Proud to be part of 100 crore films-Bebo answers to Piggy

Posted: 9 years ago
Meeting Kareena Kapoor Khan, after a hiatus (mine) of nearly 3 years, is refreshing. She is balancing 16 hour work days with brand shoots, travel and plenty of catching up. Singham Returns has reasserted her popularity with audiences, and reports of no films in hand' are fast evaporating. Radiant, and always beautiful in a confident, candid way, AK catches up with Kareena for a candid chat exclusively for Pinkvilla.

Another 100 plus crore, a grand walk down the ramp at LFW, travel and shoots! You clearly have more work and lesser hours in the day!

Yeah it's been busy but its been fun. I was travelling, was in London but that was just 2 days for Saif's birthday. Then I was at Madame Tussauds, and went for a UNICEF event. But now, I will take a break after my birthday. Till 21st (September) I am busy, but after that I am travelling for a month.

You've been very busy with 'Singham Returns', and the film has become a huge hit. Plus you've travelled to meet Saif for his birthday, but overall you've both been occupied with work.

Yes, also because Saif has shot 3 films! And he has been away from home for 9 months. When I was shooting for Singham Returns', he was in the USA shooting for Happy Ending'. Currently, he has been shooting for Phantom. So we've not had time at all! In fact, we met on his birthday for 2 days, and then he has been shooting and for the next 20 days, I want to wrap up work related to all my endorsements. I want to finish everything, and then (big smile) travel for a month!

The travel bit sounds amazing, but 20 days to wrap up endorsements related work. You're clearly an actor with the maximum number of endorsements right?

I don't count how many others have! As long as I have my brands and my bank balance is full, I am very happy! I don't keep track of how many who has (laughs).

Do you pick and choose what you will endorse? Are there any dos and donts?

I mean I don't endorse non vegetarian food, tobacco and alcohol. I've asked many times but that I won't do. And also, I won't endorse lingerie, now that I am married, but who in India endorses lingerie! It's not like we have Victoria's Secret here! And my brands have been very loyal to me, I have had five year associations and some 10 year associations too. Head and Shoulders shampoo has been with me since the beginning of my career.

Singham Returns' has done very well, but before it's release there was a lot of speculation if the film will work, and if you will remain popular with the audiences. How do you react to that?

Of course, like I said, everyone has so many questions! I don't know why we take movie making and films so seriously! It's probably because the films that work are not the serious ones. We try to make tall claims and say that our movies are like rocket science, but it's not. Its supposed to entertain the audience, and that's what Singham Returns' did and that was the whole idea of Rohit, Ajay and me coming together. At the narration level, they had told me that the film will be a masala movie, it will be entertaining and that's exactly what it promised. That's what my part promised and it was fun. After doing serious roles in Heroine' and Satyagraha', I didn't want to do a serious film! I wanted to do a film, which was an out and out masala commercial potential blockbuster because before that, I had tried my hand at a serious role in Heroine. So it was intentional to do like a Rohit Shetty film that was in the fun space.

Clearly the married heroine clich doesn't hold up to you.

I don't know you know, I honestly don't believe in these clichs. If I ever thought that being married would affect my career, I would have never married. Everyone told me don't get married, it's not good, career doesn't happen. But I've read some wonderful scripts in the last couple of months, and I don't think there's anything wrong. Nobody ever questions me around my married status. A producer or a director like a Kabir Khan or a Rohit Shetty, have never brought that up, and they are reputed directors in the film industry. If it doesn't bother them, why should it bother anyone else?

I have to say one thing, I am where I am because my fans are very loyal to me. And this I know, they are very loyal. I know how they fight for me, what they do and that's what matters to me honestly and nothing else. A star and an actor is known only because of their fan base. Nothing Else Counts. No amount of criticism, no amount of PR, no amount of success stories or failure stories. Nothing nothing nothing. And I am unfazed by everything. I am one such actor, I don't know how but I am like this.

On the fan base, you've loads of them reading up on you on Pinkvilla. Some might have found it surprising that you made a statement saying a woman is complete with a man by her side. Do you think that holds true, today?

I feel complete with my man by my side. I said I feel complete with Saif by my side, I am always incomplete without him. I don't think it can define my identity. I am happily married today, but I have my own identity, I am a very independent woman. I travel the globe on my own, if I may say, without even a bodyguard. I recently visited the Ajmer Sharif dargah and despite my sister and friends telling me that I should carry security along, I went with one security guard. I am the kind of actress who doesn't even have an entourage. I just have my hair and make up team. I hear actresses go to most places with 10-20 people! I push my own trolley at the airport, I travel on my own when I go to visit my husband when he is abroad. I am a fiercely independent girl! I know my responsibilities as a woman so I would never say that a man completes a a woman. But fact is, yes I am incomplete without my husband because we are apart a lot.

I have seen a whole lot of new actresses who idolize you, and have admired your work. You have done quality films in the past, and have also delivered many blockbusters...

Yeah but suddenly, now I see that everyone is looking down upon commercial cinema! Blockbusters or masala hits. Please! I don't think anybody should do that, it's very wrong. Commercial, masala films , the song and dance, is what we are. We should be quite proud of that, and not really try to ape the West. We should live within our boundaries, and know what films work and what don't. Yes, you must break boundaries and you must try and do something different, that's great. But it's upsetting that suddenly commercial films, the bread and butter is looked down upon. I get upset with that. Why not be a part of a big commercial film? To me, Chameli is as special as a Bodyguard and a Ra one. Jab We Met as special as Singham Returns.

In a similar vein, Priyanka recently stated that a blockbuster, like Krishh 2 or Don, do not belong to the leading lady. Do you agree with that?

I don't agree, every film that you work on is yours. There's no leading man without a leading lady. That's why we are called leading ladies. I don't want to comment on anyone's opinion, we all have freedom of speech and everyone's views are different. But I don't believe in that, I am very proud to be part of 100 crore films, and we have all contributed to their success, we've worked hard on these films. Why should you not say they are your films?

'Singham Returns' is as much a part of my career as Satyagraha. So is Gori Tere Pyar Mein, and Chameli and Heroine, and Dev and all my films. I am not the kind of person who will pick and choose. My 100 crore films are mine but my flops are also mine! (smiles). Everyone wants their film to be 100 crores, no one makes a film for it to collect 10 crores. You get upset when that happens. There is a leading lady, some parts are big, some roles are small. The length of a role doesn't define an actor, it's what you do in a film that matters.

These reports have been around for a while. Karan and you are supposed to have had a rift, although both of you deny it. Is that true?

Not at all! I don't understand how this rumour started in the first place. I think it's vicious minds within the film industry that spread stories of a rift between Karan and me. Karan and me can never fall out! He is a friend, he is a brother to me, he was at my wedding, we are at each other's homes. Like I said, one film not working cant deter a friendship of so many years!

The one film here, are you referring to Gori Tere Pyar Mein?

Yeah, of course, otherwise why else would there be a rift? Ek picture flop ho jati hain, does that mean I shouldn't be friends with someone? That's so bad, that's so wrong! Who does that?

Soha and Kunal have announced their engagement. Is the family planning a lavish wedding?

All of us have been incredibly busy! In fact I am having dinner with Soha and Kunal tonight, I haven't met them since they got engaged! She just sent me a text message, asking when do I get home, and I just replied that I will be a little late but we will have dinner and must catch up. And I don't even have a present! It's just been a whirlwind, I haven't had the time. I will pick up a good birthday present for her, her birthday is in October.

There are quite a few birthdays coming up in the family now..

Mine is on 21 September, which I am very excited and then travel for a month. I return and begin shooting for Kabir's film (Bajrangi Bhaijaan). Before that, I want some time with Saif.

One last question, I know that you are reading plenty of scripts. You've signed Kabir's film. What sort of a role or film are you contemplating next? It's not nice to not have you in a film every year.

You'll have me in a big film every year, like I promised! Okay, I have liked a great role. I am ready for that, I am very excited about that. But I can't say more than that for now. But I'd also like to state that I really I don't think that acting in a heroine oriented film is the only way out. It's like a crusade, like Kareena now has to do a heroine oriented film. I have done a heroine oriented film. Suddenly everybody feels a heroine should carry a film on her shoulders, but I did try that. I did it before,I also did it in Heroine. However the film did, my performance was appreciated. In fact, it also did fairly well, it's just that the expectations being my film, was that it has to make almost a 100 crores!

That pressure is always there, and I don't why I always get that pressure. So I am not going to do a heroine-oriented subject till I don't breathe that role. I loved the heroine' script, the idea of a schizophrenic actress at the peak of her career that begins to go downhill and how she chooses to just get away. I thought it was great, so I did it. But I have to feel that I want to do that part, that's important.

And what's wrong that I enjoy working with Ajay, and Salman, and Shahrukh? Isn't that every actresses' dream or is it just mine? The good thing is everyone today is doing great work. But not working with the Khans, or not working with the leading male stars, might work for someone else, that's fine. But it doesn't work for me. People expect to see me in a big, entertaining film. I know what my fans want, what my pluses and minuses are, and after 15 years, everyone must credit me with that much!Edited by PC-Maniac - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DanceUntilWeDie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Yeah but suddenly, now I see that everyone is looking down upon commercial cinema! Blockbusters or masala hits. Please! I don't think anybody should do that, it's very wrong. Commercial, masala films , the song and dance, is what we are. We should be quite proud of that, and not really try to ape the West. We should live within our boundaries, and know what films work and what don't. Yes, you must break boundaries and you must try and do something different, that's great. But it's upsetting that suddenly commercial films, the bread and butter is looked down upon. I get upset with that. Why not be a part of a big commercial film? To me, Chameli is as special as a Bodyguard and a Ra one. Jab We Met as special as Singham Returns.In a similar vein, Priyanka recently stated that a blockbuster, like Krishh 2 or Don, do not belong to the leading lady. Do you agree with that?I don't agree, every film that you work on is yours. There's no leading man without a leading lady. That's why we are called leading ladies. I don't want to comment on anyone's opinion, we all have freedom of speech and everyone's views are different. But I don't believe in that, I am very proud to be part of 100 crore films, and we have all contributed to their success, we've worked hard on these films. Why should you not say they are your films?'Singham Returns' is as much a part of my career as Satyagraha. So is Gori Tere Pyar Mein, and Chameli and Heroine, and Dev and all my films. I am not the kind of person who will pick and choose. My 100 crore films are mine but my flops are also mine! (smiles). Everyone wants their film to be 100 crores, no one makes a film for it to collect 10 crores. You get upset when that happens. There is a leading lady, some parts are big, some roles are small. The length of a role doesn't define an actor, it's what you do in a film that matters.[B][/B]
Wonder what has happened to Bebo these days.

Lalalalost thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I have to say one thing, I am where I am because my fans are very loyal to me. And this I know, they are very loyal. I know how they fight for me, what they do and that's what matters to me honestly and nothing else. A star and an actor is known only because of their fan base. Nothing Else Counts. No amount of criticism, no amount of PR, no amount of success stories or failure stories. Nothing nothing nothing.  

I love this part  ❤️ 

Edited by BindaasReena - 9 years ago
Yankees thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
"My 100 crore films are mine but my flops are also mine! (smiles). Everyone wants their film to be 100 crores, no one makes a film for it to collect 10 crores."

LOL but they would have made 100 crores with or WITHOUT you Kareena.

Originally posted by: Yankees

"My 100 crore films are mine but my flops are also mine! (smiles). Everyone wants their film to be 100 crores, no one makes a film for it to collect 10 crores."

LOL but they would have made 100 crores with or WITHOUT you Kareena.

You got it completely wrong.
And what's wrong that I enjoy working with Ajay, and Salman, and Shahrukh?

Hope She is in Rohit's next and she just revealed it unintentionally. 😆
Bazigar thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Actress to be relevant and in news do cat fight meow meow meeeow meeeow .    😆

More than fans are loyal, these stars knew how to manipulate emotion of their fan so that they can fight with other, defend their star .

Star war lol :)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEvvRfuVk30[/YOUTUBE]
Edited by Bazigar - 9 years ago
Yankees thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: PC-Maniac

You got it completely wrong.

I read what she said. 'Leading Ladies' should be changed to 'Leading Flowerpots'. She was useless in Singham.
briahna thumbnail
😊
you right there my bimbo bebo...am indeed proud of your 100 hits.🤗 The fame and the name you have given me as your loyal fan  - from a maniac, to a mental, delusional, blind, loser, psychopath, crazy  b1tch - proud moment for me indeed!

today i am still defending your sorry ass with help of some 3rd grade actresses pc, vidyas and deepikas.

Edited by briahna - 9 years ago