In Defense of the CVs - The symbolism behind the havan

anonee thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

The fact that the CVs had Pakhi conduct the havan for Anshuman troubled me.  And I have been wondering why?  Several of us have already discussed it.  One thing we all mentioned was that Ayaan should be the one doing the havan and not Pakhi.

I have come to the conclusion that the havan signified Pakhi breaking attachment with Anshuman - though in her self-thoughts she spoke of her attachment to him.

Anshuman was never given closure - by this I mean although Pakhi said he was dead - his final rites were never performed.

In hinduism we cremate the body.  The main reasons we do so is to free the soul from bondage to that body and, to free the soul from attachment to its loved ones and vice versa.

The only person who is truly attached to Anshuman is Pakhi.  Neither Lavanya nor Anuja have/had true attachment to Anshuman.  Ayaan and Anshuman's relation was real shaky - it was Pakhi who brought the two together.  So the person who had to be freed from attachment to Anshuman is Pakhi.  Similarly, for Anshuman's departed soul to be free it needed to break attachment with Pakhi.

It was therefore imperative that Pakhi perform the havan.  Remember how the CVs depicted the flame on Anshuman's photograph?  Well, that was to symbolize his cremation and the breakage of attachment between the two (Anshuman and Pakhi).

Yes, Pakhi's self-thoughts were different.  Her self-thoughts are what she says to herself externally.  But inwardly in front of the infinite spirit or God her attachment to Anshuman is broken.

This ties in with the symbolism of the termites that was discussed earlier (https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4200848).  The internal link is broken what is outside is just waiting to collapse under its own weight.

After the cremation or havan in this case everyone leaves praying for a happy and prosperous life ahead.  So the final prayers after the havan were for Pakhi - the bride of Veer to be happy in her newly wedded life!

Edited by anonee - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

payal7 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I agree that in Hinduism the rituals are performed after someone dies to free the soul of all the ties its has made in this janam to allow it move on in its journey unburdened.

in that context your interpretation makes sense Anonee

Thanks for sharing
anonee thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: payal7

I agree that in Hinduism the rituals are performed after someone dies to free the soul of all the ties its has made in this janam to allow it move on in its journey unburdened.

in that context your interpretation makes sense Anonee

Thanks for sharing

Thank you Payal for the comment ðŸ˜Š