The 'OTHER' Stories of Mahabharata

bhas1066 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
Variations of Mahabharata - Stories in Folk Versions:

I know a lot of people here doubt whether to completely believe KMG to  be the original account of Mahabharat and hence disregard the various stories in folk editions not present in KMG. (eg. draupadi-karna love story).  Hence i thought of providing here some stories in mahabharata which varies from KMG alongwith the sources of these to make it easier citing while in discussions. Other members also pool in their stories( only with the source please) so we can have an interesting and vast repertoire of stories to enjoy!

1] Ganesha's tusk and Mahabharata dictation

a) The first verse of Villi Bharatham - a rough/prosaic but literal translation :

"To make it firm as the fifth along with the four Vedas
On this sea-girt earth,
When the Mahabharata was spoken by the King of sages
Who possess unfading askesis and Truth,
Vinayaka wrote with the Mount Meru
As the cadjan leaf,
And His own tusk as the sharp stylus.
I salute Him with shoreless love."

(fifth along with the four Vedas -- Bharatah Panchamao Vedah; Vyasa is described as the king of sages; the sages are described as possessing unfading askesis and Truth (vaadaa thavam meymmai muni raajan); Mount Meru is described as "edu" which is palm or cadjan leaf)

b)  Tirunizhalmala (dated 1200-1300 AD) by Govinnen (Govindan)

Invocation of Ganesha: Viyatan mozhiyum Paratatteyoru kompukontezhuttiTumaven (who wrote with a tusk, the Bharata spoken by Vyasa)

c)   Cherusseri Bharatham (Bharatagatha)
Authored by Ponathil Sankaran Nambiti during the reign of Udyavarman Kolathiri - M.E 621 to 640 (A.D 1446 to 1465)
Edited with an introduction by Chirakkal T. Balakrishnan Nair, Kerala Sahitya Akademi, Thrissur, Kerala (1974)
Chapter 1, page 3
Praising Ganesha in the beginning of the text: My lord, son of Sambhu (Siva) who kindly wrote this story, which removes all sins and grants salvation, with (his) tusk, please shower your kindness on me to enable me to complete this task without any worry or disease affecting me.

(These lines refer to Ganesha, who wrote the verses of Mahabharata recited by Veda Vyasa, with a tusk on his right hand, on the leaves of Bhoorjara tree. The ancient Ganesha installation of the Velath Temple in Mayyil of North Malabar (Kannur District, Kerala) is based on the concept of the scribe of Mahabharata).

d)   Kannassa Ramayanam
by Rama Panikkar (later half of fifteenth century)

VEdavyAsanenRa nAmamezhum dvijEndran
nhanamiyanRu conna purANamanRuyar paRuvatAgrE
nalamiyal konpu koNTezhutum GanEshane nhAn tozhunREn.

I salute Ganesha who writes with the tusk on the tip of the mountain, the Purana spoken with knowledge by the Indra among brahmins, VedaVyasa. Edited by bhas1066 - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

bhas1066 thumbnail
2 ]  Draupadi Past-Life Leading to Five Husbands

a) Bharatham Pattu (dated 1500 AD) By Ayyanappilla Asan

Sambhava Parva, Vrttam 25, 10 songs
Songs 4 to 7, pages 138 to 139

Vyasa tells King Panchala:
Long ago your daughter was the wife of a sage. She was called Nalayani and the sage, Maudgalya. The sage was affected with leprosy (white coloured limbs). He used to cough and spit. Bad smell emanated from his body. He was stubborn. Others will not tolerate him but his wife managed. (song 4)
One day while he was eating, his finger fell of into the food along with pus. The sage stopped eating. The wife removed the finger from the food and ate the remaining food considering it to be more sweet than honey. The sage considered her to be great and chaste. (song 5)
The sage told the wife: Now I will grant you all you want. She told him her desires. The beautiful women and the sage affected by desire wandered in eight directions and fourteen worlds as Rati and Kamadeva (song 6 )
Satisfied, the sage discarded all his desires. He wanted to do penance. The wife asked: who will be my lover now? The sage said: you will be born as a prostitute and be wife to five men. She performed penance and Siva appeared. She presented her sorrow of not having a husband five times. (song 7)
Siva blessed her to be born on earth and have five husbands. She is born as your daughter.

b)  Cherusseri Bharatham (Bharatagatha)
Authored by Ponathil Sankaran Nambiti during the reign of Udyavarman Kolathiri - M.E 621 to 640 (A.D 1446 to 1465)

Chapter 19, Marriage of Panchali, pages 165 to 186
(Summary of pages 172 to 175)

As the Bharathas (Pandavas) disguised as brahmanas and their mother were proceeding to the palace (of Drupada) along with the Brahmins of Ekachakra, they met Vyasa on the way. The sage recited the story of the previous birth of the beautiful Draupadi so that Partha (Arjuna) can hear:
This virgin was the wife of a sage. He wanted to finish whatever sins he had. His body had big decaying wounds with pus. The wife used to clean the husband's body without any aversion. One day while the sage was eating, one of his fingers fell into the food along with worms and pus. He was unable to eat further. The wife removed the finger, worms and pus from the food and ate the remaining food happily. Seeing this the sage was happy. He told her to ask for a boon. The wife wanted the husband to be free of all diseases and enjoy marital bliss with him. The husband agreed to do so. After many days, the great sage told his dear wife: I am giving up pleasures and leaving to perform penances. The wife said: I will not agree with you, the abode of kindness, leaving me like this to the god of desire.' Hearing this the sage became angry and cursed her to be born on earth as a noble maiden and enjoy sexual pleasures with handsome lovers. The wife was sad to hear this. The husband asked her to worship Siva. The woman worshipped Siva, made him appear before her. She asked Siva to give her husband five times. Because of this , this woman will become the wife of all five brothers. Due to the kindness of Siva, there is no damage to chastity.

c)  Sri Mahabharatam Kilippattu  By Tunchatt Ezhuttacchan (1500-1600 AD)

Sambhava Parva , pages 284 to 288

Vyasa told King Panchala in private:
I will tell you about your daughter's previous birth. She was called Nalayani and her husband Maudgalya. He was an angry old man with a skinny body. He was affected by leprosy and worms and his body was smelling badly. He used to speak harsh words and used to cough. One day while he was eating, his finger fell off into the food. The wife removed the finger and ate the remaining food . After eating, the wife went to caress the body of the husband. Then Maudgalya said: You are the most chaste wife. I will grant you all your wishes. Tell me how I can satisfy you.
She said: Make me satisfied in five different forms. Maudgalya assumed a handsome figure and satisfied his wife as a sage living in a hermit. He went to the world of devas, ate amruta and lived there enjoying the pleasures with his wife Indrasena. He was respected by Paulomi. He went to the house of Sun, ascended the chariot of Sun and satisfied his wife. He went to Meru and enjoyed with his wife in the divine Ganga. He lived among the rays of moon. For a long time, he assumed the form of a gentle wind. Maudgalya became a mountain and Nalayani, a river. Maudgalya became a flowering Sala tree and Nalayani, a creeper.
Vyasa continued: Today she has become your daughter.
Panchala asked: Why did she become my daughter?
Vyasa said: Nalayani who was Indrasena took care of her husband Maudgalya for a long time and the sage satisfied his wife. Then he discarded all his desires and prepared to do penance. Nalayani told Maudgalya: Dear, do not leave me. I am not satisfied with sexual pleasure. The husband said: Why did you say this which is not to be said? You who are mad with desire want to stop my penance. Go to earth, take birth as daughter of Druapada. You will have five kings as husbands. Maudgalya blessed her and she went to the forest to do penance.
Siva appeared and said: You will be born as a King's daughter on earth. You will have five husbands. You will be able to perform the God's mission.
She asked: How can a woman have five husbands? I hear that it is not Dharma.
Siva said: Hear the reason: you said give me a husband five times. Hence you will have five husbands. There is no sin.
Nalayani said: I hear that there is no such provision in Vedas. A woman can have only one husband. A man can have many wives. If directed by husband, a woman can take another man to get sons. If a woman takes a third man, she has to perform prAyaschitta (compensatory acts) as directed by public. If a woman takes a fourth man, she is definitely fallen. If she thinks of a fifth man, she will be a prostitute. This is what I hear. Hence I do not want many husbands. It is not common. It is not ordained by Vedas. I will have the sin of mixing.
Siva said: Long ago, women had no restrictions. You will not have any sin.
(Nalayani said:) If I get five husbands, I should regain my virginity after intercourse. I have attained siddhi by serving my husband. I wish to attain siddhi again by serving my husbands.
Siva said: Siddhi and desire do not occur together. If you indulge in desire, you will not achieve siddhi. A chaste woman is sure to achieve siddhi. You will not face any obstacle in achieving siddhi. You will become virgin after living with each of the five husbands. Now proceed to the river Ganga and stand in the water. There you will meet a man. He is the lord of heaven, Indra. Bring him to me. Accordingly the woman proceeded to the river Ganga.

d)  Nalayani Caritam By Kuncan Nambiar (AD 1700 to 1770)
Ezhupattanchu Tullalkkathakal, Pages 679 - 688,

Same story as above.

bhas1066 thumbnail
 3 ] Draupadi Vastrakshepam (Disrobing of Draupadi)

Tenth Vrittam

From Bharatham Pattu by Ayyanappilla Asan

Song 2, Page 221

The younger brother of Duryodhana (Dussasana) then, as raging fire,
the curly dark, dense and beautiful hair
caught with his hand and revolved several times
made the one with lotus eyes fall on the floor and dragged her

Song 3, page 222

Then by the strength of hands he removed the dress she was wearing
Then they said that it is not just
As he removed the dress (she) wore another one
Immediately he removed that also. The dresses never exhausted at any time,
As loan, the women gave her dresses to wear
By force, by mind, he moved by the pride of mind.
You leave her
Return her dresses
Terrible danger
will occur
Sorrow will come
because of the words people have uttered.

Edited by bhas1066 - 10 years ago
bhas1066 thumbnail

4 ] Karna as the incarnation of Sahasrakavacha (Tanasura)

Karna is desribed as an incarnation of sahasrakavacha in the (a) malayalam poem. Krishnarjunavijayam (18th century) . The sanskrit works, (b) Mahabharata Tatparya Nirnaya (13th century) and (c) Narayaniyam (16th century) as well as all Tamil renditions mention karna as the incarnation of sahasrakavacha (one with thousand armours).

There was a daitya (asura), sahasrakavacha (one with a thousand armours), destroyer of devas. Due to a boon given by brahma, no one was ready to fight him. No harm will come to him without the loss of the thousand armours. After doing penance for twelve years and then battling for twelve years, one armour can be destroyed. That was the boon. To kill the asura, vishnu with thousand names incarnated as narayana and nara on earth. Nara did penance and narayana battled. After twelve years one armour was destroyed. Then nara battled and narayana did the penance. In this way the battle was fought for several years and at last, 999 armours were destroyed and only one remained. Then the deluge (pralaya) occurred. Nara and narayana attained vishnupada and the asura took shelter with sun. Karna, surya's son is the incarnation of the asura. Arjuna and kr^ishna are nara and narayana. Both are required to kill the son of surya. The stay in forest is the penance for twelve as required.

Thus in this version, the boon is given by brahma and twelve years of penance and battle are required to destroy one armour. Twelve years of vanavasa by arjuna are equated to penance.

bhas1066 thumbnail
5 ] Draupadi's secret love for karna

During the thirteenth year of the exile of the Pandavas, Draupadi saw a ripe jambul(jamun, or a mango in other versions), hanging from a tree. She plucked it to have it. No sooner had she done this, Krishna came from somewhere and stopped her from eating it. According to Krishna, the ripe fruit was supposed to be the fruit with which a sage was supposed to break his twelve-year fast. Not finding the fruit at its place, could earn the wrath of the sage, resulting in more trouble for the Pandavas and her. Draupadi begged of Krishna to help her out of this impending problem.

Krishna, then said that the fruit could be put back at its original place, only by someone who holds no secrets. Draupadi had only one option and to confess some guilt. Seeing no way out, Draupadi walked up her husband's and confessed to them, that though she was a chaste woman and loved all the five husbands, there was someone else that she longed for. She always had loved and respected Karna, the arch-enemy of the Pandavas. This was a shock to all the husbands, but none said anything. Having confessed, she went and put the fruit back on the branch of the tree and all was well.

This story is in many folk versions like bengali and bheel mahabharta. The story of the Jambu fruit comes from a folk play from Maharashtra called Jambul-akhyan. It is said that the Jambu fruit stains the tongue purple to remind us of all the secrets that we keep from the world.

6 ] Simhika in Mahabharata

There is a painting by the famous Indian artist Raja Ravivarma by the name Droupathi and Simhika . This painting is reproduced in the book, A Portfolio of Mahabharata Paintings, compiled by P. Lal (2001).

Who is this Simhika?

Simhika appears in the malayalam text (attakatha) for the Kathakali play "Kirmiravadham" by Kottayam Tampuran (17th century). In this work, the author introduces two new characters outside of Vyasa's text: A rakshasa named Saardduula and his wife Simhika. Simhika also happens to be the sister of Kirmira. Saardduula is killed by Arjuna. To take revenge, Simhika decides to abduct Draupadi and present her to brother Kirmira. To achieve this goal, Simhika takes the form of Lalita (a beautiful woman) and approaches Draupadi. She wants to show Draupadi, a Durga temple in the forest. This is the context of the Ravivarma picture.

Later on in the kathakali play, Draupadi suspects foul play and refuses to go. Simhika resumes her original form and forcefully takes away Draupadi. Hearing Draupadi's cries, Sahadeva comes and cuts off the nose and breasts of Simhika. In the Kathakli play, while Kirmira stands on the stage, Simhika in a special kathakali "vesham" called niNam (blood) makes her appearance at the back of the audience, followed by lighted torch bearers, completly dripped in blood, accompanied by the beats of many chendas (drums).

This is followed by the encounter between Kirmira and Bhima and the killing of Kirmira.

7 ] Gayopakhyanam ( The Demon Gaya)

in  Krishnarjunavijayam (Ottan Tullal) By Ambayatt Panikkar (a disciple of Kuncan Nambiar)

Summary based on the text given in Page 829-841, Ezhupattanchu Tullalkathakal

As Krishna was performing his morning rituals, a Gandharva called Gaya was travelling on his horse in the sky. The froth from the horse's mouth fell in the water in the hands of Krishna. Krishna discarded the water and looked up. He saw Gaya in the sky and understood the situation. Krishna became angry and he vowed to kill Gaya.

Hearing the vow, Gaya panicked. Indra asked Gaya the cause of his worry. Indra advised Gaya to pray Brahma to save him. Brahama asked Gaya to approach Siva. Siva indicated his helplessness. Certain about his death, Gaya started crying.

Narada was passing by. Hearing Gaya's plight, Narada thought of setting up a fight between Krishna and Arjuna. Narada asked Gaya to meet Arjuna and appeal to him to vow to save his life. Gaya fell on Arjuna's feet and pleaded to him to save his life. Dharma's son asked Vijaya to help Gaya. Gaya asked Arjuna to pledge that he will save his life. Arjuna vowed to do so. Gaya disclosed that Krishna has taken a vow to kill him for disturbing his morning rituals. Pandavas were worried to hear this. Bhima opined that Gaya should be handed over to Krishna. Dharma's son declined saying that Vijaya has vowed to save Gaya's life. Death by Madhava's hands is welcome.

Narada arrived, Dharma's son apprised Narada about the developments. Narada comforted him saying that Arjuna will never die by Krishna's hands. Long ago, the daitya, Sahasrakavaca (one with thousand shield) was confronted by Nara and Narayana. To destroy one shield, twelve years penance was required. Nara and Narayana fought with Sahasrakavaca taking turns alternately of fight and penance. In this manner ninehundred and ninetynine shields were destroyed and one shield remained. Then Pralaya occurred. The daitya took shelter in the sun. He is now born as Karna with one shield (kavaca). Now it is Arjuna's turn to spend twelve years in forest as penance. Both Krishna and Arjuna together are destined to kill the daitya(Karna). There is nothing to worry at all.

Narada then proceeded to Hastinapura and met Duryodhana. He appraised Duryodhana about the developments and asked him to help his cousins, Pandavas. Duryodhana agreed. Krishna summoned Garuda. Then Narada arrived and told Krishna that Gaya is with Pandavas.

Krishna asked Subhadra to request Arjuna to surrender Gaya. Arjuna refused. All Yadavas proceeded to Dwaitavana to fight with Pandavas.

A fierce war broke out between Yadavas and Pandavas. Kauravas also fought against Yadavas. In the end Krishna sent his Sudarshana Chakra. In response, Arjuna shot Pasupata Astra. Brahma requested both to recall their weapons. Both agreed.

Brahma asked Arjuna to hand over Gaya to him. Then Brahma asked Arjuna to close his eyes. Brahma handed over Gaya to Krishna. Krishna cut off Gaya's head. Brahma joined the head to the body and revived Gaya.

Pandavas praised Krishna. All of them had food together. Kauravas were unhappy. Hali (Balarama) and Hari returned to Dwaraka.
bhas1066 thumbnail
8 ] Duryodhana Conducting Abhicara to kill Pandavas

Duryodhana conducted an abhichara homa to kill the Pandavas in Villiputturar's Bharatham ( Villi Bharatam). This occurs in Aranya Parvam, Sarga Eight.

A summary of the relevant portion:

The Pandavas are staying in Sage Vishnuchitta's ashrama when the Dushta Chathushtaya plan the destruction of the Five. On Duryodhana's orders, a sage who wears lots of vibhuti (Dhoola-Mamuni) brings to him Kaala-MaMuni. Duryodhana falls at his feet and says in flattering terms: "Thanks to your tapasya my reign extends over the earth and my orders are followed. Do see to it that I am saved from a danger that threatens me." Sage Kaala MaMuni, an expert in Shastras wants to know why he has been invited. Duryodhana looks at Sakuni who says: "Rid this Duryodhana of his fierce enemies." The terrible sinner (ak-kodum-paavi) who gains fame by his charity on this earth, Karna, chips in: "If the Five continue to live, they will ask for the earth again as it has been released from the effects of the dice game. If you can perform a homa to kill them in ways the enemies do not know of, you would have gifted this seven-islanded earth to the snake-bannered Kuru."

Hearing Karna's words, Sage Kaala MaMuni shudders and thinks all his good karma gathered during his seven births past and his tapasya in this birth are at an end. He bursts out:

"Your unsurpassed fame
is spread in the eight directions.
There is no direction
which does not sing of your fame.
The earth is resting safe
Under your umbrella
Presenting a life for people
According to Manu dharma.
Why did you think
Of this terrible act?
One who wears anklets!
Even if I perform this homa
To send the Pandavas
To Death's regions above,
Will the imperishable
Pandavas die?
The evil work if I begin
Listening to your command,
Will only destroy me
And will not affect the Pandavas
Who are victorious lions.
They have Mayavan with them.
To assent to your request
Who wants to own the earth
So vast, I will have to die
As those who commit suicide
By consuming poison.
This alone will happen."
(verses 9 & 10, translated by Prema Nandakumar)

But the Dushta Chathushtaya (Duryodhana, Duhshasana, Sakuni, Karna) praise the sage no end and pray to him and he agrees in sheer desperation, giving a list of things needed. He sets up a corner of his Ashrama for performing the abhicara homa, and Villiputturar gives a suitably terrifying picture. Kaala MaMuni offers sacrifices that terrifies men and gods and raises a fire in a huge pit with wood taken from trees that have a way of growing up with bends, the flames shooting to the skies. He recites Vedic mantras and pours ghee into the fire (each mantra gets seven sruvas {wooden ladle} of ghee). A huge ghoul like a dark mountain now comes out of the fire. Its eyes spout fire while its terrifying tusks are white like moonlight. The sage shudders.

By now Yama learns of the abhicara homa and prepares to save the Pandavas as he is one who is bound only by Dharma. So there is a scene-shift. In the place where Pandavas are camping, a deer takes away the deerskin of a brahmin boy. On a complaint lodged by the boy, the Pandavas pursue the deer. They get tired following it and come near a poison tank. Actually it is Yama who has become the poison tank and the tree nearby. Dharma(Yudhisthir) sends Sahadeva to get water from the tank. Sahadeva dies on tasting the water. The same thing happens to Nakula, Arjuna and Bhima. Bhima writes on the sand, "the water is poisoned" before he dies. Dharma swoons with thirst and the worry that his brothers have not yet returned.

There is a scene shift again. The ghoul that had come out of the abhicara homa asks Kaala MaMuni for orders. On being told that it should kill the five Pandavas, the ghoul says it will go in search of the Pandavas who are yet not seen by it. But should they be found missing, it would return to kill the sage himself. The ghoul searches around in the forest and comes across Dharma who is in a swoon. The ghoul feels that the Pandava must have died unable to bear the heat of the forest and further search reveals to it the four dead brothers. The ghoul actually feels sad that such a terrible fate has overtaken the Pandava brothers. Incensed that his targets are already dead, the ghoul returns to Kaala MaMuni, screams at him for asking him to kill people who are already dead (the god-like sage should have known it, having trikaal-drishti kaalamkal moonrum ennum katavul nee), laughs angrily and beheads him with his tri-sul. The ghoul then returns back to the homa fire.

There is now another scene-shift where we see Dharma coming back to senses, searches for the brothers and sees them dead on the banks of the poison tank, reads Bhima's message, tries to drink the water, is stopped by a disembodied voice that asks questions. Immediately after Dharma answers its questions, Yama appears and teaches Dharma a mantra to raise a brother and Dharma prefers Sahadeva and explains to Yama why he did so in preference to Bhima and Arjuna, gains further mantras from the pleased Yama who also tells his son of the abhicara homa performed by Duryodhana. Yama then blesses him and withdraws.

Incidentally, Arjuna's tapasya and Mookasura-vadha etc form the first sarga (Arjunan Tavanilai Sarukkam) of Aranya Parva and the Poison-tank episode the last Sarga (Nacchu-poykai Sarukkam) in Villipputturar's Bharatham. 
bhas1066 thumbnail
Cerusseri Bharatam (Malayalam Retelling of Mahabharata)

Some notable variations are the following:

1. Ganesha is addressed as who wrote down this good story, which grants salvation by destroying all evil deeds, with his tusk.

2. Parikshit heard the Bhagavata recited by Suka.

3. It was Kashyapa who performed the Yajna at the request of Janamejaya. When theYajna was ended (unfinished), Kasyapa revived all the serpents. Later the King was afflicted with a disease Citrapandu (leprosy) due to the curse of the serpents.
Vaisampayana who visited Hastinapura asked the King to listen to the story of his ancestors, as the cure.
(In the first Bengali retelling of Mahabharata, Janamejaya is affliced with a disease as a result of a curse from a sage. Vyasa instructs him to listen to the epic from Vaisampayana as the cure.)

4. Story of Sakuntala follows Kalidasa's play with the curse of Durvasa, ring etc.

5. Samtanu and Ganga: After Bhisma's birth, Ganga left, asking Samtanu to take care of the child.

6. After Vyasa's birth, Parasara instructed Satyavati that she will become the King's wife and not to accept anything from the King till he gives her the land.

7. Meeting of Samtanu and Satyavati: The King was afflicted with a type of cancer (Pundarika Arbuda). Blessed by Parasara, the maiden's body was producing Kasturi which was used for treating the King as suggested by physicians. The maiden refused to accept any payment for the Kasturi. The King was completely cured of the disease.
Thus, Samtanu came to know about the maiden. The King met the maiden on the banks of Kalindi, fell in love with her.

8. Amba approached Vyasa to advise Bhisma to marry her. When Bh isma refused citing his vow, Vyasa recited the story of Bali and that of the Kausika at the river bank.Bhisma explained the fault of Bali and Kausika. Vyasa was pleased and told Amba to marry another king.

9. It is Satyavati who sent the maid to Vyasa.

10. Kunti is Kuntibhoja's daughter. Karna is named so because he came out of the ear of Kunti.
Hearing the stories about Kunti from travellers, Bhisma went to Kuntibhoja and brought Kunti for Pandu.

11. When unconscious Bhima was thrown into water, he reached the netherworld. There,a fight took place between Vasuki and Bhima who overpowerd the snake and was about to kill him. Seeing the nagakanya crying, Bhima released the serpent. The relieved Vasuki, recognising Bhima gave away the nagakanya as his wife. Bhima had
a son, Babhrubahu with the serpent woman. Bhima left his son with his mother and left for his city on the nineth day.
There is an incident of Bhima causing Kauravas to be shut inside a cave and later releasing them at Bhisma's behest.

12. Krsna sent Akrura to Hastinapura asking him to inform Bhisma to stop all the atrocities by Kauravas. If not, Krsna will feed all of them to his Cakra.(This is close to Bhagavata Purana.)

13. When Drona wanted to go to Pancala Kingdom, there was a twelve year long famine.
A story is narrated of a Kashmiri brahmin, expert in astrology, who thwarted the planof Navagrahas and ended the draught.

14.  Sakuni made pieces of dice out of the bones of his brother who perished in a prison due to imprisonment by Kauravas. Later he used them in the dice game with an intention to destroy the Kauravas. (This episode is known to other South Indian sources.)

15. There is a five page description of Draupadi.
Previous life of Draupadi story of Maudgalya and Nalayani (Their names are not mentioned).
Karna failed in his attempt because of Krsna's act. (This seems to have connection with Terukkuttu tradition.
Balarama intended to make an attempt so that he can gift Draupadi to Duryodhana. At this point Krsna intervened, informed Balarama that Pandavas are alive and pointed them out to him.

16. When Sahadeva came to the South during Digvijaya prior to Rajasuya, and cannot conquer Trigarta who ruled Kerala at that time, he made a a deal with Agni. Agni decreed that, except brahmin women, other women in Kerala need not be chaste and brahmins may marry the ksatriya women.
At the instruction of Sahadeva, Ghatotkaca proceeded to Lanka. He was received well and given lot of wealth by Vibhisana .
After the disrobing episode, no one could answer Draupadi question. To resolve the matter, Draupadi challenged Duryodhana for a dice game, defeated him and restored freedom to her husbands.
(This has some parallels with Telugu folk versions)

17.  Mukasura, a relative of Duryodhana used to visit hermitages assuming the form of a cat and to steal milk and butter. The enraged sages cursed him to become a boar.
The boar attacked Arjuna.

18.  When Arjuna and Duryodhana went to Dvaraka and requested Krsna for help, Krsna said that due to old age he was unable to fight. He asked Uddhava to divide the army equally. Divison was made with Satyaki and unarmed Krsna on one side, Balarama and the rest on the other side. Kauravas picked Rama and the army.
Krsna tricked Balarama into thinking that he has killed a cow. Balarama proceeded for pilgrimage.

19.  When Kunti saw Karna, milk poured out of her breast. Recognising him to be her son, Kunti proceeded to feed him her breast milk. Since those who drank her milk do not have the fear of the God of Death, Krsna went as a bird and dried her breast so that P ndavas may win.
a (This is similar to Tamil versions of Mahabharata)

20.  When Yudhisthira said: Dead is Aswatthaman, the elephant, Krsna blew his conch so that Drona won't hear the word elephant.
To verify whether Yudhisthira has spoken the truth, after protecting his body through yoga, Drona left his body and went in search of Aswatthaman. Meanwhile
Dhrstadyumna cut his body into pieces. After verifying that Yudhisthira has spoken a lie, Drona decided to kill him and went back to reenter his body. Seeing it in pieces,he decided to put them together. At that moment Bharadvaja descended from heaven and took Drona with him.

21. Duhsasana' death: Hearing that Duhsasana has fallen, Draupad i went to the battle-field and put her foot on his chest.
Draupadi  wore the liver as a garland. She collected the teeth of Duhsasana. She laughed and recalled her abuse. People who watched said: She is the Goddess Death of the sinful Kauravas! She is the ViryaLaksmi of the Pandava heroes!
Draupadi tied her hair. Later on she took a bath and went to Kunti.
(Draupadi as Virapancali/Kali in Tamil and Telugu folk traditions and Bhima and Draupadi identified with Bhairava and Bhairavi among the Newar community in Nepal  respectively.)

22.  Duryodhana told Samjaya that he is going to bring back the dead kings to life. Saying this, meditating up on Varuna Mantra, Duryodhana entered the lake.(This has parallels in Tamil folk tradition)

23.  When he saw Duryodhana fallen, Yudhis thira rushed to him and comforted him. This made Krsna angry. In response Yudhisthira cursed: Oh Krsna who is sinful because of the killing of your uncle! Your race will face a terrible end.

24.  Aswatthaman presented the heads of the sons of Pandavas and Sikhandi to Duryodhana. Duryodhana became sad because Aswatthaman murdered the children.(This is similar to what happens in the Bhagavata Puran a. Also in the Terukkuttu tradition.)

25.  Seeing the son of Drona bound, Draupadi became sad. She told Arjuna to release Drona's son. But Yudhisthira and Bhima told Arjuna to kill Aswatth man.(This is close to Bh gavata Pur na).

Edited by bhas1066 - 10 years ago
bhas1066 thumbnail

The First Bengali Mahabharata

Kabi Sanjay is the first translator of the complete Mahabharata into Bangla for regaling rustic audiences, composed in 'payar' metre in the first half of the 15th century, prior to the rule of Sultan Hussain Shah in Bengal [1494-1520] and also prior to Chaitanya [1486- 1533] as there is no trace of Vaishnav Bhakti in his work. A resident of Laur in the Sunamganj subdivision of Shrihatta district in East Bengal, he belonged to the Bharadvaj gotra. Interesting point: he praises Bhagadatta as the ruler of Laur and also calls him ruler of Bengal, though the epic does not so call him, because Shrihatta was at one time part of Pragjyotishpura.

Notable Variations:

1. Janamejaya charges Vyasa with failure to prevent his ancestors from the fratricidal battle of Kurukshetra. Vyasa laughs and says that people don't listen to prohibitions. As an example he issues an injunction that to avoid misfortune J must not make Kantavati his chief queen. J fails to observe this, and proceeds to make her his chief queen and insults the sage Rishyashringa who curses him to be afflicted with haga- pida', possibly syphilitic sores, all over his body. Vyasa comes again and tells him that to be cured he should listen to the epic from Vaisampayana. That is why the recital begins. At the end of Svaragarohana, J is cured-thus the tale is brought to a circular end. In Astika parva he adds a new story of Takshaka, pursued by Garuda, marrying his daughter Sarada to Parikshit and thus escaping death. A folktale of the ha' (curer of snake-bite) of Shankhapura is added and a novel treatment of the serpent sacrifice of J.

2. The Shantanu-Ganga story is given a novel twist. Mahabhisha is cursed by Brahma for his shameless ogling of Ganga's nudity, to be born a vanara. He worships Shiva who grants his wish to possess Ganga. Shiva commands Ganga who takes the vanara aside and tells him he must first become hairless like her and can do so by entering fire. To persuade him she magically protects him when he tests a finger in a flame and is unhurt. But when he enters the fire wholly, she does not protect him and he dies. Kuru is performing a yajna and finds a dry place overflowing with hot water which he and the rishis cannot cross. The corpse of the vanara comes floating by and they use it as a bridge. Thereupon the vanara is liberated and is born as Kuru's son, Shantanu. Shiva berates Ganga and forces her to wed Shantanu.

3. Amba's love for Bhishma is a creation of author's who makes it a long love-story.

4.  Chitrangada dies of TB. Vichitravirya violates Bhishma's injunction against entering his palace in his absence and is crushed there by the elephant with whom Bhishma used to wrestle daily to exercise.

5.  The Rajasuya yajna is held because Pandu is insulted in Svarga and despatches Narada to tell his sons to hold this sacrifice so that he can regain status. During the conquests, on his return from Lanka, Arjuna encounters Hanuman and it is an interesting folk-talish account.

6.  Duryodhana sends a band of fasting sages to Yudhishthira in exile but Krishna's miracle saves the Pandavas. In this plot Drona is also involved.

7.  In Udyoga parva a folktale type story is added about Kakalilasura. In Bhishma parva the story of Brahmachandala is given and special emphasis on the beauty and valour of horses occupies a lot of space.

8. In Drona parva after Abhimanyu's death Draupadi leads an army of women against the Kauravas. Karna refuses to fight them. Duryodhana is routed.

9. Ashvamedhaparva is wholly based on Jaimini's work, omitting his retelling of the Rama story. The Yadava and Pandava women fight the enemy when Pandavas are defeated. Jana is glorified particularly. She dies and turns into an arrow that lies in Babhruvahana's quiver with which Arjuna is slain. The battle descriptions surpass those of Kurukshetra. Stories of Jana, Sudhanva, Babhruvahana, Chandi, Chandrahas are magnificently told. From Vyasa he adds at the end the story of the half-golden mongoose.

10. Mausala Parva has Arjuna accompany Krishna at the end, and as they rest together Krishna is shot and killed. Svargarohana Parva has new teerthas where each Pandava falls. The route is along the Ganga. Meghanada Daitya tries to abduct Draupadi and is slain by Bhima.

bhas1066 thumbnail
Jaminiyaswamedha - a summary

1. Aswamedha is suggested as the solution
Suta narrates the puranic story to rishis in Naimisaranya.
Jaimini arrives in the court of Janamejaya, son of Vishnurata. Janamejaya wants to hear
Bharata. Jaimini narrates thirteen parvas. Janamejaya wants to hear aswamedhayaga in
detail. Yudhisthira's dejection. Vyasa suggests aswamedha. Yudhisthira hesitates. Bhima
encourages: don't worry about anything - Srikrishna is always with you.

2. Practical difficulties
The suitable horse is with Yauvanasva. Bhima along with Vrsadhvaja (son of Karna) and
Meghavarna (son of Ghatotkaca) volunteers to bring the horse. Yudhisthira thinks of Srikr-
ishna. Krishna arrives. Krishna discourages Yudhisthira. Berates Bhima. Says yaga is next
to impossible.

3. Obstacles go away
It turns out that Krishna was saying discouraging words only to test.

4. To Bhadravati
Bhima, Vrsadhvaja and Meghavarna go to Bhadravati, city of Yauvanasva. Steals the horse
through a combination of valour and magic.

5. First Opposition
Yauvanasva goes to war.

6. Yauvanasva surrenders
Yauvanasva joins the victors.

7. Victors to Hastinapura

8. The narration of Marutta's yajna

9. Srikrishna and relatives arrive
Srikrishna, Arjuna, Bhima, Vrsadhvaja and Meghavarna follow the horse.

10. Stealing of horse by Anusalva
Anusalva is the brother of Salva who carried out attack on Dvaraka from a flying city.
Anusalva, defeated, becomes a bhakta of Krishna. He joins the victors.

11. Victory march continues

12. King of Mahismati captures the horse
Pravira, son of Niladhvaja (king of Mahismati) captures the horse. Pravira loses the battle.

13. Niladhvaja and Fire fail
Niladhvaja fails. Sends Fire (agni), his son-in-law to fight against Arjuna and company. Fire
fails. Story of how Fire became the husband of Svaha, daughter of Niladhvaja and his wife
Jvala. Defeated Niladhavaja joins Arjuna.

14. Jvala's revenge
To take revenge against Arjuna, Jvala approaches her bother Unmukha, king of Kasi. Un-
mukha refuses to fight with Arjuna. Touched by the wave of Ganga, Jvala berates Ganga.
Says she is sinful. Why? Because she has not taken revenge on Arjuna for killing her son,
Bhisma. Ganga curses Arjuna to be killed by his own son within six months.

15. In the valleys of Vindhya
In the hermitage of rishi Saurabhi, the horse rubs its body against a rock, gets stuck to it.
No one can separate it.

16. Uddalaka and Chandi
Saurabhi tells Arjuna the story of the rock who is Candi cursed by husband Uddalaka.
Following instructions of Saubhari, Arjuna liberates the horse and restores Candi to her
natural form.

17. To Campakapuri
Hamsadhvaja, the king of Campapuri is a great devotee of Krishna. He calculates that if he
captures the horse, Arjuna will follow. If he defeats Arjuna, Krishna will follow. Then he
can, may be, capture Krishna himself. He orders that whoever is unwilling to take part in
the war should be killed by immersion in boiling oil.

18. The misdeed of Sudhanva
Fifth son of Hamsadhvaja, Sudhanva, while preparing to go to war meets his wife Prabhavati
who convinces him to make love before going to war. He obliges. It is noticed that he is
late for the war. No exemption. He is put into boiling oil. Sudhanva prays to Krishna and
is not hurt.

19. Sudhanva to the war-front
Sudhanva fights and defeats Vrshadhvaja. Sudhanva fights and defeats Pradyumna, Kr-
tavarma, Anusalva, Satyaki and Niladhvaja.

20. Arjuna and Sudhanva fight
Defeated Arjuna thinks about Krishna. Krishna instantly appears on the battlescene from
Hastinapura. After a fierce fight filled with miracles, Sudhanva is beheaded but his headless
body continues to fight. Krishna takes the head and throws it up. Siva captures it and adds
it to his collection on Mundamala.

21. Between Arjuna and Suratha
Another son of Hamsadhvaja, Suratha fights with Arjuna. Suratha is beheaded after a fierce
fight. Krishna asks Garuda to deposit the head in Ganga. Before the head falls in Ganga,
Nandikeswara captures it and adds to Siva's collection.

22. Hamsadhvaja ceases to be enemy
Hamsadhvaja joins the victors.

23. Miracles in Gaurivana
The horse takes a dip in some lakes in Gaurivana and is turned first into a she-horse and
then into a tiger. Krishna turns it back to original form.

24. In Naripura (city of women)
Country devoid of males. Queen Pramila. Pramila tells Arjuna to forget about the horse
and live with her. Angered Arjuna fights. When he is about to defeat her, voice from sky
instructs him to marry her. Arjuna promises her to do so after the Yaga. Pramila goes to
Hastinapura.

25. In Rakasapura (city of demons)
Horse reaches the city ruled by Bhisana, son of Baka. After many illusions, Arjuna kills
Bhisana.

26. To Manipura
Babhruvahana captures the horse by mistake. His apologies are not accepted by Arjuna.
Fight begins between Babhruvahana and leaders in Arjuna's camp. After they are defeated
one by one, and Vrshadhvaja is beheaded by Babhruvahana, fight starts between Babhru-
vahana and Arjuna.
Here Jaimini says the fight is just like what went on between Kusa and Srirama. Listeners
want to hear this story.

27. Sriramasvamedha
Ramayana told starting from the killing of Ravana. Sita abandoned. Valmiki rescues Sita.
Kusa, Lava born.
Rama conducts Asvamedha. Lava captures the horse. Satrughna defeats Lava. Kusa defeats
Satrughna. Kusa defeats Lakshmana. Kusa defeats Bharata, Hanuman. Rama fights.
Defeated by Kusa, Rama promises Valmiki that he will accept Kusa, Lava and Sita after
the yaga. Horse, Rama and company released.

28. Curse of Ganga bears fruit
Babhruvahana beheads Arjuna.

29. Despair of Citrangada
Citrangada fires Babhruvahana. He tries to kill himself. Citrangada and Ulupi prevents
him.

30. To Patala in search of Mrtasanjivaka
Ulupi send her friend Pundarika to Patala to get Mrtasanjivika from her father. In Patala,
Ananta agrees but asks for the opinion of snakes.

31. The Opposition by snakes
Because of opposition from other snakes, Pundarika returns emptyhanded.

32. Babruvahana to Patala
Babhruvahana conquers the snakes. Gets Mrtasanjivaka.

33. The revenge of the snake
The snake Dhrtarastra's son Durbuddhi goes to Manipura and steals Arjuna's head before
Babhruvahana arrives.

34. Arjuna is revived
Sitting in Hastinapura, Krishna knows everything, instantaneously comes to Manipura, re-
vives the dead Vrshadhvaja and Arjuna, in that order.

35. Hospitality of Babruvahana

36. In the land of Mayuradhvaja
Babruvahana joins Arjuna's group and reachs Mayuradhvaja's country in the north. Mayu-
radhvaja is a great Vishnu bhakta and has a son named Sucitra (also called Tamradhvaja).
Mayuradhvaja starts an Asvamedha and his son follows the horse. The two horses meet.
Tamradhvaja hopes to have Srikrishna at the conclusion of the eighth yaga. To achieve this,
he captures Yudhisthira's horse and readies for war with Arjuna. Krishna takes over the
lead of Arjuna's army.

37. Tamradhvaja wins
After many defeats, Arjuna requests Krishna to stop fighting and become his charioteer.
Arjuna gets defeated. Krishna takes Chakra and jumps at Tamradhavaja. After profusely
praising Krishna, Tamadhvaja falls at his feet. He takes hold of Krishna and tries to grab
Arjuna also. Krishna thinks it is difficult to defeat Tamradhvaja. He decides to try a trick.
Arjuna follows. Both pretend that they are dead.

38. Tamradhvaja returns to father
Seeing both dead, Tamradhvaja abandons them in the battlefield and goes to his father.
Mayuradhvaja scolds Tamradhvaja for abandoning Krishna and Arjuna after taking hold of
them. Tamradhvaja returns to battlefield.

39. Krishna and Arjuna in disguise
Left by Tamradhvaja in the battlefield, Krishna disguises as a bhiksu. Arjuna disguises as
his student. They enter Myuradhvaja's capital. They are impressed that everyone in the
city is a Krishna bhakta.

40. Mayuradhvaja put to test
Mayuradhvaja is asked to offer his flesh to a lion to save the Bikshu from a predictament.
He asks his wife and son to cut him in half. When Mayuradhvaja is half cut, Krishna is
pleased by his bhakti and reveals his true form.

41. Mayuradhvaja surrenders
Mayuradhvaja abandons his yaga and joins Arjuna along with his son.

42. To Sarasvata
Viravarmaka is the king of Sarasvata. Viravarmaka's army fails. He sends Kala to fight
against Arjuna. Arjuna's army gets defeated. Krishna explains how Kala became the son-
in-law of Viravarmaka.

43. How Kala becomes the son-in-law
Viravarmaka's daughter Malini wishes to marry Kala. The fantastic story of how the wish
was fulfilled:
Narada comes to know about Malini's wish. He wonders: Knowing everything, why Kala
hesitates to marry Malini? Narada approaches Kala and tells him about Malini. Kala agrees
to marry Malini at the next auspicious time. Narada promptly informs Malini.
At the proper time, Kala takes the human form and goes to Viravarmaka's city. Yakshmav is
his army chief. Kala requests Yakshmav and his chief soldiers to accompany him. Yakshmav
is hesitant because Viravarmaka is a Brahmin-bhakta. Kala's soldiers (Yakshmav and others
who are terrible diseases) are afraid to enter the city. Kala tells them to take beautiful forms
(their natural forms are horrible) and enter the city. He tells them that to dharma followers
they will appear nice but adharma followers will be affected by them. Then follows a huge
list of what kind of disease will attack what kind of adharma act and what is the remedy in
each case.
Yama is pleased with Kanyadana. He requests Viravarmaka to accept a boon. Viravarmaka
is hesitant. After much persuasion, he requests the boon that on the day of his death, he
should have the fortune to meet Krishna in person.
Yama grants the boon. In addition he promises to stay in the city till the death of Viravar-
maka and repel anyone who attacks the city.

44. The valour of Viravarmaka
Viravarmaka defeats Krishna and Arjuna by means of Bhakti.
At this point in the narrative, the listeners criticise people in general who don't follow the
path of Bhakti. They request Jaimini to advise them on the path to reach Krishna.
Jaimini continues. Viravarmaka also joins Arjuna's group.

45. In Kuntalapuri
The horses after crossing a river, reach near the palace in Kuntalapuri. Those who follow
can't cross the river. Narada arrives. Narada tells them that the king of Kuntalapuri is
Candrahasa, a great Vishnu bhakta. Arjuna wants to hear Candrahasa's story.

46. Blessed Candrahasa
A son is born to the king of Kerala. Astrologers predict that the child will be a great Vishnu
bhakta. But because of him, great calamities will happen, king will die in an enemy attack.
They advise to destroy the child. King refuses. The minister employs chandalas to take the
child to a forest and kill him. Child prays to Vishnu. Candalas, unable to kill the child,
abandons him in the forest. The long miraculous narrative of how Candrahasa became the
king of Kuntalapuri.
Chandrahasa's sons capture the horse. Candrahasa embraces Krishna and Arjuna who stays
in his country for a while.

47. Journey continues
Horses reach ocean and disappear in it. Arjuna and others find them walking over the
waves. Those who follw also travel over waves and reach a lagoon where they find an
ancient Rishi. The rishi, Bakadalbhya narrates how he abandoned ahamkara. His meeting
with the brahma (four faces), who together meet a second brahma (eight faces), the three
together meet another brahma (sixteen faces). Meetings continue. Finally finds a Brahma
with thousand faces who tells the greatness of Vishnu.

48. To Saindhava
Hearing Arjuna's arrival, Suratha (Jayadratha's son) falls dead. Dussala requests Krishna
to revive him. Krishna obliges. Arjuna request Dussala and Suratha to participate in the
Yaga.

49. Yaga
After almost an year, all reach Hastinapura. Krishna summarises the trip to Yudhisthira.
All the accompanying kings are introduced.

50. Conclusion
Vyasa tells Yudhisthira that sixty four men should go, accompanied by their respective
wives, to bring in water from Ganga. Vyasa names the important men. Krishna is included
with wife Rugmini. Narada watches the trip. He thinks: What will people say if I don't
cause Kalaha? He goes to Satyabhama and reports that Krishna has taken Rugmini with
him. Satyabhama refuses to take the bait saying that Krishna is sleeping inside. He tells
awakened Krishna to go to Yaga with Satyabhama. Scene is repeated with Jambavati and
other wives. Narada confirms that even in the house of every gopa woman, Krishna resides.
The horse, brought to be killed, says something. Nakula who knows the language of animals
interpret. Horse is saying that, all the other horses before him reached heaven after being
killed at Asvamedha. But because of Krishna's presence, He is going to get absorbed in
Krishna. This miracle, along with some others, happens.
Srikrishna is honored. Vyasa is given lot of wealth which he distributes among poor brah-
mins.

51. Appendix
Yaga is over. Two brahmins arrive. They have a problem which Yudhisthira should resolve.
One brahmin has sold farming land to the second one. While sowing, the latter found a
gold filled pot. He wants to return it to the one who sold the land. But the one who sold,
refuses.
Yudhisthira can't decide. Seeing this Krishna says: come after three months. A decision
will be reached then, that will make both happy. The brahmins leave the wealth with the
king and go back. Yudhisthira asks: You know everything. Then why the delay? Krishna
answers: In the third month, Kaliyuga starts. Good thougts all disappear by then. Those
same brahmins will come back after three months and fight to be the sole owner of the gold
pot. I understand that, on that day you will divide it equally between them.
Krishna gives a description of Kaliyuga.
Jaimini continues: After some days, a miraculous happening. That is interesting to hear. I
will narrate it briefly. A mongoose comes and says aloud that Yudhisthira's yaga is nothing
compared to that of Saktuprastha who lives by Ucchavrtti.
Story of Saktuprastha.
Janamejaya asks Jaimini: Who was that one who took the form of of a mongoose and spoke
in human language?
Story of the previous life of mongoose. It was Krodha who was cursed by his forefathers
for testing and causing trouble to Jamadagni. Telling about Saktuprastha's ucchavrtti at
Yudhisthira's yaga will release him from curse.
Released from curse, Krodha goes back to his place.