What 'really' happend inside the Chakravyuha

Posted: 9 years ago
We don't know what Starbharata will show, but lets shed some light on what really happened inside the chakravyuha.

I thought of making a short summary about what happend inside the chakravyuha, Since  many people, including me, are not fond of the language KMG used, it is a little hard to read. I have kept the  use of citations to a minimal

1.) Abhimanyu entered the formation commonly known as Chakravyuha and started massacring the warriors inside it. Drona, Ashwathama, Karna attacked him jointly but no side seem to take the advantage, Abhimanyu bravely fought with them, and they all peirced Abhimanyu while Abhimanyu did the same.( pierced them in return )

2.) Karna again had a blood bath with Abhimanyu in which both bathed in blood.

"Abhimanyu, then, O sire, looked exceedingly beautiful. Filled with rage, he caused Karna also to be bathed in blood. Mangled with arrows and covered with blood, the brave Karna also shone greatly. 2 Both of them pierced with arrows, both bathed in blood, those illustrious warriors then resembled a couple of flowering Kinsukas. "

3.) Then, Karna seeked counsel of Drona and consulted him about Abhimanyu. Drona then, told Karna about how he is not able to detect any flaw in the young lad, and Karna too praised the lad. Drona then told Karna - that Abhimanyu cant be slain while he has his bow in hand, he has to deprived of his bow. Drona then asked Karna that if he is competent enough to break Abhimanyu's bow.

Drona's appreciation for Abhimanyu - " Tell us the means by which we may slay him.' Thus addressed, the mighty bowman, Drona, addressing them all, said, 'Observing him with vigilance, have any of you been able to detect any defeat in this youth? He is careening in all directions. Yet have any of you been able to detect today the least hole in him? Behold the lightness of hand and quickness of motion of this lion among men, this son of Arjuna. In the track of his car, only his bow drawn to a circle can be seen, so quickly is he aiming his shafts and so quickly is he letting them off. "

Drona's advise for Karna -  " Impenetrable. This one's father had been taught by me the method of wearing defensive armour. This subjugator of hostile towns assuredly knoweth the entire science (of wearing armour). With shafts well shot, you can, however, cut off his bow, bow-string, the reins of his steeds, the steeds themselves, and two Parshni charioteers. O mighty bowman, O son of Radha, if competent, do this "

Note that Drona did not advise Karna to break it from behind, its most probably a myth.

4.) Karna, then broke Abhimanyu's bow, Kritavarman slew his steeds and Kripa slew his two Parshni charioteers and the others covered him with arrows.

Karna cuts off Abhimanyu's bow while others break his chariot- " Vikartana's son Karna quickly cut off, by means of his shafts, the bow of Abhimanyu, as the latter was shooting with great activity. He, of Bhoja's race (viz., Kritavarman) then slew his steeds, and Kripa slew his two Parshni charioteers. The others covered him with showers of arrows after he had been divested of his bow. Those six great car-warriors, with great speed, when speed was so necessary, ruthlessly covered that carless youth, fighting single-handed with them, with showers of arrows."

Note that Karna did not cut off his bow from behind.

5.) Abhimanyu then, took up a sword and shield which was cut off Drona and Karna respectively. and after the Sword and shield were cut off, he took up the famous chariot wheel.

Karna and Drona cut off his shield and sword. -  " Then Drona of mighty energy, that conqueror of foes with a sharp arrow quickly cut off the hilt, decked with gems, of Abhimanyu's sword. Radha's son Karna, with sharp shafts, cut off his excellent shield "

Abhimanyu takes up the famous wheel -" Deprived of his sword and shield thus, he came down, with sound limbs, from the welkin upon the earth. Then taking up a car-wheel, he rushed in wrath against Drona "

His wheel was cut off by some kings shortly after he picked it up.

6.) Abhimanyu then, took up a mace and rushed towards Ashwathama but he ( Ashwi) avoided him.

Abhimanyu rushes towards Ashwathma with a mace in hand  - "  Deprived by them of his bow and car and sword, and divested also of his wheel by his foes, the mighty-armed Abhimanyu (mace in hand) rushed against Aswatthaman. Beholding that mace upraised, which looked like the blazing thunderbolt, Aswatthaman, that tiger among men, rapidly alighted from his car and took three (long) leaps (for avoiding Abhimanyu) "

7.) Abhimanyu started massacring the warriors with his mace, he  then crushed against Dushashans son for a mace fight. Both of them fought vigorously and both of them were fainted, Dushashan's son however, was quicker compared to Abhimanyu in recovering, Dushy's son then took his mace and smashed the almost recovered Abhimanyu on his head, thus killing him.

Abhimanyu's fight with Dushashan's son and his apparent death. -  "  Proceeding next towards the car of Duhsasana's son, he crushed the latter's car and steeds, pressing them down into the earth. The invincible son of Duhsasan, then, O sire, taking up his mace, rushed at Abhimanyu. saying, 'Wait, Wait!' Then those cousins, those two heroes, with upraised maces, began to strike each other, desirous of achieving each other's death, like three-eyed (Mahadeva) and (the Asura) Andhaka in the days of old. each of those chastisers of foes, struck with the other's mace-ends fell down on the earth, like two uprooted standards erected to the honour of Indra. Then Duhsasana's son, that enhancer of the fame of the Kurus, rising up first, struck Abhimanyu with the mace on the crown of his head, as the latter, was on the point of rising. Stupefied with the violence of that stroke as also with the fatigue he had undergone, that slayer of hostile hosts, viz., the son of Subhadra, fell on the earth, deprived of his sense"

Please feel free to correct me If I am wrong, I am a human who is bound to make mistakes.
Edited by TheWatcher - 9 years ago
nice post

I want to add something from other source

Chakravyuh was 7 layer circle of soldier. Each layer has a gate which is guarded by 1 maharathi. It is very defensive form since soldier didn't know how to penetrate the vyuh. The main objective of breaking the Chakravyuh is let their soldier enter in gate and break the circle.

Drona challenged Yudhistir to enter in the vyuh or accept defeat. Arjun was not there. Abhimanyu offer himself to enter in the vyuh as he know the strategy of passing each gate upto 6 gate. Bhim tell that 7th gate would be broken by all of us together.

At 1st gate Jaydrath was there. Abhimanyu quickly defeated Jaydrath and enter. Jaydrath able to stop all the other warriors bec of boon. 
Abhimanyu uses different strategy like break the bow of gatekeeper and before he took up  another bow, he passes that gate or use of illusion astra to become invisible etc. Drona and Karna was also defeated. Karna asked the reason which Drona tell that apart from his finest archery he also had impenetrated kavach by the use of divine mantra which Drona taught to Arjun (Once Drona also give impenetrated kavach to Duryodhan and arjun have difficulty to defeat Dury but on the suggestion from Krishna he aimed at Dury finger)

When Abhimanyu reaches 7th gate he find that all the 6 gatekeeper (maharathi) (except from Jaydrath who is still guarding his gate) surround him which is strictly against the rule of Chakravyuh. People often comment that Arjun and Karn fight with many maharathi at once and hence the case of abhimanyu is not adharm. But as per the rule of Chakravyuh gatekeeper never leave their position and if defeated once then they can't go to inner layer of circle. On the command of Drona all encircle Abhimanyu. The charioteer said to Abhimanyu that it was against the rule and he would run the rath in such a fast that nobody can touch him but Abhimanyu refuse saying that warrior should never show his back.

Now Karna break his bow and others destroy his chariot. He took up his sword and shield and began slaughtering enemy on foot. Drona cut sword with his arrow and Karn destroy powerful shield which protected him from the shower of arrow. Abhimanyu asked Drona about Dharm of attacking all together. Drona repent and step back. He took wheel of his chariot and defended him. Some king destroy his wheel by arrow. He took up his mace but some destroy his mace also by arrow. Abhimanyu ask for a weapon since all his weapon has been destroyed. Karn refuge to give. Some say Karn was ready to give but shakuni interrupted. Duryodhan son strike abhi from behind at his head. Before going to death he kill Duryodhan's son with his knife.

Sorry for the long post. The only mistake of Karn here is breaking the rule of Chakravyuh on the command of Senapati Drona
Thanks for details.. It helped to clear up myth that it was cut from behind.. BRC is  distorted on this account.. Even movies like Karnan popularises the myth that it was from behind.. So he did cut the bow in fair fight..
Originally posted by Neutral2

nice post

When Abhimanyu reaches 7th gate he find that all the 6 gatekeeper (maharathi) (except from Jaydrath who is still guarding his gate) surround him which is strictly against the rule of Chakravyuh. People often comment that Arjun and Karn fight with many maharathi at once and hence the case of abhimanyu is not adharm. But as per the rule of Chakravyuh gatekeeper never leave their position and if defeated once then they can't go to inner layer of circle. On the command of Drona all encircle Abhimanyu. The charioteer said to Abhimanyu that it was against the rule and he would run the rath in such a fast that nobody can touch him but Abhimanyu refuse saying that warrior should never show his back.

thanks so much for this .Actually i always wondered that abhimanyu fighting so many other warriors at one time wasn't wrong as like you mentioned karna and arjuna had done the same many times.Now i finally understand why it was wrong because it was against the rule of chakravayuh.Thanks for that

Originally posted by Cotswolds

Thanks for details.. It helped to clear up myth that it was cut from behind.. BRC is  distorted on this account.. Even movies like Karnan popularises the myth that it was from behind.. So he did cut the bow in fair fight..

in KMG he doesn't break it from behind but i have read work of other authors in which he did
As far as mahabharat is concerned karna didn't break any rules in chakaraviuh. ...he killed abimanyu but the pandavas killed karnas son who is very younger to abimanyu in a tricky method...so what say all is fair in love and war both for pandavas and kauravas
TFS watcher...👏👏..I had the misunderstanding that Karna broke the bow from behind and you correceted me once before..Karna and Abhimanyu are my fav charatcters of MB..Want to see their fight without much distortion...
Thank you so much for this.. I remembered you sharing this information in other thread...This did clear misconception I had about Karna..I used to consider it one of his mistakes... but I think here he was just following orders of his senapati and that time..and I am just glad that he didnt cut bow from behind..

nevertheless Abhimanyu's death is sad event ... as much as Karna's death is..
Originally posted by riti4u

Thank you so much for this.. I remembered you sharing this information in other thread...This did clear misconception I had about Karna..I used to consider it one of his mistakes... but I think here he was just following orders of his senapati and that time..and I am just glad that he didnt cut bow from behind..

nevertheless Abhimanyu's death is sad event ... as much as Karna's death is..

Even if it is a sad event - Karna is no-where to blame, he did only two things and he did up front.
Watcher's post is accurate, and busts the myth of Abhimanyu being killed while fighting several warriors simultaneously.

Actually, that was the way Shalya got killed!