Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

filmi_chick99 thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: sree

Friends

There are people who say that "Betiyaan Ghar Ki Lakshmi Hoti hai". Betiyon Se Ghar banta hai!!.

At the same time, there are another set of people who see Daughters as a curse rather than a boon... Times have changed, we have moved into a new era, where we have achieved and developed in a long way... But one of the thing that remains the same or close to truth, is the way Daughters are looked down upon in the Society... Women are always considered to be inferior to men. The girl child is considered to be a burden. The girl child is always looked down upon, while the son of the house is considered to be the Treasure ....

Now, can we go into a discussion mode and reason out , give our thoughts on whether this discrimination exists even today...

•   Are women still considered inferior to men?

Yes. It's a very sad thing..but it is. And not only in India or any other undeveloped countries, but also in developed countries like the US, etc. I have seen it happen to me, because I have a brother. Outside of my family, it was always my brother who got special treatment...He always got whatever he wanted...Not so with me.  

• Why is there an increasing number of dowry deaths and feticide in the country today??

I think it's because of the pressure you put upon a girl. If a boy is considered breadwinner and is pressurized/threatened by her family, then the smart thing to do would be to abort the baby. Dowry deaths also happen like that.

• Why is the girl child shunned by society while the boy is looked upon as the sole torch bearer for the family??

I think this is because the boy is the one who is the "breadwinner". He's bringing the money home so therefore he thinks about control. It goes in a saying "Might makes right." Just my views, i hope i haven't offended anyone 😳 

queen-bee thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Sree nice topic. all of you are doing a wonderful job of answering the qs.

In India still a large numbers of women are marginalized and deprived of even the most basic education. Historically, there was the practice of sati, now long abolished β€” where wives immolated themselves on their husbands' funeral pyres, as if life without one's husband was worth nothing at all. Arranged marriages, dowry, dowry deaths and female infanticide are all practices that continue to this day....But in traditional households, or within the less literate or poorer families, women often have little social freedom. And even in the quotidian aspects of life, deference to men is the norm β€” for example, it is a common practice for women from these families (which despite the economic surges of the last fifteen years make up a large percentage of Indian households) to wait for their husbands to eat before they let themselves begin their meal. And I have often seen couples walking down the street in India, wife trailing several feet behind her husband, as if not his equal.

But you know what I sit here in SFO and wonder why America is still 'not ready' for a woman President as yet and this, now, in the twenty-first century. The rest of South Asia has had its share of female leaders as well - from Bandaranaike and Kumaratunga to Benazir Bhutto to Khaleda Zia. Even Sonia Gandhi has been taken into the fold; she led the Congress Party of India to victory in the 2004 elections. There is, of course, the flip side of the coin (and with South Asia there is always that flip side) that all these South Asian female leaders have been relatives of male leaders before them (but then one jokingly thinks that one could say that about George W. Bush as well!). Despite this, despite the accident of origin β€” these women are powerful symbols to both women and men: to women that the heights are reachable, and to men that for women to hold power is natural.

Within my family, women were generally empowered (and I mean empowered in the sense of Maslow's use of the term 'self-actualization' β€” that is being the most that one can be, using all one's talents and capacities to their fullest potential, which is then more than being mother and wife). My great-grandmother was one of India's first women doctors β€” going to medical school after her children were born. She established a nursing home. My grandmother had been a working mother, and so had my own mother, both teachers. My aunts were chemistry professors, doctors and IAS officers.

So with a female Prime Minister and the positive female paradigms within my own family, there was never any question about anything being beyond my reach. Taking control of my life, making decisions, expressing opinions were natural. These were not issues I ever wondered about, or questioned. Growing up, the concept of a 'glass ceiling' for women was not within my vocabulary.

Some time ago, a most interesting thing happened to me on a cab ride to downown SFO from the airport. I give the Puerto Rican taxi driver detailed instructions regarding turns so that he would then be able to drop me off on the west side of Fisherman's wharf. I noticed as we approached that he did not turn where I had asked him to, leaving me instead on the wrong side of the Fisherman's wharf. When I asked him why he had not done as I had asked, he turned to me and said, "I don't take orders from women. And the women from your country are really good at giving orders!"

There is this image of urban, educated Indian women as being strong, proud and powerful. How to account for the fact that Indian women take to power so naturally? And to me, this is the important difference β€” that South Asian women leaders are generally accepted with grace. We are all avatar of Ma Durga/ Kali (watch out guys!)

Now in the twenty-first century in all our different chosen professions β€” from the arts and sciences to business and politics...... I suggest that we take the best from our history β€” fabulous role models, female Prime Ministers, goddesses β€” and use them as a platform from which we help rewrite the story at home and abroad.

The day the US is ready for a female President will be as wonderful as the day when an Indian village woman says to her husband that she is not waiting for him to finish eating before she helps herself, or walks down the street at his side, proud and full of grace!

Sorry Sree I kind of digressed fr your qs ans & wrote a essay Edited by mink - 17 years ago
kisnakiradha thumbnail

Originally posted by: indianhomey1992

πŸ˜†srry i didn't mean 2 do dat!😳...just came out like dat!....i hadn't even read princesses' post so😳 

LoL yeh, thats why it was so scary! πŸ˜†πŸ˜† you guys must be connected some way or another! hehehehe

btw both ur points made a lot of sense! πŸ‘

rshahani thumbnail
there soughtint be any diff most girl r more loyal to family son r sons till they marry but daughters always help til thy live but only fathers name carry on because of sons that is diff only
desi_chick05 thumbnail
Nice topic!πŸ˜ƒ

•   Are women still considered inferior to men?
i dont think so now-a-dayz but its soo weird...cuz my granma and other ppl get all exited if someone had a baby boy an all sad if its a baby girlπŸ˜• mujhe toh koi farak nahi nazar aata.... i mean im like a hardcore feminist...lolπŸ˜› and i hate it when ppl say...bechara/bechari has 4 gurlz..... if that person had 4 boys they wouldnt be saying bechareπŸ˜• i actually think girlz are somewhat better because they're caring....aur ghar ka sara kaam karte hai =)

Why is the girl child shunned by society while the boy is looked upon as the sole torch bearer for the family?

i think its because when we grow up... girlz get married off and go live with their husbandz family.... but guys get married and stay with their family [most of the time] and i guess parents are just worried they wont have anywhere to goπŸ˜• i dont knw lol
or maybe its because guys are considered stronger than girlz and their parents trust them to go out by themselves a lot and they can get jobs at an early ageπŸ˜• like my cuzin is 19 an shes still not allowed to ride tha bus alone after 8 but her lil bro is 15 and he goes on buses all tha time an comez bak at 11πŸ˜•which is really unfair....

angelsgurl thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
-- Are women still considered inferior to men?
in ma family we are two sisters and i dun remember a time we wern't allowed to do stuff.. ofcourse since we are girls we HAVE TO TAKE EXTRA CARE and there are times after which we shud be home and thats for our own good.. guys these days are soo bad u never know what they can do.. but there are parts in india where women are still considered inferior to men and till those women do not voice der opinions and get together noone can help them.

Why is there an increasing number of dowry deaths and feticide in the country today??
This usually happens in the villages where ladies do whatever they are asked to... i do not think that if these women tried to protest once gettin together.. dey wud have any problems.. but to do tht u need courage.. which not all the ladies have.. men are gettin more cruel and greedy by the day and very soon dey shud be taught a lesson.. 😑

Why is the girl child shunned by society while the boy is looked upon as the sole torch bearer for the family??
a few ppl "think" tht gurls cant study or do nythin tht a guy does.. but thtzz soo wrong... most of da successful ppl today are women... dey are walkin shoulder to shoulder wid men or even ahead.. n nuh even a minute to i feel bad to be a gurll.. m sucha proud gurl and shall awayz be.. πŸ˜ƒ
JinK thumbnail

Originally posted by: angelsgurl

-- Are women still considered inferior to men?
in ma family we are two sisters and i dun remember a time we wern't allowed to do stuff.. ofcourse since we are girls we HAVE TO TAKE EXTRA CARE and there are times after which we shud be home and thats for our own good.. guys these days are soo bad u never know what they can do.. but there are parts in india where women are still considered inferior to men and till those women do not voice der opinions and get together noone can help them.

Why is there an increasing number of dowry deaths and feticide in the country today??
This usually happens in the villages where ladies do whatever they are asked to... i do not think that if these women tried to protest once gettin together.. dey wud have any problems.. but to do tht u need courage.. which not all the ladies have.. men are gettin more cruel and greedy by the day and very soon dey shud be taught a lesson.. 😑

Why is the girl child shunned by society while the boy is looked upon as the sole torch bearer for the family??
a few ppl "think" tht gurls cant study or do nythin tht a guy does.. but thtzz soo wrong... most of da successful ppl today are women... dey are walkin shoulder to shoulder wid men or even ahead.. n nuh even a minute to i feel bad to be a gurll.. m sucha proud gurl and shall awayz be.. πŸ˜ƒ

😭I'm feeling very hurt to see these generalized comments on boys.
SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Just saw a disgusting piece of news on Star News (I was watching the TV from my room so couldn't hear anything). One couple had threw their newly born daughter in a ditch bec'se she was a girl, fortunately she was saved...they showed the baby. It was horrible, she was crying with pain, had bandages on her palms..bruises on legs, cut on face, I mean it was horrible. And why can't media people leave the baby alone. Usse waise hi itna pain thaa aur woh log apna camera/lighting chalaa rahe they. 😑

What should be done with the such parents? 😑
SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

http://www.ndtv.com/morenews/showmorestory.asp?category=Nati onal&slug=Two-day+old+baby+girl+abandoned&id=93153

Print this page Two-day old baby girl abandoned in Patiala

Kulwant Singh/Braj Mohan Singh

Watch story

Thursday, September 14, 2006 (Patiala):

A two-day-old baby girl has been found sandwiched between two walls near Patiala. The baby is miraculously alive.

Soon after being born, she was thrown into an eight-foot deep space between two walls in Phulkian Enclave and left to die.

Presently, she is recovering from her trauma even though the road to recovery is painful.

"When the child was brought in, her condition was bad, she had low temperature. But now her condition has improved a lot," said Dr Deepak Kumar, Rajindra Hospital.

Davinder Kumar had rushed to the rescue of the baby and after informing the police, he broke down one of the walls that had her trapped. Now, he wants to adopt her.

"We pulled out bricks one by one. By God's grace the child was safe. I put my hands in and pulled out the child. It is a girl.

"If someone adopts her, then its okay otherwise I will keep her. I have two more children, I can raise another one too," said Davinder Kumar, rescuer.

"We have registered a case against the child's parents. Investigations are on and we will soon find out who the parents are," said Harpreet Singh, SHO, Tripuri Police Station.

Inquiry on

The Patiala police are making enquiring at various nursing homes to try and find her parents but it's an uphill task.

Punjab has been witness to some of the most gruesome cases of female infanticide, most recently, the shocking discovery of the well of shame in Patiala into which dozens of female foetuses had been thrown.

One can only hope that this baby's rescue is the beginning of a change in mindset in Punjab.

realitybites thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: SREE

• Are women still considered inferior to men?

Yes unfortunately they are. The social perspective is belittling. Men are regarded as the bread earners so their labor is given more value than the work done by a woman at home. The argument from men being household work is an easy job.  Then physically men are stronger so in labor intensive situations women do need help. Mentally I believe there is not much difference both can be equally genius or dumb.

•  Why is there an increasing number of dowry deaths and feticide in the country today?

There are increasing no. of dowry deaths and female infanticide & foeticide becoz of the social paradigm. The evil of dowry lends credence to easy money for men or their fly's and here starts the never ending game of greed. Poor parents are unable to dolt out money and rich ones get avaricious. Such is the height that some parents are exacting and take it as granted that the money spent on boy's needs and education need to be reimbursed by girl's parents.

•  Why is the girl child shunned by society while the boy is looked upon as the sole torch bearer for the family?

Here the Vedas are to be blamed too for harboring the belief that a man's soul cannot rest in peace till his son lights his pyre. There was an article abt this in TOI arnd 3 yrs back wherein they had published sections clarifying this. The article stated that a blood relative shd complete the last rites and the custom had started as a mark of respect to the dead body. With time this was contoured and now this has led to mad rush for male child. And of course the adage that only male heirs continue the fly name.

Somewhere women have themselves to blame for denigrating their own kinds in most demeaning ways. It's a grave social problem and the society needs to awaken before more states turn into situation like Punjab, which underlines the barbaric nature of Indian society.