TWTW - Au Revoir

VD927 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

My final TWTW write up. I write this with a very heavy heart today, never the less, I am happy that we got to see such a wonderful snapshot of Sahir's journey and arguably the most important chapter of his life - when he met his humsafar, Arzoo.

1. Nice closure

So the first point i want to make is that i have really enjoyed the past few weeks of the serial. It can be really hard for the creators to wind up a serial and it is common for things to be rushed too much and for the story to become a little overwhelming or even dis-jointed. However, I am not sure if it was the lack of pressure or the love/encouragement of the fans, i must say that they did a really good job at winding up the serial. The epi's were crisp and gripping. The final saaz scenes from the near kiss, to new consummation, valentines night etc were also an absolute treat to watch. I did feel that the makers put together the final few weeks with a lot of love in their heart for the fans of this show. Thank you HS Team!

1. Zeenat

So the final week really brought to light what a nasty piece of work this Zeenat was. A master manipulator, she was a complete venus fly trap...beautiful, attractive, seductive, a temptress. She went after what she couldn't have like a hunter, but when she got it, she lost interest and threw the person out of her life like old clothes.

We saw her this week, whispering sweet nothings to Bikram and then doing exactly the same with Sahir. I actually pitied both men in the scene where Bikram returns to take Zeenat away and she turns around and says Sahir, i don't know who this man is, i want to be with you my husband'...Bikram is gobsmacked. However Sahir's look is that of understanding. He knows exactly how Bikram feels because he too has been through the very same. He was also besotted by the sweet tongued Zeenat. He worshipped the very ground she walked on and would have happily died for her. But not anymore. He has learnt his lesson the hard way and has become a different man as a result. There is absolutely nothing that she can say or do which will sway him.

And not only was she a man-eater, but sadly she didn't spare others who loved her either. We learn about her equation with Alvira and how she destroyed Alvira and her father's marriage to the extent where he left everything in Zeenat's name.

But the saddest blow was made to KA, someone who had adored Zeenat from birth and had quite literally loved her like she was her own. The KA-Zee scene was very touching. You could feel KA's hurt and betrayal.

Neha Janpandit has been an excellent choice for Zeenat. Her acting has been fabulous and ironically, i could never quite hate her either! :-) She's a really beautiful and dangerous lady and you can completely see why Sahir fell for her and why Bikram, even though he knows how nasty she can be, still is ready to do anything for her.  

1. Alvira

So we also got to find out Alvira's angle on all this. She was the second wife, her relationship with her husband broke down courtesy of Zee and he didn't leave a thing to her children in his will. So to safeguard their future, she had wanted Zee dead and Sahir to re-marry so that all the property would transfer to her sons.

Once again, Vibha Chibber did a fantastic job this week. I was actually really happy that in the final week every single person in the supporting cast got their 5 mins to really pull out all the stops and act. I couldn't hate Alvira, even though what she did was wrong. As she mentions at the end to Sahir, she never wished him ill (and you can see that with the choice of Arzoo for him, though i do wish she had vocalised why she selected Arzoo, that would have been nice) but she was so worried about her sons she couldn't see anything else.

1. Pregnancy Drama

So we get the much needed closure on this one too, with Sam coming a long and apologising to Zaki and confirming that he wasn't the father. Zaki mentions here, that why didn't you just tell me, i would have helped you. Its interesting that the CVs have added this sentiment all over the place. Sahir says the same to Alivra, Zaki says it to Sam, Zaki later says it to Sahir as well. If only they had all just communicated better! :-)...i wonder whether this is a justification for there being so much ambiguity early on, that each person (Sahir, Alvira and Sam) felt that being open or even letting out some sort of hints would achieve nothing.

1. Sahir's real reasons behind the whole Nikaah drama

So again, finally we get to hear Sahir's reasons for going all crazy during the Nikaah. He admits to Zaki that he knew that Arzoo loved him and he loved her too. But telling Zaki about his feelings would have meant that he would also have to tell him about Zeenat's truth.

When Sahir spoke this line, i felt this horrible realisation. You know, i was recently watching the episodes again, all the way through the Nikaah and was really enjoying it. I wondered why i was enjoying it so much now, when at the time, all i wanted to do was kill Arzoo and wanted some sort of confirmation on the Sahir-Zee equation to justify the second nikaah. Yes i knew he had made a promise and i knew that if Sahir loved Arzoo it must be because something went horribly wrong with Zee, but the flashback had shown Sahir very happy with Zee which is why i wanted some sort of confirmation. I was enjoying it, because i knew now that Sahir-Zee were married only in name. I was enjoying it because i knew Zeenats truth, so this meant i was able to completely appreciate Sahir's inner conflict and crazy behaviour. He was totally allowed to love Arzoo and in fact, i felt so bad for him, being in the situation he was. I loved watching his scenes again, now knowing what it was that had been eating away at him all these years.

So when Sahir said these words, i realised what had been missing. He correctly felt he couldn't justify loving Arzoo without telling Zaki about Zeenats affair/divorce, but we the audience were in the painful situation of knowing Sahir loved Arzoo, but getting full confirmation so that we could fully understand Sahirs situation. We didn't have enough hints to tell us that Sahir-Zee had no relationship at all so it was ok for him to have feelings for Arzoo. All we knew that they were in love, she wanted him to be rich (which he was fine with) and then she had an accident. I can understand why many out there were saying at the time, how can a married man start having feelings for someone else, and that too when his wife was in a Coma. Sure, she wanted him to be rich, but he looked like he was happy with her until the end. I think, if we had had a few more flashbacks, which gave slightly clearer hints, perhaps with Zee telling Sahir he was boring, or him telling her that this hardly spend time together, or some indication that for a long while they have hardly been talking, or even a subtle hint she was seeing someone else, for the broader audience, it would have been easier to relate to Sahir and feel that it was ok for him to love Arzoo. Perhaps what they showed us in the past few weeks, peppered through Nov, Dec, Jan, slowly building together the pieces, rather than the audience flying blind.

1. Sahir's feelings for Arzoo

So this was a lovely confession of love. I loved the fact Sahir used Arzoo's language, he admitted that when it comes to her his mind stops thinking straight and that he didn't even realise when she became his life. As usual, although Sahir doesn't apologise for his behaviour, you can't help but love him. Arzoo too tells him off that she has discovered yet another lie and even though she made him promise he would never lie again, i am sure there are still many skeletons in the closet that Arzoo has to discover about him! :-)

Again i think if they had had more time, i would have liked Sahir to spend some more time explaining to Arzoo how his feelings developed, the inner conflict he was going through, more details on the misunderstanding of the pregnancy, her feelings for Zaki. And it would have been nice for him to say that the present he gave her or her birthday night, his feelings were true and not an act, because as soon as he was in front of her, no matter what he may have planned, all of that would go to pot! :-)

6) Zaki and Arzoo make-up

So again, really happy this was added. This was a much needed apology from Arzoo on playing with Zaki's feelings and agreeing to marry him and then kind of using the pregnancy report as an excuse not to marry him.

So happy that he called her Jahaara in the end. Only thing missing was a nice tight bear hug! I know this may not have sat well with the general audience, but according to the TRPs, they aren't watching anyways, so who cares!??? :-)

7) Parting scene

So this was a real heart breaking scene and once again really nice. Sahir hands over to Zaki who expresses his concern about running Saiyarra (don't worry Zaki, i would feel the same in your shoes), but then Sahir says don't worry, you have the VP Anam helping you. Now, with all of Anam's faults, she was really good at her job. And any trickery she did (be it even stealing Arzoo's designs) were because she found Arzoo a threat to her progress somehow. So was happy that despite it all, Sahir gave Anam the much deserved promotion. If there is anyone who can run Saiyarra well after Sahir, its this lady.

So then the interesting bit was even though everyone was saying please stay, Sahir and Arzoo still left. Sahir does love and will always love Alvira, Zaki etc. But NH is still filled with a lot of sad memories for him. And although he is in a peaceful place with it all, it is clear, that he wants his chen and sookoon' to stay intact and wants to start afresh with Arzoo, helping her get those knots untied.

Although Sahir looked like a bit of a pirate on the way out with Asharfi on his shoulder, it was a really moving scene as they turned and waved. Obviously this wave was not only for NH but for us the audience as well. I had imagined a slightly happier ending to be honest, with Arzoo being a gussebaaz with Sahir as they went off into the sunset or back in a plane together with the same man sitting next to them as before, but i guess this ending was fitting considering the emotional rollercoaster we have all been through as fans.

Good-bye Humsafars. You have been the first Indian TV serial in many years that has kept my attention for so many months and it hurts to see you go. It is easy for us viewers to sit and comment on the would's and could's but only the HS Team know the pressures of trying to create a popular show and the real story on why time slots couldn't have been changed or the channel couldn't have been moved.

But i want to say a big thank you to 4Lions and the HS Team for at least bringing this concept and story to our screens, albeit for only a few months. Sahir Azeem Chaudary and his portrayal by Harshad Chopra and Arzoo, with her portrayal by Shivya Pathania has indeed kept me addicted, but there was a lot more to this serial other than Sahir and Arzoo. The supporting cast were fabulous, right from Arzoo's family (crying mum (!), sweet Daadi, cute Myra and the lovely Zara), to the office staff (just loved Linda and Joe) and of course the NH residents, the mysterious Alvira, the charming Zaki and the no-nonsense Anam. Of course how can we forget the kurti cheez KA.  Oh and Rehman sir! 😆

I loved Sahir's room with its candlelit setting, the pool reflecting the light, creating this calm yet dark ambience. I loved the outhouse porch where so many memorable scenes occurred such as the apology, the birthday dance and the lovely serenade. And of course i loved Sahir's office cabin, where so many fights and comic scenes took place.

Final mention must go to have fabulous script. The dialogues were amazing! And the same way people quote movie dialogues, we have come to quote Humsafar dialogues. How many Indian TV serials can claim to have managed that???

Love you Humsafars. Despite everything, i am happy you came to our screens and even though you are leaving us well before your time, you have certainly left your mark. I do hope i see you again in the future and you give us another chapter from Sahir's life, but for now, i shall try and be content with what i have (although i have to admit its difficult!!)...as Harshiv said, youtube zindabad!! 😊

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

madhu31 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
too sad to say much, so two words:

this hurts.🥺
Spunkyrutz thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Hi VD,

Beautiful summation as always.. Yes, I too loved the finale. It was beautiful and closed all the loops nicely. I liked this finale better than Tere Liye serials finale which I felt was just a last minute thinking on part of the creatives. 

For whatever it was, I liked the closure between Sahir and Alvira. Relationships are seldom straight and easy to understand. I liked the way how they they portrayed this complex relationship between this mother-son duo. If she would have turned out to be completely negative and hating Sahir, I would have been really disappointed. Like Alvira said, she did love him in her own way and never wished ill for him. I remembered one of her dialogues to KA when she says that doesn't Sahir deserve some happiness in his life?. So she always did genuinely care about him. 

I agree, if we would have seen some of Sahir-Zee flashbacks early on, it would have helped us to better understand Sahir''s motives in manipulating both Zaki and Aarzoo during the nikaah time. Also maybe, this could have garnered more TRPs in terms of the general audience sympathizing with Sahir more. Would have been definitely easier to understand his manipulation and lies when it came to Arzoo.

All said and done, I am so happy that I stumbled onto HS and could be a part of this rolled coaster ride. Loved every minute of ...A big thank you to 4Lions, Gorky Sir, Shivani Mathur, Nimisha Pandey, Harneet Singh, Harshad Chopda, Shivya Pathania and the entire cast and crew of Humsafars for giving us this beautiful safar called Humsafars...

farzy2910 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Love your summary of Humsafars 👍🏼
chicksoup thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Aww V,
Thank U so much for being a humsafar through this journey...🤗

Your take was lovely...

I even cracked up at the Sahir looking like pirate thought!😆

I felt almost the same as U felt...especially with the hug missing in Arzoo- Zaki scene. 
U R bang on with the analysis that the mystery should have been unwound earlier on Sahir's relationship with Zee. It was crucial that the audience had no doubts as to where he stood there...

Also missed Arzoo's family in the last episode...would have been good to see them. 

Felt the ending was sad...because they did look sad- but as U said, it is probably the mood of the cast, the crew and their beloved fans.

I just wish Sony had given them a solid two months to wrap up...I have always maintained that good shows need to come in short seasons...and HS turned out to be just that! 

Will miss them... and definitely your takes...

Wishing the team all the very best with their future ventures...

🤗