shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 17 years ago
Rekkha Modi cries foul
   By: Tushar Joshi
   September 2, 2006

Rekkha Modi

She is probably best remembered for taking on the mighty Tulsi Virani (Smriti Iraani), when the one-time friends turned life-long foes.

Now, writer Rekkha Modi is upset with another one of her small screen brethren. Modi is furious with producer Dheeraj Kumar after watching the promos of his new show on Zee titled Ghar Ki Lakshmi — Betiyaan. The reason? Not only is the title registered under her name, but Rekkha had also narrated the show's entire concept to him not too long ago.

Script tampered

Giving specific details of what happened, Rekkha says, "I was earlier working with Rakhi Tandon, who was going to produce my show for Zee.

Things didn't work out with her, then Dheeraj Kumar stepped in and decided to take over the project. Both him and the channel were very excited after listening to my concept. A lot of hard work and efforts were put in to put the project together."

After making a settlement to produce the show under Kumar's banner on Zee, Rekkha realised that as time progressed, things started getting out of hand.

"From the beginning it was my concept, my dialogues and my script. It was like giving birth to a child and asking a foster parent to take care of him. But soon I started feeling left out of discussions and creative meetings."

Apparently, Kumar had brought in his own set of writers who started tampering with Rekkha's script. "Why should I let any one else play around with my hard work? I was asked to work on terms and conditions set down by Kumar."

'This is unjust'

After a while, Rekkha told Kumar it wasn't possible for her to work with him anymore. "He nicely told me that I could go to some one else with the idea. In fact, the channel too promised me they wouldn't work on my concept anymore." But Rekkha got a shock when she saw the promos of Kumar's upcoming show Ghar Ki Lakshmi — Betiyaan on Zee.

"It had the same title, feel and look to the project I had been working on with Kumar.

In fact, I have a couple of titles involving the word Betiyaan registered under my name. I can't believe that some one of Dheeraj Kumar's stature can play around with a writer like me. This is not only unjust, but also a cunning plot that he has hatched to make sure my project doesn't take off."

Rekkha has now filed a complaint against Kumar with Association of Motion Pictures and TV Programme Producers (AMPTPP) and CINTA. "I have full faith in these organisations, and hope that justice will be meted out me."

Gender bender

Apart from this project, Modi has also been busy working on a new show for Star Plus, which will air next month. The yet untitled show revolves around six girls and their brother.

"Thestory is about the preference given to the boy over the girls. It's about how the dreams and ambitions of the daughters are overlooked, while the boy is always pampered. I am very close to the subject and passionate about it."

The writer adds that she won't breathe easy till Kumar gives back her title and admits he's copied her concept. "I want my title back, and I will fight till the very end to make sure no writer is taken for a similar ride."

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/393007

Edited by Manoj_Tina fan - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Jem4Himesh thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=414985&T PN=2

Please post all articles in that thread ONLY.

Thanks