Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TheWatcher thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: Cotswolds

But TheWatcher.. Hearing all those sins.. Karna hung his head in shame. He did not try to refute nor was he upset due to krishna's blatant lie. This goes on to prove krishna words were true.

So you also agree here that Krishna does have a tendency to over praise or heap unworthy praise.. That is precisely the point of other members.. 

My apologies - I forgot to add 'IF' in my last sentence.

Karna had no time to refute, Arjuna got angry and started firing shafts at him, I don't expect him to go on a debate rather than baffle Arjuna's shafts.     

Just because someone did not refute someone's claims, doesn't make it true.
Edited by TheWatcher - 9 years ago
Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
this will probably be my last post in this thread since i think there is not much left to discuss anymore things are just going round and round in circles

All i wanted to say is my true and at least as per me my unbiased opinion on karna

i dont view karna as a traditional hero for me he is grey shaded character who has negative sides to himself as well as positive side

he begins as an anti hero who is a capable warrior and wants to prove that to the world in the process gets involved with unrighteous people .And then starts his journey towards being one of the antagonists from just an anti hero.He is involved in some despicable acts  and seems to only have a negative side to his character which gets highly enhanced in dyut sabha

but then one gets to see a different side to this character in his conversation with surya dev and then indra dev .A person who is always ready to fulfill his vow no matter what even if it means to give away his life .At this point he doesn't seem like just a villain but perhaps some one who is capable of being better .Then the truth of his identity gets revealed to him the very people he hated turn out to be his brother's and he is offered to lead those enemies now brothers and marry their wife and rule over them.And now this guy who has committed despicable acts against his enemies cum brothers ,whom he always wanted to kill and hurt all of sudden refuses this offer.He thinks that  his enemies cum brother's are righteous and deserve to win then he further he  even promises to spare their life(4 of them)

at this point its clear he is just not an antagonist or a villain he is so much more than that a character who can be loved and hated ,criticized and appreciated

which makes him the most interesting character for me and one of my fav

and i think the same thing applies to many other characters as well.they can appreciated for something and criticized for some other

for example like yudhistir (since urmila pointed out to him)yes i do criticize him for dyut sabha but despite that he is one if my favs',Because certain other things he does overpowers what he did in dyut sabha for me

some of them are

1)the way he takes care of dhrit and gandhari after the war

2)He is the only one who realizes the destruction this war has caused and laments it

3)He was ambitious but he knew when to keep his ambition on this side and think of bigger things something that dury couldn't which is why he sent the peace proposal

4)Out of all panadavs he is the one who comes up with strategies on his own hence the most intelligent

personally i don't hate any one in mahabharat for me all character's can be appreciated for some acts and criticized for other acts

here ends my last post as for other members enjoyed discussing with you guys hope you guys enjoy further discussions😊
Edited by Sabhayata - 9 years ago
Cotswolds thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: TheWatcher

My apologies - I forgot to add 'IF' in my last sentence.

Karna had no time to refute, Arjuna got angry and started firing shafts at him, I don't expect him to go on a debate rather than baffle Arjuna's shafts.     

Just because someone did not refute someone's claims, doesn't make it true.

You got a point there.. πŸ˜›

I think we are on same side on this one.. I too believe in Karna military prowess and kmg clearly shows how Karna had an upper hand even after his chariot stuck and even after he was finding it difficult to summon divyastra. He still managed to make arjuna unconscious.. πŸ‘

I just thought that citation by krishna does not validate anything.. The battle amply proves his great skills, bravery, strict adherence to warrior code of conduct.⭐️
Cotswolds thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Well said Sabhayata.. πŸ‘ Agree with all your points..
And now I know why you are also called Yudhi's fan no 1.. πŸ˜†
TheWatcher thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Cotswolds

You got a point there.. πŸ˜›

I think we are on same side on this one.. I too believe in Karna military prowess and kmg clearly shows how Karna had an upper hand even after his chariot stuck and even after he was finding it difficult to summon divyastra. He still managed to make arjuna unconscious.. πŸ‘

I just thought that citation by krishna does not validate anything.. The battle amply proves his great skills, bravery, strict adherence to warrior code of conduct.⭐️

Well yeah, I just want to say that just Krishna's words do not validate anything be it his sin count or praising, incidence have to be applied rather than solely and brainlessly depending on a dialogue.
Edited by TheWatcher - 9 years ago
smrth thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Varaali,
Once again an accurate explanation. It's foolish to 'assume' his words at their face value when they are spoken in an apparent contradiction of his known aversions. And equally foolish to 'assume' them loaded with ulterior motives when slapped straight on the 'face'.  The answers, in both cases, are obvious 'context', intent and purport ( explaining this umpteenth time and with numerous examples, like the one you cited). Which is what we- or anyone with open eyes- can derive . From the FACTUAL description of the circumstances and his deportment; the final denouncement thrown in a rage (addressed to K not A) - a reply to Karna's evasive plea - 'kva te Dharmas tada gatah' - with utmost contempt.🀒

since now we are addicted on 'wasting our time' (blame this time is on you, why did you bring such 'compelling' example?!πŸ˜›) and this time it's a pleasure to 'waste', while responding your sensible analysis.πŸ˜† Here is my rejoinder..πŸ˜ƒ

"The instruction received by them hath been equal. Bhima, however, is possessed of greater might, while the son of Dhritarashtra is possessed of greater skill and hath laboured more. If he were to fight fairly, Bhimasena will never succeed in winning the victory.."

what is he meaning here? Praise of 'Duryodhan's prowess'? That he is better than 'best' ?! πŸ˜•- Again caution is the need of the hour. Yudi's trust is not to go in vain. The deception is also in order, for the chief culprit cannot go unpunished with unfair advantage of Mother's protective coat, he has left no choice and hence even deception is not ruled out.

Suyodhana is accomplished, he is a hero; he is again firmly resolved. 
This old verse uttered by Usanas hath been heard by us. Listen to me as I recite it to thee with its true sense and meaning! 'Those amongst the remnant of a hostile force broken flying away for life, that rally and come back to the fight, should always be feared, for they are firmly resolved and have but one purpose! 

Is this a 'divine praise' or 'caution' ?! πŸ˜²
But perhaps let us not digress, even in our chosen leisure of 'wastefulness'! πŸ˜†

@ Cotswold, fine illustration of the point. Thanks for citing Shalya.

Rest of the long-winding, fandom; Skipped.

Edited by smrth - 9 years ago
Maverick_me thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

"Parimita Patikat Daarbhavat Anantapatikam Daasyam Iva Tava Astu Iti"
I am not finding the verse above ..Is it in C.E?
Sema pl help..I don't know how come I missed this πŸ˜•
DrShindeSweety thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: varaali

Here's my waste of time too...

I don't know if this point has come before...but if you take into consideration Krishna's dialogues in the whole epic, weighing them against the circumstances they were spoken, there are several several instances where it is clear that Krishna doesn't mean what he is actually saying - or what his words are implying.

Very well said!
Krishn remains an enigma and 'apparently' appears to contradict himself.  But if one gauges his true personality and intentions, it is pretty easy to separate the rice from the chaff; and the truth from the bluff.
In that way, I think he is the most consistent persona (apart from Draupadi and Vidura) in his thought processes.