Posted: 9 years ago

|| KUMKUM BHAGYA ||

Welcome To The Article Archive Section Of Kumkum Bhagya Forum

Here You Will Find All Articles Related To The Show

Please Refrain From Posting Any Comments 

Regards,Manan [ Proud-India ]

"Kumkum Bhagya is a positive and an intense love story" : Sriti Jha

Actress Sriti Jha who has been roped in to play the lead in Balaji's upcoming show Kumkum Bhagya talks about her character and much more with TellyBuzz...

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 | 5:40:57 PM IST (+05:30 GMT)   |  Copyright: India-Forums.com /

The very talented and beautiful actress Sriti Jha, who was recently seen portraying the character of Ganga in Colors' popular show Balika Vadhu, is quite excited to be a part of Balaji's upcoming show Kumkum Bhagya on Zee TV which is going to be an intense love story. Sriti will be seen playing a different character from what she has played earlier and she is happy about it. 

TellyBuzz spoke to Sriti to know more about her character in Kumkum Bhagya and what kept her busy during her break time. 

Sriti Jha who has been praised for her acting skills in her previous shows seems to be a travel buff as during her sabbatical she traveled and explored many places, "I have been busy travelling these days. I went to Kerala and Sikkim and just returned to Mumbai few days ago. It was a beautiful experience and I had so much fun. 2014 has begun on a very good note and I hope that it continues to be a good year ahead too. I travelled to two places and enjoyed a lot. I just planned to go to Sikkim happened suddenly. I did all the arrangements in a hurry as my plan to travel places was decided unexpectedly. I travelled alone so it was lots of fun. I like to travel alone as I can explore the city well and then I can also commute with the localities and the people. I like knowing about various good places which are popular for eating and clicking pictures (Laughs). I enjoyed roaming in various cities and it was an over whelming experience for me. Apart from this, I watched lots of brilliant movies of 2013. I am just looking forward to the year 2014 and I hope that it's going to be a good year. Now I am hoping that Kumkum Bhagya will happen soon."  

When asked Sriti about how did she bag the show Kumkum Bhagya, she added, "The show happened to me like a regular process. I gave a look test and got finalized for the show."

Elaborating more about the show Kumkum Bhagya, Sriti says, "The show is really good and very interesting. It's very relatable and a happy show. It's positive and an intense love story and I loved the idea of it. I am fortunate enough that I am a part of it and I am quite excited about it."  

So what attracted Sriti to the show? "The first thing which attracted me the most is that it's a love story which I haven't done it from a long time and I was eager to act in a love story. The second thing was that it's my first show with Balaji and Zee. The third thing which attracted me was the character as she is believes in herself. She is responsible and very mature.  My character is very simple and portraying the character in some of the intense and difficult situations would be interesting to play. I have always portrayed powerful characters which had to be enacted well on-screen. So, I haven't played this kind of a character and never in an intense love story," she says.

Talking about her character in the show, Sriti further added, "I am playing the character of an elder sister of in the family. There are mainly women in this family with two sisters and a mother. The mother is very keen to get her daughters married. I am playing the character of a girl who is very responsible; she can take the responsibility of her whole family. She is a very positive girl who sees happiness in everything. Many people can relate themselves to this character. There is a lot of depth in the character and it's intense. In spite of this, it's a very believable character, who is nice, mature and a smart girl." 

We also quizzed Sriti about her look in the show. She told us, "She is very simple and her priority is to take care of her family because she is very close to her family and loves them a lot. I think she is going to stick to the simplicity of her character and her looks which are yet to be finalized."  

As Sriti will be working with Ekta Kapoor for the very first time, when we asked her about how she feels being in Ekta's camp she told us, "I am very excited about it as I have seen her creating passionate love stories earlier. So, I am excited about the kind of work I will be doing. I hope it will be a good and a challenging work ahead and I am always ready to face challenges." 

We wish Sriti all the best for her new show! 

Anwesha Kamal

"My character name Bulbul itself brings a smile on everybody's face" : Mrunal Thakur

After having made her way in the film line actress Mrunal Thakur will be seen as Bulbul in Zee TV's upcoming show Kumkum Bhagya.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 | 4:11:38 PM IST (+05:30 GMT)   |  Copyright: india-forums

Pretty looking Mrunal Thakur, who was last seen as Saakshi in Star Plus' popular thriller show Arjun, is all set to be seen playing a very lively character of Bulbul in Balaji Telefilms' much awaited show Kumkum Bhagya on Zee TV.

Kumkum Bhagya is a story of a mother who wants to get both her daughters married to their Mr. Right. Mrunal has been roped in to play the younger daughter in the show.

TellyBuzz spoke to the actress to know more about her character, her association with the show, bonding with her co-stars and much more...

Talking about her character in the show, Mrunal says, "I am playing the character of Bulbul who is very lively, happy go lucky and she is a person who loves herself. Today is the first day of my shoot and I am totally enjoying playing this character. I have done few scenes with my on-screen mom and my sister Pragya. The bonding and everything else looks very real and I just love doing that. I love the concept as well. My name is Bulbul in the show and the name itself brings a smile on everybody's face. I am sure that the audience will love Bulbul who is like a drama queen and I hope they will like me too (chuckles)."

She further added, "Bulbul is me and I know that I can do it very well. I never thought that I will do a TV show again because I was concentrating more on films and recently I have done 3 Marathi movies. When I got the narration of the story, I couldn't say a No' because I found the story brilliant. There are some actors who can't live without TV and I think that I am the one. Movies are something which explores avenues to learn new things and TV is something which I can't stay apart."

The actress is quite happy as her movies and her show Kumkum Bhagya will hit the screens in the same month, "My movies are getting released in the month of March and April and Kumkum Bhagya will also go on air in March. So, I am quite excited and nervous about it," says Mrunal.

Mrunal shares a good bond with her co-stars and also feels that all the actors just fits the bill for playing their on-screen characters, "I am feeling lucky that after so many years the 9 PM time slot has got free and time slot matters a lot. So, I am happy and all my co-actors Supriya Raina Shukla, Sriti Jha, Faisal Rashid, Shabbir Ahluwalia are very nice people and we are like a family. Supriya is so cute and jolly. Everybody is so apt for the characters they are playing in the show. Sriti is just like Pragya in real, Shabbir is a rock star and I am also similar to Bulbul. I like the team and it is fun to work with this team."  

When asked Mrunal about her look in the show, she says, "My look in the show is going to be like Kareena Kapoor of Jab We Met and I love character. Even if it wouldn't be like this, then I would have convinced my designer to make me look similar to that of Kareena's look (laughs). I am really attracted towards her look in that movie and in Arjun also I used to wear bangles like her."

So, is Mrunal in touch with her co-stars of her previous shows? She replies, "Mujhse Kuchh Kehti...Yeh Khamoshiyaan was a show close to my heart and everybody was like a family to me. Recently, I met my co-stars of Arjun at the launch of Siddharth's caf. I met Shaleen Malhotra, Sana Khan and everybody and it's always good to have such small events time to time so that we get to meet with everyone."  

Lastly Mrunal signs off saying that she is extremely fortunate to be a part of Ekta's show and wants to work harder for this show, "It feels great and I feel fortunate enough that she chose me for this role. I have lots of responsibilities on my shoulders now and I have to work harder now. I am nervous and excited. I hope I can live up to Ekta Ma'am's expectations as how she wants my character to be like."  

We are eager to see Mrunal aka Bulbul in Kumkum Bhagya and we wish her all the very best!

Anwesha Kamal

Zee TV's Kumkum Bhagya launches on April 15!

Here comes another women centric drama on Zee TV as Kumkum Bhagya which is an adapted version of Jane Austin's classic novel Sense and Sensibility.

Saturday, March 29, 2014 | 11:39:29 AM IST (+05:30 GMT)   |

Narrating tales that have captivated audience attention for almost two decades now, the master storyteller Ekta Kapoor is back with a new offering on Zee TV. Her new show Kumkum Bhagya' launches on 15th April at 9 PM, this time replacing her own immensely successful show Pavitra Rishta' on the channel. Based loosely on Jane Austen's classic 'Sense and Sensibility', Kumkum Bhagya' is its Indian interpretation, following the life of a Punjabi matriarch Sarla Arora who runs a marriage hall and lives with the hope of seeing her two daughters Pragya and Bulbul who're poles apart, happily married some day! Known for making shows that are women-centric, the pivotal characters of this new show are a bunch of strong, feisty women, living together in an all-female, matriarchal family.

Sriti Jha plays the character of Pragya, the elder sister, who is practical, hardworking and committed to supporting her family ... though she's barely finished her own studies, she teaches at a college to ensure that her mother Sarla's (Supriya Raina Shukla) meager earnings from the Kumkum Bhagya' marriage hall never fall short in making the two ends meet. In the midst of all this pressure on her, she's forgotten how to unwind or pursue any passions of her own. Mrunal Thakur plays Bulbul, the younger sister who has her head in the clouds. She's vivacious, smart, stylish and a complete dreamer. It barely occurs to her to snap out her own make-believe, rose-tinted world and be of any real use to her family. She idolizes the ruling heartthrob of the country, Rockstar Abhi. Actor-turned-producer Shabir Ahluwalia, who has shied away from facing the camera since 2012, has been roped in to play Rockstar Abhi with a cult following of his own. Faisal Rashid will be seen as Suresh, the college professor who works closely with Pragya (Sriti Jha). Having led a tough life in the military and lost most of his close ones, he is an embittered soul with much angst and pent-up frustration about life. It remains to be seen how the lives of these two men intertwine with the Arora girls and change their destinies forever!

Talking about introducing a fresh concept on primetime, Zee TV Programming Head - Namit Sharma said, "It takes one epic show to replace another, so you can imagine the faith we have in Kumkum Bhagya, as a property, to replace a show that has been extremely special to Zee for over 4 glorious years. Pavitra Rishta has given Indian television audiences their most sought-after dinner table companions in Manav and Archana - star-crossed lovers that millions of viewers have loved, and idolized. Kumkum Bhagya is another extremely engrossing story from a Punjabi mohalla in Mumbai. It talks of a matriarch and her quest to find ideal grooms for her daughters who're as different as chalk and cheese. Deriving its core from Sense and Sensibility, Ekta has Indianized it beautifully. It's a passionate drama of love, a far cry from regular saas-bahu soaps and has an ensemble cast of some very talented actors."

With Kumkum Bhagya' slated to air at 9 PM from the date of its launch on Zee TV, Pavitra Rishta' will now be aired Monday - Friday at 6:30 PM on the channel. Talking about the time shuffle amongst her projects on Zee TV, Ekta says, "While two of my shows (Pavitra Rishta and Jodha Akbar) are already on-air and doing immensely well on Zee TV, it's a pleasure to extend my partnership with Zee to a third show. Pavitra Rishta' has had a run of over 4 years now and the journey has been most gratifying for me as a producer. While the audiences who are hooked on to 'Pavitra Rishta' will continue to enjoy the show at 6:30 PM, Kumkum Bhagya' will open at 9 PM, drawing maximum eyeballs. Kumkum Bhagya is so contemporary in its treatment that viewers will be able to instantly spot characters out of their own lives in the show. It's a story of passionate love that anyone with a soul would be able to easily relate to."

Speaking of his comeback as an actor, Shabir says, "With me producing shows, it was getting very difficult to manage time for acting assignments. But now, I have decided to concentrate on acting. You can't be away from what you love doing for long. The role appealed to me a great deal. This is the first time that I will be playing a rockstar on television and in order to look my part, I had to ensure that I did not just get my costume and look right, but also get that attitude right that is required to portray a rockstar onscreen."

Ekta Kapoor's association with Zee TV dates back to almost two decades ago when the partnership produced one of the greatest successes of satellite television - Hum Paanch. Her soaps, be it Kasamh Se, Pavitra Rishta or Jodha Akbar - the latest historical to rule the roost on Indian television, have been universally appreciated and have enjoyed long, glorious runs on the tube. 

"Kumkum Bhagya is all about making the best of your life." - Ekta Kapoor

Talking about the show and how it has been made from the heart, producer Ekta Kapoor talks about how the story of this show is not different but the emotions and characters are new and that makes the difference.

Saturday, March 29, 2014 | 6:28:06 PM IST (+05:30 GMT)   |  Copyright: India-forums.com

Coming back from Tiruptati where she had obviously gone to seek blessings as she usually does whenever she starts something new, noted producer Ekta Kapoor was in a good mood last night at the launch of her new show Kumkum Bhagya on Zee TV.

The show which stars Shabbir Ahluwalia, Sriti Jha, Mrunal Thakur and Faisal Rashid has the story of a simple, all women family based in Mumbai and how the mother who runs a marriage hall named Kumkum Bhagya wants to see her two daughters married and well settled.

Here is what Ekta had to say about her show and more...

"It is difficult to say whether Kumkum Bhagya is a family drama or a love story."

"It is very tough to talk about the show with so many characters and to assimilate them together in one story is difficult but it is a format breaking as a show. I cannot even say whether it is a love story or a family drama.

The essence of the show is that in life you meet many people who will touch your life through various things, different moments and different people will come and go and there are going to be different stages of love and relationships but the one person who sticks by you at your worst is the one that matters and if that person is the one who is weaved in your destiny through the Kumkum that is in your maang then that's a relationship to actually cherish for life and you never know that. Destiny for women at least till she gets married is different and after marriage destiny changes because it is linked with someone else."

"Kumkum Bhagya is inspired by Sense and Sensibility."

"It is inspired by the classic novel Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen which I liked when I saw the film based on it and then I started writing it in my own way. I changed scripts, writers when I thought that the base of the story was wrong so then I changed it all over again. When you write something but if it doesn't come from inside it doesn't work as a story. I think I left the classic long behind when me and my writers weaved a very different tale out of it."

"I make all my shows from the heart."

"Actually when I make a show the first thing I try to do is block out all external influences or what anyone thinks about the show. Shows have to be made from the heart and I love the characters, I feel part of this home in the show, part of the street that the family stays, I am part of their lives. Kumkum Bhagya is not a typical show in a typical zone and I am not even able to tell you whether it is a family drama or a love story. I am actually out of my comfort zone with this show. I thought there are so many family dramas on TV and yet there are so many stories which are not being told because at some point they are all complying to the typical rules of Television. We have made this show with a lot of heart and are hoping that the heart of this show reaches out to various hearts, various people so if I am expecting or hoping them to like it and I would rather use the word hoping."

"Every show has the same story told differently."

"There is nothing new in the show. Actually there are no new stories. In fact there are just seven stories which are repeated everywhere. What is new is the emotions and characters otherwise it is the same story which is depicted in different ways. If we have two people coming from a small town background and they are aggressive it becomes a Romeo and Juliet story and if we place the same two people in high society then it can turn into a European film. The way stories are told matters, it doesn't matter if the stories are the same. I hope when you see the show you will understand the essence of it. There are similar high points in different lives. The big game here is not to make different stores but to tell the same story differently."

"None of my shows have messages but just a thought."

"I never try to give any message to the audience via my shows. There is always a thought, a philosophy behind each of my shows not a message. In this show the philosophy is that emotionally and in any which way if anyone stays with you in good times or in bad times he is important for you. Kumkum Bhagya is all about making the best of your life and not looking the other way and wanting what others have."

"For me audience is most important."

"At the end of the day my show which runs for eight years because people watch it and if I could I will run it for 20 years if the audience is watching it. For me if the audience be it anybody - a dadi, a youngster, a housewife, any family member who is spending half an hour watching my show then I don't mind working 2 days or more on it. Films will keep on happening but I have decided to give more time to TV now since for me the choice of my Television audience is more important."

"With this show we have 'K' back in the title."

"Kumkum Bhagya was the title of a show we produced for down South and it had a very nice feel to it. This show however has a different concept and story and here the name of a marriage hall is Kumkum Bhagya. With this show K is back in my life and I hope success too comes back to me. I didn't think about it when we decided and after deciding the title we saw that K is back. These days all TV shows have typical titles which are lengthy and are adapted from songs from Hindi films which is so regular so we thought why not do something different."

"Pavitra Rishta doesn't need anyone's help."

"The show which replaces Pavitra Rishta and takes over the 9 pm prime time slot will also be shot on the sets of Pavitra Rishta which has moved on to another set. Pavitra Rishta set was very lucky and I wanted that luck to rub in on Kumkum Bhagya! At the same time Pavitra Rishta too is very important for me but Pavitra Rishta doesn't need anyone's help now as it has reached another level altogether. On whether this show will be as successful as Pavitra Rishta I don't know. I want it to happen but if it will or not I don't know."

Seema Khot Mattoo