Has media stereotyped Sikhs & Punjabis negatively?

atominis thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
This report was put up on Scroll and their FB page, in which a female bank robber blamed her "Sikh culture" for trapping her - http://scroll.in/article/719339/US-judge-rejects-Bombshell-Bandit%E2%80%99s-plea-that-she-was-%E2%80%98trapped%E2%80%99-by-her-Sikh-culture

Comments started flowing in, labelling Sikh culture and Punjabis in general as drug addicts, alcoholic, violent, patriarchal, feudal, accusing them of practising female foeticide etc.

Do you agree that media is responsible for gross stereotyping of Sikhs and Punjabis in general?

Our religion no way condones alcoholism, drugs or discrimination against women.

I feel some movies and music videos have misled many.

What is your take?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Angel-Jot thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
I'm pretty sure that was a tactic to gain some sympathy from the court. It obviously failed, just as it should have.

I believe 'religion' has nothing to do with this. It's the culture and the environment that propagates or allows for issues such as female infanticide and drug abuse to be brought to the forefront.

Placing boys on a higher pedestal than girls is a cultural value ingrained in the Punjabi community. Not a Sikhism teaching.

Drug usage is rampant in Punjab, it can't be denied. It's an issue that is destroying the Punjabi culture.

At the end of the day, be it Western or Indian, every culture has negatives and positives. The media likes to pin point and focus on the negative aspects and unfortunately, the Punjabi culture, at the moment, has many. They need to be addressed, they need to be dealt with.
atominis thumbnail
I can't deny Punjab has its share of problems.

But perceptions have been influenced due to media as well.

It might seem like a minor issue but music videos glorifying drinking, violence and macho culture, even some Punjabis sporting T shirts with slogans like "sharaabi kabaabi", "risky after whisky" - is that all not adding to a stereotype? I do not think Bollywood films have ever shown Punjabis and Sikhs properly either, without resorting to caricaturing.

Honestly I am quite shocked to see the view people have of Sikhs and Punjabis and mock them, thinking they have no manners, no contribution of merit and were only farmers or soldiers or now aspiring to go abroad (even in that sense they like to stereotype them as taxi drivers). Just brand them all as druggies, alcoholics and brash, abusive, aggressive people.

All of it is just not true.
Angel-Jot thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Sikhs are not the only ones stereotyped. In a sense, society tends to scape goat a certain community and attach particular characteristics and/or aspects to that community.. the media definitely plays with it and further encourages it. Nothing new there.

The idea that Punjabis are labelled as "druggies" is new to me. Other than the drug usage problem in Punjab, I've never heard of a generalization of Punjabis overall being druggies. Alcoholics, aggressive, humorous? Sure. That, I've heard and also agree with you on.

As for videos, the Punjabi music industry in general tends to misinterpret Punjabi culture and values through music videos and movies. For example, the image of Bhagat Singh is very much associated with guns, violence, and arrogance among the Punjabi community. In reality, how many of those have actually read his written work? How many actually know that he even wrote anything at all? They represent him as a man that rebelled. End of.

Aside from that, as an NRI Punjabi, I can proudly say that all I've ever encountered is positive attitudes towards the community. We are recognized as a respectful, peaceful and hardworking community. Sure, there are instances where extreme stereotypes such as being labelled as "terrorists" occur, but once again.. depends on whether you want to dwell on the positives or negatives.

I choose positives.
atominis thumbnail
Of late, the drunkards and druggies type comments have increased.

In India it is both ways. Some respect you. But some instantly mock you.

Choosing positives is good but one cannot ignore the increasing negatives.

My father was laughed at and made fun of by a group of students at a tourist spot in Jaipur. They clapped, jeered at him, saying Sardar aa gaya besides whispering amongst each other. There people from other communities and nationalities also present there but those youth only mocked the sardar (we didn't even know each other so that rules out personal issues).
Often online also, the reaction is a bit different if they find you are a Sikh. I wonder how can they make sweeping assumptions on our intellect, education, lifestyle etc.

Media does no good either. Films like Singh is King for example, only made a joke of Sikhs.

Misuse of Bhagat Singh's image and not even understanding his scholarship and ideology are of course, among few blunders of media.

I don't think it was fair to show drunkard mothers and grandmothers from the Punjabi side in films like Vicky Donor.

In shows like TMKOC also, it is the Sikh guy always shown to bring drinks though other men also drink.

Whether we should take comments seriously or not, is a different matter but the change in tenor of comments does signify something.