Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
Souro, where did you experience it? I see a 7.5 in Kathmandu. 
K.Universe. thumbnail
That's huge! Hope there are no casualties, even though it is impossible to have collapsed buildings and no casualties.I am seeing in the news that most of northern India felt the tremors.
enigmatic_zephy thumbnail
Whoever has any idea about kolkata,
i have to travel to the place - what is there to do, good eatery..

staying at park street i believe...

n anything famous/interesting/value for money to buy ?
Padfoot_Prongs thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: K.Universe.

That's huge! Hope there are no casualties, even though it is impossible to have collapsed buildings and no casualties.I am seeing in the news that most of northern India felt the tremors.

yeah from Baroda to whole NE states. the whole area felt tremors. In Delhi, two tremors were felt but in Nepal there are nearly 20 tremors since morning.
souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: enigmatic_zephy

Whoever has any idea about kolkata,

i have to travel to the place - what is there to do, good eatery..

staying at park street i believe...

n anything famous/interesting/value for money to buy ?

Lets talk about what to eat, that is most important. How many days will you be spending there?
I'm giving you a list:
Good restaurants on Park Street:
1. Mocambo - They serve continental as well as Indian, but famous for continental. Their menu and recipes for continental is more like what continental used to look like 100 years ago. You can try their angels on horseback, lobster thermidor or any of the fish items.
2. Peter Cat - Continental and Indian. Famous for their Chello kebab. They also have special items for the day, which are usually pretty good.
3. Magnolia/ Mags - Continental and Indian. Famous for traditional continental fare, but Mocambo is more famous.
4. Moulin Rouge - Continental and Indian. Known for traditional continental, once again, Mocambo is more famous.
5. Marco Polo - Continental, Indian and Chinese. I found it pretty good. Don't know of any signature dish.
6. Flame & Grill - North Indian, kebabs especially
7. Flurys - Cakes, pastries, sandwiches

For authentic Bengali food you can try out Bhojohori Manna (several outlets are there, nearest one from Park Street will be at Esplanade) or Kewpie's (Elgin Road).

For Kolkata biriyani there are several restaurants, but people nowadays say that Arsalan is the best. Arsalan has several outlets, the nearest from Park Street will be the Park Circus outlet I think. If you have biriyani, have it with chaap or rezala.

You can also try out kathi roll. There are lots of outlets for that, a few of those are on Park Street as well.

Other things to try out:
Kasha mangsho with luchi, moghlai parota, kochuri, ghugni, singara (samosa but the filling is different than their north Indian counterpart), bengali sweets and mishti/ laal doi, jhal muri, phuchka, various types of chops, fish fry, chicken pakora.

Just in case if you visit during mango season, try out Himsagar mangoes, one of the most popular variant of Bengal. I'm pretty sure you'll find it better than the overhyped Hapoos. 😆 Or you can visit my house and tell my mom to let you taste the completely organic, tree-ripe mangoes from our garden, Amrapali and Mallika mangoes, which are extremely fragrant and sweet and the best mangoes you can possibly get. ðŸ˜›

Things to see:
The easiest things to visit from Park Street will be Victoria Memorial, Indian Museum, Shahid Minar and Maidan. Nothing to see in Maidan per se, but you can just laze around watching people play football/ cricket or stroll around. You can also go for a stroll near the Ganga at Princep Ghat or Millenium Park. There are other stuff to see as well, like Marble Palace, Jain temple, etc. but a travel guide will give you an exhaustive list of those places.

Things to do:
No idea. Just eat, drink and roam around I guess.

Things to buy:
If it is handicraft you are looking for, there are emporiums of both Central govt. as well as West Bengal govt.
Edited by souro - 9 years ago
K.Universe. thumbnail

Originally posted by: MissBahanji

yeah from Baroda to whole NE states. the whole area felt tremors. In Delhi, two tremors were felt but in Nepal there are nearly 20 tremors since morning.

Another 6.7 hit just now.

Usually aftershocks aren't this intense. Looks like a lot of seismic activity going on in that area.
souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: K.Universe.

Another 6.7 hit just now.

Usually aftershocks aren't this intense. Looks like a lot of seismic activity going on in that area.

At first I thought I'm feeling a bit dizzy, then I realised we're having another earthquake. But the one yesterday was pretty intense, this one not so much.
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Aftershocks felt in Delhi too but not as intense. First team for relief work  on its way to Kathmandu.
charminggenie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
I think the aftershocks will continue for couple of days . The scale of causalities be massive in Nepal and Tibet is hit too badly but doubt that would make the press. 
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Mean while in Baltimore...running new season of Ferguson is a Riot.😕