Was Abhimanyu really 16 years old when he died?

Posted: 9 years ago
Many a times this question or rather a statement has been used - 7 warriors killed a 16 year old kid-, but was Abhimanyu really 16 years old?, I am not going to give an answer unless the calculations has been done by citations. Below is the calculation of his true age.

He was born before Khandav-Dahan, there is a citation which introduces every son of Draupadi along with a nice description of Abhimanyu.

Here is when Abhimanyu was born ( This citation is before Khandav-Dahan and before Arjuna got his Gandeev)

..." Then Subhadra, the favourite sister of Kesava, gave birth to an illustrious son, like Puloma's daughter, (the queen of heaven) bringing forth Jayanta. And the son that Subhadra brought forth was of long arms, broad chest, and eyes as large as those of a bull. That hero and oppressor of foes came to be called Abhimanyu. And the son of Arjuna, that grinder of foes and bull among men, was called Abhimanyu because he was fearless and wrathful. And that great warrior was begotten upon the daughter of the Satwata race by Dhananjaya, like fire produced in a sacrifice from within the sami wood by the process of rubbing. Upon the birth of this child, Yudhishthira, the powerful son of Kunti, gave away unto Brahmanas ten thousand cows and coins of gold. The child from his earliest years became the favourite of Vasudeva and of his father and uncles, like the moon of all the people of the world. Upon his birth, Krishna performed the usual rites of infancy. The child began to grow up like the Moon of the bright fortnight. That grinder of foes soon became conversant with the Vedas and acquired from his father the science of weapon both celestial and human, consisting of four branches and ten divisions."...

Now Abhimanyu has been born before Khandav Dahan, the next Parva describes the Khandav-Dahan.

Now, below Dhritsashtra says that Arjuna carried Gandeeva for 3 and 30 years

..." Three and thirty years have passed away since the time, when Arjuna, having invited Agni, gratified him at Khandava, vanquishing all the celestials. We have never heard of his defeat anywhere, O child. Like the case of Indra, victory is always Arjuna's, who hath for his charioteer in battle Hrishikesa, endued with the same character and position. We hear that the two Krishnas on the same car and the stringed Gandiva,--these three forces,--have been united together. As regards ourselves, we have not a bow of that kind, or a warrior like Arjuna, or a
charioteer like Krishna "...

Arjuna got Gandeev during/after Khandav-Dahan and Abhimanyu was born before it. Dhritashtra says that Arjuna has been carrying Gandeev for 33 years. So, Abhimanyu was atleast 33 years old when he died, not 16. Yes, he was comparitvely smaller to his opponents but in no way he was 16.

Correct me If I am wrong.

Edited by TheWatcher - 9 years ago
YES abhimanyu was between 32 to 35 years...
BUT in every sense he was a lad before the so called "MAHARATHIS"
Edited by frappie - 9 years ago
Even I strongly believe that Abhimanyu was 30-32+ years old at the time of his death. My "very brief" study regarding MB chronology makes me say this. Also, Medha had already provided several sources supporting this before.

But I also believe that when compared to the age of the people who fought him, he was a mere lad, who can be called a "young teenager" when compared to them.
I think it is a bit difficult for people in this age to believe a 30+ person as a young lad (which he definitely was according to that age, where people lived upto 150-200+ on average). So, the general public tend to refer to him as a 16 year old teenager. 😊
Edited by Sukanya_Datta - 9 years ago
Oh he was 30+ đŸ˜Či always thaught that he was only 16. I never ever knew this.thnx for the info thewatcher 😛
But still he was killed in a very unfair manner 😭 whether he was 16 or 32,I know I'll cry when he will die 😭
Abhimanyu definitely was not 16 years old. I feel this has been a addition or an misconception by the kalyugis. Abhimanyu was definitely born before Rahsuya Yajna, cheerharan, and by the citations even earlier! Then how come, he was 16.. He was Atleast 32 years old. The calculations of the war dates and the epic calculations too prove this. But, this makes no difference in his unfair and brutal murder. Arjuna bheem and Duryodhan Karna and all were 80,70,65 etc etc. And in Dwapar Yug, 32 years is definitely a young age. Similar to today's teenage.
But, there is a catch in KMG as well.

I cannot turn a blind eye for things which defy my logic, Abhimanyu was an ansh/child of Lord Soma - who himself in KMG says that he cannot let his son be apart from him for more than 16 years.

..." And he who was known as the mighty Varchas, the son of Soma, became Abhimanyu of wonderful deeds, the son of Arjuna. And before his incarnation, O king, the god Soma had said these words to the celestials, 'I cannot give (part with) my son. He is dearer to me than life itself. Let this be the compact and let it be not transgressed. The destruction of the Asuras on earth is the work of the celestials, and, therefore, it is our work as well. Let this Varchas, therefore, go thither, but let him not stay there long. Nara, whose companion is Narayana, will be born as Indra's son and indeed, will be known as Arjuna, the mighty son of Pandu. This boy of mine shall be his son and become a mighty car warrior in his boyhood. And let him, ye best of immortals, stay on earth for sixteen years. And when he attaineth to his sixteenth year, the battle shall take place in which all who are born of your portions shall achieve the destruction of mighty warriors... "

Above Lord Soma says that Abhimanyu will die on his 16th year, he gives a rough over view of his death which includes Chakravyuha.

If one can use logic and argue about Abhimanyu being 33 years, another one can too argue about Abhimanyu being 16 years old as said by Lord Soma himself. Both of the points are strong but I always tend go with the logic.
Edited by TheWatcher - 9 years ago
Ok so I must admit that I don't know that much - if that's the case than how come he didn't have any children and Uttara was expecting during the war! As lord krishna himself save that last vansh? 
Even, I had this doubt.

Abhimanyu was only 16, and apparently younger than Prativindhya, if not the rest, got married first, and even  had a child, who became the next ruler.

This is really weird.

He must have been older than 16. But how old, that is difficult to judge.
I was aware of the Soma story and that made me believe he was 16. However, the first post mentors a strong contradiction. Both the points are contradicting each other.