Time to announce my retirement: Sonu Nigam

khan.baba thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 10 years ago
After a tussle with music company T-series, Sonu Nigam hastily announced his retirement that left his ardent fans shocked and worried and expressed his displeasure over some contractual issues. Sonu did not stop at just this but requested the people to take up the issue and support his cause as they have supported the concerns of the LGBT community. While we get to the bottom of the problem, here are some of Sonu's tweets for you...

Just about to go on stage in Singapore, so can't talk... but it's not my decision. Its a collective decision of the fraternity to abstain from illegal and feudal like contracts. Rest later...

All of us used to sign until we were made aware about the illegality of the contracts. If I show u a sample of the contract they make composers, lyrics writers and singers sign, you'll faint. We can all end up in the jail in the future. They r lucky that the press hasn't gotten into the depth of the matter. It's feudal, humiliating and illegal,and can only end up in tedious and deliberate court cases for nuisance value. Who wants to get into it.?

I'd rather sit at home and do Yoga than get into this mess. Shekhar ji is a good man, and understands our compulsions. I've asked him to get my voice dubbed by anyone who agrees to sign this... I'm sure the music will speak for itself.

So actually I think it is time for me to announce my retirement from film music.

Rape is crime..of course. So we talk about it. So verbally abusing Shreya Ghoshal's manager (maa behen ki gaaliyaan) isn't? 4 not signing!

What we are asking for. .is already given to us by the constitution. They r merely trying to take it away through fractured contracts.

My parents didn't give birth 2 me, 2 be subservient to a music company just because I can sing.

You have to hear my song in Heartless. .. it's the soul of the film. Shame that Shekhar ji has to suffer bcuz of all this.

Anybody can be a musician tomorrow. A journalists' child too. Our Stand is only to safeguard the future musicians.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/music/news-and-interviews/Time-to-announce-my-retirement-Sonu-Nigam/articleshow/27288670.cms

Edited by sonunigamfan - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

khan.baba thumbnail
T series wants him to sign a contract which will ultimate deprived the right from him to get Royalty on all of his work .
he mentioned
"All of us used to sign until we were made aware about the illegality of the contracts. If I show u a sample of the contract they make composers, lyrics writers and singers sign, you'll faint. We can all end up in the jail in the future. They r lucky that the press hasn't gotten into the depth of the matter. It's feudal, humiliating and illegal,and can only end up in tedious and deliberate court cases for nuisance value. Who wants to get into it.? "
ponymo thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Why is he retiring if he has a problem with one music company? Guess there is more to this.

One thing for sure is that the treatment meted out to singers in this industry is pathetic. They get paid peanuts, they can be replaced anytime, they will sing the song but when they watch the movie there will be another singer singing it, the list is endless. If this is the way star singers are treated, imagine how tough it must be for aspiring singers? Even those who have managed to win reality shows like Indian Idol have disappeared. Sad..
Guinea thumbnail

The issue is that these music companies donot want the composer/ singer/ lyricist to have any rights on the song ...in terms of royalty as well as performing in other stage shows etc. All the rights lie only with the music company. 
This is just teribble and the singers who do not pay heed , their songs are dubbed by a start up singer who would not have the guts to protest ...
salta thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
I don't know what happens, but his retirement...no freaking way. he's an awesome singer, a ray of hope among these below the belt kinda singers. Gosh... i hope something happens, and he continues singing.
khan.baba thumbnail

Originally posted by: Guinea

The issue is that these music companies donot want the composer/ singer/ lyricist to have any rights on the song ...in terms of royalty as well as performing in other stage shows etc. All the rights lie only with the music company. 
This is just teribble and the singers who do not pay heed , their songs are dubbed by a start up singer who would not have the guts to protest ...

exactly everyone from this fraternity should stand out and speak for their rights
Edited by sonunigamfan - 10 years ago
iambest thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
What nooo :(...he was the last classic singer left in Bollywood ... with  out him i could say RIP to Bollywood music and songs ...he was the one who was known as playback voice of Khans of industry :(
.Anamika. thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
It's sad if this is true. His voice is truly a gift to India. It was magical. I don't know the inside politics but I'm sure singers get paid very little and today with so many talent shows, they're so replaceable.
DianaPrince thumbnail
nooo!!!!!!!
sonu has one of the best voice ever!!!

grounder thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
all these studios and production houses are nothing but sweat shops .. they don't value the real artists' talent and hardwork