Lets Talk About Women-Mahira Khan's short interview

sillage. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

Let's talk about women
Pakistani actor Mahira Khan, who has made a name for herself with television serial Humsafar, says women are heroes of the small screen in Pakistan
Mona

A still from Humsafar As Mahira Khan gets set to make her presence fely on Indian telly, she has only one prayer...to replicate the success of her show Humsafar back in Pakistan. Humsafar turned Mahira into a celebrity overnight and the actor is as proud of her work and the show alike. "Humsafar could do what Tanhai did decades back, bringing masses and classes back on small screen," shares Mahira.

"Tanhai was such an attraction that roads were deserted during the show time, no one had a wedding on the day the show was to be aired, and, Humsafar could pull that again." Mahira plays Khirad in the show, an independent, self-respecting woman. Mahira and Khirad have some common traits, as Khirad would never be rude to any person howsoever angry she is; neither would Mahira, in real life, "But Khirad is great, I am nowhere close to her," Mahira giggles over the phone. The show has the current heartthrob Fawad Khan opposite Mahira. It is a love story between the two, love post marriage; and separation. "How Khirad carries herself with dignity in marriage or when she goes through the separation, is what I admire about the character."

If life on the sets has been interesting, it has not been any less for Mahira in real life too. Born in Karachi, Mahira went to Los Angeles to study, and, no, it wasn't an acting course that she picked up but chemical engineering. She justifies, "Whatever I studied, in my mind I was always acting. Even when holding tubes in my hand, I would be dancing in my mind." She did change to psychology for her major but post studies back home in Karachi, acting happened. There has been no looking back ever since. Humsafar became a game changer for Mahira. "I had to be very cautious on picking up my next project, such responsibility to deliver was thrust on my shoulders. And, I could no longer roam around freely and eat a burger enjoying every morsel of it without being photographed," she laughs, "I always tell people around me, I will pose for a photograph but please not while eating."

How's life being an actor in Karachi?

"For a TV actor, it is easy. Women are the heroes of the small screen in Pakistan and stories are written around them. I wonder why so few women are actually taking it up."

And what she loves the best about television in her country is that one doesn't need to compromise, "No need to shed clothes, you can be what you are in real life, such are our shows. Yes, it's not considered that honourable still in our society to be an actress, but with time it's changing."

Humsafar would be aired soon on Zindagi.

Source-http://www.tribuneindia.com/2014/20140925/ttlife1.htm#4