someone to pick up clothes to be ironed, someone to
deliver your stuff from the market, someone to take your
lunch to you, and soo much more! In American you have to
take care of everything yourself which can lead to a very
stressful life! I know many young people in India have dreams
to move to the US and get a job...but I think they should be
really happy to be livng in their homeland with their own
people 😊

good points, but when I think of it...I love drivingπŸ˜†and I honestly think I'd be a lazy bum if I had a maid to do everything for me, I think having to do some house chores keeps you going. But, yes, it is very comfortable when you have a driver and a maid

*Shona* thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 17 years ago
I somewhat agree with you momogirl 😊 ... but I also agree with Desi Pride's point.

When I was in India, we had a maid, a gardener, a driver, a gaurd and what not! And yes life was really easy. I now think that life was 'too' easy. I didnt have to do anything.

But once I moved to Canada, it wasnt the same. We still have a cleaning lady who comes every other week, but its not like India where we have someone 24/7. And I am very grateful to that fact. I have learned to cook, to do my own chores and have become less depandant on others.

Maybe once I have a full married family life and a job it will become stressful, but as of now I think its better I dont have those maids & helpers around me 24/7. 😳

I dont live in the US .. but I think life in Canada is not much different than it is in America.

Just my points .. no offence. 😊
Aparna_BD thumbnail
OK i must admit i miss my cook and cleaning lady like hell. I left India just 3 years back, the fist year i would wake up every Sunday and almost bellowed "Madhuri ......plllllzzzzzzzzz ek cup Coffee lay aa"😳

BUT if its help that attracts you let me tell you of my experience and the experience of millions in India that employ help at home.

(the smallest violin in the world plays in the back ground as a narrate this)

My sweet Madhuri (cook)and Laccho(cleaning lady) would take leave exactly on those days i would tell her i am expecting guests over. Infact i stopped telling her just to surprise her. But she was a hard nut to crack, she would walk in , see the crowd in my living room and immediatelly tell me how ill her son was !!😭

She always planned a leave when i was ill. Her husband fell ill too. Its like we had some sort of spirtual connection.😭

My Laccho would break more and clean less. When i would scold her she would " Koi baat nahin .....hota hai ...hota hai !!" Areeeeee shouldn't i be saying it ???!!!???πŸ˜•

My most stressfull moments were Diwali, Holi, Eid, Christams and all major holidays. We are especially expected to give them bonus + a gift + some mithai + A new saree. I would spend days stressing on what gift to give - cooker preasure or a room cooler. But what ever i gave was always not even a bit as good as what Mrs.Sharma gave her.😭

Madhuri suddenly falls ill............my pressure goes up thinking how will i manage !!😭😭

Laccho wants to quit !!! I am suddenly bed ridden as the thought even makes me ill.😭

Haan ji so the point is having help was great but the stress never made it a great plus point !!

I realised if i learnt to be independant with out help i am 100 times happier !!

Now you spoke of public transport !!!!! Trust me if you are not born and brought up to use a public transport you can't step into one. 🀒

I used DTC's( Delhi transportation Authority) in my college days. I often had my perv's rubbing their * gross* on me from behind. This is every girls story.I had to run in and catch the bus before the driver got his bus moving. There is no leg room to stand you are mostly packed like sardines !!  In the section where it says " For women only" You had young men always sitting there. If you asked them to vacate , i had one tapori respond after looking at me in jeans and t- shirt " Tum to Mahila nahin ho......so why should i get up"I was 😑.....now i am πŸ˜†πŸ˜† !!

I switched to auto's.................my pressure started to rise again fighting with the auto walas because their meter was rigged, because he deliberately took a long route to make money, or said " Madam i have no change " when i gave him a big note !!!!! Once an auto wala threw money at my face because i told him i will only pay by the meter card. He said so 🀬 off !! Take your money and drove off !! I was happy to have gotten a free ride !!πŸ˜†πŸ˜† What an idiot auo wallah !!πŸ˜†

My point - I LOVE India!!!! If i go back i will go back to be with my family and to be with my own fellow country men !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me neither do servants attract me nor does the sucky public transportation system !!πŸ˜›

Originally posted by: momogrl21

Being born and brought up in America, I do not
think it is the best place to live. When I go to India,
I see how much easier it is there. You do not need
to own a car because of the many transportation
methods. Even middle class families have someone to
clean the house, wash dishes, etc. In America, just
thinking of a maid would cost a lot. In India, you have
people 😊

Edited by Aparna_BD - 17 years ago
*Shona* thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Aparna_BD

(the smallest violin in the world plays in the back ground as a narrate this)

πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜† is it playing sad music di??πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

ur madhuri & laccho story wuz soo cute ... meri aankhon mein aansoon aa gaye!πŸ˜‰

actually thats very true ... handling these maids is a full time job in itself

i've never travelled in DTC so cant say anything about that .. but i've used autos ... which i think are ok-ish .. they can be a nuisance sometimes though.

Aparna_BD thumbnail

Originally posted by: J.

πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜† is it playing sad music di??πŸ˜†πŸ˜† Meri past life ki tragedy hai and you are laughing !!😑

ur madhuri & laccho story wuz soo cute ... meri aankhon mein aansoon aa gaye!πŸ˜‰ My eyes were all blurry with tears when i was typing !!😭

actually thats very true ... handling these maids is a full time job in itself

i've never travelled in DTC so cant say anything about that .. but i've used autos ... which i think are ok-ish .. they can be a nuisance sometimes though. They are OK "sometimes". Infact when i visit India and take auto i don't care about paying them Rs 1 or Rs 2 extra. But when you do it on a daily basis ................ you get heart burns and you get irritated about paying extra every time.

momogrl21 thumbnail

No no...I'm not saying only the help attracts me. The best thing is like you said being with your fellow country men and my being close with my family who I can visit only every two years. I was just laying out some facts that differenciate India and America. But being with your own is always the BEST! I also love my India! 😊

Originally posted by: Aparna_BD

My point - I LOVE India!!!! If i go back i will go back to be with my family and to be with my own fellow country men !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me neither do servants attract me nor does the sucky public transportation system !!πŸ˜›

momogrl21 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Desi Pride

good points, but when I think of it...I love drivingπŸ˜†and I honestly think I'd be a lazy bum if I had a maid to do everything for me, I think having to do some house chores keeps you going. But, yes, it is very comfortable when you have a driver and a maid

well said! but i'm not saying the maid should do everything! its just nice to have some help. i try to help my mom as much as i could.sometimes i tell her hust to relax! just because you have a maid in india, doesn't mean you're relaxing at home. my aunt in mumbai has a maid who washes dishes and cleans the house but that doesn't stop my aunt from making three meals a day for her family, folding clothes, and doing other stuff. but when you have someone to help you it feels sort of nice. You still have certain things to do 😊

Neelu.RoX thumbnail
For some odd reason, even though i was born and raised in the US, it not my favorite place to live. To tell you the truth i really hate it here! Whenever i visit India i just feel more at home and more comfertable there with the people. Maybe because I am just like them. But when i am in the US, everything is so different, even though the people are nice i just feel out of place. i guess it was the way i was bought up.

My parents like ot here, but they Love india, and they are just here since they have a good life, they are scared to move bacl there and not have a good life. I am a minor so i have to live with my parents. But when i graudate univeristy, i am definalty going to go to india. 😊
Neelu.RoX thumbnail

Originally posted by: momogrl21

Being born and brought up in America, I do not
think it is the best place to live. When I go to India,
I see how much easier it is there. You do not need
to own a car because of the many transportation
methods. Even middle class families have someone to
clean the house, wash dishes, etc. In America, just
thinking of a maid would cost a lot. In India, you have
people 😊

I agree with you 100%. I was born and raisied here in the US. But i just dont feel at home for some reason. Maybe its because of the people here are just not as friendly. People in India just call eachother Bhaiya and Bhena even if u dont know them! As what you said, its so much of a easier life in India, you dont have to do any of the work your self, usless you really have no money. Its so realiving to know you can go anywhere whenever you want without having a car or a driver.  Resident Indians have the life man!