ArHi OS : *Happily Ever After*

GulaabiAakhein. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 10 years ago

*Happily Ever After*

As I looked out of my window I could see a blurred view of a huge lawn and some kids playing outside. I could hear their laughter and as they called out each other's names "Shivam, Catch it!" "No- Shruti-- the ball is there!" "Varun run faster, you sloth!" But I couldn't see their faces clearly. I turned around to get my specs when Arnav, my husband stood with it right behind me. I smiled at him and wore my glasses. My feet felt so weak. I held onto the windowsill and leaned against it looking out. I could see the children properly now. Shivam was 7, Shruti was 10 and Varun was I think 13-- or wait -- 12. I don't seem to remember so well. There was a hand around my shoulder and the next moment I realize that Arnav had me leaning against him all this while. He was still strong. He was still handsome. He still loved me the most. Our life was so complete. There was nothing more I ever wanted. Just a happy family. I rested my head on his shoulder. "Khushi, I'm not so strong to take your whole body weight!" he said with his patent grin. Even though it was wrinkled now, it still made my heart beat faster, which, at my age, isn't a very good thing. I straightened myself. "I am as light as a feather, you've grown too old!" I said. I was angry because his first words this morning should have been something else. But I knew he remembered. He was just diverting my mind. But now it was old, Mr. Raizada, you couldn't fool me. Maybe I could say it first today. "Happy Anniversary Arnav." I said. His eyes widened, "Khushi! No. I wanted to wish you first! How did you even remember? You have a pea-sized memory." "Arnav, How can I forget this day? Even if I try to I can't!" I said laughing. I started coughing in the middle but still. "You should have left me wish you first!" he said. He was still my Laad Governor and I was still his totally pagal Khushi. "Khushi, Happy 50th Anniversary!" Arnav said hugging his old wife. "50 years? Seems like yesterday. You were all strict and scary and I was so innocent and beautiful!" Arnav coughed. "Innocent?" he smirked. I hit him with my weak hands. "And who said you were beautiful?" he asked. "I wans't?" I replied with my mouth wide open. "You still are! You are still the most beautiful person I know!" he said grinning toothlessly. He had made me so happy today. I smiled back at him with my shining dentures. "Khushi, since I said such nice things, could you maybe give me a small sweet kiss?" Arnav said with a wide grin! "You old man!" I said. "You have no shame?" I said sternly. "And plus, you have diabetes, so no sweet for you!" I laughed.

As we walked down the stairs slowly, helping each other and into the living room where Aarav came and hugged us. "Happy Anniversary Papa, Mummy!" He respectfully touched our feet and we hugged him. "Only Happy Anniversary?" Preeti said from the back. We turned around to look at her. "Happy 50th Anniversary Papaji and mummyji!" she said doing the same as Aarav had done. Aarav had grown up so fast and now -- "Dadu Dadu, Happy Anniversary!" the kids came running inside. They hugged Arnav and then came to me. "Happy Anniversary Dadi!" I hugged all 3 of them. This was our family. Who would want anything more from their lives? These 50 years were so happy and easy just because he was with me. We overcame all our tensions and problems together. And today we have a perfect family who loves us so much.

"So kids, what's the plan today?" Arnav asked. Arnav first told me that only we both would go out today. But how could I let that happen. We have a family now we have to be together on this day!

"Papa, we have something special planned for the two of you! We've decided that we are sending you two on a date!"

I was surprised and Arnav's face lit up in a second. "Hey Devi Maiyya, why can't we all go together?" I asked. "No mom. Today is your day! We have a party at home tomorrow and then we can all enjoy. But today is for the two of you!" Aarav decided. Arnav would become his naughty self again tonight. I was happy that we would get to spend time together. Alone. But-- without everyone else.

After having breakfast Aarav got the cake and we were made to cut it. I fed Aarav and then Preeti and then all the kids and Arnav kept waiting to be fed. He fed me cake but I didn't give him cake. "You have diabetes!" I repeated. Arnav had grown fat and plump. He looked like a baby who was overfed. "Come on Khushi, thoda sa!"

"No." I said immediately. He had diabetes. And I could never take a risk in his case. I couldn't lose him. We had come to the final stage of our lives and yet we weren't satisfied. We wanted to spend more time together, to stay longer. Sure we had problems and all but all of them would be negligible when we were with each other. "Mumma, let him eat na!" Preeti requested. "No Preeti, have you seen his size?" I said. "Excuse me?" Arnav replied in his old husky voice. "No one is giving you cake." I stated.

As we entered the room Arnav switched on the TV and sat on the bed watching it. He was angry because I said no for the cake. That's why he was ignoring me. "Arnav-- you know your health is my priority!"

"But Khushi, it's our anniversary!" he said faking his anger. I came and sat next to him. I looked at his wrinkled face and smiled. "You've grown so old but you still haven't change one bit!" I said. He looked at me with a stern face. I looked at him smiling. He turned away. "Arnav atleast today don't get upset?" I said. "You keep doing this!" "I only did it for you. I still want to spend 50 years more with you!" "Uff Khushi, we have- what- around 7 lives more? Too much of each other is not so good!" We had become old but our love was still young. Though now Arnav couldn't pick me up or take me for a drive, we still expressed our love in small ways. Like looking at each other and saying how young the other one looked. Our love is forever. It's immortal.  I rested my head on Arnav's shoulder and he lovingly put his arm around me!

*Cough Cough*

"Sorry to disturb you guys!" Aarav said with a grin. "Oh please, come in!" we said, embarrassed. "Pinaicle time!" The kids said running into our room. Pinaicle -- It's a card game of 4 or 6 players and we play it almost everyday. That's our family time. It's a lot of fun spending those two hours everyday laughing and playing with family. And as today Aarav didn't go for work we played the whole afternoon. Then Aarav and Arnav made lunch for us. I know Aarav did everything because Arnav has never been able to cook and he would probably be ordering Aarav around, like he always does. This was our plan for every Sunday! Husbands made lunch and the wives made dinner. The maids were given a holiday on Sundays!

Later Aarav and Preeti went downstairs to do the arrangements. Even the kids followed them down. They were setting up a date for us at home as we weren't too keen on going out. Instead they would take the kids for dinner. I loved my kids. They always treated us so well. Arnav and I were banned from coming downstairs unless called, so we both sat in our room and Arnav was in for some mischeif. He put his head on my lap and just stared at me. There was something wrong. "Khushi. I love you!" he said. He never forgot to say that. He said that everyday to remind me how much he loved me. I just caressed his hair and said, "love you too!"

I coughed. Arnav jerked up and passed my asthama pump immediately making sure I was okay. Whenever I coughed I saw a fear in his eyes. As if he would die if something happened to me. As if his life was at stake. "I am okay Arnav. Tension mat lo." I said. "Water!" he said scared. His voice became very soft. My eyes were filled with happiness. He was still the same. Some people never changed. He didn't move until he made sure I was lying down.

In the evening when I opened my eyes Arnav was not there. I got up slowly and looked around. I picked up my spectacles from the table and called his name out. No reply. I saw a gift kept on the bed with a rose and a card.  His handwriting was terrible though.

"To My Loving Khushi,

Happy 50thAnniversary. Hope you liked the gift. How could I not buy you a gift?

Love, Laad Governor."

I opened the gift and it was a sweater. I wore it immediately. I went downstairs to see the whole room dark. Candles and red heart-shaped balloons lighted up the room. There was a kind of excitement within my heart. As if it was our first date all over again. As I walked down each step I could remember the day we got married - the 7 pheras and all the functions. 50 years. That's all I thought of.

"Khushi" Arnav said in a soft voice.

I looked up to see him in a suit and so formally dressed. He sat on his knees again making his grey hair so visible. I laughed out loud. He had a confused face. "You're laughing?" he said.

"You look so old!" I said. He shook his head is disbelief. It was so irrelevant! He just took out the ring without getting distracted. He made me wear it and I hugged him. While I hugged him he whispered in my ears "you look atleast 10 years older than me!" I hit him hard on his shoulder and he screamed "Ouch!!"

I laughed. "Now look who is old!"

But Arnav was not laughing. He was in pain. He sat down on the chair still holding onto his arm. I was worried. I went near him and put my hand on his shoulder.

"I am so sorry Arnav!"

"Yes, it's hurting so much."

"I'll get some medicine." I turned around to go when he caught my hand. Oh god! Why hadn't I guessed? I crossed my arms and glared at Arnav. He made an apologetic face and smiled.

"Tum kabhi bhi nahi sudheroge! I was so scared!" but before I could finish he took me in his arms and said "Agar mein sudhar gaya, toh tumhara kya hoga?"  He said winking at me.

"You are too old for romance!" I said.

"Oh please, Khushi Kumari Gupta *cough* Singh Raizada, I am still young!"

"Arnav, please. Leave me!"

Instead he came closer. Arnav never thought he was old. He is still that intense 25 year old ASR! He kissed me on my cheeks and I blushed again.

"Aye Haye, This blush makes you look so young! You've become old now, you don't have that romance left in you." he whispered.

I looked down.

I went and sat down on the table. My legs were feeling weak now. I couldn't stand any longer. He followed me. We sat down and talked for a long time about how we met and all. Those things were never forgotten. We had even told our grandchildren our story and they had laughed on and on listening about their dadu's arrogance and their dadi's craziness! They thought that our story was incredible.

But it was. It was far from real. It was my own fairy tale. Where there were problems but it had to be a happy ending. I don't know how long we will last but these memories will be there even after our end. Each and every moment we spent together will never be forgotten.

The whole evening we talked and talked. Though we were slow in remembering our past but how much ever we remembered was treasured. The food was delicious. Preeti had made it for us. She made sure there was nothing sweet or Arnav wouldn't have left it.

He put his hand over mine and for sometime we just looked at each other. We didn't need words to communicate. We had known each other for 53 years now! It was a great feeling being with the person who loves you so much.

I still remember Arnav's words as he had proposed me.

"Khushi Kumari Gupta, marry me! Or else, I will make sure Aakash and Payal never get married!"

That's how it all started.

No matter how old he was. No matter how old he looked. He will always be the same person I had fallen in love with. That is what love is! Our love just grows stronger with time. We talk less but communicate more and more.

After our dinner we walked up together. Hand in hand. And as we slept in our bed he held my hand tightly and said "I will always love you. Till death do us part."

"Shh... We will be together for eternity. And I will always love you."

The lights were switched off and we slept peacefully.

Edited by DoNotDisturb - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Hi Guys,

Different? Weird? Crazy idea? 

I had written this some time back but I didn't know whether anyone would like it. This story is inspired by my grandparents and I guess I finally posted it.

I am sure no one's ever written on ArHi as grandparents but I just thought of writing this because it's something very few people notice. Love is always young. It never gets old. 

I really hope you'll like it since it's my first ArHi OS. 

Waiting for some feedback :)

-Manjari
Edited by DoNotDisturb - 10 years ago
ar_sajan4evr thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
heyyy manji

lovely n a very sweet os...:))
thnx for d pm..😊
Edited by ar_sajan4evr - 10 years ago
cheesemad thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
pooji:)

Thnkuu cheen πŸ€—

I knw i m late 

Here is my cmnt

Beautiful os manjari

The way u wrote specially d tym u showed was beautifull

Love doesnt have any tym

Frn a child to old person anyone cn love 

And dat is clearly shown in dis os 

The way khushi cared for him and his diabities for her selfish reason for her love

The way he feared wen khushi got pain 

The way dere children loved dem and grandchlidrens too

Sooo many emotions in such cute way i was really happy that u wrote dis

Fab os manjari

Dooo write like dis

Loved it β€οΈ

Awesome one πŸ‘πŸΌ
Edited by cheesemad - 10 years ago
seeta_naips thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
that was so sweet

you say this was inspired by your grandparents
that is so sweet to know

my grandparents were happily married for 67 years until my
grandfather (nana) passed away in April of this year he was 84
and my nani is still alive she is 82

Originally posted by: seeta_naips

that was so sweet

you say this was inspired by your grandparents
that is so sweet to know

my grandparents were happily married for 67 years until my
grandfather (nana) passed away in April of this year he was 84
and my nani is still alive she is 82

OH! I am so sorry to hear but Im sure he lived a great life and maybe you could imagine how tough it is for your grandmother to live without the person she has stayed with for 67 years!
My grandparents had their 50th Anniversary last year! πŸ˜³
cheesemad thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
me:)

Edited.
It was different. I guess I haven't read anything like this anywhere.
I am glad you posted this or else I would have missed such a beautiful and heart warming tale of ArHi:)

This story perfectly depicted ArHi's love for each other. 
there are many things that get faded away with time but love is the nay thing which remains intact in people's heart:)
I loved this OS a lot:)
Edited by cheesemad - 10 years ago
shubhanjli thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
wow so nice.
amazing, loved it..
Getting old with whom you love is a blessing.
Thanks for the pm
Keep writing more os
crazyfanofdsdv thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
loved the OS
super cute
it so adorable how he still is the same arnav who teases kushi
kushi is kushi 
chavvi16 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail