uknaik99 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago
Sufi songs appeal to me, says Kailash Kher

Ritujoy Ghosh

Kolkata, September 29, 2006

From the songs of Sufi saints, Kailash Kher is now keen to explore the music of the wandering minstrels of Bengal. The singer is now working on a Bengali album, which will comprise music of the Bauls of Bengal. 

"I don't know the language well but understand it," he says about his comprehension of Bengali. What interests him most is the similarity that Baul philosophy has with Sufi culture, which has influenced his singing greatly. "That is why I decided to do a Bengali album," says Kher, who was in town on Friday to perform at a concert, Moksha.

The singer is in the process of writing the songs and will start composing in a few months' time. "I have a number of Bengali friends who are musicians and I will have to take their help. I will approach them once I have written the songs," he says.

The album will also have songs from other parts of eastern India. This is something the singer tries to maintain in all his albums. "The first had shades of north Indian music like Punjabi, UP, Himachali and others. The next album will have Rajasthani, Gujarati and Maharashtrian flavour," says Kailash who has already recorded a song for his next album, called Joban chalke, with two band members, Naresh Kamath and Paresh Kamath.

"We did not know that Kailash  would be liked and appreciated so much. So we decided to come out with the second album within four months. It will be released in another couple of months," says Kher.

What is keeping the singer busy these days is his international concert with Pearl Jam guitarist Eddie Vedder. "It will happen in March next year and a lot of work needs to be done. Both of us are very nervous as the concert is dedicated to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and we don't want any flaws," he says. Kher will be going to US in November for the final round of talks with Vedder.

The singer has recently completed recording for Shankar Ehsaan Loy in Salaam-e-Ishq and is excited about the song, Pyar hai aisa. "It is a slow, romantic track and I am sure it will be liked by all. I always like love songs. That is why Sufi songs appeal to me," says Kailash.

"Even audiences like love songs. That is why Teri diwani was an instant hit. I worked a lot on the song because I understand what love means. Mujhe maloom hai pyar mein kya paagalpan hota hai because I have been through it," he says.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Bhaskar.T thumbnail

Originally posted by: uknaik99

The album will also have songs from other parts of eastern India. This is something the singer tries to maintain in all his albums. "The first had shades of north Indian music like Punjabi, UP, Himachali and others. The next album will have Rajasthani, Gujarati and Maharashtrian flavour," says Kailash who has already recorded a song for his next album, called Joban chalke, with two band members, Naresh Kamath and Paresh Kamath.

Thanks Kavitaji for the article.

Thats one of the main reason why his albums are always refreshing to listen to. Every song is different even though they are all based on Sufiana Music.

Kanta80 thumbnail
Kailesh is doing an album on Baul songs, wow!
Barnali thumbnail

Originally posted by: uknaik99

From the songs of Sufi saints, Kailash Kher is now keen to explore the music of the wandering minstrels of Bengal. The singer is now working on a Bengali album, which will comprise music of the Bauls of Bengal. 

"I don't know the language well but understand it," he says about his comprehension of Bengali. What interests him most is the similarity that Baul philosophy has with Sufi culture, which has influenced his singing greatly. "That is why I decided to do a Bengali album," says Kher, who was in town on Friday to perform at a concert, Moksha.

it would b interesting to watch for this album. only problem he may face is regd the language he is tlking about. if yu dnt know the baul language yu may face prob. in accent. baul songs hve a particulat accent. it is true thy r similar to sufiana culture but pronouncing the baul language words will need lot of practice.

mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: Barnali

it would b interesting to watch for this album. only problem he may face is regd the language he is tlking about. if yu dnt know the baul language yu may face prob. in accent. baul songs hve a particulat accent. it is true thy r similar to sufiana culture but pronouncing the baul language words will need lot of practice.

Cewl!! I am a big fan of Kailash Kher and all this information is new and helpful.  I cannot get enough of his "Too.. meri jaan hai...  Too mera armaan Hai.. from JJKN
I will do some more reading on "BAUL" songs. 
Thanks guys.

qt

Bhaskar.T thumbnail

Originally posted by: mermaid_QT

Cewl!! I am a big fan of Kailash Kher and all this information is new and helpful.  I cannot get enough of his "Too.. meri jaan hai...  Too mera armaan Hai.. from JJKN
I will do some more reading on "BAUL" songs. 
Thanks guys.

Here you will get more on Baul in this topic.

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/273413

advil thumbnail

Honestly speaking I cannot remember if I have heard any Kailash kher songs..

Can someone please give a list of his songs  so that i can verify if I have heard him at all or not.

I would love to hear baul song...😳..and also the mystic Pahadi songs.

Qwest thumbnail
Kavita thanks for great article.
mermaid_QT thumbnail
Thanks Bhaskar T. I really appreciate. 😃 Will get my hands and ears on some of Baul music..
also looking fwd to kailash kher's attempt! Have a lovely one.

qt
AznDesi thumbnail

Thank you gonna check it out for sure i luv teri Diwani other than that havent gottena chance to sample the genre So here goes.... 👏