bitblue thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

Prithviraj Rathore's letter

The letter from Prithviraj Rathore was sent to Pratap in poetic language, ran like this.

Patal sun Patshah, bole mukh hunta bayan
Mihir picham dis mahn, uge kasap rao ut
Patakun munchyan pan, ke patakun nij tan karad
Dije likh Deewan,in do mahali bat ik

(The mouth of Pratap has begun to say "Badshah". O Rao! has the sun started rising in the West, as well? Should I keep my hand over my mustache or should my body fall with my own hands? O Deewan! write an answer chosing between the two)

Pratap replied to this letter like this.

Turak kahasi turakado, in mukh sun Ikling
Uge jya hi ugasi, prachi bich Patang
Khushi hunt Peethal Kamadh, patako munchyan pan
Jete hai pachatan Pato, kilama sir kewan

(Lord Eklingji will always make my mouth call him "Turk". The sun will rise in the east always. O Prithviraj Rathore be happy and put your hand on your mustache. Till Pratap stands on his feet, his sword will keep hovering over the heads of the invaders.)

When the exiles were facing the prospect of actual starvation, Pratap wrote to Akbar indicating his readiness to negotiate a treaty. Pratap's first cousin (his mother's sister's son) Prithviraj Rathore, who was one of Akbar's coutiers, heard of this overture. He is said to have grown despondent and written thus to his cousin Pratap:

The hopes of the Hindu rest on the Hindu surya yet the Rana forsakes them. But for Pratap, all would be placed on the same level by Akbar; for our chiefs have lost their valour and our females their honour. Akbar is the broker in the market of our race; he has purchased all but the son of Udai (Singh II of Mewar); he is beyond his price. What true Rajput would part with honour for nauroza (the Persian new years' festival, where Akbar selected women for his pleasure); yet how many have bartered it away? Will Chittor come to this market ...? Though Patta (an affectionate name for Pratap Singh) has squandered away wealth (on warfare), yet he has preserved this treasure. Despair has driven man to this market, to witness their dishonour: from such infamy the descendant of Hammir (Maharana Hammir) alone has been preserved. The world asks, from where does the concealed aid of Pratap emanate? None but the soul of manliness and his sword.. The broker in the market of men (Akbar) will one day be surpassed; he cannot live forever. Then will our race come to Pratap, for the seed of the Rajput to sow in our desolate lands. To him all look for its preservation, that its purity may again become resplendent. It is as much impossible for me to believe that Pratap has called Akbar his emperor as to see the sun rising in the west. Tell me where do I stand? Shall I use my sword on my neck or shall I continue my proud bearing?"

Pratap replied to him:

"By my God Eklinga, Pratap would call the emperor Turk alone (the word 'Turk' carries a pejorative flavour in many Indian languages) and the sun would rise in the east. You may continue your proud bearing as long as Pratap's sword dangles on the mughal head. Pratap would be guilty of Sanga's blood, if he was to tolerate Akbar. you would have the better of it, no doubt Prithviraj, in this wordy quarrel."

Thus ended the incipient rapprochement between Pratap and Akbar.

Akbar's expeditions

Akbar kept sending expedition after expedition against Maharana Pratap but never succeeded. He lost lot of money and men in trying to defeat Maharana Pratap. For 30 years Pratap remained ahead of Akbar and in last ten years of his life was able to free most of his kingdom. The only fort Pratap could not recover was Chittor and that saddened him a lot. His son, Amar Singh, won that fort after Pratap's death.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

rishabgosavi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
that's nice n thanks for sharing
cherryberry293 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Thanks @Bitblue for sharing this inspiring piece of history 😊

It shows even those Rajputs who surrendered to Akbar were not fully accepted him as a ruler. They wantes Pratap to stand and fought against him.
But in critical conditions faced by MP, only moral support doesn't work. Why they never tried to help MP against Akbar?? They could have helped him through many indirect ways.

In this letter Prithviraj Rathore is boosting MPs moral and saying that MP is the hope of enture Rajputana , I wish ki Sirf bolne k alawa in logone MP Aur Rajputane k liye kuch Aur bhi kiya hota ...

And reading lines abt how Rajput women were disgraced by invaders, it makes my blood boil 😑

Actually the same article had been posted when this forum started , you will find it on last few pages but its so touchy dat it feels good to read again n again 😊
shrinath thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: cherryberry293

It shows even those Rajputs who surrendered to Akbar were not fully accepted him as a ruler. They wantes Pratap to stand and fought against him.
But in critical conditions faced by MP, only moral support doesn't work. Why they never tried to help MP against Akbar?? They could have helped him through many indirect ways.

In this letter Prithviraj Rathore is boosting MPs moral and saying that MP is the hope of enture Rajputana , I wish ki Sirf bolne k alawa in logone MP Aur Rajputane k liye kuch Aur bhi kiya hota ...

And reading lines abt how Rajput women were disgraced by invaders, it makes my blood boil 😑

Actually the same article had been posted when this forum started , you will find it on last few pages but its so touchy dat it feels good to read again n again 😊

Yes ur right. They Surrendered to Mughals because their army was not that powerful as the Mughals. They surrendered  only so that they can hit back when the perfect time comes & defeat their enemy once for all. Knowing this very well Akbar played safely by giving grand reception & treating well all the representatives sent by Rajput kings to his court, & even in some cases taking rajput Princesses in marriage so as to avoid any chance of a revolt in the future. Even the Rajput kings were left with no choice but to accept the marriage proposal thinking that this will allow them to live peacefully with out any danger of a future Mughal invasion.  
Intrepida thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: bitblue

Akbar kept sending expedition after expedition against Maharana Pratap but never succeeded. He lost lot of money and men in trying to defeat Maharana Pratap. For 30 years Pratap remained ahead of Akbar and in last ten years of his life was able to free most of his kingdom. The only fort Pratap could not recover was Chittor and that saddened him a lot. His son, Amar Singh, won that fort after Pratap's death.

Jai Mewad!! Jai ho Maharana Pratap ki!! his tactics were passed down to the Marathas who weakened the Mughal raj πŸ‘πŸ‘
Intrepida thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

As they say- nirbal shatru se sandhi karni chahiye, aur shaktishali shatru se yudh! - so all the other weak hearted rajputs were no match against jalal (even though they could have banded together against them, but were too arrogant to do so), but Maharana Pratap was not any ordinary rajput, he was and is a legend!!! πŸ‘
cherryberry293 thumbnail
Originally posted by: shrinath

Yes ur right. They Surrendered to Mughals because their army was not that powerful as the Mughals. They surrendered only so that they can hit back when the perfect time comes & defeat their enemy once for all. Knowing this very well Akbar played safely by giving grand reception & treating well all the representatives sent by Rajput kings to his court, & even in some cases taking rajput Princesses in marriage so as to avoid any chance of a revolt in the future. Even the Rajput kings were left with no choice but to accept the marriage proposal thinking that this will allow them to live peacefully with out any danger of a future Mughal invasion.

U r ri8 @Shrinath they surrendered to Mughals for their for the good of their Kingdoms. But when they fought for Akbar against their own ppl who fought for Rajputana, to save their mother land, glory of Rajputana... I never read anywhere dat those who surrendered to Mughals ever got together and fought against wrong even when there was a chance to do so...

All those Rajputs who did settlement with invaders never assembled and fought back... They got happy in the luxuries they had at d cost of their mother land, at the cost of their pride, at the cost of their women and generations to come.

And its not just d story of MP, it was same with Shivaji Maharaj and it was same in British rule and even in this 21st century it is EXACTLY THE SAME...
Marathi_Mulgi thumbnail
awesome info
thanks for sharing awesome info
i like this forum and feel proud after reading such info shared
loved mp's answer
but feel bad tht people only praise him but not supported him
they can big in power collectively.
mp was also not match with akbar army
but he had courage to stand against him so he din't bow down
Edited by Marathi_Mulgi - 10 years ago
Marathi_Mulgi thumbnail

U r ri8 @Shrinath they surrendered to Mughals for their for the good of their Kingdoms. But when they fought for Akbar against their own ppl who fought for Rajputana, to save their mother land, glory of Rajputana... I never read anywhere dat those who surrendered to Mughals ever got together and fought against wrong even when there was a chance to do so...

All those Rajputs who did settlement with invaders never assembled and fought back... They got happy in the luxuries they had at d cost of their mother land, at the cost of their pride, at the cost of their women and generations to come.

And its not just d story of MP, it was same with Shivaji Maharaj and it was same in British rule and even in this 21st century it is EXACTLY THE SAME...

yeh true there are people like such all n everywhere who can enjoy their luxries at cost of their motherland😑
cherryberry293 thumbnail
Originally posted by: Marathi_Mulgi

awesome info
thanks for sharing awesome info
i like this forum and feel proud after reading such info shared
loved mp's answer
but feel bad tht people only praise him but not supported him
they can big in power collectively.
mp was also not match with akbar army
but he had courage to stand against him so he din't bow down

That's what i m saying ... It's not just about how big ur kingdom was or how big & strong army they had.. its more abt the willpower and courage ... Which most of the Hindu kings lacked