian Cinema. Ray received immense appreciation as the brilliant man behind the camera.

undefined

Edited by Brishti_Sarkar - 8 years ago
Sukanya_Datta thumbnail

"When I saw the footage of Pather Panchali in Calcutta in 1954 I was deeply impressed and recognised it as the work of a great filmmaker. My subsequent meeting with Ray was a high point of my visit to India. Everything he did and said supported my feelings upon viewing his film."
~
John Huston

"I have a fascination for Satyajit Ray's films. My first experience of them was Pather Panchali. I was so taken with it that I sketched many drawings inspired by it. The world of the Bengali villages stirred me. My 1986 exhibition, 'From Gitanjali to Pather Panchali', was my tribute to Ray's film."
~
  M.F. Husain

The making of Satyajit Ray's first film Pather Panchali, based on Bengali novel Pather Panchali which revolves around the life of a poor village boy, Apu is also like a story. We seldom notice the story behind the camera. Ray started shooting Pather Panchali in 1952 with mostly amateur cast. He started the work with his own funds hoping to earn more in future but was unsuccessful. He took three long years to complete shooting for Pather Panchali with the help of his production manager. Producers demanded him to make a happy ending of his film, but Ray insisted on the tragic end, but did not receive the money needed to complete the film. Finally, with help from West Bengal Government, Ray completed the film.
Satyajit Ray's films are heart-touching, with excellent visual treatment and fantastic cinematography. His scripts are near perfect. It is really hard to choose a few classics from his career, as Ray has woven nothing but gems on screen. 
The Apu Trilogy, consisting of three films, Pather Panchali, Aparajito and Apur Sansar revolves around the life of Apu, a young boy from a village in Bengal. We remember these films for the iconic train scene in Pather Panchali, Ray's fantastic cinematography and camera work, the beautiful background score and the heart touching feel. The three films are bound to stir your hearts and take you back to rural Bengal as you join the journey of Apu with laughs and cries
Satyajit Ray's city trilogy consists of films Jana Aranya, Seemabadhha and Pratidwandi. The treatment of the plot, the establishment of the characters and the truth of life, the symbolism is excellently depicted. These films do not need reviewing. They are bound to be listed in the best of films, timeless and heart touching. 
Satyajit Ray gifted us with films like Debi, Charulata, Ghare Baire etc. Charulata is considered Ray's best work by many. Not only did these films build of Ray's career but also became a turning point in the career of the actors who were a part of the cast like Madhabi Mukherjee (Charulata), Sharmila Tagore (Apur Sansar, Debi) etc. Most of Ray's films are in black and white. Ray successfully added colour to our lives and entertained us with his camera work in celluloid.

CaptainSpark thumbnail
undefined

''The quiet but deep observation, understanding and love of the human race, which are characteristic of all his films, have impressed
me greatly... I feel that he (Ray) is a giant' of the movie industry. Not to have seen the cinema of Ray means existing in the world without
seeing the sun or the moon.''
~ Akira Kurosawa

Satyajit Ray made two films on his own stories revolving around Feluda, the private investigator written for children. Ray's first film on Feluda was called Sonar Kella, based on Ray's novel of the same name. Sonar Kella received both critical and commercial acclaim. Ray's detective stories may not be considered among the best, but Feluda as a character has a wonderful appeal both in screen and in page. Sonar Kella revolved around a 6 year old young boy, Mukul who could recall his previous birth and was kidnapped as he spoke of hidden treasure. The rest of the story revolved around how Feluda brings Mukul home safe and solves the mystery of the kidnap.

Ray's villians, and other characters' portrayal on screen was exceptional. Sonar Kella and Joy Baba Felunath are considered the best Feluda films even today, after numerous more films made by Ray's son himself, because of Satyajit Ray's script, direction, and top acts from the cast. Scenes like Feluda riding the camel in Rajasthan, Feluda meeting Lalmohan Babu, and the climax have become iconic scenes in bengali Cinema.

After Sonar Kella, Ray made Joy Baba Felunath, which was another Feluda story based in Benaras. This one received as much as critical and commercial acclaim as Sonar Kella, and is remembered for the exceptional villian, Maganlal Meghraj and the iconic scenes of the knife-game, the climax, Feluda's meeting with Maganlal. With both films, Soumitra Chatterjee received great praise playing the role of Feluda, and Santosh Dutta, in the role of Lalmohan Ganguly made a huge difference.

Other than Feluda, Ray's film "Chiriakhana" was based on Saradindu Bandopadhay's story Chiriakhana which featured around sleuth Byomkesh Bakshi. Uttam Kumar played the role of Byomkesh in Satyajit Ray's Chiriakhana. Chiriakhana was successful in winning hearts too.
Ray's Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne films ie Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne and Hirak Rajar Deshe are considered among the best films made for children. GGBB was originally a story written by Upendrakishore Roychowdhury, Ray's grandfather. Hirak Rajar Deshe was his own story. Both the films created history in the box office and is still loved by both children and adults.

undefined

Sukanya_Datta thumbnail

"Apart from being one of the greatest filmmakers of our time, Ray is a most singular symbol of what is best and most revered in Indian cinema. I am proud that we, the Indian filmmakers of the present generation, are greatly indebted to Satyajit Ray for having taught us to look at the Indian reality in ways different and deeper than was ever attempted before. "
~
Adoor Gopalkrishnan

Other films of Satyajit Ray include classics like Nayak, Aranyer Din Ratri and Kapurush O Mahapurush. In the last days of his career, he made films like Agantuk, Shakha Prashakha and Ganashatru. Nayak revolves around the train journey of a filmstar played by Uttam Kumar also starring Sharmila Tagore. The iconic dream sequence of Nayak is very famous.

Apart from films, Ray worked on many documentaries. He made a documentary on his father Sukumar Ray later in his career. It is said that before shooting a sequence, Ray acted out the sequence himself to the actors and made them do exactly as he wanted, which resulted in perfection as we can see in screen today.
It is also said that Ray wrote the script for a sci-fi film, The Alien based on his own short story Bankubabur Bandhu, which in turn is said to have inspired Steven Spielberg's E.T . He also directed a Hindi film, Satranj ke Khiladi.
Satyajit Ray was a man of talents, and ideas, and other than films, his literary skills have also not failed to stir our hearts.

CaptainSpark thumbnail
undefined

"The work of Satyajit Ray presents a remarkably insightful understanding of the relations between cultures, and his ideas remain pertinent to the great cultural debates in the contemporary world, not least in India."
~Amartya Sen

"When I write an original story, I write about people I know first hand and situations I am familiar with. I don't write stories about the nineteenth century."

Satyajit Ray is the creator of Bengali's most loved characters. Ray's most famous character remains Pradosh C Mitter, better known as Feluda, a private investigator. Feluda's first story, Feludar Goendagiri was published in Sandesh in 1965. Feluda's stories are narrated by Topshe, his teenage cousin. Most of Feluda's adventures include Lalmohan Ganguly, better known as Jatayu, who brings in the humour in the stories.
     Lalmohan babu made his first appearance in Sonar Kella. The detective lives at 21, Rajani Sen Road in Kolkata. Satyajit Ray himself has made Feluda come alive on screen in his own direction in two films, Sonar Kella and Joy Baba Felunath starring renowned actor Soumitra Chatterjee as Feluda. His son Sandip Ray continues to make films on Feluda
Apart from Feluda, Ray's other famous famous character is Professor Trilokeshwar Shanku, a scientish. Shonku stories are mainly sci-fi adeventures. Ray has written numerous short stories, compiled in Ek Dojon Goppo, Aro ek Dojon etc. Tarini Khuru is another of his characters, appearing in many of his short stories.
Ray also wrote an autobiography, called Jokhon Chhoto Chhilam (When I was Young).
He is the author of books like Our Films Their Films, Bishoy Cholochhitro and Ekei Bole Shooting revolving around his interest in Western films, his shooting days and his interest in cinema.

Sukanya_Datta thumbnail

"
Whatever I imagined thousand times and dreamt, Satyajit Ray had laboured hard to make it neatly. A tremendous and overwhelming difference which places him on the throne of the creator of our new age. No one will ever be able to displace him from there."
~
Ritwik Ghatak

The exceptional man, Satyajit Ray was more than just a film maker. He was an author, a story teller, an illustrator, a musician, a calligrapher and publisher. During his early years, and also in his peak time, Ray was connected to the childrens' magazine Sandesh, in which many of his stories were published.

Apart from writing and direction, Ray was extremely fond of both Indian and Western music, which effected the fantastic background score in his films. The Pather Panchali theme by Pandit Ravi Shankar, and the Feluda theme is heaven to the ears.
Ray seems to be quite a serious man from his photos, but in reality, Ray was just one of us, and had an excellent sense of humour, reflecting in his stories.
He is the illustrator of his own stories too. His feluda sketches and Shonku sketches are extremely realistic.

Ray was fond of mostly everything creative. Remember the voice of Bhooter Raja, ie the King of Ghosts in Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne? Well, the dubbing was done by none other than Satyajit Ray himself.
During shooting, Ray made sure every detail in a scene, the make up of the actors and every line of the script is dealt with perfectly.

Some of Satyajit's famous quotes include:
"
I never imagined that any of my films, especially Pather Panchali, would be seen throughout this country or in other countries. The fact that they have is an indication that, if you're able to portray universal feelings, universal relations, emotions, and characters, you can cross certain barriers and reach out to others, even non-Bengalis."

"
Last, but not least -- in fact, this is most important -- you need a happy ending. However, if you can create tragic situations and jerk a few tears before the happy ending, it will work much better."

"The only solutions that are ever worth anything are the solutions that people find themselves."

CaptainSpark thumbnail
undefined

''
Ray was for me, not just a great artist he was something even rarer. An artist who had crafted his life so that it could serve as an example to others.''
~ Amitav Ghosh

''Sometime in April or May 1991, Satyajit Ray called me twice during the day. He called to remind us of a special screening (of Agantuk) being organised in a small theatre. When my wife and I got there, over a dozen shoulders, Ray saw us and greeted us with unusual warmth. He looked confident and serene. I could almost read his mind. He seemed to be saying, "You shall see, I have given my all!" Then, just before the 120 minute screening began, he looked at Utpal Dutt, his lead actor, and said with remarkable energy, "Utpal, do not forget what I told you." Then a meaningful pause. "Didn't I tell you that you are my protagonist?" he said. Possibly he meant more, perhaps spokesman' which, allegedly, he did call Dutt in an interview. Deeply moved, Dutt bent down and touched his feet. Utpal Dutt bending down and touching his feet! Never seen before, never heard of. Never, ever. Unbelievable! We were amazed. ''
~ Mrinal Sen

''Satyajit Ray is an extraordinary filmmaker with a long and illustrious career who has had a profound influence on filmmakers and audiences throughout the world. By honouring  Satyajit Ray, the Academy will help bring his work to the attention of a larger public, particularly to young filmmakers, on whom his work will certainly have a positive effect. ''

~ George Lucas

Many consider Satyajit Ray the last, and one of the most important man of the Bengal Renaissance. He is undoubtedly the best and the most famous among the five classical Bengali director. - Satyajit Ray, Ritwik Ghatak, Mrinal Sen, Tarun Majumdar and Tapan Sinha. Apart from receiving critical and commercial acclaim for most of his films, Ray has been gifted with people's love universally. His films have had a universal appeal, reaching even non-Indians and Bengalis.
Ray has been honoured many times. He received 32 National Award film nominations by the Government. At the 11th Moscow International Film Festival he was awarded the honourable prize for his contribution to cinema. (1979). The Government of India awarded him the Bharat Ratna  shortly before his death. He was also awarded the Honorary Oscar in 1992 for lifetime achievement. Apart from that, Ray has a film and television institute in his name ie Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute.

Credits

Concept and Write-Up - Brishti_Sarkar
Tags and Creations - Sukanya_Datta
We want to thank the gk_09 for giving us permission to make the thread.

BornThisWay thumbnail
Happy birthday to the extraordinary man, his contribution to the Bengali film industry is astounding!
CaptainSpark thumbnail
Finally the thread is complete :)