{Krishna-Arjuna-Satyabhama} -the less known 'sakha-sakhi' relationship

Medha.S thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago
We all know about the intense relationship of the "the three krishna" trio as told to us by the fourth krishna i.e. Ved Vyasa himself. The Sakha-Sakhi dynamics of Arjuna-Krishna-Draupadi trio is a much talked about and discussed.

But Arjuna, of all of the Krishnas wives was closest to Satyabhama.

Satyabhama was Krishnas Second wife and was a very cheerished one. She was a devotee and care taker of Lord Vishnu himself, and he had promised to her that she will be his wife in another reincarnation.

Because of that,She was very dear to Krishna and he did each and everything he could to keep her happy, going to lengths to give her everything she wished for. (reminds you of someone? yes.Arjuna)

She was also very independent and outspoken like Draupadi and lived on her own terms in a male dominated society.
She also had much more similarities with Arjuna. She had a great inspiration to live her life to the fullest, not letting anything limit her, not even her gender.

She was a learned warrior and was a great archer, some of things that Krishna especially liked about her.

We get to see a very beautiful scene in Mahabharata that gives us some clue to the Sakha-Sakhi dynamics of " Krishna-Arjuna-Satyabhama".

Krishna-Arjuna, wherever they were, either in the forests or in palaces, always had a separate quarters just for themselves. Only Draupadi and the first two or three wives of Krishna were allowed to enter it.

Around the time of war,Sanjaya, the messanger of the Kauravas was also allowed to enter.

And through Sanjaya we get to see this unique dynamics.

Sanjaya, entering the Quarters where Krishna-Arjuna were using, beautifully furnished with all the comforts and the finest species of flowers, adorned with beautiful furniture and seating is stuck with wonder to find Krishna sleeping with Arjunas thigh as his pillow on a bed adorned with silk sheets and the softest pillow. There is a content smile on his face while Arjuna is sitting with his feet in Satyabhmas lap, both quietly laughing in between a delightful conversation.

Krishna, sensing Sanjayas presence gets up to welcome the messenger, who was not even noticed by Arjuna and Satyabhama at first, for they were to caught up in their interaction.

Krishna, gives Sanjaya a beautifully decorated seat and  then himself,sits opposite to him. Then they both wait.
Krishna just sitting with him with a smile on his face, while his Sakha and wife are still talking.Finally, laughing at something between them, Arjuna accompanies Satyabhama to the exit and then greets Satyabhama good night with loving smile and hugs.

Sanjaya, still sitting their quietly, ever the silent observer, sees all this dumbstruck. Arjuna finally joins them and greats Sanjaya.

Krishna, then moving a little aside, pats the side of his seat and smiles up at Arjuna to which Arjuna replies with his own loving smile and goes to sit with Krishna.

Then sitting on the same seat, opposite to Sanjaya, these two ask him to relay the messages from the Hastinapur. Sanjaya feels overwhelmed with something out of this world. Seeing the whole interaction since he entered the room and now the two krishnas, resembling the Sun and Moon themselves, it makes him feel dominated by something he could not explain.

Sanjaya goes to Dhritrashtra, and when asked about the happenings with the Two Krishnas, first explains what he saw with bafflement.

NOTE: Arjuna and Krishna were both very revolutionary by their thoughts, these two were always discussing about ways to make progress in every part of the daily lives of people and also the more political and social parts.

It is worth noticing that only Krishna and Arjuna could put aside their egos and accept Women as their equals or more. That is why, when other men thought of women as lesser beings and only worth being a wife, daughter, a child bearer ... Krishna-Arjuna had tons of  "sakhi sakha" relationships in which they treated women as their equal. They were manly enough to be secure in who they were and accept women as their friends, and even cheerfully dress up as women if it was needed, not to mention their passion and skills in dance, music and other things related to feminism.The woman who were friends with these two were always made to feel as if they were no less than them.

They could advice them, take advice from them, fight with them and fight for them, hug them and say loving words to them, sit and laugh and eat with them, play with them and even drink alcohol in their presence without being made to feel any lesser than them.Amazing. Were they not?

Just another thing that set the "Arjuna-Krishna" duo apart from their peers. Hale the two krishnas. 

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

debaleena_tunai thumbnail
 supaaa post Medha... 👍🏼 👏
sweetlife thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
nice...
never knew this story of mahabharat
--Royal-- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Woow nice post medha.. 👍🏼
X_Life thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
superb post
its nice to know some other parts of mahabharata too.
thank u for the info
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Thanks for sharing the lovely story!

Btw, Satyabhama was the  3rd wife of Lord Krishna. He married Devi Rukmini first, Jambavathi second and then Satyabhama shortly after on the same day he married Jambavathi.
Abhisheking thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Amazing post,Medha di...I dint knew about Satyabhama and Arjuna relationship...😉
ThePirateKing thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Yeah Arjuna had a great sakha-sakhi relationship with Satyabhama. Even when visiting the Pandavas in the forest, Krishna was accompanied by Satyabhama.

Interestingly when it came to Krishna's sons, Arjuna was closest to Rukmini's son Pradyumna rather than any of Satyabhama's sons. 
Edited by CapeBuffalo - 10 years ago
Atiratha2.0 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
-Actually Arjuna gave Sanjaya a FOOT STOOL to sit on..
-And Arjuna put his legs one on Krishna's lap and one on Satyabhama's..
-And noone was sleeping and no hugging other's wife here..

It's in the original Vyasa's text:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m05/m05059.htm

Dhritarashtra said, 'Tell me, O thou of great wisdom, what high-souled Vasudeva and Dhananjaya said. I am anxious to hear from thee all about this.'

"Sanjaya said, 'Listen, O king, as I tell thee the state in which I found Krishna and Dhananjaya. I will also, O Bharata, tell thee what those heroes said; O king, with looks bent down and hands joined together, and with senses well restrained, I entered the inner apartments for conferring with those gods among men. Neither Abhimanyu nor the Twins can repair to that place where are the two Krishnas and Draupadi and lady Satyabhama. There I beheld those chastisers of foes, exhilarated with Bassia wine, their bodies adorned with garlands of flowers. Attired in excellent robes and adorned with celestial ornaments, they sat on a golden dais, decked with numerous gems, and covered over with carpets of diverse texture and hue. And I beheld Kesava's feet resting upon Arjuna's lap while those of the high-souled Arjuna rested upon the laps of Krishna and Satyabhama. Partha then pointed out to me (for a seat) a foot-stool made of gold. Touching it with my hand, I seated myself down on the ground. And when he withdraw his feet from the foot-stool, I beheld auspicious marks on both his soles. Those consisted of two longitudinal lines running from heels to fore-toe, O sire, endued with black complexions, of high statures, and erect like Sala trunks, beholding those youthful heroes, both seated on the same seat..Edited by Atiratha2.0 - 10 years ago
Medha.S thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Hmm in some translation in tamil and in bangali too krishnas head is in arjunas lap and arjuna has his legs in satyabhama, but in some draupadi is there too and as she is a krishna too ... Arjuna has his legs in satyabhama and krishnas lap, because krishna(keshva) had his feet or his head in arjunas lap(depends on which translation is consulted) so it will not be anatomicaly possible for arjuna to have his feet in this krishnas lap so it is krishna(draupadi) in whoms lap arjuns leg is(if she is there first)