Fanaah: A Paranormal Extravaganza

soni595 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago
Hey everyone, just wanted to share my excitement and analysis after watching all three episodes. It's only the third episode of Fanaah, however, it already has engulfed me in the intriguing, mysterious and gripping cast and storyline. Quite honestly, I had very low expectations of Fanaah as I was skeptical of whether the makers could do justice to this genre which is so rarely forayed into on Indian Television, however, historical bloopers aside, the show is fleshy and flashy.

I also love the fact that there are multiple protagonists on this show which is also a rare occasion on Indian Television and if in the rare case there are more than two protagonists, those are either caricatures or have no individual identity and just made to suit other character's needs. This is different because each character appears to have their own back story and their own identity.

The manner in which the time periods are intertwined is also an interesting theme. During the first episode, initially I thought that fight sequence between Vidhyut and Vivaan was in present day, but I wonder if that is the future instead? If it was present day, then that would mean either we would spend a lot of time with flashbacks -- which I don't think will be the case and move straight to the culmination of the love story/triangle. Since this is a show with seasons, I wonder if the end of the first season will be that first sequence.

Preet: I like the way they share her story in snippets and not all together as it retains that aura of mystery. It was heart-wrenching to see her walk down the hallway so desolate and then Anshuman's bloody tears with that haunting version of 'samjhavan' playing in the background. This was definitely not a pair I had imagined but definitely the most interesting of the lot so far.  I wonder if there is something else to her plan besides breaking Vivaan's heart as it seems like she invested way too much time and energy if her plan was only to have someone else reenact her own heart-break. She could have easily adopted an older girl/befriend another girl and try and do the same thing. I wonder if this has to do with her own powers. I'd love to see interactions between Preman -- their dyanamic seems interesting.

On a side note, although Anita looks ravishing in her outfits, I really wish they were atleast somewhat more appropriate to the time period she's shown to be living in. For instance, even a simple sari or something to make it look more convincing.

Anshuman: Something gives me the inkling that Anshuman may have been a vampire for a very long time way (and not after meeting Preet) before he met Preet but maybe whilst executing some plan of his with her -- witch powers, actually, developed real feelings for her. I feel Anshuman would be a very scary vampire because of his calm demeanor you just never know what he's thinking. I wonder though, how, he will regain his powers if he just stays in the greenhouse with no blood. He obviously cannot take Vivaan as he gets transformed when he is a teenager, so, will it be his brother-in-law/sister -- so double betrayal for Vivaan.

Vivaan: His simple and positive attitude is definitely heart-warming but a little weird how he believed everything Preet told him. He also forgot about his "tunu" and his friend after that night.  I like the way his story is developing with Dhara as well though she strikes me as a little weird with no sense of self-preservation and almost like a robot. Case in point when she just sits there lifelessly with her surroundings on fire. I guess she is a robot being manipulated by Preet but it still was weird.

Now, I'm looking forward to seeing Vidhyut's and Ira's back story. :P

I wonder if present day will see them all enrolling into the same college? I don't see how else they are going to meet together as each of them seem to have different powers and agendas. Unless all of them want to hunt down Anshuman and thus come together for vengeance for making them vampires/deceiving them. 

It seems like each character is connected through a bond of 'betrayal' and 'vengeance.' Not sure about Dhara/Avni but each character's new form seems to stem from them being betrayed. I like that these characters are grey and hopefully Avni will also have some grey too.

Sorry for the long essay, after such a long time I have been truly excited for an indian show and couldn't restrain myself lol.

Keep smiling,
Soni
Edited by soni595 - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shibz thumbnail
Hi.. An extremely good analysis..Beautifully written..Totally loved reading through..
Some of your questions may have been answered in today's episode.
I agree with you on a lot of things.. with a few I have my own doubts..

The opening sequence that we saw is the present and we are currently in the past.. I guess the entire series is going to be the flashback story till the fight sequence which may culminate towards the end.. since in the present Avni's friends are searching for the moonstone to save Avni's true love(Vivaan or Vidhyut)

Anshuman has been a vampire even before he betrayed Preet..because he was able to turn Iravati into a vampire somewhere in the 1940's and Preet's story happens after that..

From the 3rd episode I am liking Fanaah for Fanaah..It has gotten more interesting.. Thanks to Anshuman and Preet..
Besides.. I like the direction..definitely ignoring Historical bloopers..since in the History..even vampires did not exist..
Edited by shibz - 9 years ago
simran422 thumbnail
Great Post!
Loved it and very well written!
This show is getting interesting..