Shyam Benegal wants Bebo for film on Noor Inayat Khan

Posted: 10 years ago

Spy princess and a gypsy

Feb 11, 2014 - Pramita Bose

Noor, the daughter of Inayat Khan and a descendant of Tipu Sultan's imperial lineage, had served as a British spy during the Second Great War as a formal SOE agent. Historical records reveal that she became the first female radio operator to be sent from Britain into occupied France to aid the French Resistance.

"Initially, we acquired a producer from Europe but that unfortunately backfired in want of a right kind of budget. So we are now working out the logistics to probably pitch in as a co-production unit and tie up with a big distribution company," he says.

Asked if he has zeroed in on any actress who he thinks can fit the bill to essay an author-backed role like Noor's, the director promptly replies: "Yeah, there have been several people on my mind from Britain, France and India too. But one face that can perfectly suit the character to the tee is Kareena Kapoor. That would be an apt casting in my opinion. For Noor was a beautiful, slender girl with nice features. Kareena looks a lot like her." Quite a casting coup that'd be. Interestingly, 12 years ago her sister Karisma Kapoor had essayed the title role in Benegal's much critically-appreciated movie Zubeidaa.
Also slated to reel an epic musical titled Chamki Chameli, inspired by George Bizet's classic Spanish opera Carmen, Benegal saab informs that "at the moment, the subject is yet again sitting as a script on my desk. But that doesn't mean the film has been shelved forever. Fact is, movies like these do cost a fortune. Look, I wanted to make this almost a dozen years ago and had come quite close to laying down its spadework. But it could never get off the ground. While a certain genre of films will always find takers to be funded on a hefty budget, projects like these suffer much difficulty in procuring a producer. But this particular film I feel should cater to the interest of a large section of audience."
The story revolves around Chamki, a beautiful gypsy girl with a fiery temper. Written by Shama Zaidi, the music is scored by A. R. Rahman and lyrics penned by Javed Akhtar.
Edited by desigal90 - 10 years ago
THIS is the role of a lifetime. I don't wanna get too excited but yes, I'm hoping Bebo accepts this film. She will nail it!! Go girl go!! 😊

For God's sake. DO IT! Do ONE film that we'll be proud of!

If it is a great role then there is 80% chance Kareena will say no. What a shame. 
That sounds interesting. Hope this works out and she accepts it. This over Shetty's Golmaal type role written esp. for Kareena. 

But Benegal is still looking for a producer for the film. He hasn't taken it to Kareena yet

That was really sweet of him, I completely agree with his comment! Oh Bebo, if he offers you the role please naa mat karna. 😳
Bebo do it no more mood changes

I hope she does it. 
Just one role like this and she will be back with a bang. I hope bebo doesn't say no to it. She's such a good actress. I am sure she can nail this role. 
Edited by Saraa. - 10 years ago
Oh pls pls pls pls do this BEBO!!!! * HANDS TIGHTLY CROSSED*