Let's congratulate Surekha Sikri - Our Dadisa!

atominis thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

This thread is created in honour of the actor who plays the character that has always turned the story of Balika Vadhu around...

...the character that has influenced other characters' lives profoundly and in both worst and best ways...

...the character that we all loved, hated and debated in equal measure...

...the character that has evoked myriad emotions in viewers ranging from hatred, disapproval, criticism, shock, shame to admiration, pity, awe, empathy, love and often even unintentional hilarity...

...the character that was equally cold, yet equally warm,orthodox in many ways, progressive in other ways, yet always impactful no matter what she did...

...the character whose graph and journey reflects the story and message of Balika Vadhu...

...the character who was a nightmare to begin with but now represents some dream and hope of positive change...

...the character who is the pillar of Balika Vadhu, steadfastly long standing for over 6 years since the show started in 2008...

the character of the formidable KALYANI DEVI aka Dadisa/Maasa played to perfection by an actor always loved for her portrayal and almost unanimously hailed as an institution in he
rself...

Let us congratulate her on her latest win at the 2014 Indian Television Academy Awards as Best Actress (Jury) for Balika Vadhu! And all excellent work she has done in the show all these years!πŸ‘

Edited by atominis - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

atominis thumbnail

Surekha Sikri or Surekha Sikri Rege is Indian film, theatre and TV actress. She was born on April 19, 1945 in New Delhi, British India.
Belongs to Uttar Pradesh and Childhood spent in Almora and Nainital.
At the beginning stage of her career she attended GEC, Aligarh Muslim University Aligarh. Later she graduated from the prestigious National School of Drama (NSD) in 1968,and worked with the NSD Repertory Company for over a decade before shifting base to Mumbai. She lost her husband Hemant Rege due to heart failure on October 20, 2009. The couple has a son.

In her own words, her family had no background in acting. Her father was an air force officer and her mother was a teacher. It was her sister who wanted to be an actor. She sat at home for some time as she had no idea of what to do in life. In mean time she watched plays and gradually felt like trying her hand at acting. Her sister had filled forms for the National School of Drama. She also followed her footsteps for a lark and the rest is history!

CAREER:

Surekha ji has acted in many nationally and internationally acclaimed theatre productions, plays, TV serials and films, winning rave reviews for her performances.

TV:

Neem da ped, Godan, Kabhi Kabhi, Banegi Apni Baat, Just Mohabbat, Saher, Samay, Kesar, Saat Phere, Balika Vadhu, Maa Exchange etc. Surekha ji has performed in acclaimed shows across most major channels from Doordarshan to Zee TV, Star Plus, Sony and Colors. And has cult shows to her credit across different decades from the 1980s to 2000s.
Although she has had acclaimed roles to her credit earlier yet her most popular role came to be in Balika Vadhu (Colors) as Kalyani Devi/Dadisa. She has won several awards for her performance in this role and received appreciation from all quarters. Her success as Dadisa has been described as a trendsetter in bringing back veteran actors in strong roles on television.

FILMS:

2009 Dev.D
Bus passenger
 2008 Balika Vadhu (TV Series)
Kalyani Devi
 2007 C.I.D. (TV Series)
Maithili
- The Case of Uninvited Guest (2007) ... Maithili
 2007/II Kindle (Short)
Neighbour
 2005 Saat Phere... Saloni Ka Safar (TV Series)
Bhabho
 2005 Jo Bole So Nihaal
Mrs. Balwant Singh (Nihaal's mom)
 2004 Tumsa Nahin Dekha
Daksh's grandma
 2004 Raincoat
Manoj's mom
 2004 Kesar (TV Series)
Saroj
 2003 Raghu Romeo
Mother
 2002 Mr. and Mrs. Iyer
Najma Khan
 2002 Kali Salwaar (as Surekha Sikri-Rege)
 2001 Deham
Om's mother (as Surekha Sikri-Rege)
 2001 Zubeidaa
Fayyazi (as Surekha Sikri-Rege)
 2000 Hari-Bhari: Fertility
Hasina
 1999 Cotton Mary
Gwen
 1999 Dillagi
Kiran
 1999 Sarfarosh
Sultan's Mother (special appearance) (as Surekha Sikri Rege)
 1998 Janmadinam
Amma (Sarasu's mother)
 1997 Kabhie Kabhie (TV Series)
Lakshmi Pathak
 1996 Sardari Begum
Idbal Bai (as Surekha Sikri Rege)
 1994 Mammo
Fayyazi
 1994 Banegi Apni Baat (TV Series)
 1993 Little Buddha
Sonali (as Surehka Sikri)
 1993 Karamati Coat
 1993 Kirdaar (TV Series)
Mrs. Rehman Ali
- Rehman Ke Joote ... Mrs. Rehman Ali
 1991 Nazar
Bua
 1989 Parinati
Ganesh's wife
 1989 Salim Langde Pe Mat Ro
Salim's mother
 1988 Bharat Ek Khoj (TV Series)
- Caste Formation (1988)
 1986 Anaadi Anant
 1980 Staying On (TV Movie)
Susy Williams
 1978 Kissaa Kursee Kaa
Meera

AWARDS:

Surekha Sikri is among the only 2 actresses in India who have won the prestigious National Award for Best Supporting Actress twice. 

Surekha Sikri received the
Sangeet Natak Akademi Puraskar (Akademi Award) in 1989, which is the highest Indian recognition given to practicing artists.

National Film Awards

1988- Tamas

1995 - Mammo

Indian Telly Awards

2008- Best Actress in a Negative Role (as Kalyani Devi/Dadisa, Balika Vadhu)

2012 - Best Actress in Supporting Role (Jury)

2013 - Best Actress in a leading role (Jury) (as Kalyani Devi/Dadisa, Balika Vadhu)

Indian Television Academy Awards

2008- Best Actress in Negative Role (as Kalyani Devi/Dadisa, Balika Vadhu)

2009 - Best Actress in Negative Role

2010- Best Actress Drama (Jury)

2010 - Co-recipient of ITA Milestone Award as cast member of Balika Vadhu

2011 - Best Actress Drama (Jury)

2014 - Best Actress Drama (Jury) (as Kalyani Devi/Dadisa, Balika Vadhu)

Global Indian Film & Television Honours:

2011 - Best Performance in a Negative Role (as Kalyani Devi/Dadisa, Balika Vadhu)

Colors Golden Petal Awards

2010 - Most Anubhavi Personality (Dadisa, Balika Vadhu)

2012- Voice of Wisdom

BIG Television Awards

2011 - Teekha character (as Dadisa in Balika Vadhu)

ASSOCHAM Ladies' League Award

2014 - Mumbai Women of the Decade Achievers Award for Excellence in Acting

She has also won many other awards such as Lions' Gold Awards, Kalakar awards etc and been included in lists of best TV actors and characters by several publications including Times of India, Indian Express, Screen Weekly, Rediff etc. Recently she was included among 101 Towering Personalities of Indian Television by GR8! TV magazine.

(Surekha ji has been working since late 1960s in theatre, later television and films. So information about her, her work, achievements is not fully available online. This is a brief bio based on available material online and not exhaustive.)

atominis thumbnail

A cursory look at what the fraternity says about Surekha Sikri:

Siddharth Sengupta (director) - "The first time I was shooting with Surekhaji, I was very apprehensive. She is a University of Acting. Sometimes without uttering a single dialogue, just her mere presence and the way she looks, enhances the entire scene. She gives acting tips to her co-actors.

I have worked for nearly 15 years in this industry and with almost 5000 actors, most of them very good actors. I have even worked with Seema Biswas but she has been the best so far. There is a difference between dedication and devotion. She is devoted to acting. She does her homework. I have not seen this kind of homework being done by anyone. You take all the actors on one side and keep Surekha Sekhri on the other side, that is the equation. I have not worked with anyone like Surekhaji. What she does on screen is magic. You have to explain what the scene is and then after ten minutes, she comes to perform and you see magic on screen.
Balika Vadhu wouldn't be the same without Surekhaji. It is an honor to work with her. She is somebody you can learn from."

Anup Soni (Bhairon Singh): "Surekhaji is too senior to me. So when I and Satyajit joined National School of Drama Delhi, we did hear about her. But this is the first time I am working with her, and I can vouch that one can see a mark difference in the way she performs vis-a-vis those in other shows. Its actors like Surekhaji who have given variety to audience in terms of acting and have made them realise that what they have been watching on other shows is not the ultimate acting. Also her presence has enhanced the performances of all the new comers who have joined this show. I strongly believe that when you are in the company of brilliant actors, you will always perform good, provided you are eager to learn and grow."

Pratyusha Banerjee (Former Anandi): "Surekhaji is a sweetheart. She has mood swings but is the best person to work with. When doing scenes with her I have to ensure that I give it my best inorder to match up to her calibre and to get noticed."

Neha Marda (Former Gehna): "It was a privilege to share the screen with Surekhaji. Even if the scene is not hers, she always walks away with the cake and the cherry at all times with her mere presence. Even without saying a single dialogue, and with expressions alone she does miracle. I really feel blessed for getting an opportunity to do Balika Vadhu and I would like to thank Surekhaji for being so supportive and positive while doing the scenes. Its been an amazing journey so far working with her and as everyone says, "she is an institution in herself" holds true."

Avika Gor (young Anandi) - "Of course I am (in touch with BV cast) especially with Surekha ji. She is so sweet to bring chocolates for me on the sets and she has pampered me a lot and I really love her a lot."

Avinash Mukherjee (young Jagya):

"She (Surekha Sikri) pampered me a lot. The love that one sees on screen is much more off screen from dadisa."

Toral Rasputra (current Anandi): "I was very nervous when I shot with Surekha Sikri (Dadisa) for the first time. She is a very skilled and senior actress. She does everything with perfection. However, now since I have shot many scenes with her, I have become comfortable with her. I get to learn a lot from her too which I believe is very helpful to me."

Nakuul Mehta (actor, played lead in Pyar ka dard hai on Star Plus): Feels dadisa aka Surekha Sikri is a powerhouse of talent. Nakuul follows Balika Vadhu and can't stop gushing about the veteran actor. "Surekha ji is mind blowing and she is one of the most talented actors in the Indian entertainment industry. It's heartening to see such great talent and the kind of work she's doing."

Sunjoy Wadhwa (Producer, Sphere Origins) - "Surekha Sikri has been outstanding."

Gaurav Khanna (model, TV actor, played lead in Love ne Mila di jodi)
-"
Surekha Sikri is an amazing actor. She's acting personified as Dadisa in Balika Vadhu."

Vikrant Massey (Former Shyam) - "It's a good experience working with her. I am able to learn a lot from her. "

Sakshi Tanwar (Teepri) - "Working on Balika Vadhu was a wondeful experience. I got to work with a legend like Surekha Sikriji. I learnt so much from her."

Sudha Shivpuri (Surekha ji's colleague, actress who played Baa in Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, Star Plus)
-
"It's a very dominating role and Surekha is not acting. She is performing. It's so natural." (on her role in Balika Vadhu as Dadisa)

Rupal Patel (actress who plays Kokila in Saath Nibhana Saathiya on SP) -
 "
I admire Surekha Sikri who is brilliant as dadisa in Balika Vadhu. I have never met her in but I feel she is super talented and a gifted."

Pradeep Yadav (director, Balika Vadhu) -

"It's wonderful to work with actors who have devoted their life to acting. Though Surekha ji is aged and experienced but she does not mind giving a retake. She is ever enthusiastic."

Purnendu Shekhar (writer, Balika Vadhu) -

"She's a great performer. I cannot imagine anyone else apart from Surekha Sikri playing Dadisa's role. Without Dadisa we can't imagine BV."

Sriti Jha (Former Ganga)
-
"I was scared to face camera with her. I didn't know if I could speak my lines in front of her. But she's fun on the sets. I miss her. Surekha ji is a school in herself when it comes to acting."

Shashank Vyas (Jagdish Singh/Jagya) - "
Biggest achievement as an actor - Working with Surekha Sikri"

Satyajit Sharma (Basant) - "
You are always alert when you work with Surekha. For a theatre person like me she has been a part of my consciousness. At first the thought of facing the camera with her was scary but now we have come to share a nice intimate bond."

Siddharth Shukla (Shivraj Shekhar/Shiv) -

"Do not go with Surekha ji's age, she is one of the youngest members on the sets when it comes to talking and joking. We keep pulling each other's legs all the time. And every time she is around we end up having a laugh riot. She has the sharpness of a 20 year old and when it comes to delivering her dialogues. She is a legend in herself and I simply like the way she catches every activity around her. Hence whenever I feel there is any need for improvement, I ask her and she is there to help."

Smita Bansal (Sumitra)
- "I get goosebumps whenever I do scenes with an actor like her (Surekha Sikri)."

aparnauma thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Wow!!!!!!
 Skep - Lovely tribute for a magnificent actressπŸ‘

Thanks for the this beautiful threadπŸ€—

Her body of work is really impressive.
Whether the role is a full-fledged one or just a cameo - she never fails to impress.

I have not seen most of these but the ones I have seen decades agai and still remember those for her performances and the kind of variety she had shown in the projects that she did.

I remember the movie Sarafaosh which starred none other than Aamir Khan only for her performance where she had a 3min role and just two three lines and she told the entire story of the character from the way she performed.You could see the character's entire life flashing before your eyes and such is the power of her acting talent.She transports you to the world of the character.

The other performance which I haves seen is the Iconic show Banegi Apni Baat - where her role is so different from the one she is currently playing in Balika Vadhu. There she is this well educated polished middle class lady from a small town who comes to Mumbai with her three teenaged daughters.

And of course her best role ever - Dadisa - Don't know who I love most Dadisa or Surekhaji for the way she plays it. How effortlessly she steals the thunder from her co stars.

She truly is a star⭐️No wonder the writers can't have enough of her and keep coming up with tracks written for her.

The most notable one was Anandi Shiv engagement scene  - We as viewers have been waiting for this to happen for so long but when the scene and the episode was aired she comepletely stole the scene away from Anandi and Shiv - with such a lovely portrayal of mixed emotions.πŸ‘

I can go on and still have enough more to say about her performance as Dsa
aparnauma thumbnail
Congratulations to Surekhaji for winning the much deserved award
aparnauma thumbnail
Skeps - This is for ypuπŸ€—
atominis thumbnail
I remember when we first started watching Balika Vadhu in 2008. πŸ˜† If there was one character that struck me the most it was DS! By Jove! Did I get irked by her or what! But her sarcastic one liners and temper often had me in splits too. πŸ˜Š
I and my parents loved Surekha ji's acting. Her accent, her dialogue delivery, posture, mannerisms, body language were just spot on!πŸ‘

My dad who has lived for many years in Rajasthan used to remark how apt this show was in their detailing of Rajasthani culture initially. And how real this lady Dadisa was.

I remember her scenes being played endlessly on news channels. She was a rage just as the rest of the cast. πŸ˜Š

Deservingly so.

Her gaze, the style of sitting, dressing, her subtle variations in expressions, making voice calm and harsh in a split second,  that jhatak of her pallu...just shone in brilliance! πŸ‘

Truly like Anup Soni had said, when you see her, as a viewer you will realise difference in what you had been seeing and what you are seeing now. No one is like Surekha ji. No one.

Many women played vamps, saas, matriarch etc but none could come close to the naturalness of Surekha ji as DS. The copycats of other spin off shows were just loud caricatures. They never got shades of character right, nor brought the rustic and earthy flavour that Surekha Sikri brought to Kalyani.😊

She looks mature. She brought shades of Kalyani with her gestures, winking, sullen, pursed lips, tilt of head etc to show her dichotomy as a traditional yet manipulative woman. 

Kalyani could lie, threaten, lure, bribe, be corrupted, yet shower love, revel in joy, cry in sorrow and regret. She was a sufferer. Yet also made others suffer. 

She has been both product of orthodox society and manufacturer of orthodoxy. She has thwarted change makers. She has supported change makers. She has evolved into some change agent herself. 

The irony in every aspect of her life makes her a case study of sorts.

Yet she is not a vile, criminal, lady don type villain with a rifle in her hand to threaten people.

Surekha Sikri says she got a well scripted show. Yes indeed. But Dadisa would be nothing if not enacted by her the way she did! She made writing come to life and I am sure brought her own nuances to give a personality onscreen to Kalyani Devi.

I have seen people hating or defending Dadisa. Arguments go on. But one thing NO ONE argues on is the power of Surekha Sikri's acting! Everybody agrees she is brilliant! πŸ‘πŸΌ

If you see her as a tortured wife in Zubeida who cannot even look at her husband in the eyes and then see her in BV you will realise how much she gets into the skin of each character she does. It looks as if she is actually going through those experiences! 

As a child I found her cry baby after watching her in Zubeida and Sarfarosh. Typical dukhiyari.

But what a turnaround in BV!😲

Dadisa keeps head held high even in grief. Such difference! 

The rest of the cast too has been awesome barring few recent entries. They complemented each other so well that they looked like real family and neighbours! πŸ˜Š

Surekha ji has a diminutive frame. But boy! Does she nearly overshadow even males with her screen presence or what? πŸ‘  She owns the frame she is in.

Watching BV again on Rishtey makes me appreciate her even more. What a fine artiste! 

She did set trend of senior actors doing solid roles. Thanks to DS, seniors do not just sit on rocking chair throughout episode anymore. They have meaty roles.😊

DS truly represents how the old guard needs to change with changing times and help progress of society. Old and new have to walk together. 

Her bond with her sons, Jagya, Anandi and now DILs is getting better. When she realises mistakes onscreen, many seniors are inspired to introspect in real life. 

I am glad to see Surekha ji win awards!πŸ‘ She deserves every one of them and more!

We should be happy that BV had such talented cast. NSD, FTII alumni! As well as best of young talent. No other show in recent years offered this. 

In fact many NSD actors rather lost their identity in useless roles on TV.

Surekha ji made her alma mater proud!⭐️

She blends well with every change in story and cast. She never goes lax. She gives her best no matter what. In true sense the pillar of the show! 

From best actress in negative role to best supporting actress to finally best actress - this was quite a journey! πŸ‘ The progression in her character and its transition have reflected well. 

She proved one does not need to be of a certain age to gain success. Working hard with dedication at given opportunity can create wonders at any age!

I love the fact that she has aged naturally. She embraces her age, doesn't hide behind make up or botox. Real life appearances are simple. She's her own person. I admire her individuality! 

There is truly no BV if not for DS (and her acts be it good or bad).

I wish she had come to receive the ITA Award this year. Guess she did not attend. πŸ˜•

We have ATs and FCs for leads. But we rarely have something for senior actors. Just comments. W

Yet this doesn't mean we do not love her acting. She puts the ACT in acting! 

Thanks for hours and hours of entertainment, debates, discussion, spoofs you inspired as Dadisa! Many congrats on your award! 

May you win more!πŸ₯³

atominis thumbnail
Thank you Aparna for responding! πŸ˜Š
You guys must be wondering what thread did I suddenly Res!πŸ˜†

Just felt like doing something for Surekha ji. πŸ˜Š

I have very vague memories of her in Banegi apni baat. Agreed she makes impact in even brief roles. Her face told story in that little scene in Sarfarosh as you rightly said!

I can't thank BV team enough for casting an actress like Surekha ji in their show. 

She raised standards on TV that had gone down after K stuff onslaught. 

Glad you like the thread. πŸ€—
Nandita_Siddian thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Congrats To Surekhajee for that awesome achievement...πŸ‘ 
Thank you TM for that awesome post...😊
Missesha thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
@Skepblun - Awesome thread... kudos to you for your hardwork 
@ Aparna: Enjoyed reading your comments too.

Congratulations to our Dadisa for her outstanding performance in BV. I remember her too for her role in Banegi Apni Baat. Her character of a polished woman raising her three daughters had so much of depth. At that point too, her role as a single mother was so inspiring.

Nice tribute to her. Hope she gets to read your thread.