Weekly Discussion Topic #1: Bhishma/Karna - Who got deprived the most?

Quantum-Dot thumbnail
Posted: 2 months ago

Hello all, 

This is first weekly discussion topic in Mythological Masti forum. Here I'll post a topic (in the form of a question?) from our hindu mythology every week. Hoping to have some meaningful mythological discussions. 

IMG_1708436012040.png

Since mythology is considered a component of religion, and can be a sensitive topic for most people, with the characters often being revered, you must follow the rules of Mythological Masti Forum to maintain a peaceful atmosphere in our forum.

IMG_1708436012040.png

As the title suggests, the topic of this week is:

Between Bhishma and Karna, whom do you think was being deprived the most in Mahabharat? 

IMG_1708436012040.png

Is it Bhishma, who took oath to not become the king of Hastinapur and remain unmarried throughout his life for his father's happiness (through Satyavati)?

Or is it Karna, who inspite of being the eldest Kaunteya and Pandava, struggled throughout his life to establish himself as an outstanding archer and being humiliated as a Sutputra, while he was a Kshatriya himself?

IMG_1708436012040.png

Share your views and engage in meaningful discussions with your fellow members.

Edited by Quantum-Dot - 2 months ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Quantum-Dot thumbnail

Inviting our mytho lovers to participate in this  discussion and share your thoughts.

RamAayeHain thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Quantum-Dot

Inviting our mytho lovers to participate in this  discussion and share your thoughts.

Ohh niiiice topic to discuss

Thanks for taggingsmiley31will share my thoughts soon

Quantum-Dot thumbnail

Loving2Missing2 thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Hello all, 

This is first weekly discussion topic in Mythological Masti forum. Here I'll post a topic (in the form of a question?) from our hindu mythology every week. Hoping to have some meaningful mythological discussions. 

IMG_1708436012040.png

Since mythology is considered a component of religion, and can be a sensitive topic for most people, with the characters often being revered, you must follow the rules of Mythological Masti Forum to maintain a peaceful atmosphere in our forum.

IMG_1708436012040.png

As the title suggests, the topic of this week is:

Between Bhishma and Karna, whom do you think was being deprived the most in Mahabharat? 

IMG_1708436012040.png

Is it Bhishma, who took oath to not become the king of Hastinapur and remain unmarried throughout his life for his father's happiness (through Satyavati)?

Or is it Karna, who inspite of being the eldest Kaunteya and Pandava, struggled throughout his life to establish himself as an outstanding archer and being humiliated as a Sutputra, while he was a Kshatriya himself?

IMG_1708436012040.png

Share your views and engage in meaningful discussions with your fellow members.

I feel it's Karna who is most deprived. 

Bheeshma takes his own conscious decision, his oath. So the consequences are the effect of the same decision/action. When Bheeshma took the oath, he followed his Putradharma and renounced his Rajdharma. When both Satyavati's sons die without giving the kingdom the rightful successor, he gives more importance to his words ( his oath) than the betterment of the Kingdom. When things keep on going wrong one after the other, he doesn't take a firm righteous position rather hides behind his oath of being loyal to Hastinapur throne.

Whereas, Karna struggles his entire life to gain his rightful acknowledgement. The Who am I question! Unfortunately, some acknowledgement is given by Duryodhana and he gets bound to the evil side. Why did none of the Pandavas acclaim his archery skills? Why Kunti did not confide in any seniors or tell her sons or tell Karna himself that he is her eldest son?  Kunti tells him about his rightful origin only just before the battle. Following his Rajdharma, he stays with Duryodhana yet following his Putradharma, he promises her that she will have her five Pandavas. The play of words is very important here. Karna is Kounteya but not Pandav because Kunti was not married to Pandu then. So in a way he is granting his own death to her. He becomes the true Mrutyunjay!

Pete15rogmourey thumbnail

It's been a while since i read Mahabharat so tagging  the people who live and.breathe Mahabharat 

FlauntPessimism thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Pete15rogmourey

It's been a while since i read Mahabharat so tagging  the people who live and.breathe Mahabharat 

Kuchh bhi yaar 

But has been some time since I visited here 

Thanks for tag

Pete15rogmourey thumbnail

Originally posted by: FlauntPessimism

Kuchh bhi yaar 

Nope i was telling the truth smiley14 You know a lot of minor details about MB

But has been some time since I visited here 

Thanks for tag

Welcomesmiley1

FlauntPessimism thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

I won't say either was deprived.

Karna had actually no right on the crown, he was a Kaunteya but not a son of Pandu or someone from Kuru Vansh. At max he could be considered Kaneen santaan of Pandu who don't have rights not at all in presence of Kshetraj Santaan's like Yudhisthir and team. So why shall he have anything to inherit from that family? He got a decent family to.adopt who gave everything to him.

Bheeshm denied the throne on his own and took the celibacy vow so as to ensure his father marries girl of her choice, he wasn't forced to do that 

Still if we have to select one. It shall be Bheeshm, since he actually let go something unlike Karna who.didnt

Tag others please 

RainOfDew thumbnail

Originally posted by: Pete15rogmourey

I havent read MB too since very longsmiley36

But i will soon post my review on this topic